Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28509Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2018, 09:53 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 657

The Silurians pet dinosaur that lives in the cave system below Wenley Moor in the classic 1970 story Doctor Who and the Silurians.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dinosaur.jpg (24.5 KB, 54 views)
Old 12th November 2018, 10:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

this weeks episode was worse than last weeks, the show is definitely getting worse week by week.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:38 AM
Cult Addict

I don't see that myself, i though last weeks was the worse so far with the stupid Tasmanian devil style alien.

This weeks was well made and one of the better episodes of the series, i liked this weeks new aliens and although they weren't used well they looked interesting, i'd like to see them met along the line doing the assassin stuff.

The human storyline this week was well played out and i found the setting and story interesting.

I do think Chibnell seems a bad fit for Who, and the season has been underwhelming, but i don't put that down to P.C stuff.

It's just that the writing is not really showing any real affinity with how Who traditionally works and seems to be to focused on the everyday and relationships over the universe, monsters and danger.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th November 2018, 10:41 AM
Cult Addict

One thing i've noticed is that the new intro feels slightly womblike to me.
I like it but i wonder if it's just me who thinks this.

That'll probably set everyone off as well now.
Demoncrat likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th November 2018, 11:23 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
One thing i've noticed is that the new intro feels slightly womblike to me.
I like it but i wonder if it's just me who thinks this.

That'll probably set everyone off as well now.
I presumed they were an update of the Troughton titles given a 21st century spin.
Old 13th November 2018, 05:26 AM
Cult Master

In memory of Stan Lee - editor-in-chief, publisher and chairman of Marvel, which published Doctor Who Magazine between 1979-1999

nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th November 2018, 06:12 AM
Cult Master

November 13th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1929 - Eric Lindsay (extra in Revelation of the Daleks and Dragonfire)
1931 - Adrienne Corri (Mena in The Leisure Hive)

1940 - Wally K. Daly (writer of the unmade TV story-turned-Target novel The Ultimate Evil)

1947 - Michael Osborne (Sorak in The Horns of Nimon and an extra in The Myth Makers and The Ark)

1952 - Art Malik (Ilin in The Ghost Monument and Abbot Absolute in the Big Finish audio The Skull of Sobek)

1954 - Chris Noth (Jack Robertson in Arachnids in the UK)

1957 - Stephen Baxter (writer of the BBC novel The Wheel of Ice)
1976 - Camilla Power (Pearl in the Torchwood story From Out of the Rain; Big Finish Productions actress - Pertilda, Jenessa & Zaria in Psychodrome, Councillor Costal in The Foe from the Future, Carrie Pierce in The Movellan Grave, Mademoiselle in Dark Eyes 4 and Adella in the Jago & Litefoot story The Mourning After)

Deaths
2001 - Peggy Mount (Stallholder in The Greatest Show in the Galaxy) aged 86

Episodes
1965 - The Daleks' Master Plan, Episode One ('The Nightmare Begins'): 9.1 million viewers
1976 - The Deadly Assassin, Part Three: 13.0 million viewers
2003 - Scream of the Shalka, Part One (webcast)
2009 - The Sarah Jane Adventures: Mona Lisa's Revenge, Part Two (CBBC): 0.92 million viewers

Documentaries
2006 - Torchwood Declassified: Away With the Fairies (BBC Three)

Releases
1980 - Issue 47 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1986 - Issue 119 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

2008 - The Time Capsule and The Ghost House (BBC Audio - The Sarah Jane Adventures); issue 90 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines); The Time Traveller's Almanac (BBC Books); issue 402 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)

2012 - The Child of Time (Panini Books); Chicks Unravel Time: Women Journey Through Every Season of Doctor Who (Mad Norwegian Press)

2013 - Prisoners of Time, Part Eleven (IDW Publishing)
2014 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 72 (Big Finish)
2015 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 146 (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1999 - Doctor Who Night (BBC Two). For the first time in the UK, the full version of the 1996 TV Movie was broadcast, allowing scenes that were previously edited out due to a recent shooting to be seen by British Whovians for the first time, Also shown was a re-edited version of The Daleks, Episode Seven ('The Rescue'), three comedy sketches starring Mark Gattis and David Walliams ('The Pitch Of Fear', 'The Web Of Caves' and 'The Kidnappers') and a Documentary on the history of the show entitled 'Adventures In Time And Space', 'How to Live Forever' (which looked at the possibility of regeneration), 'Carnival of Monsters' (examining the various monsters that have appeared in the show) and Dr Jim Al-Khalili looking at the possibility of 'How to Build a TARDIS'; recording of the Big Finish audio The Genocide Machine

