Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28656Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st July 2017, 07:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I thought John Simm was excellent tonight.

Take all the maudlin Bill / puddle stuff away and it was a very good episode.

Look forward to the Christmas special.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 1st July 2017, 07:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I thought John Simm was excellent tonight.

Take all the maudlin Bill / puddle stuff away and it was a very good episode.

Look forward to the Christmas special.
agree. Simm's was excellent and Bill became annoying very quickly!

Christmas can't come soon enough!

Last edited by trebor8273; 1st July 2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 1st July 2017, 11:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 170

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 3rd July 2017 at 08:45 AM.
Old 2nd July 2017, 09:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw The Doctor Falls last night. It was.... quite good, I guess. Nowhere near as good as last week's, predictably, and back to the usual New Who 'spectacular', but as far as that goes, it was actually... okay. Certainly the best finale since The Big Bang all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in series 5. All a bit messy and plotless but entertaining enough thanks to the cast (I do hope Simm comes back again some time). Bill's fate was well done, and I actually saw it coming after last week's. Some people are annoyed by that but at least it was set up in the season premiere, and it would have been too grim by far to have had her stay and die as a Cyberman.
Really not sure about this Bradley thing, though. I find it vaguely irritating that Moffat avoided using the classic Doctors like the plague in the 50th (bar 30 seconds of Tom) and then suddenly decides to have a multi-Doctor story with a classic Doctor in Capaldi's regeneration story and then, to rub salt in the wound, elects to recast a dead man rather than use any of the real classic Doctors whose actors are still actually bloody alive!
All in all series 10 was okay. It was a massive improvement on the utterly dire three previous seasons just by virtue of being an average, passable enough season, if nothing extraordinary. Still very glad we have only one to go and this era will finally be over though!
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Saw The Doctor Falls last night. It was.... quite good, I guess. Nowhere near as good as last week's, predictably, and back to the usual New Who 'spectacular', but as far as that goes, it was actually... okay. Certainly the best finale since The Big Bang all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in series 5. All a bit messy and plotless but entertaining enough thanks to the cast (I do hope Simm comes back again some time). Bill's fate was well done, and I actually saw it coming after last week's. Some people are annoyed by that but at least it was set up in the season premiere, and it would have been too grim by far to have had her stay and die as a Cyberman.
Really not sure about this Bradley thing, though. I find it vaguely irritating that Moffat avoided using the classic Doctors like the plague in the 50th (bar 30 seconds of Tom) and then suddenly decides to have a multi-Doctor story with a classic Doctor in Capaldi's regeneration story and then, to rub salt in the wound, elects to recast a dead man rather than use any of the real classic Doctors whose actors are still actually bloody alive!
All in all series 10 was okay. It was a massive improvement on the utterly dire three previous seasons just by virtue of being an average, passable enough season, if nothing extraordinary. Still very glad we have only one to go and this era will finally be over though!
In moffats defense how would he explain the doctors looking a lot older than they were when they died? Granted it could be part of the story but it would all be a little off to me, but they all should of gotten a cameo like Tom in the 50th special.

Me I would of preferred a grim ending for bill instead of the usual cop out moffat ending. Me I'm glad she's gone she was so annoying in the episode and don't get me started on the whole puddle thing. Bad writing and poor acting hoping we get a better companion for series 11, be hard to get one worse than Bill and Clara!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 2nd July 2017, 10:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

How do you explain the First Doctor not looking anything like Hartnell?!!? Talk about a lame excuse!

It doesn't help that I thought Bradley was pretty awful in his "Doctor" scenes in AIISAT, and his delivery of "the original, you might say" was pretty weak even compared to Hurndall!
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:27 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Ah, the return of quiet sexism!

Believe it or not, there are a lot of Doctors out there who are female. Some of them are not white as well...

I find that sort of snide comment quite insulting tbh. And as for that "not white as well" comment....

I suppose if they decide to make James Bond black, and some people have a problem (even though he's described as looking like Hoagy carmichael ) that'll be a cause for the PC brigade to get all huffy and cry racist (or sexist, if we ever got a "Jane Bond"?
Demdike@Cult Labs and iank like this.
Old 2nd July 2017, 11:42 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sorry if that sounds harsh though.

https://youtu.be/5NdUKBL5UYk
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 3rd July 2017, 05:25 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Sorry if that sounds harsh though.

https://youtu.be/5NdUKBL5UYk
In the first Dalek story, Ian describes them as having 'a dislike for the unlike' when trying to rationalise their hatred to one of the Thals
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd July 2017, 05:51 AM
Cult Master

Apparently, this illustration was only used for the first editions of the Target 'Tenth Planet' release. It isn't on the reprints

SPOILER:
Obviously it influenced Steven Moffat for the end of 'The Doctor Falls'
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!