Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28499Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2017, 09:44 AM
Cult Master

Most of the press reviews for 'Twice Upon A Time' were positive:

The Guardian found much to admire in the story: "There’s so much that is good about the episode...Good jokes...Anyway, it’s funny."

The Mirror felt the episode delivered: "...An emotional rollercoaster...I'm so glad that the Powers That Be decided to bring Pearl Mackie's Bill back to the show for one more outing. In an episode that can't really escape from a looming theme of death, Bill brings not only a sense of fun but also heart to the episode."

Radio Times felt the story was lacking substance but praised the nostalgia inherent in the story: "I get a little surge of joy that on Christmas Day 2017 the BBC1 audience will glimpse clips from 1966’s The Tenth Planet of William Hartnell and Michael Craze, both long dead, and Anneke Wills. The lamentable recast versions of companions Ben and Polly are kept mercifully brief, but in a coup of televisual magic a monochrome Hartnell transmogrifies into Bradley in HD colour. The first Doctor rematerialises right before our eyes."

The Independent praised the two lead actors: "Peter Capaldi, as ever, turns out an incredible performance as the Twelfth Doctor...David Bradley steals the show as the First Doctor. "

Digital Spy felt the episode delivered where it needed to, also praising David Bradley's portrayal of the First Doctor: "His performance really is spot on – a little spiky, pompous, yet warm and humane...You're left hungry for more – for a story where Bradley's first Doctor is more than a distraction from the main event."

Den of Geek felt the acting plaudits belonged to one of the guest stars: "I can’t overstate just what superb work Mark Gatiss does too, as The Captain...Gatiss’ quiet, diligent, matter-of-fact performance was tinged with a melancholy edge. Appreciating he had to do some of the ‘what are you talking about’ dialogue to the Doctors, I thought he played it superbly. Polite, baffled, and quietly curious."

AV Club felt the episode was a fitting tribute to the Twelfth Doctor: "This is a thoughtful, funny, incredibly moving episode about kindness, bravery, and the way small choices can make a huge impact... it gives Peter Capaldi a beautiful final showcase that demonstrates just how much he’s grown into the role since his rather ominous beginnings back in season eight."

IndieWore thought the regeneration was too drawn out: "The tradition of the Doctor pushing back against his regeneration is a recent one, and it makes for a prolonged and unnecessary goodbye. Regenerations are at their best when we’re tricked into forgetting they’re coming"

iNews praised the writing of Steven Moffat's last story: "The sharply-written interplay between both Doctors was one of the joys of this episode."

Inverse found the episode a fitting final appearance for the twelfth Doctor: "“Kind” is the defining word for the 12th Doctor... That the incarnation who began his existence so prickly and aloof would end it as the champion of kindness speaks to just how much this Doctor grew and developed over this three seasons."

However, The Telegraph wasn't impressed: "Heavy on stagy dialogue and light on action...ultimately, even the hero admitted there wasn’t a villain."

And, of course, The Daily Mail found the episode wretchedly dull: "We had to endure an age of Capaldi wringing his hands and begging humanity to ‘be kind’. David Bradley reprised the First Doctor...His chief role was to make scandalising remarks about the importance of having a woman about the place to do the dusting, and to look horrified when Bill Potts (Pearl Mackie) hinted she was a lesbian."

Doctor Who News - Twice Upon A Time - Press Reaction

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th December 2017, 05:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 346

Commander Linx of Fifth Sontaran Army Space Fleet. - The Time Warrior (1973)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sontaran.jpg (68.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 29th December 2017, 11:14 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 347

The Vashta Nerada from the 2008 two part story Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doctor-Who-Silence-In-The-Library.jpg (22.0 KB, 1 views)
Susan Foreman and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 29th December 2017, 11:15 AM
Cult Master

Interesting

The original (unfilmed) camera script for 'The Tenth Planet', complete with the Doctor refusing his regeneration

Old 29th December 2017, 11:20 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Vashta Nerada from the 2008 two part story Silence in the Library / Forest of the Dead.

The spacesuit skeleton from the 1969 'Scooby Doo' story Spooky Space Kook

Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 29th December 2017, 05:25 PM
Cult Master

Wendy Padbury (top picture) and Anthony Ainley (bottom picture) in 'Blood On Satan's Claw' (1971)

Old 30th December 2017, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 348

The Myrka from the 1984 story Warriors of the Deep.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.4 KB, 38 views)
Old 30th December 2017, 07:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Just had a chat with a couple of mates and the Xmas Dr Who came up, watched it in HD and thought it was great, very well acted by Capaldi & co. however... my mate goes "my 9 year old couldn't make head or tails of of it and kept asking what did that mean?" and maybe he had a point, when I first got into the Doctor I was no more than 6 and admittedly times have moved on in 52 years or so but is it really still a show that a 6 year old can enjoy, cowering behind the sofa waiting for the monsters to show up and be defeated by the Doctor and his young companions, or maybe I just miss my 6 year old self and simpler times...
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 30th December 2017, 11:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
Just had a chat with a couple of mates and the Xmas Dr Who came up, watched it in HD and thought it was great, very well acted by Capaldi & co. however... my mate goes "my 9 year old couldn't make head or tails of of it and kept asking what did that mean?" and maybe he had a point, when I first got into the Doctor I was no more than 6 and admittedly times have moved on in 52 years or so but is it really still a show that a 6 year old can enjoy, cowering behind the sofa waiting for the monsters to show up and be defeated by the Doctor and his young companions, or maybe I just miss my 6 year old self and simpler times...
No it's not and hasn't been for the majority of Capaldi's tenure. The writing for him has been largely poor.
iank likes this.
Old 31st December 2017, 07:32 AM
Cult Master

The Doctors glamorous companions

The First Doctor

Carole Ann Ford (Susan): 1963 - 1964, 1983

Jacqueline Hill (Barbara): 1964 - 1965

Maureen O'Brien (Vicki): 1965

Adrienne Hill (Katarina): 1965

Jean Marsh (Sara Kingdom): 1965

Jackie Lane (Dodo Chaplet): 1966

Anneke Wills (Polly): 1966

(Note - The pics used come from a variety of sources - they are not exclusively from 'Doctor Who')

Like this? Share it using the links below!