Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28653Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2018, 04:33 AM
Cult Master

June 16th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1929 - Damaris Hayman (Olive Hawthorne in The Daemons and Reeltime Pictures' Doctor Who spin-off White Witch of Devil's End)

1932 - Stephen Hubay (Petrov in The War Games)
1935 - James Bolam (Sir Archibald Flint in the Big Finish audio The Spectre of Lanyon Moor)
1937 - Michael Kilgarriff (Cybercontroller in The Tomb of the Cybermen and Attack of the Cybermen, an Ogron in Frontier in Space and the K1 Robot in Robot and Big Finish Productions' Bernice Summerfield story The Relics of Jegg-Sau)

1939 - Kenneth McMillan (film cameraman on Planet of Evil)
1940 - Carole Ann Ford (Susan Foreman [First Doctor companion]; Zorelle in Dreamwatch Media's Doctor Who spin-off Shakedown: Return of the Sontarans and Unit 190 in Big Finish's Gallifrey story Forever)

1944 - Brian Protheroe (Big Finish actor - Bob Gell & Captain O'Brien in Eldred Must Die! and Captain Hardwick in Static)
1946 - Simon Williams (Group Captain Gilmore in Remembrance of the Daleks and Big Finish audio adventures; Big Finish actor - Paul Addison & Shara in Nekromanteia, Guardian in The Guardians of Prophecy and Lord Ruthven in the Jago & Litefoot story The Ruthven Inheritance)
1975 - Fred Koehler (Ralph Coltrane in the Torchwood story Miracle Day)

Deaths
1994 - Eileen Way (Old Mother in An Unearthly Child, Madame Karela in The Creature from the Pit and the Old Woman in the movie Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150AD) aged 82

2009 - Michael Summerton (Dalek in The Daleks) aged 65

Episodes
1973 - The Green Death, Episode Five: 8.3 million viewers
2007 - Utopia: 7.84 million viewers

Documentaries
2007 - Doctor Who Confidential: 'Ello, 'Ello, 'Ello

Introductions
2007 - Derek Jacobi's sole on-screen appearance as the Master (barring the android version in the webcast Scream of the Shalka); John Simm's debut as the Master

Releases
1994 - All-Comsuming Fire (Virgin Books)

2008 - K9 Tales (DVD box set - region 2)
2011 - Issue 222 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)

Behind-the-Scenes
2008 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Prisoner's Dilemma took place
2009 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Castle of Fear took place
2016 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Zaltys took place
2017 - Recording of Big Finish's UNIT story Encounters took place

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th June 2018, 09:56 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 513

Anthony Ainley as The Master in The Five Doctors (1983)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4428ef14f33e1f0bf1f805c49dcb1a2194ef52abv2_hq.jpg (38.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 17th June 2018, 04:25 AM
Cult Master

June 17th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1918 - Duncan Lamont (Dan Galloway in Death to the Daleks)
1919 - Beryl Reid (Captain Briggs in Earthshock)

1947 - Anthony Rowlands (Crewman The Invisible Enemy)
1972 - Antonio D. Charity (Airport Security Cop in the Torchwood story Miracle Day)
1982 - Arthur Darvill (Rory Williams [Eleventh Doctor companion]; Big Finish Productions actor - Jared Jones in the Bernice Summerfield story Road Trip and Frank Layton in the Torchwood story Believe); Jodie Whittaker (Thirteenth Doctor)

Deaths
2012 - Brian Hibbard (Keillor in Delta and the Bannermen) aged 65
2013 - Michael Goldie (Jack Craddock in The Dalek Invasion of Earth and Elton Laleham in The Wheel in Space) aged 81

2014 - Jeffry Wickham (Webster in The Reign of Terror) aged 80

Episodes
1967 - The Evil of the Daleks, Episode Five: 5.1 million viewers
1972 - The Time Monster, Episode Five: 6.0 million viewers
2006 - Love & Monsters: 6.66 million viewers
2017 - The Eaters of Light: 4.73 million viewers

Documentaries
2006 - Doctor Who Confidential: The New World of Who

Releases
1965 - The Dalek Painting Book (Souvenir Press and Panther Books)

