Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28655Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2018, 02:58 PM
Cult Master

We already know that episode 3 has the title 'Rosa', and it's about Rosa Parks...

...it seems that episode 4 carries the title 'Arachnids in the UK'!

"Something’s happening with the spiders in this city.

The Doctor and her friends find their way back to Yorkshire – and Yaz’s family – only to find something is stirring amidst the eight-legged arachnid population of Sheffield."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th October 2018, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-...y-Walsh-Graham

First couple paragraphs

DOCTOR Who viewers are divided over Jodie Whittaker taking the lead.

Jodie Whittaker was announced as the new Doctor last summer and made her first appearance as the character in the 2017 Christmas special.

Viewers of the classic show have had well over a year to get used to the idea of a female Doctor – but some still aren't convinced.

In fact, some are already calling for her to be replaced just two episodes into Doctor Who series 11.

People have instead taken a particular liking to Bradley Walsh's character Graham O'Brien.

“Honestly prefer Bradley Walsh to the Doctor, can't he just be the Doctor?”

A fan
One fan tweeted: "Honestly prefer Bradley Walsh to the Doctor, can't he just be the Doctor?"

Another said: "Didn't expect Bradley Walsh to be the only solid actor in the main cast. These Hollyoaks kids are diabolically flat. Jodie is wildly inconsistent."

A third wrote: "I'm a huge Doctor Who fan. Love Bradley Walsh, he's doing a great job. Can not decide if it's Jodie Whittaker I can not take to or the awful scripts."

And someone else added: "Great can already tell this whole series is going to be s***. Another terrible episode, along with more terrible acting and storytelling
Old 14th October 2018, 10:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It will be the same old sad sacks who say the same things every season. Last years was better i won't be watching this again etc etc. But low and behold there back watch next season spewing the same crap.

Doctor who, star wars, star trek all these have a,very toxic and childish fan base but thankfully they are the minority also those who no matter how good she is have made up there mind to hate her because she's a woman.
Old 14th October 2018, 10:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm not watching it.
Zero interest, it's a fricking joke now.

Sorry.
hivemind likes this.
Old 14th October 2018, 10:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It will be the same old sad sacks who say the same things every season. Last years was better i won't be watching this again etc etc. But low and behold there back watch next season spewing the same crap.

Doctor who, star wars, star trek all these have a,very toxic and childish fan base but thankfully they are the minority also those who no matter how.Good she is have made up there mind to hate her because she's a woman.
Tbh I just watch it like every other tv show, might complain not keen on the episode but it is what it is, I wasn't keen on peter capaldi or the whole era of him but I still tune in and watch it, but truth be told I still prefer all the original Doctor who before it ended in the 80s but I don't bitch and whine about it. But never going to please everyone like you said with most tv shows .
Old 14th October 2018, 10:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post

Tbh I just watch it like every other tv show, might complain not keen on the episode but it is what it is, I wasn't keen on peter capaldi or the whole era of him but I still tune in and watch it, but truth be told I still prefer all the original Doctor who before it ended in the 80s but I don't bitch and whine about it. But never going to please everyone like you said with most tv shows .
And that's how most normal people behave but as said there is a small toxic minority that just go to extremes it all a little disturbing , granted you can be a fan and get upset but some of these people seem to have deep mental problems and for a show about change at its core they don't seem to like change.

Social media efc has a lot to answer for, mind it's always been the same were writing campaigns to get rid of Patrick Stewart as Picard because he wasn't Kirk or american and other sad reasons but as was no social media back then but if they had been we would of seen the same of backlash as a female doctor, also no matter what program will be those who don't like it , you could probably goto the Facebook site of any show and will be those posting the same type of things. Also I can't see how this is even newsworthy but noticed its the daily star so it's head and shoulder above the usual crap they print

Mind saying what I've said not watched the next episode yet so don't know how good or bad it is, but if it's bad I'm not going to have a melt down which appears some people have

Last edited by trebor8273; 14th October 2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 14th October 2018, 10:59 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 629

The Menoptera from The Web Planet (1965)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p015ltyx.jpg (93.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 14th October 2018, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Doctor who, star wars, star trek all these have a,very toxic and childish fan base but thankfully they are the minority also those who no matter how good she is have made up there mind to hate her because she's a woman.
Did you actually watch this episode tonight, Treb?

It was bloody awful!

No story whatsoever, zero threat, robots in hoodies who can't shoot straight, towels floating around - seriously people don't want to see the Daleks? Well here's what you get instead.

The scene with Ryan 'I can shoot these robots because i play video games' was embarrassing. Seriously. Last week he had dyspraxia which meant he had coordination problems, this week he can become Clint Eastwood and never miss because he plays video games.

We were told the water was full of terrible flesh eating bugs, then our heroes had to make a long boat trip across it. What happened? Nothing whatsoever. Zero. The water was never mentioned again and everyone nodded off on the journey. Terrible writing all round.

There were plus points. The final two minutes i was as in awe as Jodie was as she found her TARDIS again and the cinematography was also excellent again but so much of it was frankly rubbish.

The whole thing reeked of the similarly poor Planet of the Dead.
Old 14th October 2018, 11:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Did you actually watch this episode tonight, Treb?

It was bloody awful!

No story whatsoever, zero threat, robots in hoodies who can't shoot straight, towels floating around - seriously people don't want to see the Daleks? Well here's what you get instead.

The scene with Ryan 'I can shoot these robots because i play video games' was embarrassing. Seriously. Last week he had dyspraxia which meant he had coordination problems, this week he can become Clint Eastwood and never miss because he plays video games. Terrible writing all round.

There were plus points. The final two minutes i was as in awe as Jodie was as she found her TARDIS again and the cinematography was also excellent again but so much of it was frankly rubbish.

The whole thing reeked of the similarly poor Planet of the Dead.
No I haven't yet, if it's that bad i don't think I want too, but I'll watch it tomorrow let's hope it's a one off and it's not going to be the usual quality . How was Jodies performance as that seemed to.be the main point of the article but if it's just an awful writing and story the doctor being a different actor not going to help, which still seems a problem for some
Old 14th October 2018, 11:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
No I haven't yet, if it's that bad i don't think I want too, but I'll watch it tomorrow let's hope it's a one off and it's not going to be the usual quality . How was Jodies performance as that seemed to.be the main point of the article but if it's just an awful writing and story the doctor being a different actor not going to help, which still seems a problem for some
There were scenes with Art Malick where she looked a bit out of her depth i thought, but other quieter scenes where she was able to give the character personality and she came over really well. I won't say more as i didn't realise when i made that last post that you hadn't seen the episode yet.

I loved her in the final couple of minutes.

I do worry that she might not be a natural in the role. She doesn't seem to be able to command a room like the other Doctor's could. I do think this is due to the writers though. She can only say what's written and act as directed. I'd have gone for Sarah Parish for the role myself.

There's a line where she gives Graham (Walsh is excellent by the way) some sunglasses and he asks where she got them? Her answer is so contrived and in no way could it be true seeing as this episode follows directly from the last.

I genuinely like all the companions. Yaz was underused a bit here but her time will come next week by the look of it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!