Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th May 2012, 01:16 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
I like that. I think my biggest problem with the early stuff was that Ian never engaged me the way Jamie, Sarah Jane, Harry Sullivan or Peri did.

Susan I immediately liked. I have a feeling I just need to find that one episode that wins me over or even that one scene.

I think every doctor has that defining moment where you are ready to be taken on that journey.
With the first Doctor, the story unfolds over many weeks. The first series ran for 42 weeks.

The Doctor never wanted Ian and Barbara in the Tardis, they were interfering as far as he was concerned. As the first series progresses the mood gradually changes and the four become friends. In a way it was a story arc that ran for almost a year.

The writing of dialogue was at times outstanding, even like poetry, like in this delicious quote from Marco Polo. (A brilliant story sadly only available on audio).

Marco Polo:- "On my travels to Cathay, Ian, I have come to believe many things I'd previously doubted. For instance, when I was a boy in Venice, they told me that in Cathay there was a stone that burned. I did not believe, but there is such a stone: I have seen it. And if stone burns, why not a caravan that flies? Birds fly; I have even seen fish that fly. You are asking me to believe that your caravan can defy the passage of the sun? Move not merely from one place to another, but from today into tomorrow, today to yesterday? No Ian, that I cannot believe".
Old 25th May 2012, 01:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

This brilliant line from Barbara in The Space Museum sums up the whole Hartnell era.

" The Doctor's curious, that means we stay".
Old 25th May 2012, 02:53 PM
Cult Addict

The year long run of the first season must have been quite the magnum opus to view at the time.

DVD and BD collection
Old 25th May 2012, 03:34 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
The year long run of the first season must have been quite the magnum opus to view at the time.
Don't forget that for the first few years of the show, each episode had an individual title, so the viewer didn't know when one story ended, and another one began - especially confusing when you consider stories like 'The Ark', which had two episodes set in one time period (and apparently ended), with the next two episodes taking place in the same location, but many years later, and also the whole 'Mission to the Unknown'/'The Myth Makers'/'The Daleks Masterplan' story arc!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th May 2012, 07:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowFan View Post
If one was to put together a top 20 of Doctor Who serials what would be on your lists? Be interesting to know what people consider there personal favorites.

It may seem heretical to say but out of all the doctors Hartnell has yet to capture my interest though my exposure to his stories are extremely limited to be quite honest .
For Hartnell, I'd recommend The Time Meddler. As to the others, here's my favourite episodes (the ones I've seen so far):

Pat Troughton - The War Games
Jon Pertwee - Inferno
Tom Baker - Seeds of Doom
Peter Davison - Caves of Androzani
Colin Baker - Vengeance on Varos
Sylvester McCoy - Remembrance of the Daleks
Paul McGann - The Movie (obviously )
Chris Eccleston - tbh not seen enough of him to make a judgment, but I did like him in Parting of the Ways
David Tennant - Human Nature/Family of Blood
Matt Smith - The Doctor's Wife
Old 26th May 2012, 05:55 AM
Cult Master

Normally the show would be on by now, but I think it makes more sense having it screened during the winter

This post is not saying anything important, but it's the only thing that I could think of putting so I could include this picture!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic012.jpg (46.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 26th May 2012, 11:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just read this over on the missing episodes forum. A missing episode of a BBC show called A Whole Scene Going from 1966 has recently turned up on eBay. The exciting thing is that this particular edition features about 5 minutes of newly discovered behind the scenes footage of the filming of one of the Dalek scenes from Daleks - Invasion earth 2150 A.D.

Link to the auction: Missing ,wiped, lost BBC show on 16mm film "A Whole Scene Going". Daleks! | eBay

Should be interesting to see how much it goes for!
Old 26th May 2012, 12:37 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
Just read this over on the missing episodes forum. A missing episode of a BBC show called A Whole Scene Going from 1966 has recently turned up on eBay. The exciting thing is that this particular edition features about 5 minutes of newly discovered behind the scenes footage of the filming of one of the Dalek scenes from Daleks - Invasion earth 2150 A.D.

Link to the auction: Missing ,wiped, lost BBC show on 16mm film "A Whole Scene Going". Daleks! | eBay

Should be interesting to see how much it goes for!
'A Whole Scene Going On' was a music programme from the 1960's - sorta like an early version of 'The Old Grey Whistle Test'

Presumably most (if not all) of the 'Doctor Who' material featured here has already been seen as DVD extras

If it is genuinely unseen footage, I wonder why the seller, who states that they have it for 20 years, has not approached the BBC with this unseen material!

Old 26th May 2012, 12:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post

If it is genuinely unseen footage, I wonder why the seller, who states that they have it for 20 years, has not approached the BBC with this unseen material!
If the BBC made a copy of it then it would automatically lower its value, presumably he wants to make as much money as possible from the sale of it. Although he has posted on the missing episodes forum saying he offered it to the BBC for a price before he listed it on eBay.

It also says this in the eBay listing:
"Due to the enormous cultural value of this auction, I am stipulating that the winning bidder must lend the print to the BBC who will then make a digital copy and return it. The winning bidder agrees to have their details forwarded to my contact at the BBC. I am happy for you to get the credit for the show’s recovery."
Old 26th May 2012, 12:59 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
If the BBC made a copy of it then it would automatically lower its value, presumably he wants to make as much money as possible from the sale of it. Although he has posted on the missing episodes forum saying he offered it to the BBC for a price before he listed it on eBay.

It also says this in the eBay listing:
"Due to the enormous cultural value of this auction, I am stipulating that the winning bidder must lend the print to the BBC who will then make a digital copy and return it. The winning bidder agrees to have their details forwarded to my contact at the BBC. I am happy for you to get the credit for the show’s recovery."
Obviously not a true fan then!

Only interested in money and not the importance of the footage on 'offer'

Hope the sale fails!

Like this? Share it using the links below!