1993 - White Darkness (Virgin Books)
2010 - Issue 171 of Doctor Who Adventures BBC Magazines); issue 22 of Torchwood Magazine (Titan Comics)

2014 - Second Chances (Big Finish)
2015 - The Secret History (Big Finish)
2016 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 173 (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1969 - Jon Pertwee was confirmed as the Third Doctor
2013 - Doctor Who Experience was shortlisted for the Regional Tourism Award in the Welsh National Tourism Awards; recording of the Big Finish audio Death's Deal took place

2016 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Zaltys took place
Demoncrat, trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 17th June 2018, 10:04 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 514

David Gooderson as Davros in Destiny of the Daleks (1979)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg davros-destiny-of-the-daleks-19793.jpg (54.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 17th June 2018, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Ok. Genesis of the Daleks comes very close to de-seating Inferno as the greatest Story so far. Only the last half of Episode 6 lets the side down. As things stand though its certainly up there with Silurians, Mind of Evil, Mind Robber, War Games etc as a great runners up.

It is a near masterpiece in its own right though. I'd still give this a 10. The good vastly, vastly outweighs any minor flaws, even the ending, which is the only thing which stops it matching Inferno.

I'll get this out of the way so I can praise it. So, at the start of episode 6, the Doctor is going to kill Dalek babies, which in itself is disturbing. But not only that, he's gonna wipe them all out. But does he have the right? He decides that he does not, and you can see the relief in his face when he thinks he's got out of making the decision when the rebels gain the upper hand. But then of course Davros wipes them out and... He decides to commit genocide after all! WHAT? So we have a brilliant sequence with the whole do I have the right speech. He equates what he's doing to killing a child before it grows up to be a dictator. He agonises over the idea of killing a child though... But when he decides to go ahead with it anyway, he's absolutely fine! I get it: He has NO choice... But where's the emotion? The anger? Remember 10's regeneration? He thinks he's got away with it, he's all happy and then Wilfred ruins everything by knocking and he explodes with emotion and rage. Why doesn't this Doctor do the same? He's just been saved from making a difficult decision, or he thinks he is, but then he gets cheated and has to do it anyway. So why isn't he having a rant about it? Why doesn't it look like it bothers him? Does he commit the act himself? No, a Dalek finishes the job, but the intent was still there. Basically, what the Doctor’s saying here is that it’s okay to go back in time and kill a small child without any hint of remorse whatsoever. I just think its a cop-out.

Now... Lets talk about why I love Genesis.

. The beginning. It is perfection. The opening scene is chilling, the fog covered battlefield, full of soldiers getting gunned down in a scared landscape of war and misery... Wonderful..

. Harry saving the Doctor from the landmine. Harry shouldn't even, by all accounts, be there. He was only there in case an older actor played the Doctor. Yet somehow... He works and fits in perfectly. Just paired with the Doctor and Sarah its all good. He risks his life to save the Doctor here. He's sound.

. Davros. By this point not a main, re-used villain. The Hinchcliffe era thankfully has lots of them: Sutekh, Morbius, Chase, Scorby, Magnus Grell… In their own ways they all work. But on the subject of Davros and the actors playing him: No one, and I do mean no one, has come anywhere near Michael Wisher as Davros. He is sensational and his evil double act with Nyder is a joy to watch.

. Our TARDIS crew are at the top of their game here but each and every single person in the guest cast is too. Gharman, Ronson, Raven, the Thals…

. The cliff hangers. Episode 1: Davros and the Dalek. Episode 2: Sarah apparently falling to her death. Episode 3: the Doctor getting trapped (and failing to save the Kaleds as we find out). Episode 4: "You will tell me. You will tell me! YOU WILL TELL ME!!!" Need I say more? Episode 5: The Dalek babies trying to choke the Doctor to death. Episode 6: I love that shot of the three of them in space with the music as the Doctor says "I know that although the Daleks will create havoc and destruction for millions of years. I know also, that out of their evil, must come something good."

. The Daleks. Barely in it, like the Cybermen in The Invasion, but they work better here than ever before. People don't just get exterminated here, they go down screaming as the daleks blast all opposition to pieces. Whether its Ronson, the majority of the Thals or the Kaled rebels, you just get a sense that the daleks are a threat again with guns that actually work. And that shot, right in the middle of Episode 4, where the Dalek is positioned in front of the dark sky as the rebels hide... Perfection. The direction is pretty good, almost as good as Douglas Camfield.

