Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2018, 11:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Season 12 rankings-

1. Genesis of the Daleks
2. Revenge of the Cybermen
3. Robot
4. The Ark in Space
5. The Sontaran Experiment
My ranking for season 12.

1. Genesis of the Daleks
2. The Ark in Space
3. Robot
4. Revenge of the Cybermen
5. The Sontaran Experiment

It's not my favourite season. Genesis and Ark are both excellent but then there's a real step down to Robot, Revenge and Experiment.

Season 14, now that's totally wonderful...

...Well perhaps not The Face of Evil...but the rest.
Old 24th June 2018, 12:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Sontaran
Ark
Robot
Genesis
Revenge

The season as a whole is overhyped. It's fine, but I doubt it would even make my top 15 of classic or top 4 of Tom.
Old 24th June 2018, 06:50 AM
Cult Master

June 24th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1910 - Rollo Gamble (Winstanley in The Dæmons)
1916 - Neil Wilson (Sam Seeley in Spearhead from Space)

1931 - Kenneth Gilbert (Richard Dunbar in The Seeds of Doom)
1944 - Julian Holloway (Sergeant Paterson in Survival)
1947 - Brendan Price (Tomas in The Face of Evil)
1951 - Simon Rouse (Hindle in Kinda; Big Finish Productions actor - John Kincaid in The Witch from the Well and Drang in The Paradox Planet/Legacy of Death); David Rodigan (Broken Tooth in The Trial of a Time Lord)
1955 - Robert Goodman (Reg in Listen and an extra in Nightmare of Eden, Full Circle, Arc of Infinity, Enlightenment, Frontios, Resurrection of the Daleks and The Trial of a Time Lord)
1991 - Yasmin Paige (Maria Jackson in the first two series of the Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures)

Deaths
1985 - Valentine Dyall (Black Guardian; Captain Slarn in the BBC Radio 4 story Slipback) aged 77

1998 - Ken Barker (Mutant in Revelation of the Daleks and a stuntman on Castrovalva, Attack of the Cybermen and Battlefield) aged 70

Episodes
1967 - The Evil of the Daleks, Episode Six: 6.8 million viewers
1972 - The Time Monster, Episode Six: 7.6 million viewers
2006 - Fear Her: 7.14 million viewers
2017 - World Enough and Time: 5.0 million viewers

Documentaries
2006 - Doctor Who Confidential: The Fright Stuff

Introductions
1967 - First TV appearance of the Emperor Dalek

2017 - Doctor Who's first TV multi-Master story

Departures
1972 - Conclusion to the ninth series of the 'classic era' of Doctor Who

Releases
2004 - Issue 345 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)

2010 - Issue 423 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)
2013 - Regeneration (DVD box set - region 2)

2014 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 42 (Big Finish)
2016 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 174 (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
2001 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Project: Twilight took place
2008 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Brotherhood of the Daleks took place
2012 - Recording of Big Finish's Bernice Summerfield story New Frontiers took place

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th June 2018, 10:21 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 521

The Cryons from Attack of the Cybermen (1985)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg attack3.jpg (74.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 24th June 2018, 03:34 PM
Cult Master

Apparently there are 'issues' with the Region 1 release of 'The Complete 12th Series' Blu-Ray set including the audio for the first episode of 'The Sontaran Experiment' being messed up ("It sounds like one of the audio channels is inverted resulting in a very tinny sound and is unwatchably distracting") and both subtitles and info test containing spelling errors

Old 24th June 2018, 10:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm way behind here: i'm actually about to start Hand of Fear! So to catch up-

This really is the last of the Barry Letts era. He's gone but Terror of the Zygons is the last Story which feels like it has any true connection to that era and in particular, UNIT (mere mentions and cameos in Pyramids of Mars, Android Invasion and Seeds of Doom don't really count). But at least its a good send-off.

I watched it as it was originally broadcast so opted to skip the new scene in Episode 1. But for the record, any other time I watch it, I would watch it with that scene. Its nice to have "new" Tom, Lis and Ian to watch.

Oh I love this one. What is there not to like?

The direction: Camfield is back and on fire. Zygon Harry and Sarah in the barn, Broton as he watches events through the camera, the close-ups...

Sarah and Angus at the Inn. Its an innocent scene at the start but turns pure sinister as Angus explains the disappearances due to the monster, with excellent music playing.

Tom has really settled into the role. By the end of the first production block (this may be Season 13's opening, but it was filmed and intended to end Season 12) he had nailed his style.

