Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2018, 10:13 PM
Cult Acolyte

lol Good luck with that.

I'm sure they'll tell us who or what GUS was from that Mummy episode in series 8 too....
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I'm guessing stuff will add up later down the line, even though there is supposedly no arc i think things will be tied up later on.
Yeah like that one line in Time of the Doctor which mentioned the crucial plot point of the TARDIS blowing up three years earlier from the finale of The Big (They even named an episode after it) Bang.

It's just poor writing yet again.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:20 PM
Cult Addict

That is true Iank.

I still really enjoyed that episode though.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

What i am getting from this series is the message being sent out to young black men after Ryan for the second week in a row defeated the enemies with a gun.

Doctor Who is supposed to be escapist fun. It might have been well intentioned and educational way back in November 1963 (Thanks for the history cut and paste, gag) but as soon as the Daleks were introduced four weeks later it became fun and the purely historical stories were not the norm following the first season.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:34 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
That is true Iank.

I still really enjoyed that episode though.
Oh I did too, it was one of the few decent ones of that season. It's still astonishing they bring up a plot point like that and never mention it again though!
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The worst thing that didn't make sense was the alien with the time displacement weapon. Fair enough.

All he had to do was send Parks two days into the future with a zap of the gun or a mere few minutes back so she'd miss the bus. It didn't need a contrived plot to achieve it's aims.

As i said, it's poor writing.
Old 21st October 2018, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

As a final point i will say for an episode of Doctor Who it was very up an down, but it was a well made if not well written bit of tv on the whole with a decent message to boot.

There was also one moment where i actually fancied the Doctor. This is a very new feeling and never happened with Colin Baker.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st October 2018, 11:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

i agree with the point about the displacement weapon could have been used to zap Rosa into the future but perhaps that was also not allowed by the thingummy in his head. you could probably pick holes like that in every DW plot. also agree the villain was a bit crap.

the villains motivation was that he was a racist and wanted to stop race relations improving. can't help think though it would have been easier to go back further and stop Lincoln becoming President for instance, or for a British audience a story around William Wilberforce would have been good.

sending the villain backwards in time is asking for trouble - suppose he arrives at a time where he can still change history.

i hope this whole series is not going to be about race. like i say i don't mind a bit lecturing but i prefer it to be a bit more subtle than someone hiding behind bins complaining that in their time they still get stopped by the police. DW already has the worst racists ever invented (The Daleks). DW fans geddit, as we've watched it for all our lives.

jury is still out on the series. episode 1 wasn't very good, Ep2 was an improvement, and this one was even better, but still not hitting the heights.

i fear that there just isn't the talent out there capable of writing good Who anymore.
Old 21st October 2018, 11:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post

jury is still out on the series. episode 1 wasn't very good, Ep2 was an improvement, and this one was even better, but still not hitting the heights.

i fear that there just isn't the talent out there capable of writing good Who anymore.
I'm the opposite to you, Rob.

Thought the first episode was very good, the second a forgettable and plotless waste of time with tonight's being somewhere in the middle.

Yet all three from a film making or should i say tv making level have been excellent.
nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.
Old 21st October 2018, 11:33 PM
Cult Addict

I feel the same way as Dem about the episodes placing, with the first being my favourite.

I also felt they were well made and filmed, so far there hasn't been anything for me that was off puttingly stupid, silly or annoying like riding up a tower block on a motorbike, farting aliens or Abzorbaloff levels of shitness.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 21st October 2018 at 11:53 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!