Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree27089Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5121  
Old 3rd February 2017, 12:57 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
In my adult life I've never really been much of a Whovian but as a kid I loved it every week, I remember episodes from Tom Baker up to Sylvester McCoy, I think Peter Davison being my most remembered Doctor.

I think that I might want to dip my toe into the waters and get a couple of DVDs. What do you all recommend? I'm not a fan of latter day Who though it has to be said.

Over to you lot
From your post, Justin, i'd say perhaps try Genesis of the Daleks which is seen to be Tom Baker's best story (I'd also perhaps suggest Pyramids of Mars and Terror of the Zygons also) and Earthshock which is a very good Davison story.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71lOSK0sBFL._SL1121_.jpg (94.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 51EC86N6VFL.jpg (38.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 51UixsfjIkL.jpg (54.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 71ED-c7MOtL._SL1249_.jpg (94.6 KB, 0 views)
Reply With Quote
  #5122  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:04 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
From your post, Justin, i'd say perhaps try Genesis of the Daleks which is seen to be Tom Baker's best story (I'd also perhaps suggest Pyramids of Mars and Terror of the Zygons also) and Earthshock which is a very good Davison story.
Thanks Dem, the story arcs always have such excellent names Pyramids of Mars sounds straight out of a Lovecraft story!
nosferatu42 likes this.
__________________


Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Reply With Quote
  #5123  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:06 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

According to the website, my local CEX has Genesis of the Daleks in stock for 3.50 so I'll go and get it on my way home.
__________________


Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Reply With Quote
  #5124  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:12 PM
hivemind's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
In my adult life I've never really been much of a Whovian but as a kid I loved it every week, I remember episodes from Tom Baker up to Sylvester McCoy, I think Peter Davison being my most remembered Doctor.

I think that I might want to dip my toe into the waters and get a couple of DVDs. What do you all recommend? I'm not a fan of latter day Who though it has to be said.

Over to you lot

Some different stories to track down on DVD. Obviously two of the best Baker stories have already been picked. Always enjoyed Tom Baker's opener, Robot.

Hartnell Era
----------------
An Unearthly Child
The Ark

Troughton Era
------------------

The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Web of Fear

Jon Pertwee Era
---------------------

The Green Death
Inferno

Tom Baker Era
------------------

Robot
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Seeds of Doom

Peter Davison Era
----------------------

The Awakening
Frontios
Mawdryn Undead
Black Orchid

Colin Baker Era
-------------------

Revelation of the Daleks
Mark of the Rani

Slyvester McCoy Era
-------------------------

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
Survival
The Curse of Fenric


Those are the ones I would recommend to you.
Reply With Quote
  #5125  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:14 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

That's really helpful, thanks Hivemind.
__________________


Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Reply With Quote
  #5126  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:15 PM
trebor8273's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
According to the website, my local CEX has Genesis of the Daleks in stock for 3.50 so I'll go and get it on my way home.
just make sure its not those DVD that came with a magazine, they are bare bones with none of the excellent extras that a lot who dvds have and the art work on them is awful

had a bunch turn up today that i had forgot that i had ordered, will post pics later
Reply With Quote
  #5127  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:16 PM
Justin101's Avatar
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Liverpool
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
just make sure its not those DVD that came with a magazine, they are bare bones with none of the excellent extras that a lot who dvds have and the art work on them is awful
Thanks Treb, I've already looked on DVD Compare so I knew what kind of features it should have, Genesis has 2 hour long docs on it so i'd definitely want the 2 disc version.
__________________


Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Reply With Quote
  #5128  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:17 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
According to the website, my local CEX has Genesis of the Daleks in stock for 3.50 so I'll go and get it on my way home.
Nice one, hope you love it as much as the rest of us do.
Justin101, trebor8273 and hivemind like this.
Reply With Quote
  #5129  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:24 PM
hivemind's Avatar
Seasoned Cultist
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That's really helpful, thanks Hivemind.
No probs. You've got some great stories to find on DVD. Reminds me of when I first started watching Who stories waaaaay back in the mid-1980's when BBC Video started releasing them on either the rental market or the sell-thru market (retail). My first VHS watch was The Pyramids of Mars from my local VHS rental shop. Then the legendary Brain of Morbius. Those were the days....

Just as a side note. I can remember buying my first Dr Who video from WH. Smith's in Aldershot. I think it was about 1986. And it was The Pyramids of Mars. When the BBC started putting only a select few titles out, they retailed at crazy prices like 24.99. And HMV had the big box rentals of The Brain of Morbius and Revenge of the Cybermen at 45.00 pounds.
Reply With Quote
  #5130  
Old 3rd February 2017, 01:40 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Some different stories to track down on DVD. Obviously two of the best Baker stories have already been picked. Always enjoyed Tom Baker's opener, Robot.

Hartnell Era
----------------
An Unearthly Child
The Ark

Troughton Era
------------------

The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Web of Fear

Jon Pertwee Era
---------------------

The Green Death
Inferno

Tom Baker Era
------------------

Robot
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
The Seeds of Doom

Peter Davison Era
----------------------

The Awakening
Frontios
Mawdryn Undead
Black Orchid

Colin Baker Era
-------------------

Revelation of the Daleks
Mark of the Rani

Slyvester McCoy Era
-------------------------

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
Survival
The Curse of Fenric


Those are the ones I would recommend to you.
Some interesting choices, Hivemind.

An Unearthly Child, first episode aside, i find a bit of a chore to get through. I'd have picked The Mutants (The Daleks), instead.

Talons is an obvious choice but i avoided that as the best release of the story is in a Revisitations set and would therefore cost more money. Robot i've always thought was just okay.

I watched The Awakening last week again. It still stands up. I remember when it was transmitted, i was sure it was a sequel to The Daemons. Mawdryn Undead is one of those stories i don't watch very often and is due a rewatch, Arc of Infinity falls into that category, in fact the whole season does, so i watched Arc over two nights this week... and thoroughly enjoyed it. Frontios is just brilliant.

I'd always choose Ghost Light as well as Fenric and Survival, not to mention Remembrance of the Daleks if asked about McCoy's adventures. Four very different stories that show how varied the show really is.

I've said before on here. Season 26 is probably my favourite season of Doctor Who. and as with everything is always about personal choice.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.