The Music - Heavy, laden with atmosphere, dripping with suspense and then it can become almost ghostly, celestial and beautiful.
The Zygons themselves - yup, they are wonderful. Such a wonderful design. They may share characteristics with other monsters we've seen so far but they are used so well it doesn't matter. Broton is a good boss as well.
Tracking the Zygon in the woods - we don’t see much, but it’s superbly well directed and as a Benton fan, its nice to get to see him involved in taking charge for a change.
‘’Harry’’ being chased out of the village and attacking Sarah in the barn - again, a masterpiece of directing, acting and scoring. You really have to see it yourself to understand just how chilling this scene is. We have had nothing of this standard in Doctor Who so far.

The Monster chasing the Doctor across the moor - yes, I know the Skarasen gets mocked but as its a cyborg, can't you just excuse its strange movements due to what it is? its not a full on dinosaur, its part machine. I love the way its built up and used as a threat.

UNIT - the organisation is on fire again. As much as I like 1971-1974 UNIT it does come across as a cosy family unit of sorts where they will always save the day. But the organisation feels more real here, like in the early Pertwee days. Can't complain, it comes off very well onscreen. I just wish they had more Stories beyond this point in the near future, if only once every one or two Seasons...

A mixture of all the right things is the best way to describe this Story. The direction, the actors, the music, the atmosphere, the monsters, UNIT...

We've seen the end of UNIT as a respected component of the show. This was the last hurrah of the classic 60's/70's UNIT and Battlefield is sadly 14 years off. The Brig is gone for 8 years and Benton and Harry leave as respected characters and should have stayed gone along with UNIT (more on that when I cover the appearances in The Android Invasion and, to a certain extent, Seeds of Doom). It was fun while it lasted though and it did save Doctor Who when Pertwee took over. A perfect component for the show, I will miss it.
Old 24th June 2018, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Apparently there are 'issues' with the Region 1 release of 'The Complete 12th Series' Blu-Ray set including the audio for the first episode of 'The Sontaran Experiment' being messed up ("It sounds like one of the audio channels is inverted resulting in a very tinny sound and is unwatchably distracting") and both subtitles and info test containing spelling errors
Could explain why the region 2 had a delay 2me July. As expect they are both same versions.
Old 25th June 2018, 06:07 AM
Cult Master

June 25th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1928 - Moray Watson (Sir Robert Muir in Black Orchid)

1930 - George Murdock (Preacher in the Torchwood story Miracle Day)
1933 - Rhoda Lewis (Marta in State of Decay)
1941 - Roy Marsden (Mr. Stoker in Smith and Jones and Todd Hulbert in the Big Finish audio Human Resources)
1943 - Roger Murray-Leach (designer on The Ark in Space, The Sontaran Experiment, Revenge of the Cybermen, Planet of Evil, The Seeds of Doom, The Deadly Assassin and The Talons of Weng-Chiang)

1948 - Gareth Armstrong (Giuliano in The Masque of Mandragora; Big Finish Productions actor - Johan Drossel in The Silver Turk, Jephson in The Renaissance Man, Arthley & Salonu Prime in The Evil One, Geoffrey Chauer in The Doctor's Tale and Barry Jackson in the Torchwood story One Rule)
1950 - Nitzi Saul (Karina in Warriors of the Deep)
1955 - Mike McShane (Julius Grayle in The Angels Take Manhattan)
1970 - Lucy Baker (Young Nyssa in Mawdryn Undead; later known as Lucy Benjamin)

1973 - Sunetra Sarker (Indira in Dino on a Spaceship)
1975 - Blaine Coughlan (UNIT Soldier in BBV's Auton trilogy)
1981 - Sheridan Smith (Lucie Miller [Eighth Doctor companion in Big Finish audio adventures])

Deaths
2008 - Faith Kent (Maven in the Big Finish audio Omega) aged 82

Episodes
1966 - The War Machines, Episode One: 5.4 million viewers

Introductions
1966 - First appearance of Michael Craze and Anneke Wills as Ben Jackson and Polly Wright

Releases
2009 - Into the Silence, The House That Jack Built and Risk Assessment (BBC Books - Torchwood novels); issue 410 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK); issue 121 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)

2013 - Graceless III (Big Finish)
2015 - Issue 488 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)

Behind-the-Scenes
1969 - Full scripts for The Carriers of Death (later renamed The Ambassadors of Death) were requested
2009 - Recording of the Big Finish audio A Thousand Tiny Wings took place
2012 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Flames of Cadiz took place
2013 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Scavenger took place

Old 25th June 2018, 10:35 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 522

The T-Rex from Invasion of the Dinosaurs (1974)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg who-dino03.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 25th June 2018, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

well season 12 blu ray must definitely be out next Monday as my copy has been sent too the warehouse at zoom.

Like this? Share it using the links below!