Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28633Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th July 2017, 10:25 AM
Cult Addict

Oh for ****s sake i thought we'd got shot of her, i think she's one of my least favourite companions ever.
Apart from Bonnie Langford that is.
trebor8273 likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th July 2017, 10:37 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Oh for ****s sake i thought we'd got shot of her, i think she's one of my least favourite companions ever.
Apart from Bonnie Langford that is.
I preferred her to Bill and a puddle. (Thought that ending was so wet)

Hope Ashaldir stays away though.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th July 2017, 10:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
According to reports everywhere, Jenna Coleman is returning at Christmas.
why her? so many other companions they could bring back, especially with her being so despised by so many

pushing her down peoples throats is not going to make her any more popular.
Old 4th July 2017, 10:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
why her? so many other companions they could bring back, why her especially with her being so despised by so many

pushing her down peoples throats is not going to make her any more popular.
Because she was the only Capaldi companion, that's why. Up until Bill and Nardole of course.

She is a very popular actress with the public too. Hence the success she achieved with Victoria.

The audiences clearly preferred her as well as the show lost a million viewers when she left.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Because she was the only Capaldi companion, that's why. Up until Bill and Nardole of course.

She is a very popular actress with the public too. Hence the success she achieved with Victoria.

The audiences clearly preferred her as well as the show lost a million viewers when she left.
To give her, her due she was better than Bill(as you said) and a hell of a better actress than Pearl Mackie.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:11 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
To give her, her due she was better than Bill(as you said) and a hell of a better actress than Pearl Mackie.
I much preferred Donna and (your fave ) Rose to Clara though.

It's a pity Bill's scripts became worse and worse, for me it diluted her final story a bit which was good.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th July 2017, 11:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I much preferred Donna and (your fave ) Rose to Clara though.

It's a pity Bill's scripts became worse and worse, for me it diluted her final story a bit which was good.
Donna was also my fav, was never that keen on Rose
Old 4th July 2017, 11:31 AM
Cult Addict

I liked Rose, Donna And Amy much more than Clara, who dominated the storyline too much and seemed too uptight to me.
Bill i liked at first but she became less interesting as the series went on.
Martha was a bit of a lame duck i thought.
Men wise i liked both Rory and Nardole.
trebor8273 likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 4th July 2017, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist

While we are on the wave of a companion discussion, let me hop on my board and ride along (sorry the closest emoji to a surfer I found here^^):

I liked Rose, as she was the first companion for me after so many years since I last saw some Doctor Who (some Tom Baker episodes were shown on an English language cable TV project channel, I had running many hours a day for the language alone and I quickly feel in love with that series!), somehow I liked the way she took the pretty rough kind of treatment she got from the Eccle-Doc. I still think his first appearance was so well done that it is a big reason why I got hooked immediately and after being frustrated with the German dub, I was lucky to find out that they were already out on DVD and in English it was the biz for me! I also thought that her "end" was well done, that sounds familiar, I guess I am on repeat LOL. Next up was Martha Jones, she was OK to me but allow me thje pun, she was a bit pale in comparison to Rose... Donna had such a great impact on the show, her excellent interplay with Doc David and her comedic skills made her maybe my favourite companion of all Nu Who! Tough to beat, but they managed to stay on par with Amy again with an excellent introduction (it has to be said that Rory plays a big part here!). So that was a row of 4 companions (yes, martha was not that bad, really) that worked really well, they took part in the action and they also did some shaping of the Doctor and after that, I sensed a break, I don'zt know if there is a reason behind this, but somehow the Doctor has changed a lot in the Moffat years, not alwaysw in a good direction if you ask me. But somehow the importance of a companion became less important to either the Doctor or to the writers (or both?), hence we got a rather weak Clara and then a quickly dried out Bill (who I think had a good start, I thought we get back to the more important role for a companion), but we know how that turned out - time for pun #2: Her role was quickly watered down... I think this is all connected with the emotional struggles the Doctor goes through, which should find an end soon, it was good for a moment, but I think it lasted too long, maybe the new era will get us a better mooded Doc back and he will open up again to a companion who may grow with him and take a bigger part...

Wow, I am impressed myself, no idea where the words came from, but I hope they make some sense, I guess I am a Doctor Who Nerd after all
Old 4th July 2017, 12:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Great post Roughale.

I wonder what Chris Chibnall has in mind for the next series. H ecan clearly write for two leads as Broadchurch proved with David Tennant and Olivia Colman, so i'm expecting big things.

Like this? Share it using the links below!