Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2018, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I notice we had no comment from Susan on what she thought of the first episode.

Would also like to know what Susan thought.
Old 10th October 2018, 06:52 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 625

The Doctor (left) and Romana captured by the green skinned Swampies in the 1979 story The Power of Kroll.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ThePoweroftheKroll1 (Large).jpg (40.9 KB, 42 views)
Old 10th October 2018, 09:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I know I'm not Susan (at least I'm pretty sure that I'm not...) but I watched the first episode last night with some trepidation and actually ended up quite enjoying it. As others have mentioned the cinematography and effects work seem to improved a lot and the incidental music was really good, pulling you into the story.

My main issues with Nu-Who have always been around the acting, the 'comic' relief, and the fact that the condensed down nature of the stories make them feel rushed and dumbed down at times in order to appeal to younger/low attention span audiences. Whilst some of the acting was still a bit wobbly, overall I thought it was an improvement over the Capaldi era in that respect (at least so far). Comic relief seemed to be dialed back a little too and the episode seemed a lot darker and less dumbed down than usual, which was good.

I liked Jodie overall, but I think I'm going to have to see more to discern whether I see her as 'The Doctor'. The first episode for a new doctor is always a bit wobbly what with the whole new body / regeneration fatigue thing going on. Not necessarily a complaint, but she actually seemed like a bit-part at times what with all the other supporting characters and their various arcs.

The 'coming soon' reel at the end didn't exactly wow me. No focus on stories/monsters just a load of random faces, most of which I'd never even heard of. It smacked a bit of desperation too, as if the writers didn't even have faith in their own decision to cast a woman doctor as if to say "please watch more, look who else we have lined up in case you didn't like who've you have just seen!"

Maybe that 's me just being a cynical bastard though.
Old 10th October 2018, 09:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I think that coming soon actors thing was just a time filler. I also think that they are keeping any plot developments so secretive, absolutely no spoilers whatsoever.

If you remember last series, at the end of the first episode they showed a coming soon reel which stupidly gave away John Simm's return after almost ten years. To me they've gone the opposite route this time and are giving nothing away. I have absolutely no idea what any monster looks like this series.
Old 10th October 2018, 09:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I think that coming soon actors thing was just a time filler. I also think that they are keeping any plot developments so secretive, absolutely no spoilers whatsoever.

If you remember last series, at the end of the first episode they showed a coming soon reel which stupidly gave away John Simm's return after almost ten years. To me they've gone the opposite route this time and are giving nothing away. I have absolutely no idea what any monster looks like this series.
I'm much happier with what they did, than as you said last season we had no surprise to who the monsters etc are.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 11th October 2018, 05:48 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
I notice we had no comment from Susan on what she thought of the first episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Would also like to know what Susan thought.
Truth of the matter is, I was unable to watch it

Since we have moved from Nottingham to London, my 'father-in-law' has made it no secret that he doesn't want either Chloe or myself to be here. Therefore discretion being the better part of valour, I am keeping myself out of the way and either staying in the bedroom for hours on end, or going out and just wandering the streets

When it comes to television, the only things they seem to have on are soap operas and sport (football) programmes, so I don't have an Earthly of being permitted to watch 'Doctor Who'

I am resigned to the fact that I will have to wait 6 months or so, and then get the box set on DVD before I can watch one of the most important series in the shows history

To say I am disappointed and disillusioned (not only with the 'Doctor Who' situation, but also the way my life is going in general) is an understatement!!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th October 2018, 06:22 AM
Cult Master

October 11th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1940 - Gerald Taylor (Dalek [1963-1967]; Zarbi in The Web Planet, WOTAN voice & War Machine in The War Machines, Damon's Assistant in The Underwater Menace, Baker's Man in The Dæmons and Vega Nexos in The Monster of Peladon)

1960 - Nicola Bryant (Peri Brown [Fifth & Sixth Doctors' companion]; Big Finish Productions actress - Queen Anne in The Church and the Crown, Doctor Stone & Ouida in Zagreus, Professor Geller in The New Adventures of Bernice Summerfield and Maggie & Mabel in the Iris Wildthyme anthology Wildthyme Reloaded; Big Finish director - The Prisoner of Peladon and the UNIT story The Wasting)