. Davro's downfall. I love how ironic it is when the Daleks turn on him. "These men are scientists, they can help you! Let them live! Have pity." Pity that isn't registered in the Dalek vocabulary bank. I often wonder, much as like other Dalek stories with Davros in them, what they might have been like had he genuinely died here though. He's never as good as this again...

There’s so much that’s good: wonderful direction, a great script, the performances, the lighting, the production sets... Its near perfection.
Old 17th June 2018, 08:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I wanted to watch a DW story I hadn't seen ... but borrowed Black Orchid by mistake . In common with Timeflight, there isn't a director so the comments are slightly more barbed than usual. An oddity. Compared with say, The Sontaran Experiment it shrivels like a dying Sontaran tbh ... for all that watching Adric stuff his gob did make me think about the companions dietary requirements.
Not a flower I will be cultivating any time soon I fear .....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 18th June 2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 17th June 2018, 08:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I wanted to watch a DW story I hadn't seen ... but borrowed Black Orchid by mistake . In common with Timeflight, there isn't a director so the comments are slightly more barbed than usual. An oddity. Compared with say, The Sontaran Experiment it shrivels like a dying Sontaran tbh ... for all that watching Adric stuff his gob did make me think about the companion's dietary requirements.
Not a flower I will be cultivating any time soon I fear .....
Quite like black orchid, but yep Adric spends the whole show stuffing his gob!
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th June 2018, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It may grow on me ... but twas a bit too Agatha on first viewing .... onwards!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th June 2018, 04:36 AM
Cult Master

June 18th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1901 - Llewellyn Rees (President in The Deadly Assassin)
1938 - Michael Sheard (Rhos in The Ark, Doctor Summers in The Mind of Evil, Laurence Scarman in Pyramids of Mars, Lowe in The Invisible Enemy, Mergrave in Castrovalva, the Headmaster in Remembrance of the Daleks and Count Orsino in the Big Finish audio The Stones of Venice)

1946 - Luan Peters (Chicki in The Macra Terror [credited as Karol Keys] and Sheila in Frontier in Space)
1948 - Phillip Jackson (Big Finish actor - Laxton in Valhalla and Mr. Peabody in The Contingency Club)
1953 - Cordelia Ditton (Older Woman in The Mark of the Rani)
1955 - Dominic Guard (Olvir in Terminus)

Deaths
1973 - Roger Delgado (The Master [1971-1973]) aged 55

1991 - Ronald Allen (Rago in The Dominators and Professor Ralph Cornish in The Ambassadors of Death) aged 60
1992 - Harriet Reynolds (Tannoy voice in The Leisure Hive) aged 47
1999 - Aimée Delamain (Doňa Arana in The Two Doctors) aged 93
2000 - Derek Sydney (Sevcheria in The Romans) aged 80
2004 - Frederick Jaegar (Jano in The Savages, Sorenson in Planet of Evil and Professor Marius in The Invisible Enemy) aged 76

Episodes
1966 - The Savages, Episode Four: 4.5 million viewers
2005 - The Parting of the Ways: 6.91 million viewers

Documentaries
2005 - The Ultimate Guide; Doctor Who Confidential: The Last Battle

Introductions
2005 - David Tennant's first appearance as the Tenth Doctor

Departures
1966 - Final regular appearance of Peter Purves as Steven Taylor

2005 - Conclusion to the first series of the 'revived era' of Doctor Who; Christopher Eccleston's final appearance as the Ninth Doctor

Releases
1992 - Cat's Cradle: Witch Mark (Virgin Books)

2001 - The Caves of Androzani (DVD - region 2)
2009 - Issue 120 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)

2012 - Death to the Daleks (DVD - region 2)
2014 - Masquerade, Destroy the Infinite and Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 61 (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
2012 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Dark Eyes took place
2013 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Brood of Erys took place

Old 18th June 2018, 05:31 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Date for your diary!

"The first trailer for the 11th series of Doctor Who will premiere June 18 after England's first world cup match!!"
Don't forget folks.

New trailer tonight.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!