Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28651Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th May 2018, 02:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Thoroughly enjoyed your review of Season 7 of DR WHO, Gothmogxx and wholeheartedly agree with your love of the stories. For me, as a season, it has never been bettered.
I love the more adult tone of the show - to me, it has a unique feel to it that has never been repeated.
All the stories are brilliant, none of the 7 parters ever drag and Spearhead From Space just ( and I mean just ) edges Inferno as my favourite Who story of all time. To my mind, both stories are masterpieces.
Looking forward to more of your Pertwee reviews
Old 16th May 2018, 03:39 PM
Cult Master

Doctor Who audio Energy of the Daleks feat. Tom Baker gets limited edition vinyl release | Doctor Who .TV

"From the 25th May, Sainsbury’s will be stocking a strictly limited pressing of ‘Energy Of the Daleks’ on blue 180GM Heavyweight Vinyl. This will be available in participating stores only and limited to 1,500 units. The Daleks return to take on Tom Baker’s Fourth Doctor in this Doctor Who full-cast audio drama from 2012. The story takes place between The Talons of Weng-Chiang and Horror of Fang Rock, both broadcast on BBC One in 1977."

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th May 2018, 03:43 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 482

The Cyber Controller from the 2006 story The Age of Steel.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg s2_05_wal_02.jpg (91.9 KB, 1 views)
Mojo and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Interesting. I seem to have completely reversed my opinion of The Claws of Axos from when I first saw it years ago.

I think I must have disliked the Axons or something the last time. I suppose after both the Autons and the Keller Machine that a heap of walking spaghetti might seem a bit weaker in comparison. They aren’t as good (for my money, the spray painted Krynoid in Seeds of Doom is much better on the basis of threat), but I will say that Axos is a decent opponent for the regulars. At least on account of how stupid the officials are. This Chinn guy is an ignoramus of the highest level and deserves every bit of abuse that Pertwee throws at him. There is a similar moment in Terror of the Autons where he does the same thing to another “official” and calls him tubby but that was unjustified. Not here, this guy practically hands victory to the Axos on a plate, by blindly accepting their axonite. Even the Doctor seems suspicious, were he not here they would have been dead. Still anything for a promotion....

I LOVE the inside of Axos. Easily one of the best things we’ve seen on the show so far. It looks alive, far better than Omega’s palace in Three Doctors (the gel guards and the palace are basically a weaker copy).

But I think the best parts of this story are the scenes with the Master. It’s funny because he doesn’t even have to be here. He just feels written in for the sake of it. Yet here he is, stealing the show again. I enjoy seeing him forced to help UNIT for a change, albeit to save his own skin. The scenes between him and Pertwee in the final episode are quite electric, I can imagine viewers watching it in 1971 and wondering if the Doctor really betrayed his friends and gone to the dark side.

Overall as a story it’s just another day at the office, just the next alien invader of the month. But its still good and it’s an example of how beneficial the UNIT template is to ensure success. If you’d put this out in the Hartnell era, had Ben and Polly as companions and got rid of UNIT and just used regular military (the Monk could fill in for the Master) it wouldn’t have been as good. But UNIT is such a good concept and the characters it brings with it help create the perfect storm to strengthen even a kind of average story like this into a much stronger end product. On the subject of other Doctors, If I were to compare it to Troughton’s final season, its easily better than The Dominators, The Krotons, The Seeds of Doom and The Space Pirates. It’s not better than The Mind Robber (that was such a unique, original story though), The Invasion (that is also a UNIT story, which just happens to be one of the best) and The War Games (masterpiece) but as all three stories are strokes of brilliance, that’s no surprise. It still saw off the others, a majority of Season 6. But again if it didn’t come out in this format, with the Master, UNIT, Jo Grant etc i’m not sure it would have done so easily.

I’m glad to have proved myself wrong, happy to say I misjudged this one back in the day. It’s not perfect and would be at the bottom of the Pertwee’s so far but that’s not saying much. If this is a “weaker” Pertwee then it’s a testament to just good his era is. I was looking forward to the 70’s for a reason and it’s because of stories like this.
Old 16th May 2018, 11:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Colony in Space is a disaster.

At least, according to fan consensus. But I try my best to ignore fan consensus.

Can anything stop the Pertwee train? Because I don't get the hate for this.

It does have its dodgy moments yes. That robot in the first cliff hanger, that robot again with claws in what is basically the exact same cliff hanger, characters shooting at each other at close range and doing no damage what-so-ever several times over. You could argue that maybe it could have been trimmed down by an episode as well...

On saying that at least stuff happens here. I like The Dominators but as I said at the time: The Dulcians as a species deserved to be wiped out for being such weak, pathetic characters. But this is more engaging despite being 6 episodes. Here we have two opposing sides, colonists and corrupt IMC employees, who are fighting desperately to get what they want.

All is not well in the colonist camp and I like to see them disagree on tactics, working uneasily together to defeat a much more powerful enemy. Yes the gun fights can go on a bit to long (they can't hit anything, they ALL have worse aim than UNIT grunts!) but I enjoyed watching their struggle. I especially liked seeing the IMC guys getting drunk after a false victory, funny stuff.

Jo Grants reaction to arriving on an alien planet is handled amazingly. Very realistic the way she reacts in fear: I'm surprised none of the other companions act that way the first time.