1974 - Ian Mond (writer of Doctor Who and Bernice Summerfield short stories for Big Finish)

1991 - Joseph Tremain (Jim in The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances)

Deaths
1986 - John Crockett (director of Marco Polo [episode four only] and The Aztecs) aged 68
1988 - Roy Herrick (Jean in The Reign of Terror, Xoanon in The Face of Evil and Parsons in The Invisible Enemy) aged 52

Episodes
1975 - Planet of Evil, Part Three: 9.1 million viewers
1980 - Meglos, Part Three: 4.7 million viewers
1986 - The Trial of a Time Lord, Part Six [Mindwarp, Part Two]: 4.6 million viewers
1989 - Ghost Light, Part Two: 4.0 million viewers
2010 - The Sarah Jane Adventures: The Nightmare Man, Part One (CBBC): 0.59 million viewers
2011 - The Sarah Jane Adventures: The Curse of Clyde Langer, Part Two (CBBC): 0.73 million viewers
2014 - Mummy on the Orient Express: 7.11 million viewers

Introductions
2010 - Launch of the fourth series of the Doctor Who spin-off The Sarah Jane Adventures

Releases
1965 - The Dalek World (Souvenir Press)

1984 - Issue 94 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

2007 - Issue 40 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines); Voyager (Panini Comics UK)
2011 - The Complete David Tennant Years (DVD box set - region 1)

2012 - Issue 290 of Doctor Who Adventures (Immediate Media Co.)
2013 - The Enemy of the World and The Web of Fear (iTunes); Ghost in the Machine (Big Finish)
2017 - The Behemoth (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1963 - Director Christopher Barry began outlining plans for The Daleks
2007 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Masters of War took place
2016 - Recording of the Big Finish audios All Hands on Deck and A Small Semblance of Home took place
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 11th October 2018, 08:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Truth of the matter is, I was unable to watch it

Since we have moved from Nottingham to London, my 'father-in-law' has made it no secret that he doesn't want either Chloe or myself to be here. Therefore discretion being the better part of valour, I am keeping myself out of the way and either staying in the bedroom for hours on end, or going out and just wandering the streets

When it comes to television, the only things they seem to have on are soap operas and sport (football) programmes, so I don't have an Earthly of being permitted to watch 'Doctor Who'

I am resigned to the fact that I will have to wait 6 months or so, and then get the box set on DVD before I can watch one of the most important series in the shows history

To say I am disappointed and disillusioned (not only with the 'Doctor Who' situation, but also the way my life is going in general) is an understatement!!!
Oh dear not a very good position to be in, curious Q? since you can use the internet what ever device you're using phone \ tablet etc can you not download bbc iPlayer and watch it on that ? Or wait till he goes out or go to to bed , Hope you get yourself sorted soon and out of that awful situation you're in . if worse comes to worse you could kill him I'm pretty sure you've seen enough films documentaries that give you ideas of how to get away with murder , or some how keep feeding him loads of apple pips that slowly kills someone .
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318706.php

Last edited by gag; 11th October 2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 11th October 2018, 05:38 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Oh dear not a very good position to be in, curious Q? since you can use the internet what ever device you're using phone \ tablet etc can you not download bbc iPlayer and watch it on that ?
To be honest, I'm a complete ignoramus when it comes to questions like that! All I know is that we have a very limited internet MB connection, so we have to be economical when using it. I am OK with text-based pages, but I am currently trying to avoid anything with moving images or sound - YouTube, Planet Rock etc. I am even having to be quick to stop videos playing in FB or newspaper sites. Therefore, downloading anything from the BBC iPlayer (or anything similar) is a definite no-no at the moment

Old 11th October 2018, 06:09 PM
Cult Master

It's been confirmed that episode 3 will be called 'Rosa', and it's the already suggested story set in 1950 Alabama, where the Doctor and her friends encounter Rosa Parks

The story has been written by Malorie Blackman and Chris Chibnall

Whether it's a tale with science fiction elements, or one that is purely historical, remains to be seen

Like this? Share it using the links below!