Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28631Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2018, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I spent 10 years collecting my DVD collection of Who's, so I will be giving the Blu Ray a miss.
Yes, me too.
Old 26th June 2018, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, me too.
If this set and how long it took to get everything out on DVD in expecting it to take 10-15 years to release them all on blu, even if they don't do the first two doctors!
Old 26th June 2018, 07:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Pyramids of Mars! I longed to see this for 4 or 5 years, having seen Episode 1 on the TV in 2008 or 2009. Well it didn't disappoint. Is it my very favourite story? Nope, but this is a good one.

Scary opening with Professor Scarman getting attacked by the green light, followed by an interesting scene where the Doctor seems to be having a midlife crisis. Its the perfect means of setting the tone for this Story.

It borrows a technique that Inferno used, which by this point is my best Story, so that's a good idea. It shows what happens when the bad guys, in this case Sutekh, win. Earth is destroyed, covered in storms. Its nowhere near as effective as Inferno, but it ups the stakes. Even Tom is less over the top this time: he realises what a genuine threat Sutekh is to the Universe and sets out to stop him.

Sutekhs minions, the mummy robots, are an interesting concept. They must have terrified kids when this went out. I also love the revelation that they are robots with the unbandaged one in the cottage.

Sutekh dominating the Doctor in Episode 4 at the start is a prime example of how dangerous this guy is. The Doctor usually retains at least some control of the situation, whether its mocking Broton in Zygons or Scorby in Seeds. Here, he gets wrecked by this god and he's powerless to stop it.

I also note how the entire guest cast that the TARDIS crew meet die by the end. Its grim and everybody gets viciously killed. Ibrahim strangled, Warlock brutally maimed by a mummy, the hunter crushed between 2 mummies and the other Scarman killed by his reanimated brother.

Is Episode 4 a let-down? Maybe in some ways: Sutekh looks a lot better with his mask on, sitting in the chair (with, as eagle eyed viewers will see, a nice production assistants hand keeping it warmed up as he sits on it good lord how did they miss that and not do a re-take?!?) But at least it admits its just copying the Exilon City when Sarah brings it up (although she wasn't there, presumably the Doctor told her about it I guess). Its pretty solid stuff though. But gothic horror had yet to meet its peak in this Season...
Old 26th June 2018, 07:40 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
I spent 10 years collecting my DVD collection of Who's, so I will be giving the Blu Ray a miss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, me too.
The first DVD I got was 'The Dalek Invasion Of Earth', when it was released in June 2003. It cost me £9.99!

I then started to get them religiously during the first week of release, and continued until 'The Power Of The Daleks' some 13 years later, in November 2016. I also got the titles that I missed which were released prior to 'TDIOE': 'The Five Doctors', 'The Robots of Death', 'Spearhead from Space', 'Remembrance of the Daleks', 'The Caves of Androzani', 'The Movie', 'Vengeance on Varos', 'The Tomb of the Cybermen', 'The Ark in Space', 'Carnival of Monsters', 'The Aztecs', 'Resurrection of the Daleks', 'The Seeds of Death' and 'The Talons of Weng-Chiang'

Quote:
On a happier note it now feels like Hinchcliffe and Holmes have taken over completely, which is a good thing. Planet of Evil Episode 1 may just be the single best episode of the season. The tone, even by Season 12 standards and Terror of the Zygons, just feels so scary
I have the Target novel of this story, and I could never look at the front cover because it really terrified me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Target - planet of evil.jpg (47.2 KB, 1 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th June 2018, 07:41 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I actually liked The Android Invasion. That was a surprise, even if its disrespect of the UNIT organisation still annoyed me.

They never really had a "big finale" so to speak. There was no sacrifices from the Brig or Benton, or some explosive event. They just kind of fade away. From a great appearance in Zygons, to a weak appearance here, to a small cameo in Seeds of Doom and finally just the Brig and Harry getting name-dropped by Sarah as she departs at the end of Hand of Fear.I don't think that was a good idea. Benton and Harry shouldn't be in this story if that was the case. Had the last UNIT story, at least until Battlefield, been Hand of Fear, which having just finished watching for the first time, seems plausible if you rewrite it here and there, then it would have been okay. As it is, leaving Benton on the floor, knocked out, is a huge disservice to his character. Harry is likewise used poorly: why is he even here?!? But as I said, none of this would have been a problem if they got a decent send off in a later story. Its just a big gripe of mine.

Aside from that I think this Season has some great Episode 1's! This Episode 1 is a straight 10 out of 10 once again. Filled with atmosphere with the idea of "what the hell is going on?" being ever present as they enter the deserted village. Nicely done. But again, it weakens as it progresses, to the shambles in Episode 4 (who even are you Colonel Faraday you Brig impersonator?!? Benton should have been the one standing in!).

Episode 2 has some good moments: Tom in the pub and a simply classic cliff hanger with the fake Sarah unmasking. More points for that. But points off for the Kralls who, lets be honest, suck. They aren't Zygons, or invisible Predators, or Mummies, or mad Scientists or a Kryoid, they're just there and stand out like a sore thumb. The Androids themselves should have been the main villain.

Its the weakest of the Season but despite glaring flaws I still liked it.
Old 26th June 2018, 09:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The first DVD I got was 'The Dalek Invasion Of Earth', when it was released in June 2003. It cost me £9.99!
I bought each vhs on it's day of release (not the very early individual ones i grant you but the ones which formed the bulk of the collection) then went straight from them to buying the dvds.

I was still buying Doctor Who vhs years after dvd had taken over the rest of my film collection, as it took them so long to release the whole lot...
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Who's new composer has been announced:

Segun Akinola. BBC Latest News - Doctor Who - New series of Doctor Who to be scored by composer Segun Akinola
Old 26th June 2018, 11:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Have you any links to any of his work?
Old 26th June 2018, 11:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

https://soundcloud.com/segunakinola
Old 27th June 2018, 04:29 AM
Cult Master

June 27th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1938 - Martin Cort (Voord, Warrior & Aydan in The Keys of Marinus and Locke in The Seeds of Death)

1961 - Meera Syal (Nasreen Chaudhry in The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood; narrator of the Borrowed Time audiobook and the BBC Audio story The Gemini Contagion)
1973 - Ian Boldsworth (Banto in Blink)

Deaths
2000 - David Neal (President in The Caves of Androzani) aged 68

2005 - Carol Scott (assistant floor manager on The Stones of Blood and City of Death)

Episodes
1964 - The Sensorites, Episode Two ('The Unwilling Warriors'): 6.9 million viewers

Releases
2002 - Issue 319 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)

2013 - Counter-Measures: Series Two (Big Finish Productions); issue 462 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)

Behind-the-Scenes
1995 - Matthew Jacobs submitted a draft storyline on the TV Movie
1999 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Phantasmagoria took place

2005 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Thicker Than Water took place
2007 - Recording of the Big Finish audios Absolution and The Girl Who Never Was took place
2008 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Raincloud Man took place
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!