Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28613Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2018, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I'd say anything except Underworld (I have a special kind of hatred for that one) and possibly The Space Pirates. Besides that though yeah it was that bad (still need to see Twin Dilemma and Time and the Rani though, heard bad things...) Fear Her I haven't seen in ages but I've watched it a few times and I don't remember hating it, which is amazing considering most fans despise it with a passion.
I really don't mind Underworld. I see it as an experiment that failed, even it's story that borrows from Greek myth is a bit of a failure but i still quite like it.

The fact it tries to be different puts it on a different level from last nights rubbish by numbers effort.

The Twin Dilemma is pretty dreadful aside from great performances by Colin and Nicola.

I can't judge The Space Pirates as i wasn't born when it aired and all the episodes are missing. I have read the Target novel but don't really remember it.

Time and the Rani is piss poor but effects wise it's really good. The Tetraps are a decent monster (Far better than anything we've seen this series) and the planet scapes and Rani's bubble traps are very well realised.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Episode 2 of The Space Pirates exists and is on the Lost in Time set!
Seems okay to me from that at least.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Episode 2 of The Space Pirates exists and is on the Lost in Time set!
Seems okay to me from that at least.
So it does, i'd totally forgotten about it.

Look i need help! I have severe mental trauma after sitting through that f*cking nightmare yesterday evening. I'm allowed lapses.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So it does, i'd totally forgotten about it.

Look i need help! I have severe mental trauma after sitting through that f*cking nightmare yesterday evening. I'm allowed lapses.
I dread to think where you'll be when this parody of a show ends.

Probably in the mental asylum. I very nearly had a cardiac arrest last night.

If their was ever a time I personally needed a Doctor, it was right after seeing that piece of shit.
Mojo likes this.
Old 5th November 2018, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I dread to think where you'll be when this parody of a show ends.

Probably in the mental asylum. I very nearly had a cardiac arrest last night.

If their was ever a time I personally needed a Doctor, it was right after seeing that piece of shit.
I will watch the last five episodes purely so i know that when i give up with it at the end of the series i will have given it a proper chance and can feel happy in my mind that i didn't switch off too soon. It is (supposedly) Doctor Who after all. It's been part of my life since i was five.

I did think the first episode was decent as was Arachnids in the UK.
Old 5th November 2018, 11:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I will watch the last five episodes purely so i know that when i give up with it at the end of the series i will have given it a proper chance and can feel happy in my mind that i didn't switch off too soon. It is (supposedly) Doctor Who after all. It's been part of my life since i was five.

I did think the first episode was decent as was Arachnids in the UK.
I always remember watching my first Who waaay back in 1980. Full Circle to be precise on BBC1. Never missed Doctor Who once after seeing Tom Baker. But this is no longer Doctor Who. It pains me to think that this has even happened Dem, and certainly understand how you feel. For me, it's gonna be hard not being a part of a show that's been with me for so long like yourself. All I have is happy memories of past Doctor's and some great companions, bar Bonnie Langford.

I wish you luck on your journey to the end of Who. Just hope it goes out on a high, and not a bloody pathetic mess.
Old 6th November 2018, 07:07 AM
Cult Master

November 6th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1943 - Roselyn Parker (assistant floor manager on The Abominable Snowmen, The Web of Fear, The Claws of Axos and The Monster of Peladon)
1944 - Timothy Block (Tanner in Black Orchid)

1947 - Carolyn Seymour (Big Finish Productions actress - Mrs Stubbs in Ghost Walk, Mordrega in The Ghosts of Gralstead, Freda Mattingley in Prisoners of the Lake, the Slave in Only the Monstrous, Mrs Multravers in the Jago & Litefoot story The Haunting, Mrs. Whitaker in the Churchill Years story The Chartwell Metamorphosis and Lady Suzanne Clare in the New Counter-Measures stories A Gamble With Time and My Enemy's Enemy)

1949 - Nigel Havers (Nick Zimmerman in the Big Finish audio No More Lies and Peter Dalton in the Sarah Jane Adventures story The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith)

Deaths
2017 - Scott Fredericks (Boaz in Day of the Daleks, Maximillian Stael in Image of the Fendahl and the Blake's 7 character Carnell in Magic Bullet Productions' Doctor Who spin-off Kaldor City) aged 74

Episodes
1965 - The Myth Makers, Episode Four ('Horse of Destruction'): 8.3 million viewers
1976 - The Deadly Assassin, Part Two: 12.1 million viewers
2009 - The Sarah Jane Adventures: The Eternity Trap, Part Two (CBBC): 0.93 million viewers

Documentaries
2006 - Torchwood Declassified: Girl Trouble (BBC Three)

Releases
1995 - The King's Demons and The Five Doctors: Special Edition (VHS box set)

1997 - The Second Doctor Handbook (Virgin Books)

2000 - Endgame and The King of Terror (BBC Books); The Tenth Planet and Attack of the Cybermen (VHS tin set)

2003 - Doctor Who Magazine Special Edition: We ❤ Doctor Who (Panini Comics UK)
2005 - The Legend (BBC Books) [2nd Edition Hardback];
2008 - Issue 89 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines); Whatever Happened to Sarah Jane?, The Lost Boy, The Last Sontaran and The Day of the Clown (Penguin Character Books - The Sarah Jane Adventures)
2013 - Prisoners of Time (IDW Publishing); issue 333 of Doctor Who Adventures (Immediate Media Co.)

2015 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 145 (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1995 - Philip Segal requested Doctor Who fans to appeal to Universal Studios Entertainment to continue being a partner on the TV Movie
1998 - Recording of Big Finish's Bernice Summerfield stories Walking to Babylon and Birthright took place
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th November 2018, 02:22 PM
Cult Acolyte

I seriously haven't enjoyed any of this series so far, but Saturday's effort was the absolute nadir of Doctor Who. Crap story, pathetic CGI 'monster' ( and to think once upon a time we had magnificent creations such as the Voc Robots and Zygons ). If the best thing The Guardian can come up with is that 'it had an awesome spaceship' then we really are in trouble. And, in actual fact, the Eagles soaring through space in Space 1999 40 years ago looked a hundred times better.
I'm sick of the box - ticking moralising that goes on in every f*cking episode and five episodes in, JW may be a good actress, but Dr Who she ain't.
Actually, I'm beginning to think the reason there have been no spoilers this series, is because there is nothing worth spoil(er) ing.
Demdike@Cult Labs and iank like this.
Old 6th November 2018, 02:23 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I seriously haven't enjoyed any of this series so far, but Saturday's effort was the absolute nadir of Doctor Who. Crap story, pathetic CGI 'monster' ( and to think once upon a time we had magnificent creations such as the Voc Robots and Zygons ). If the best thing The Guardian can come up with is that 'it had an awesome spaceship' then we really are in trouble. And, in actual fact, the Eagles soaring through space in Space 1999 40 years ago looked a hundred times better.
I'm sick of the box - ticking moralising that goes on in every f*cking episode and five episodes in, JW may be a good actress, but Dr Who she ain't.
Actually, I'm beginning to think the reason there have been no spoilers this series, is because there is nothing worth spoil(er) ing.
Hear hear!
Mojo likes this.
Old 6th November 2018, 02:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm dreading the next episode but have to watch just to see if it can possible be any worse!

Like this? Share it using the links below!