Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28651Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th March 2010, 11:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
As for my favourite story, I would probably have to go with The Tomb of the Cybermen from the Troughton era, yet there were many others that I loved: Genesis of the Daleks, Inferno, The Green Death, Terror of the Autons, The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Inferno is superb. One of the all time best.

The whole Jon Pertwee first season has never been bettered, in my opinion.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:34 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Spearhead From Space and Claws Of Axos are probably my favourite Pertwees.
Old 25th March 2010, 11:43 AM
Cult Acolyte

Two gems there, vincenzo. Spearhead From Space would be my favourite Who of all time. Followed by Inferno and The Invasion.
Old 25th March 2010, 12:32 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I loved Inferno. Stands up superbly today.

I quite enjoyed the Quatermass-style Ambassadors Of Death though it went on just a little bit too long for me. 2 episodes shorter and it would have been a masterpiece.
Old 25th March 2010, 02:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Ambassadors Of Death is another top story ( season 7 again! ).

Would love to see this one on dvd, but I believe some episodes only exist in b&w form at the moment. The restoration team did a superb job of colourising one of the Planet Of The Daleks episodes, so here's hoping this one gets the same treatment ( and soon! )
Old 25th March 2010, 02:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I have Ambassadors on VHS (together with all of the surviving first 10 years) and about half of it is in b&w. The Restoration Team blended the 85 mins or so of surviving colour in with the mono prints to produce a 'fade-in/out' effect. They did a fine job but it does distract from the story.

The Silurians, The Daemons & Terror Of The Autons also existed only as uncut/b&w (UK) and cut/colour (US) prints. For video they blended them together and coloured the overlaying footage using Paintbox. A brilliant piece of work.
Old 25th March 2010, 03:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

I used to have the VHS Ambassadors but flogged it a few years ago in a moment of madness, thinking it would be out on dvd sometime soon

The Silurians is another cracking story. The Daemons and Terror Of The Autons are another two that need the dvd treatment. I guess it's the state of some of the Pertwee materials that is holding up some of these releases?

The 'Lost In Time' dvd is interesting stuff ( featuring the Hartnell + Troughton years ) although frustrating by the same token, as you only get a glimpse of one or two episodes from serials that would be tv gold on dvd.
Old 25th March 2010, 03:24 PM
Active Cultist

Yeah, I've watched that one Underwater Menace episode many, many times. It's just superb, Zaroff's iconic line at the end 'Nuzzing in Ze vurld can ztop me now!'

Just awesome and I want the full story. Damn the BBC from the 60's.
Old 25th March 2010, 03:27 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
The 'Lost In Time' dvd is interesting stuff ( featuring the Hartnell + Troughton years ) although frustrating by the same token, as you only get a glimpse of one or two episodes from serials that would be tv gold on dvd.
I know. It's genuinely frustrating. Of the Hartnell years I'd love to see intact prints of The Celestial Toymaker, The Myth Makers and Marco Polo. Both of the latter are completely missing.

The Troughton years fare even worse. I'd love to see the other contemporary London stories (The Web Of Fear and especially The Faceless Ones) plus The Macra Terror.
Old 25th March 2010, 03:30 PM
Active Cultist

I just want to see every lost story, they are all bound to be superb. I've listened to most of the audios and they are great, albeit nothing willl ever measure up to watching them which will sadly never happen.

Like this? Share it using the links below!