Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2018, 10:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Don't mind Planet of Fire. But nothing could be better written in the Davison era than Caves of Androzani. Still love that story, even though some people say it's one of the most overrated Dr Who stories. Christopher Gable was brilliantly cast as Sharaz Jek.
Caves is one of my fave and one of of the best death/ regeneration stories.
hivemind likes this.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Oh I know it'a a pipe dream.
I've given up dreaming and even hoping. I think I might just join you in Australia and pop a Fosters on the beach, and get some much needed sun.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Caves is one of my fave and one of of the best death/ regeneration stories.
I would say it's one of Robert Holmes's best. It just stinks that Twin Dilemma followed on. I've always liked Anthony Ainley as the Master. He's Machiavellian all the way. Best Master since Delgardo too.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

All the show needs is for someone to take over who actually understands the concept of Doctor Who.

Mark Gatiss, Toby Whithouse, Ben Aaronovitch, Paul Cornell, Gareth Roberts - all spring to mind.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

There'll be no ten year break if the article linked above is correct. The BBC want more of the show not less.
Old 17th November 2018, 10:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
I think it needs resting, tbh. A good decade off-air and then brought back as a niche show on BBC 2 aimed at actual sci-fi/horror fans instead of soap opera fans and the PC crowd.
It's just sad and embarrassing at this point.
It may be sad and embarrassing NOW, but it wasn't. Up until the end of Capaldi's first series it was on the whole very good. Yes for sure there were poor episodes and dodgy story arcs but there was also brilliance in there as well.

It's a pity that Steven Moffat couldn't leave when he wanted to as it all seemed to get on top of him after that.

Oh and when was it ever a niche show on BBC2?

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 17th November 2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 17th November 2018, 11:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
All the show needs is for someone to take over who actually understands the concept of Doctor Who.

Mark Gatiss, Toby Whithouse, Ben Aaronovitch, Paul Cornell, Gareth Roberts - all spring to mind.
Can you see that happening. I too Dem would love to see someone like Cornell take over the reigns and bring Dr Who back from the brink. Sadly we're heading toward a brick wall, and at full speed. There's too much political correctness, diversity and inclusion in the show now, plus Chibnall will probably stay on to the bitter end, and the BBC hierarchy seem determined to make certain the current status quo doesn't change anytime soon.
Old 17th November 2018, 11:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Can you see that happening. I too Dem would love to see someone like Cornell take over the reigns and bring Dr Who back from the brink. Sadly we're heading toward a brick wall, and at full speed. There's too much political correctness, diversity and inclusion in the show now, plus Chibnall will probably stay on to the bitter end, and the BBC hierarchy seem determined to make certain the current status quo doesn't change anytime soon.
No, it's a shame but i can't really see it happening as you say.

I also think that article is probably someone's hopes for the future rather than actual what will happen. However we'll see.

By the way. Tonight's episode might well be a proper slice of Doctor Who if reports are correct.
Old 17th November 2018, 11:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
No, it's a shame but i can't really see it happening as you say.

I also think that article is probably someone's hopes for the future rather than actual what will happen. However we'll see.

By the way. Tonight's episode might well be a proper slice of Doctor Who if reports are correct.
Just make certain Dem that you have a Bloody Mary on ice if this episode goes tits up! That will soothe the rage, and give you something to throw (empty glass) at the blinking flat screen TV if this episode sucks purple ding bats.

Good luck dear boy.
Old 17th November 2018, 11:25 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Just make certain Dem that you have a Bloody Mary on ice if this episode goes tits up! That will soothe the rage, and give you something to throw (empty glass) at the blinking flat screen TV if this episode sucks purple ding bats.

Good luck dear boy.
Let's just say i'm more hopeful than previous weeks, and leave it there until half seven tonight.

Like this? Share it using the links below!