2002 - Recording of Big Finish's audio adaptation of the untransmitted story Shada took place
2012 - Recording of the fifth series of Big Finish's Doctor Who spin-off Gallifrey took place
2013 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Iterations of I took place
2014 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Triumph of Sutekh took place

2017 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Erasure took place

Old 13th November 2018, 11:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 658

The Dalek Prime Minister with a white Supreme Dalek in the 2012 story Asylum of the Daleks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dalek pm.jpg (57.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 14th November 2018, 06:31 AM
Cult Master

November 14th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1920 - Tom Bowman (Sentry in The Highlanders)

1929 - Don McKillop (Bert in The Dæmons)

1930 - Michael Robbins (Richard Mace in The Visitation)

1944 - Keith Drinkel (Roger Scobie in Time-Flight; BBV actor - Bob Calhoun & Torlakh in Zygon: When Being You Just Isn't Enough, Emperor Lukor in The Choice, Moses of Tyre in The Green Man, Parker in Race Memory and Sabbath in the Faction Paradox stories Movers and A Labyrinth of Histories; Big Finish Productions actor - Henry Hallam in Catch-1782, the Cinder in Frostfire and Archibald Spool in the Bernice Summerfield story Timeless Passages)

1959 - Paul McGann (The Doctor [Eighth Doctor]; Big Finish actor - Zagreus in the Big Finish audios Neverland and Zagreus, the Editor in The Natural History of Fear and Edward Marlow in Other Lives; himself in the 50th anniversary spoof The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot)

1981 - Russell Tovey (Midhurst Alonso Frame in Voyage of the Damned, The End of Time and Big Finish's The Lives of Captain Jack story One Enchanting Evening)

1987 - Dimitri Leonidas (Howie Spragg in The God Complex)

Deaths
1964 - Jean Conroy (Woman in the Woods in The Dalek Invasion of Earth) aged 29 [NOTE: Her appearance in The Dalek Invasion Of Earth was transmitted shortly after her death in a street accident. She is the first known person who has been involved in Doctor Who to have died]

1980 - Peter Brachacki (designer on An Unearthly Child; creator of the original TARDIS interior set) aged 54

2006 - John Hallam (Light in Ghost Light) aged 65

2009 - Bruce Wells (Ogron in Day of the Daleks, a Thal in the movie Dr. Who and the Daleks and an extra in The Tenth Planet, The War Games and Frontier in Space) aged 76

Episodes
1964 - Planet of Giants, Episode Three ('Crisis'): 8.9 million viewers
2013 - The Night of the Doctor (webcast)

2015 - Sleep No More: 5.61 million viewers

Documentaries
2013 - The Science of Doctor Who (BBC Two)

Releases
1985 - Issue 107 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel) [NOTE - This was the first issue to carry the title 'Doctor Who Magazine'. Issue 106 was the last issue where it was entitled '*The* Doctor Who Magazine']

2002 - Issue 324 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)
2011 - Torchwood: Series 1-4 (DVD and Blu-ray box set - region 2)

2013 - Issue 467 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)
2014 - The Bounty of Ceres (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1966 - Location filming for The Highlanders took place
1995 - Matthew Jacobs submitted his fourth draft script for the TV Movie
1999 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Genocide Machine took place
2001 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Excelis Rising took place

2002 - Recording of Big Finish's audio adaptation of the untransmitted story Shada took place
2005 - Music for The Christmas Invasion was recorded by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales; recording of the Big Finish audio Something Inside took place
2012 - Recording of Big Finish's audio adaptation of the unmade TV story The Mega took place
2013 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Iterations of I took place
2014 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Triumph of Sutekh took place
2017 - Recording of Big Finish's Torchwood story Believe and Big Finish's Doctor Who story The Lure of the Nomad took place

Old 14th November 2018, 06:43 AM
Cult Master

Titles and synopses for the final two episodes have been announced:

Episode 9. “It Takes You Away

Synopsis:
On the edge of a Norwegian fjord, in the present day, The Doctor, Ryan, Graham and Yaz discover a boarded-up cottage and a girl named Hanne in need of their help. What has happened here? What monster lurks in the woods around the cottage – and beyond?
Written by Ed Hime. Directed by Jamie Childs. Guest starring Ellie Wallwork and Kevin Eldon

Episode 10. “The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos

Synopsis:
On the planet of Ranskoor Av Kolos, lies the remains of a brutal battlefield. But as the Doctor, Graham, Yaz and Ryan answer nine separate distress calls, they discover the planet holds far more secrets. Who is the mysterious commander with no memory? What lies beyond the mists? Who or what are the Ux? The answers will lead the Doctor and her friends towards a deadly reckoning
Written by Chris Chibnall. Directed by Jamie Childs. Guest starring Phyllis Logan, Mark Addy and Percelle Ascott.

Like this? Share it using the links below!