Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28632Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2017, 07:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
The Zygons were always a fave of mine (a shame they weren't used more, although that may have ruined their allure) along with the Yeti marauding around in the London Underground in The Web of Fear. Despite never having watched the story (although I have seen stills from it) I loved the depiction on my Target novel and the story very much. It was the first ever Doctor Who book that I read when I was about 8 years old.
I think the beauty of the Zygons was the fact they were only in it once. Their two appearances in Nu-Who have been good stories but taken away from the dank Scottish moors their impact has been diluted.

There's a BBC book from the 90's - The Body Snatchers - which puts the Zygons in Victorian London that is well worth picking up should you come across it.

The Yeti are excellent in The Web of Fear, definitely worth you purchasing the dvd, B_E.
Old 24th January 2017, 07:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think the beauty of the Zygons was the fact they were only in it once. Their two appearances in Nu-Who have been good stories but taken away from the dank Scottish moors their impact has been diluted.
I can imagine!

Quote:
There's a BBC book from the 90's - The Body Snatchers - which puts the Zygons in Victorian London that is well worth picking up should you come across it.

I have that very book and have read it a few times. It's a great read and one of my favourites from the non-televised eighth doctor's adventures.

Quote:
The Yeti are excellent in The Web of Fear, definitely worth you purchasing the dvd, B_E.
It's on my 'to buy' list!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 24th January 2017, 07:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I can imagine!

I have that very book and have read it a few times. It's a great read and one of my favourites from the non-televised eighth doctor's adventures.

The Zygons suit historical stories rather than modern ones i feel. That's the main reason i feel their presence wasn't as strong. Although there's a scene in The Zygon Invasion which is horrible as a bloke starts to turn into a Zygon in a supermarket. It's really gloopy.

Good on you for owning the book. There's a newer Zygon story - Sting of the Zygons which came out a few years back but is still in print that's also pretty decent. Set in the early 20th century in the Lake District. Guess what's kept in the lakes?

Old 24th January 2017, 08:03 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Good on you for owning the book. There's a newer Zygon story - Sting of the Zygons which came out a few years back but is still in print that's also pretty decent. Set in the early 20th century in the Lake District. Guess what's kept in the lakes?

That cover really doesn't sell it though, which is unfortunate if it is a pretty decent story as you say... not that you should judge a book by its cover of course.
hivemind likes this.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That cover really doesn't sell it though, which is unfortunate if it is a pretty decent story as you say... not that you should judge a book by its cover of course.
No i agree. Those photoshop covers can look quite bland, although some are okay.

The books themselves are rather nice though. Paperback sized hardbacks.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The Zygons were always a fave of mine (a shame they weren't used more, although that may have ruined their allure) along with the Yeti marauding around in the London Underground in The Web of Fear. Despite never having watched the story (although I have seen stills from it) I loved the depiction on my Target novel and the story very much. It was the first ever Doctor Who book that I read when I was about 8 years old.

You should see the story, it's terrific!
Old 24th January 2017, 08:08 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
There's a newer Zygon story - Sting of the Zygons which came out a few years back but is still in print that's also pretty decent. Set in the early 20th century in the Lake District. Guess what's kept in the lakes?
Please let it be this

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th January 2017, 08:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

I have to concur.

The Web of Fear is the most atmospheric Yeti story. Having the pleasure of watching this story was pure Dr Who heaven in my view. I love the build up and the Yeti's appearing in the London Underground. The sets look extremely realistic and solid. Douglas Camfield delivered some tight shots and nice camera angles with those bulky camera's in studio. I much admired Camfield as a director on The Seeds of Doom. Probably one of my fav Dr Who director's of all time. Inferno isn't far behind. Camfield reminds me of Graeme Harper with intriguing use of low camera angles and moody lighting. The Web of Fear has a dark, thoughtful and constructive story. Just wish I could say that about not so new Who today.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Please let it be this

Now that would be telling.
Old 24th January 2017, 08:12 PM
Cult Master

'The Web Of Fear' also features the Cybermen theme music during the battle of Covent Garden scenes!
hivemind likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!