Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd May 2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 343195)
Hi Demdike,
Its really the Master i have a problem with, maybe if there was a series i would have warmed to her more. I haven't heard any of the audio stories. Also i dont think it helped that she sort of killed Sylvester's doctor. ;)

She must have just watched Time and the Rani.

Susan Foreman 23rd May 2013 10:55 PM

Doctor Who News: The Ice Warriors: original trailer to be included on DVD

Susan Foreman 24th May 2013 11:49 AM

Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Roughale 24th May 2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 343430)

After the review of the first movie BD, I went straight to zavvi and ordered the 2BD pack with both films, good to see that film 2 was done well as well ;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th May 2013 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This new book from Marcus Hearn seems a must buy to me.

If its anything like his excellent Hammer books then it will be a delight.

The Vault
by Marcus Hearn
Published by BBC Books on 24 October 2013

Drawing on unseen and iconic material from the BBC archive and private collectors, The Vault is an unforgettable journey through 50 years of Doctor Who, via carefully selected photographs, props, costumes designs, production memos, letters, scripts and more.

This is the full and official story of Doctor Who, from the first pre-production memos in 1963 to the most recent props created for the 2013 series, including interviews with key players and scores of prop photos, design sketches and behind the scenes stills from every decade of the show’s production. Taking you year by year through the world’s
longest running science fiction series, Marcus Hearn explores the show’s groundbreaking innovations as well as its impact on popular culture through books and comics, magazines and toys, merchandise and ephemera.

The Vault is a collector’s dream, and the ultimate celebration of Doctor Who.

Gothmogxx 25th May 2013 11:57 PM

Just finished watching a recon of The Wheel in Space. Pretty good episode. Getting through a lot of the missing episodes at a quicker pace now!

Gothmogxx 25th May 2013 11:58 PM

Does anyone else here watch the reconstructions on youtube?

Demoncrat 27th May 2013 01:22 PM

Will look into these.

The Mutants came early!! Far better looking than my blurry dvdr (DUH), and a great comm by all concerned, even if if I hear Dicks' Robin Bland story again I may scream :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th May 2013 09:40 PM

Have people nothing better to do?

Discriminate! Discriminate! Doctor Who branded 'thunderingly racist' by academics - because he conquers Daleks rather than slavery... and he even likes cricket! | Mail Online

Susan Foreman 28th May 2013 06:37 AM

YouTube - Doctor Who references in other shows

Gothmogxx 28th May 2013 09:04 AM

This more than anything makes me wonder why the Mail is as popular as it is.

Demoncrat 28th May 2013 10:06 AM

Sigh. No doubt this american version will feature a white actor cough. Ah, the M**l, it's funnier than Viz.

Roughale 28th May 2013 11:13 AM

The BBC has already responded to the laughable racist issues:

BBC denies 'Doctor Who' racism allegations - Doctor Who News - Cult - Digital Spy

Hawkmonger 28th May 2013 11:38 AM

Daily Fail = Didn't read

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th May 2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 344075)
Daily Fail = Didn't read

The Mail are thankfully treating it with the contempt it deserves. It must have been tough for them as they love a bit of BBC bashing.

Hawkmonger 30th May 2013 07:40 PM

My top 20 favourite Doctor Who serials!

1) The Talons of Weng Chiang
2) The Invasion
3) The Caves of Androzani
4) Spearhead from Space
5) Rememberance of the Daleks
6) Earthshock
7) The Claws of Axos
8) Battlefield
9) Image of Fendhal
10) Black Orchid
11) Blink
12) Inferno
13) Genesis of the Daleks
14) The Web of Fear
15) The Seeds of Death
17) Horror of Fang Rock
18) Planet of the Ood
19) Ark in Space
20) Curse of Fenric

I might get a flogging for some of these.:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th May 2013 09:26 PM

Like the idea Hawk. :thumb:

I'll have a think and list my top 20 tomorrow.

It would be really interesting if others listed theirs over the next few days too.

Even if they haven't seen everything. :nod:

Keeping it to tv only stories.

Susan Foreman 30th May 2013 10:55 PM

My mission, if I choose to accept it, is to start from the very first episode ('An Unearthly Child'), and go thru the entire series doing the text commentaries

I am aiming to do at least two episodes a day

I am currently up to episode #11 - ''The Rescue' (episode 7 of 'The Daleks')

But what happens when I get to the 'revisitations' and 'special editions'? Do they have different text coms, or are they the same as the original releases?

Gothmogxx 30th May 2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 344531)
My top 20 favourite Doctor Who serials!

1) The Talons of Weng Chiang
2) The Invasion
3) The Caves of Androzani
4) Spearhead from Space
5) Rememberance of the Daleks
6) Earthshock
7) The Claws of Axos
8) Battlefield
9) Image of Fendhal
10) Black Orchid
11) Blink
12) Inferno
13) Genesis of the Daleks
14) The Web of Fear
15) The Seeds of Death
17) Horror of Fang Rock
18) Planet of the Ood
19) Ark in Space
20) Curse of Fenric

I might get a flogging for some of these.:lol:

Very nice! I love The Talons of Weng-Chiang and The Invasion! I'll think of a list too...

Hawkmonger 31st May 2013 05:14 AM

There where a few titles I was uneasy having not included, so the next 5...

