Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2012 06:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The Beginning Box Set is the place to start.

£8.99

Criterion7 15th May 2012 06:53 PM

Beginnings alongside New Beginnings sounds tempting. I'll be honest though aside from The Dalekx it's not my favorite stories. I'll admit the shocking truth that Hartnell was a lesser doctor for me. ( I preferred Troughton over him)...I now prepare for the lashing by fellow Whovians.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2012 06:56 PM

7 Attachment(s)
If you want colour rather than black and white then The Dalek War box is good value - 12 episodes for £11.49

or Beneath the Surface which is 18 episodes for £10. This represents best value being three stories.

Criterion7 15th May 2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 242274)
If you want colour rather than black and white then The Dalek War box is good value - 12 episodes for £11.49

or Beneath the Surface which is 18 episodes for £10. This represents best value being three stories.

You sir definitely know your doctor who. I was actually looking at both sets today.
Might pick up Genesis of the Daleks as well. It's always been a favorite of mine.

Which has the better features Dalek War or Beneath the Surface? That's usually the deciding factor for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2012 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 242270)
Beginnings alongside New Beginnings sounds tempting. I'll be honest though aside from The Dalekx it's not my favorite stories. I'll admit the shocking truth that Hartnell was a lesser doctor for me. ( I preferred Troughton over him)...I now prepare for the lashing by fellow Whovians.

Its really each to their own regarding favourite Doctors.

I never rated Hartnell up to about six years ago, now he's possibly my favourite Doctor.

The Aztecs and The Romans are excellent historical adventures and in the case of The Romans really funny.

Criterion7 15th May 2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 242280)
Its really each to their own regarding favourite Doctors.

I never rated Hartnell up to about six years ago, now he's possibly my favourite Doctor.

The Aztecs and The Romans are excellent historical adventures and in the case of The Romans really funny.

I can't say I've really seen enough to judge him honestly. I don't really have any doctor that I do not enjoy.

Recently got into the Big Finish audios and I have to say I thoroughly look forward to any Colin Baker adventure.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th May 2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 242277)
You sir definitely know your doctor who. I was actually looking at both sets today.
Might pick up Genesis of the Daleks as well. It's always been a favorite of mine.

Which has the better features Dalek War or Beneath the Surface? That's usually the deciding factor for me.

Honestly i can't say.

With Beneath The Surface you get three stories, therefore more features. :happy:

Criterion7 15th May 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 242289)
Honestly i can't say.

With Beneath The Surface you get three stories, therefore more features. :happy:

I'll probably go with Beneath the Surface because I'm pretty sure it had that really cool fencing scene between the Doctor and the Master.

Susan Foreman 16th May 2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 242277)

'Beneath the Surface'

Doctor Who and the Silurians - Disc 1 (episodes 1 - 4)
  • Commentary with director Timothy Combe, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, actors Caroline John, Peter Miles, Geoffrey Palmer and Nicholas Courtney.
  • What Lies Beneath (dur. 35' 11") - a fascinating documentary from Steve Broster, showing how the socio-political climate of the late sixties and the hopes and fears of the British population helped to shape this Doctor Who story. Featuring director Timothy Combe, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, actors Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney and Peter Miles, new series writer Paul Cornell and former MP Roy Hattersley. Narrated by Geoffrey Palmer.
  • Isolated Music - isolated synchronous music from the story.

