Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2012, 05:36 AM
Cult Master

Extra features have been announced for:

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
  • Commentary - Sophie Aldred (Ace), Jessica Martin (Mags), Christopher Guard (Bellboy), Stephen Wyatt (writer), Andrew Cartmel (script editor) and Mark Ayres (composer); moderated by Toby Hadoke
  • Production Information Subtitles
  • The Show Must Go On - The making of
  • Deleted and Extended scenes
  • Music video - The Psychic Circus
  • Music demos for Remembrance of the Daleks
  • Tomorrow's Times, with Anneke Wills presenting media coverage of the Seventh Doctor
  • Comedy sketch from Victoria Wood - As Seen on TV (originally released with The Curse of Fatal Death on VHS)
  • Radio Times Listings (DVD-ROM)
  • Photo Gallery
  • Coming Soon Trailer

Planet of Giants
  • Commentary - Clive Doig (vision mixer), Brian Hodgson (special sound), Sonia Markham (make-up), and David Tilley (floor assistant); moderated by Mark Ayres
  • Production Information Subtitles
  • Originally a four-part story, producer Verity Lambert decided the storyline was too drawn out so re-edited the final two episodes into one. For this DVD release, those two episodes have been recreated, based on the original scripts and featuring newly recorded dialogue and animation!
  • Rediscovering The Urge To Live, a feature on the recreation of episodes three and four, including contributions from William Russell (Ian), Carole Ann Ford (Susan), John Guilor, Toby Hadoke, Ian Levine (reconstruction director) and Ed Stradling (DVD producer)
  • Doctor Who Stories - Suddenly Susan, with Carole Ann Ford discussing her role as the Doctor's granddaughter
  • The Verity Lambert Tapes, the second part of Verity Lambert's look back on being the first producer of the series
  • Prop Design Plans (DVD-ROM)
  • Radio Times Listings (DVD-ROM)
  • Photo Gallery
  • Coming Soon Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
There's also going to be a Revisitation special edition version of Vengeance on Varos at some point
It's also been announced that the special edition of 'Vengeance on Varos' is due to be released on September 10th. This version will contain the additional new features:
  • 5.1 mix of the soundtrack
  • mono audio track featuring raw studio sound during the recording of the episode
  • isolated music score, both original and 5.1 mix
  • Nice Or Nasty, a feature on the production of the story
  • The Idiot's Lantern, on how Doctor Who has used television
  • Tomorrow's Times, with Sarah Sutton presenting media coverage of the Sixth Doctor
  • excerpt from Saturday Superstore
  • French and Saunders, unused sketch filmed on The Trial Of a Time Lord trial set (originally released with The Curse of Fatal Death on VHS)
  • BBC News reporting on the casting of Colin Baker
  • Breakfast Time, with Frank Bough interviewing Colin Baker
  • The "acid bath" scene from episode two with alternative music

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th May 2012, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Colony In Space. Written by Malcolm Hulke, this is still quite a relevant tale of stripmining and greed and blind obedience.
this is the diffenrence between old and new Who really, the writers had their own bugbears (ecology, workers rights etc) and worked them into the scripts with a deft touch (mostly, The Sunmakers cough cough) whereas the new writers are merely hacks writing to a formula, though i shouldn't complain as no doubt this US redo will make them look like Joyce

AAAnyway.

Pertwee, Delgado (and Helen Worth!!) what's not to like??

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th May 2012, 01:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Colony In Space. Written by Malcolm Hulke, this is still quite a relevant tale of stripmining and greed and blind obedience.
this is the diffenrence between old and new Who really, the writers had their own bugbears (ecology, workers rights etc) and worked them into the scripts with a deft touch (mostly, The Sunmakers cough cough) whereas the new writers are merely hacks writing to a formula, though i shouldn't complain as no doubt this US redo will make them look like Joyce

AAAnyway.

Pertwee, Delgado (and Helen Worth!!) what's not to like??
Never heard Neil Gaiman called a hack writer before.
Old 11th May 2012, 02:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Never heard Neil Gaiman called a hack writer before.
Sweeping statements are my default setting

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th May 2012, 02:34 PM
Cult Master

So, with the full stories that still exist that have not been announced for release...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
•The Third Doctor: The Ambassadors of Death - originally to be released with The Sunmakers, but delayed due to colour recovery issues for episodes 2-7. Current release status unannounced
•The Third Doctor: The Mind of Evil - originally mooted to be released with Terror of the Autons, but dropped due to colour recovery issues for episodes 1-6. In February Steve Roberts reported to Radio Free Skaro that episode one (which does not have a print containing the chromadot information used for the colour recovery process) will be colourised by Babelcolour, using motion-estimation techniques to aid the process
•The Fourth Doctor: Terror of the Zygons, currently expected for release in 2013
•The Fourth Doctor: Shada - existing footage to form part of the provisionally entitled Legacy Boxed Set alongside documentary More Than Thirty Years In The TARDIS
...what do people think will be the last of the classic releases on DVD?

A few years ago, because of it's classic nature, I would have put large amounts of money on 'The Deadly Assassin' being the final release. And then they went and released it!

A few months ago, because of it's title, I would have put large amounts of money of 'The Greatest Show in the Galaxy' being the final release. And then they announce the release date for July!!

Now, I think I am leaning towards 'Terror of the Zygons' being the final release

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th May 2012, 03:03 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
So, with the full stories that still exist that have not been announced for release...

A few years ago, because of it's classic nature, I would have put large amounts of money on 'The Deadly Assassin' being the final release. And then they went and released it!

A few months ago, because of it's title, I would have put large amounts of money of 'The Greatest Show in the Galaxy' being the final release. And then they announce the release date for July!!

Now, I think I am leaning towards 'Terror of the Zygons' being the final release
Second. A classic story to end a classic range.
God, i'm so far behind!

DVD and BD collection
Old 11th May 2012, 03:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post

I think Terror of the Zygons will be released to coincide with their upcoming appearance in the spring.

The last release may well be a reconstructed Tenth Planet or Ice Warriors.
Old 11th May 2012, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'd say Tenth Planet with an animated version of episode 4. Hopefully animation techniques will become more cost effective in future which would allow them animate the likes of Power of the Daleks and Web of Fear.

Blu-ray releases of the two Cushing Dalek movies would also be very nice.
Mojo likes this.
Old 11th May 2012, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
I'd say Tenth Planet with an animated version of episode 4. Hopefully animation techniques will become more cost effective in future which would allow them animate the likes of Power of the Daleks and Web of Fear.

Blu-ray releases of the two Cushing Dalek movies would also be very nice.
I'm reading the new edition of the Target Tenth Planet novel at the mo'. Great stuff.

Animated episodes of missing adventures would be a dream come true ( apart from finding the originals somewhere that is )
RedEyeTheCylon likes this.
Old 11th May 2012, 06:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I'm reading the new edition of the Target Tenth Planet novel at the mo'. Great stuff.

Animated episodes of missing adventures would be a dream come true ( apart from finding the originals somewhere that is )
Remaking some of the missing stories with Matt Smith would be nice as in some ways he's quite simillar to Patrick Troughton.

The Web of Fear would make a terrific two parter.
RedEyeTheCylon likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!