Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28655Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd November 2017, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The

Part me does think some of it was a publicity stunt to try to get new viewers and old viewers back to the show, but as you say it all depends on how good the pilot will be.
I don't think it's a stunt it's more BBC box ticking to ensure the quota of female leads rises in tv shows.

It's something the corporation talked about in length about 18 months ago. They have women as pundits on a lot of the football analysis shows like Football Focus and such like. Why? The mens game is vastly different to the womens. It really is just box
ticking.

I'm not being any sort of 'ist' by saying this. It was in a BBC report.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

It just seems so very unnecessary to me, and I'm sorry, but... silly. I could never take Missy seriously as the Master. Some other female Time Lord from the Doc's past, sure, no worries, but the Master... really?
And the same applies. Whittaker looks like she'd make an ideal new incarnation of Romana in a spin-off show... but so far I just can't stop myself giggling at the idea of her being the Doctor. It just seems so forced and... silly.
Old 2nd November 2017, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
It just seems so very unnecessary to me, and I'm sorry, but... silly. I could never take Missy seriously as the Master. Some other female Time Lord from the Doc's past, sure, no worries, but the Master... really?
And the same applies. Whittaker looks like she'd make an ideal new incarnation of Romana in a spin-off show... but so far I just can't stop myself giggling at the idea of her being the Doctor. It just seems so forced and... silly.
There seem to be more and more with this view now. More than when she was first cast.

That could be a major problem between now and the time the first episode is broadcast. Had they announced an introductory special for Easter with the series to begin in the Autumn that may have worked better.
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:51 AM
Cult Master

Paddy Russell has died, aged 89

She was the first female director to work on the show, helming 'The Massacre of St Bartholomew's Eve' in 1966. She later returned to the show, directing three more Doctor Who stories: 'Invasion of the Dinosaurs' in 1974, 'Pyramids of Mars' in 1975 and 'Horror of Fang Rock' in 1977

She began her career with the BBC as a PA in the 1950's, and worked on the Quatermass television shows and the classic adaptation of '1984' in 1954. As well as directing episodes of Doctor Who, she also directed episodes of 'Out of the Unknown', 'Late Night Horror', 'Little Women', 'The Moonstone' and 'The Omega Factor'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd November 2017, 03:55 AM
Cult Master

Richard Hurndall - the second first Doctor!

nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 3rd November 2017, 01:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 293

The Shrivenzales from the opening story of The Key to Time - The Ribos Operation (1978)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg b6c881733d68ac760ffbb05629cd0e2a83ded076_hq (1).jpg (48.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 3rd November 2017, 06:54 PM
Cult Master

'Doctor Who: The Animated Series' from 2010

Thank goodness it never made it past the proposal stage
nosferatu42 likes this.

Old 4th November 2017, 09:38 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 294

The Adipose from 2008's Partners in Crime.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg eb70b5cd9d326248b40012145d73690e39e3b832_hq.jpg (55.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 4th November 2017, 04:53 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
It looks like a complete box set of 7th Doctor stories (including the extended version of 'Silver Nemesis') is being released on DVD in December - in Germany at least!

€150.00

https://doctor-who-special.myshopify...ctor-s-edition

* NOTE - The site is both German and English language. This is the English translation:

"For the 30th anniversary we present all Adventures of the Seventh Doctor in a valuable hardcover book in coffee table format. This Special Collector´s Edition in a slipcase is limited to 1,000 copies, each with an impressed number. Exclusively for the publication script editor Andrew Cartmel has written background texts to all adventures, which can be found on 52 pages in the English original as well as in German translation.

The 17 region code free DVDs contain all adventures in English and German audio as well as English and German subtitles and the over 24 hours of bonus materials of the German season releases in English language and German and English subtitles. Disc number 17 is an exclusive bonus disc for this release and contains the BBC America special “Doctor Who – Seventh Doctor – Revisited”, an exclusive new interview with Andrew Cartmel and worldwide exclusive the restoration of the lost film version of “Silver Nemesis”. Product shipment is scheduled for the second week of December."

Old 4th November 2017, 08:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

It's not their fault, but I find it rather disgraceful that the only way to get the extended version of Silver Nemesis on DVD is to buy an incredibly expensive boxset released by a foreign country...

Like this? Share it using the links below!