Disc 2 (episodes 5 - 7)
  • Commentary with director Timothy Combe, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, actors Caroline John, Peter Miles, Geoffrey Palmer and Nicholas Courtney.
  • Going Underground (dur. 19' 09") - the story's producer, director and designer discuss the problems of shooting underground caves and cave-dwelling monsters… in the confines of a television studio! Featuring Barry Letts, Timothy Combe and Barry Newbery, with more than a little help from script editor Terrance Dicks and actors Caroline John, Nicholas Courtney and Peter Miles. Produced by Steve Broster.
  • Now and Then (dur. 9' 39") - Richard Bignell's latest offering in our irregular series, comparing and contrasting the locations used in the story during production with how they appear today. Narrated by Geoffrey Palmer.
  • Musical Scales (dur. 13' 54") - producer John Kelly takes a look at an extraordinary era of musical experimentation within Doctor Who in the late sixties and early seventies, with special emphasis on the musical scores for 'Doctor Who and the Silurians' and 'The Sea Devils'. With producer Barry Letts, composer Mark Ayres and directors Timothy Combe, Christopher Barry and Michael Briant, with an archive appearance from Radiophonic composer Malcolm Clarke.
  • Colour Silurian Overlay (dur. 4' 42") - a fascinating featurette from Steven Bagley, explaining how the story was restored to its present glory using a combination of black and white film prints, off-air American Betamax video recordings and modern video processing technology. Narrated by Ian. T. Williams.
  • Photo Gallery (dur. 6' 01") - production and publicity photos from the story.
  • Coming Soon (dur. 1' 03") - trail for a forthcoming release.
  • PDF Material - Radio Times billings for the story's original transmission.

The Sea Devils
  • Commentary with director Michael Briant, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks, moderated by late-eighties script editor Andrew Cartmel.
  • Hello Sailor! (dur.36' 37") - the trials and tribulations faced during the making of this classic Doctor Who adventure are discussed by members of the cast and production team in this highly entertaining featurette from George Williams. Featuring producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, director Michael Briant, actors Katy Manning and Donald Sumpter and stuntman Stuart Fell, along with Royal Navy personnel who appeared as extras during location filming. Narrated by David Cann.
  • 8mm Film (dur. 3' 51") - an amateur cine film shot during location filming at the Royal Naval base by one of the sailors who appeared as an extra. With a commentary from director Michael Briant, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks.
  • Trails and Continuity (dur. 6' 18") - BBC1 trails and continuity recreated from off-air audio recordings made during the story's original transmission in 1972.
  • Photo Gallery (dur. 8' 38") - production and publicity photos from the story.
  • PDF Material - Radio Times billings for the story's original transmission, plus the Piccolo book 'The Making of Doctor Who'.

Warriors of the Deep
  • Commentary with actors Peter Davison and Janet Fielding, script editor Eric Saward and visual effects designer Mat Irvine.
  • The Depths (dur. 31' 42" ) - production and cast members recall with some amusement their experiences of working on the story, in the face of a foreshortened shooting schedule, camera-hogging guest stars and a giant green amphibious pantomime horse... Steve Broster's affectionate documentary features contributions from director Pennant Roberts, writer Johnny Byrne, actors Peter Davison, Janet Fielding, Ian McCulloch, James Coombes and John Asquith, visual effects designer Mat Irvine, continuity advisor Ian Levine and documentary producer Ed Stradling. Narrated by David Harley.
  • They Came from Beneath the Sea (dur 12' 53") - another Steve Broster featurette, focussing on the realisation of the story's non-human cast - the Silurians, the Sea Devils and the dreaded Myrka. Featuring Pennant Roberts, Peter Davison, Johnny Byrne, Mat Irvine, with actors William Perrie and John Asquith (Myrka front and rear respectively). 16:9FHA
  • Science in Action - (dur. 5' 58") - BBC Schools presenter Kjartan Poskitt talks to visual effects designer Mat Irvine about some of the techniques and plastic materials he uses in his job in this programme extract from 1987.
  • Trails and Continuities (dur. 3' 57") - BBC1 trails continuity announcements from the story's original transmission.
  • Photo Gallery (dur. 7' 42") - production and publicity photos from the story.
  • PDF Material - Radio Times billings for the story's original transmission.