21) The Daemons
22) Vincent and the Doctor
23) Terror of the Zygons
24) Pyramids of Mars
25) The Silurians

Demdike@Cult Labs 31st May 2013 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The latest Doctor Who Magazine has an in depth article by Hammer historian Marcus Hearn about Peter Cushing and the Dalek films.

A lot of new photographs as well.

Gothmogxx 1st June 2013 09:31 PM

Well its happening http://io9.com/farewell-eleven-matt-...-who-510860053

Farewell, Matt! It's been a fantastic ride!

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 344946)
Well its happening http://io9.com/farewell-eleven-matt-...-who-510860053

Farewell, Matt! It's been a fantastic ride!

Black woman next, in light of the program being labelled racist. And get in there before it's called sexist too!

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 09:43 PM

It would be great if they could keep the casting quiet until the regeneration at the end of the Christmas special.

PaulD 1st June 2013 10:00 PM

John Hurt, anyone?

Gothmogxx 1st June 2013 10:24 PM

I want Sean Pertwee as number 12!

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 10:24 PM

I've liked Smith as the Doctor but at times there has been a little too much frantic arm waving and silly dashing about, a bit like Troughton on steroids.

Gothmogxx 1st June 2013 10:25 PM

And while I am sad about Matt leaving, I have to say, I think the Moff has to step down as the boss. I'm getting tired about his story arcs. What the show needs is another Philip Hitchcliffe. Under his control, he arguably made seasons 12-14 of the classic series the best the show has ever produced. Gothic horror and sci-fi is the best way to go.

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st June 2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gothmogxx (Post 344958)
And while I am sad about Matt leaving, I have to say, I think the Moff has to step down as the boss. I'm getting tired about his story arcs. What the show needs is another Philip Hitchcliffe. Under his control, he arguably made seasons 12-14 of the classic series the best the show has ever produced. Gothic horror and sci-fi is the best way to go.

Not really sure about Moffat actually.

I thought he was to blame for the recent slump.

However when i think of my favourite stories since he became showrunner they have all come from his pen - Vincent and the Doctor aside.

Possibly he needs to have a firmer grip on what his other writers are coming up with.

Andra Jai 1st June 2013 11:20 PM

I would like Paterson Joseph to get the gig this time around

Susan Foreman 2nd June 2013 06:57 AM

I have had enough of the Doctor being young and good looking. I want to see a return to the Hartnell look, therefore the person playing the part should be older than Ecclestone, Tennant and Smith

I also think it's high time we had a female playing the character

Lastly, whoever it is, needs to be an 'unknown' person

Hawkmonger 2nd June 2013 09:41 AM

No, sorry Suzi but I just think regenerating into a woman is daft and inconsistant. Not to sound sexist but its a male role, he's a male character. I cant place my finger on why but it just feels silly. Sorry.

Ah, farewel Mr. Smith. Its been fun, and you've kept a nation watching even through Journey to the Center of the TARDIS. You where a gem and I was so wrong to judge you early.

As for the next doctor, older, more bitter, no love interest. I vote David Suchet.

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd June 2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 344997)
No, sorry Suzi but I just think regenerating into a woman is daft and inconsistant. Not to sound sexist but its a male role, he's a male character. I cant place my finger on why but it just feels silly. Sorry.

Ah, farewel Mr. Smith. Its been fun, and you've kept a nation watching even through Journey to the Center of the TARDIS. You where a gem and I was so wrong to judge you early.

As for the next doctor, older, more bitter, no love interest. I vote David Suchet.

I felt the same with both Smith and Tennant (whom I had never heard of before). I'm sure whoever they get (or already have), will do a great job.

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd June 2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson (Post 344980)
I have had enough of the Doctor being young and good looking. I want to see a return to the Hartnell look, therefore the person playing the part should be older than Ecclestone, Tennant and Smith

I also think it's high time we had a female playing the character

Lastly, whoever it is, needs to be an 'unknown' person

Smith and Tennant were largely unknown at the time they were cast.

I too would like an older actor, but not geriatric, 45 - 50 would be ideal.

Slippery Jack 2nd June 2013 08:17 PM

:cool: PETER CAPALDI :cool:

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd June 2013 08:20 PM

They're going to throw a curve ball and have Matt Smith regenerate into Paul McGann!

Nemesis 2nd June 2013 08:26 PM

Better still, have him regenerate back into Colin Baker and give him the stories that he really deserved. But that would mean Moffat would have to leave first :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd June 2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemesis (Post 345109)
But that would mean Moffat would have to leave first :nod:

Even better!

Andra Jai 2nd June 2013 08:34 PM

Hey Guys dont know how much truth there is in this, but apparently the Peter Cushing Dalek ltd ed blu-ray set may soon become even more limited than we first thought

Apparently they have used the 10th Doctors Tardis in the menu screen (without permission) and the BBC aren't happy, with talks of a recall these sets are already selling at over £40 on Amazon so if this is true and you have one, they may become highly sought after by whovians

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd June 2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam tyler (Post 345113)
Hey Guys dont know how much truth there is in this, but apparently the Peter Cushing Dalek ltd ed blu-ray set may soon become even more limited than we first thought

Apparently they have used the 10th Doctors Tardis in the menu screen (without permission) and the BBC aren't happy, with talks of a recall these sets are already selling at over £40 on Amazon so if this is true and you have one, they may become highly sought after by whovians

Yeah, I saw that it was going for £40 on Amazon. Wish I hadn't cancelled it now!