Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28634Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2018, 08:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

I feel you're right about the BBC, esp given that even Missy wasn't Moffat's idea - she was a BBC mandate to prepare the audience for the incoming Great Castration. I don't believe for one moment the fairy story about Chibbers making a female Doctor a requirement for him accepting the job. More like the other way around.
hivemind likes this.
Old 9th November 2018, 08:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I feel you're right about the BBC, esp given that even Missy wasn't Moffat's idea - she was a BBC mandate to prepare the audience for the incoming Great Castration. I don't believe for one moment the fairy story about Chibbers making a female Doctor a requirement for him accepting the job. More like the other way around.
Well, the Alpha male has been on the chopping board for sometime now, and as the classic saying says, 'the writing is on the wall', quite literally. It just pains me that Dr Who is heading toward dead end, with no way out. Chibnall takes the fall, and the BBC carry on regardless, but with a possible new show runner who also conforms to the same guff. Mind you, it is a BBC made programme, so the BBC can do what it likes with it. Makes me want to vomit.
Old 9th November 2018, 09:58 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Well, the Alpha male has been on the chopping board for sometime now, and as the classic saying says, 'the writing is on the wall', quite literally. It just pains me that Dr Who is heading toward dead end, with no way out. Chibnall takes the fall, and the BBC carry on regardless, but with a possible new show runner who also conforms to the same guff. Mind you, it is a BBC made programme, so the BBC can do what it likes with it. Makes me want to vomit.
Still at least they aren't shunting it around the schedules as they did when it was on Saturday nights.

Oh wait. Yes they are!
hivemind likes this.
Old 10th November 2018, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Still at least they aren't shunting it around the schedules as they did when it was on Saturday nights.

Oh wait. Yes they are!
Shame the BBC don't shunt parody Who to the grave yard slot of 2am in the morning. I've never felt so embarrassed about Dr Who since Eastenders met Dr Who in 1993 with Dimensions in Time.
Old 10th November 2018, 05:18 AM
Cult Master

November 10th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1902 - Valerie Taylor (extra in The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve and The Enemy of the World)
1931 - Don Henderson (Gavrok in Delta and the Bannermen)

1936 - Terence Lodge (Medok in The Macra Terror, Orum in Carnival of Monsters and Moss in Planet of the Spiders)

1960 - Neil Gaiman (writer of The Doctor's Wife, Nightmare in Silver and the Puffin Books ebook Nothing O'clock)

1963 - Hugh Bonnerville (Captain Henry Avery in The Curse of the Black Spot and A Good Man Goes to War and Sir Sidney Herbert & Tsar Nicholas I in the Big Finish audio The Angel of Scutari)

1975 - Stephan Pehrsson (Director of Photography [2011-2013])

1976 - Jeremy Radick (Gareth in the TV Movie)

Deaths
1972 - Francis Chagrin (music composer on The Dalek Invasion of Earth and father of Vengeance on Varos guest actor Nicolas Chagrin) aged 66; Rosemary Johnson (Hilda Rowse in Planet of Giants) aged 59

1989 - Clyde Pollitt (Time Lord in The War Games and The Three Doctors [Chancellor]) aged 65

1990 - Dudley Jones (John Dyson in The Tenth Planet) died aged 75

1991 - Tutte Lemkow (Kuiju in Marco Polo, Ibrahim in The Crusade and Cyclops in The Myth Makers; choreographer on The Celestial Toymaker) aged 73

1993 - Jocelyn Birdsall (Hlynia in The Web Planet) aged 59

2006 - Chubby Oates (Policeman in Planet of the Spiders) aged 63

Episodes
1979 - The Creature from the Pit, Part Three: 10.2 million viewers
2008 - The Sarah Jane Adventures: The Mark of the Beserker, Part Two (CBBC): 1.53 million viewers

Releases
1983 - Issue 83 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1988 - Issue 143 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)
2005 - Issue 363 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)
2010 - Defending Bannerman Road (online comic strip)

2011 - Children of Steel and Judgement Day (AudioGO - The Sarah Jane Adventures); issue 243 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)
2013 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 37 (Big Finish Productions)

Behind-the-Scenes
1969 - Charlotte and Dennis Palmer submitted a proposed story entitled The Shadow People. It was ultimately never used
2005 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Settling took place

2009 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Emperor of Eternity took place
2010 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Binary took place
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th November 2018, 12:49 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 655

The Cybermen take over Torchwood in the 2006 classic story Army of Ghosts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ns2ep12e.jpg (96.2 KB, 39 views)
Mojo likes this.
Old 10th November 2018, 04:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Cybermen take over Torchwood in the 2006 classic story Army of Ghosts.

Now there's a modern Story I liked, much as I prefer this Universe's Mondasian Cybermen to the other ones. The cliff hanger was amazing back in the day: I had no idea the Daleks were back. Not until The Doctor Falls was I so anxious to get through a week to see the second part of a Story (though as good as that one was, the BBC basically ruined any surprise with the old Cybermen and the Master).

If only todays Season was half as good as this... I did like the Women Who Feel to Earth a bit but everything else is either just meh or hideously bad (last week).
Old 10th November 2018, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Saw Attack of the Cybermen again last night. Still love this story! Gritty and dark but with some wonderful characters and actors and cracking dialogue. It is - oh God I'm old - 30 years since I first saw this on an off-air recording. Loved it then, love it now.
I have never understood why people hate this Story. Sure Episode 1 is the better of the 2 but I liked the whole thing regardless, same with Revelation. And I know I sound like a broken record here going on about it but: just imagine the current Season was HALF as good as this.
Old 10th November 2018, 08:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Big "like" there.
Old 10th November 2018, 09:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

A thought came to me today as I was thinking about Jodie's portrayal of the role: remember Tennant's first Story with the Sycorax? In that Story, where he's basically asleep most of the time, he sends the Sycorax packing and then proceeds to bring down the British Government with 6 words. Iconic. I think they (writers) had a chance to do something similar with the Trump-esque character in the Spider Story a couple of weeks back: That would've been a perfect moment to utilise Jodie's potential as she takes him on. But she didn't.

The point is that all the Doctors seem to have their "moment" when they've truly got the role nailed down. Whether its Troughton's "evils in the universe" speech or Bakers "Indomitable humans" speech its there. In Tennant's case we know, thanks to good writing and a brilliant performance, by the end of the first Story, exactly what kind of Doctor he's going to be when he deposes of Harriet Jones. He didn't get his way and he's not even caring about it being a "fixed point" in time: she's was losing power the second she gave that command. He isn't even in the Story that much (and he's asleep for a lot of it when he is on-screen) yet he is able to nail the role in such a short space of screen-time. Jodie hasn't had an opportunity like that yet. I hope (I really am) that it comes sooner rather than later if it even does...

Like this? Share it using the links below!