'Dalek War'

Frontier in Space:
  • Commentary with actor Katy Manning, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks, moderated by Clayton Hickman.
  • Perfect Scenario: Lost Frontier (dur. 30' 04") - A new two-part feature from 'What Lies Beneath' producer Steve Broster and writer David Harley. In the far future, the remaining population of an oxygen-depleted planet Earth lies in enforced stasis in The Field of Dreams, their minds kept active through the work of scenariosmiths. Looking for ideas to help him re-connect to his captive audience, Zed, a young scenariosmith, turns to the world of Doctor Who for inspiration… Featuring interviews with actors Katy Manning, Janet Fielding, Vera Fusek and Michael Hawkins, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, visual effects designers John Friedlander and Mat Irvine. With Rich Batsford, Mick Broster, Tony Broster, Henry Dunn and Paul Ewing, and the voices of Steve Broster, David Harley and Cathryn Miller. Written by David Harley.
  • The Space War (dur. 17' 57") - cast and crew look back at the making of the story. Featuring actors Katy Manning, Vera Fusek and Michael Hawkins, visual effects designers John Friedlander and Mat Irvine. Produced by Steve Broster.
  • Roger Delgado: The Master (dur. 32' 35") - a biography of actor Roger Delgado, most famous for playing the Doctor's arch-nemesis The Master from his introduction in 1971 until his tragic death two years later. Featuring previously unseen photographs, rare excerpts from his many BBC TV appearances and interviews with those who knew and loved him. With his wife, Kismet Marlowe, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks, director Christopher Barry, actors Katy Manning, Linda Thorson, Harry Towb, Frazer Hines, William Gaunt and Damaris Hayman, stunt coordinator Derek Ware. Narrated by Stephen Greif. Produced by John Kelly.
  • Stripped for Action: The Third Doctor (dur. 16' 05") - the ongoing series looking at the Doctor's comic book adventures reaches his third incarnation. With former Doctor Who Magazine editors Gary Russell and Alan Barnes, comic historians John Ainsworth and Jeremy Bentham, author Paul Scoones.

Planet of the Daleks:
  • Commentary wth actors Katy Manning, Prentis Hancock and Tim Preece, producer Barry Letts and script editor Terrance Dicks.
  • Perfect Scenario: The End of Dreams (dur. 30' 04") - Continuing his search for inspiration, scenariosmith Zed resumes his studies of twentieth century television's Doctor Who. What he finds will have a profound effect on the lives of all of the remaining sleepers in The Field of Dreams… Featuring interviews with actors Katy Manning, Jane How, Janet Fielding, Bernard Horsfall and Tim Preece, producer Barry Letts, script editor Terrance Dicks. With Rich Batsford, Mick Broster, Tony Broster and Paul Ewing, and the voices of Steve Broster, David Harley and Cathryn Miller. Written by David Harley.
  • The Rumble in the Jungle (dur. 16' 46") - cast and crew look back at the making of the story. Featuring actors Katy Manning, Jane How, Bernard Horsfall and Tim Preece, director David Maloney and designer John Hurst. Produced by Steve Broster.
  • Multi-colourisation (dur. 10' 47") - a look at the colour restoration of episode three. With producer Barry Letts, Colour Recovery Working Group leader James Insell, 2entertain commissioning editor Dan Hall and colourist Jonathan Wood. Narrated by Glen Allen. Produced by Ed Stradling.
  • Stripped for Action: The Daleks (dur. 13' 54") - the ongoing series looking at the Doctor's comic book adventures focuses on his deadliest foes - the Daleks! With TV producer Gerry Anderson, former Doctor Who Magazine editors Alan Barnes and Clayton Hickman, comic historian Jeremy Bentham and author Paul Scoones.
  • Blue Peter (dur. 12' 34") - two items from the childrens' magazine programme, featuring an appeal for any information on the theft of two Daleks from the BBC and their subsequent return.

All discs also feature Programme Subtitles and Subtitle Production Notes.

Criterion7 16th May 2012 08:04 AM

Thanks. Those are some incredible features I'm still leaning towards Beneath the Surface but the Delgado featurette is really tempting. The Master is my favorite villain.