Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th February 2017, 07:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Spearhead from Space

My brain being rather on the small side cannot hold much memory,a bit like one of those old memory cards with 54mg,I need to upgrade to at least 4 gig of memory for me to retain any information before the last lot of info is pushed out the other side of me head.Thus I was very surprised that I had in fact seen Spearhead From Space after all,I could of sworn blind that I had not watched it before,even after reading the synopsis.But as soon as I saw Mr Pertwee stumble out of the Tardis and being taken away by the men of Unit to the hospital it all came flooding back.Well it nearly did,for one thing the Blu Ray version looks superb,and for what I am assuming (i have no idea of the budget for the series at the time) is a low budget BBC show,looks tremendously sharp and crisp,obviously being filmed in 16mm film stock adds mightily to the look of the story. Once the story is up and running you instantly get the impression that Jon Pertwee is really putting his stamp on the role as the new Dr,I should imagine at the time of broadcast this would of been a hell of change in acting style compared to Patrick Troughton,with Pertwee coming over all flamboyant dandy.I won't go in to much depth about the story,since im pretty sure you are all more familiar with the story more than I am.Lets just say its your standard alien invasion with added meteorites,but of course with any of the early Dr Who series,it was always how good the monster or aliens looked,well as a kid that was how I use to measure an episode any way.Well the Autons would of been pretty scary to the little me back then,and the scene where the showroom dummies in the windows of the shops coming alive and shooting everybody,would of given me nightmares that evening,even if they were all wearing dressing gowns. Caroline John's as the new assistant was just as irritating as any of the other assistants,me personally I would prefer the Dr to be a solo character,but hey who am I to argue.Apart from the Dr himself,my favourite character is Nicholas Courtney as the Brigadier with just enough British stiff upper lip to make him a pretty likeable character.Overall a very entertaining story and a good start to the Pertwee years,My only gripe would be Ed Wood style octopus the Dr has to fight off towards the end,still Pertwee does a a fine job grappling with the tentacles and looking all boss eyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dvd-spearheadSE.jpg (94.3 KB, 1 views)

Old 14th February 2017, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Great post, Inspector. Thanks for sharing your views with us.
Old 15th February 2017, 09:52 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 33

Time Heist (2014)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_Teller_TH.jpg (34.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 15th February 2017, 02:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
My brain being rather on the small side cannot hold much memory,a bit like one of those old memory cards with 54mg,I need to upgrade to at least 4 gig of memory for me to retain any information before the last lot of info is pushed out the other side of me head.Thus I was very surprised that I had in fact seen Spearhead From Space after all,I could of sworn blind that I had not watched it before,even after reading the synopsis.But as soon as I saw Mr Pertwee stumble out of the Tardis and being taken away by the men of Unit to the hospital it all came flooding back.Well it nearly did,for one thing the Blu Ray version looks superb,and for what I am assuming (i have no idea of the budget for the series at the time) is a low budget BBC show,looks tremendously sharp and crisp,obviously being filmed in 16mm film stock adds mightily to the look of the story. Once the story is up and running you instantly get the impression that Jon Pertwee is really putting his stamp on the role as the new Dr,I should imagine at the time of broadcast this would of been a hell of change in acting style compared to Patrick Troughton,with Pertwee coming over all flamboyant dandy.I won't go in to much depth about the story,since im pretty sure you are all more familiar with the story more than I am.Lets just say its your standard alien invasion with added meteorites,but of course with any of the early Dr Who series,it was always how good the monster or aliens looked,well as a kid that was how I use to measure an episode any way.Well the Autons would of been pretty scary to the little me back then,and the scene where the showroom dummies in the windows of the shops coming alive and shooting everybody,would of given me nightmares that evening,even if they were all wearing dressing gowns. Caroline John's as the new assistant was just as irritating as any of the other assistants,me personally I would prefer the Dr to be a solo character,but hey who am I to argue.Apart from the Dr himself,my favourite character is Nicholas Courtney as the Brigadier with just enough British stiff upper lip to make him a pretty likeable character.Overall a very entertaining story and a good start to the Pertwee years,My only gripe would be Ed Wood style octopus the Dr has to fight off towards the end,still Pertwee does a a fine job grappling with the tentacles and looking all boss eyed.
I can't imagine how many times I have watched this (30?). Recommend Web Of Fear, as it contains ALS' debut and is cracking stuff cough. And The Daemons then....so you will finally see where "that line" comes from haha

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 15th February 2017, 03:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Great review, Inspector. This is probably my most watched Dr Who story - and still my all time favourite.
Old 15th February 2017, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Great review, Inspector. This is probably my most watched Dr Who story - and still my all time favourite.
Interesting thought.

Which is other members most watched story?
Old 15th February 2017, 06:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Interesting thought.

For me its Brain of Morbius.

715GaHFlxTL._SL1118_.jpg

Old 15th February 2017, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Interesting thought.

I think mine is Remembrance of the Daleks.
Old 15th February 2017, 07:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

will have to say these two as its too close to call between them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2cbtd0p80e51000.jpg (84.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (102.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 15th February 2017, 08:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Don't hate me but The Five Doctors!

Like this? Share it using the links below!