Again the Master doesn't need to be here. But as its Roger Delgardo on form once again he's more than welcome. That and by episode 4 you kind of need him to give you a break between the conflict for control of the planet. I'm convinced that deep down, the Master still thinks of the Doctor as a best friend. Indeed the confrontation between the Doctor and the Master in the final episode goes a long way to demonstrating their differing philosophies. The Master in Claws of Axos seemed especially happy when the Doctor apparently joined him. Here he's at it once again: gone to all this trouble to get the doomsday weapon and yet, despite all that, he offers the Doctor half a share in controlling the universe. The Doctor actually seems to be considering the Master's offer for a moment before sanity takes hold. Pertwee also makes the most of the 'infinite compassion' line which he delivers to the ruler of the city. (The Doctor also feel fondly of the Master as we see in Sea Devils talking about their days at school. Both of them hate their opposing views but as former friends want the other to see their own point of view and make up, a conflict which lasted until 2017 so far. Its a difficult scenario for either to square, although by The Doctor Falls, the Doctor has won when Missy admits he was right all along and tries to join him in battle. Its just a shame, courtesy of the Simm Master, that the Doctor never got to know...)

I also think that the Master one-ups the Doctor on TARDIS coolness. The Doctor should really consider some better security like the Master has.

The leader of the aliens stands out as well. Its quite freaky because it looks like a baby. Its a pretty cool civilisation as well, with the primitives, priests and the leader. It helps create diversity and makes it a believable culture.

Doesn't deserve the hate, good story. Two episodes into The Daemons so far and its great.
Old 17th May 2018, 02:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

When i saw Colony in Space on vhs it mut have not registered at all because watching it anew on dvd felt like i'd never seen it before.

I do think it's slightly too long but also think it's a really enjoyable story. The Master is great as always but the planets inhabitants are also well thought out creations too.

A better story than most would have you believe.

I watched three episodes of The Time Monster again yesterday, basically to check out the TARDIS with a black base as in the new B&M action figure set. Three episodes in and the bloomin' thing is as blue based as the day it was born.

As for the story itself? Well, yes, it's not particularly good, more a romp than a serious story. Still it's certainly watchable but nowhere near the cream of the Doctor Who crop.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 17th May 2018, 02:30 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 483

A Roboman (right) from the 1964 series The Dalek Invasion of Earth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DW15.jpg (74.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 17th May 2018, 04:41 AM
Cult Master

May 17th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1926 - Tenniel Evans (Major Daly in Carnival of Monsters)

1943 - David Simeon (Private Latimer in Inferno and Alastair Fergus in The Dæmons)
1950 - Catherine Howe (Ara in The Underwater Menace)
1961 - Corey Johnson (Henry Van Statten in Dalek)
1986 - Erin Richards (Freda in BBC Radio 4's Torchwood story Asylum)

Obituaries
1985 - Hugh Burden (Channing in Spearhead from Space) aged 72

Episodes
1969 - The War Games, Episode Five: 5.1 million viewers
2008 - The Unicorn and the Wasp: 7.7 million viewers

Documentaries
2008 - Doctor Who Confidential: Nemesis

Releases
2006 - Issue 4 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)

2012 - Issue 269 of Doctor Who Magazine (Immediate Media Co.)
2017 - The Haunting of Malkin Place (Big Finish Productions); issue 5 of Tenth Doctor Year Three and issue 3 of Twelfth Doctor Year Three (Titan Comics)

Behind-the-Scenes
2000 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Sword of Orion took place

2007 - Recording of the Big Finish audios The Wishing Beast and The Vanity Box took place
2012 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Shadow Heart took place
2016 - Recording of the Big Finish audios The World Beyond the Trees and Torchwood: Outbreak took place

Old 17th May 2018, 11:47 AM
Cult Master

Some people have no sense of humour!

This was posted on FB with the caption 'The Five Doctors'

When I mentioned it looked more like the two Doctors and three companions, they helpfully explained that 'The Five Doctors' was the title of the story, and gave me a detailed synopsis of it!

Old 17th May 2018, 07:27 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
New Doctor Who figure sets coming this summer from B&M Bargains.

12th Doctor Set

1/ Missy as seen in the Series 10 Episode ‘Extremis’ … Exclusive

2/ The 12th Doctor as seen in the Series 9 Episode ‘Face the Raven’ … Exclusive

3/ Bill as seen in the Series 10 Episode ’The Pilot’ … Exclusive
Quote:

11th Doctor Set

1/ Clara as Oswald Oswin from ‘Asylum of the Daleks’ … Exclusive

2/ The 11th Doctor as seen in ’The Snowman’ … Exclusive

3/ Amelia Pond as seen in ’Lets kill Hitler’ … Exclusive
Quote:
1970’s Doctor Set

1/ The Brigadier as seen in the 3rd Doctors 1st Season … Exclusive

2/ The 4th Doctor as seen in ’Talons of Weng Chiang’ … Exclusive

3/ Auton Mark II as seen in ’The Terror of the Autons’ … Exclusive
Quote:

3rd Doctor & TARDIS Set

1/ 3rd doctor and TARDIS with black base as seen in ’The Time Monster’ … Exclusive
You forgot this one

nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!