Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th December 2018, 12:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I think Warriors of the Deep is a million times better than ALL of season 11...and most of season 9 and 10.

I'm all for Warriors. I just love watching Ingrid kung fu the Myrka in such extraordinary style. The Matrix meets Doctor Who.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:35 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Your love for Chibnall grows stronger.
Shameful isn't it.

All that bloody criticism, and I'm actually giving a little nod to a Chris Chibnall story.

Maybe Russell helped out Chibnall with the writing process of 42. You know, some pointers. Ok! Maybe some BIG pointers. Ok.... let's just say Russell T. Davies wrote the bloody story in an alternative universe, and I can forget Chris Chibnall wrote 42 altogether!

I feel better now.

Last edited by hivemind; 4th December 2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:43 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I mean it is basically a remake of Planet of Evil (except less good, with no amazing jungle set) but it always stayed in my mind. "Burn with me", something most of the recent episodes are failing to do.

I also just watched The Five Doctors and became totally confused. Growing up I had the 1995 version released on DVD, except I always assumed that was the original version. So when I watched the new DVD, went with the original disc, I was surprised to find everything different. Like Silver Nemesis, the longer version is better.
Look at it this way. 42 was well acted. Tennant gave his all in that one episode (as he did for most of his tenure as Who). And Chris Chibnall's a hack. I think we both agree that 42 has it's faults, but I do enjoy the story, well, sort of. And I'm NOT backtracking Dem.
Old 4th December 2018, 01:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

I have to disagree on The Five Doctors. The original's far better than the SE IMO.
Old 4th December 2018, 04:40 AM
Cult Addict

...I did write a civilised defence of the latest episode, then ended up going on a rant cuz i am beyond pissed at present.

Then i accidentally deleted my defence of Nu - Who.

So basically i'm going to post my rant. (which conveniently i saved)

I'm going to try to re-construct my original argument tomorrow but to be honest i'm probably gonna be hungover till 5pm, and by then i probably won't remember or even give a flying monkey jizz.

So here's my rant.

Huzzah and tossflaps....

.....I like a villain plot but to be honest personally i was getting tired of everything being blamed on an alien race.
Think of "Vampires of venice" being actual vampire's, Flip me mind blowing shit.

It's a bit like when every Scooby- doo baddie is some guy in a mask.
Surely we can have human villains, after all we all know humans are the worst kind of monsters. (quoting Vincent Price in "The Monster club")

download (62).jpeg

I'm not saying the new series is great, i'm just saying people are so Uckfed up by their own idea's and preconceptions that they won't go with anything remotely different.

I'm not P.C, i think whitewashing history is criminal, but personally i don't really think making kids aware of injustice in the world is a bad thing.

So i'm generally fine with the Rosa Parks/ Punjab episodes, the only thing i had a problem with was the pregnant bloke because it didn't progress the story and was bullshit.

Personally i though half of this season was decent, the problem is Chibnall, with his mundane everyday basis of stories and refusal to actually encompass the history of "Who" within his new series, is in effect alienating the core audience.

...Actually now i've thought about it i've decided i want a new series that is exactly the same as every other, ad infinitum until the end of time and everything to be exactly as i experienced it back in the Tom Baker era when i first saw it.

..Even if we have to exhume his corpse ( I do know he’s not dead yet) , mount it atop a dalek and drive it around remote control like.

Yeah, Screw it, let's do that.

How about a hybrid Baker/ Davros that we can wind up like an 80's Evel Kneivel and get it to jump ramps and shit.

Yep i want that !!

Basically i want Doctor Who to be precisely what i want and everything else is shit because i hate change and am really insecure.(cough)

...Actually Ballsacks to it i wan't Dr Who to die and never exist because it is not what i want, no other generation should ever ever experience one ounce of the wonder i experienced while watching "The Underwater menace" and masterpieces such as "The Web Planet" and the "Twin Dilemma".

..So stick that in your Aunt Bessie/Whomobile and reverse the polarities.

Tra la la ...not listening.

(Sarcasm.. Ahem ... or is it??)

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 4th December 2018 at 04:54 AM.
Old 4th December 2018, 05:20 AM
Cult Addict

By the way 42 i always thought was a shit episode.

Slitheen are farty bollocks.

Absorbaloff is toss but vaguely redeemed by being a Blue Peter competition villain or something like that.

Satan in the "Satan pit" did nothing apart from sit in his pit.

The Racnoss do nothing in Runaway Bride apart from stand in one spot, wow now that's a threat.

Fear Her is o.k till the Olympic torch shit.

Over 50% of the Christmas episodes are sentimental twattery and a wasted of celluloid or whatever it is now.

Nobody ever brought back the Draconians, which is frankly twat.

The most popular Doctor Tennant was the least Doctor, Doctor signifying that the young kids don't really give amonkeyfudge.

New, New york is shit.

They killed my favourite Black Dalek and made him into a Squidhead Cthulhu suited gangster twat.

The Master suddenly decided to go a bit glowy and jump around a bit and the Doctor shrunk into a parrot/ golem bag of shite.

There was a floaty bus in the desert or something, i lost interest.

O.k this week had a talking frog.

At least it wasn't a farting/glowing frog riding a bus covered in xmas decorations.

... Actually get me the Who office cuz they gonna lap that dogshite up.

...Is everybody happy now.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 5th December 2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 4th December 2018, 05:24 AM
Cult Addict

I think i'm having some kind of meltdown...

I think maybe my defence of the latest episode was a tenuous thread linking me to reality, now it's gone i'm left floating in space like Sandra Bullock or a lonely turd.

I saw a woman earlier in a fast food establishment eating ice cream before starting on chicken and fries. What's that all about.

Did someone reverse the polarity of reality?

At this point i'm wondering if the Muppets was the first reality show and waiting for Foxy Brown to be on the "Apprentice."

"Thanks for the opportunity Sugar".

Last edited by nosferatu42; 4th December 2018 at 05:42 AM.
Old 4th December 2018, 10:20 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 678

The Frog from It Takes You Away (2017)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PLANO-CRITICO-DOCTOR-WHO-IT-TAKES-YOU-AWAY-600x400.jpg (24.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 4th December 2018, 10:32 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post

I'm not P.C, i think whitewashing history is criminal, but personally i don't really think making kids aware of injustice in the world is a bad thing.

So i'm generally fine with the Rosa Parks/ Punjab episodes, the only thing i had a problem with was the pregnant bloke because it didn't progress the story and was bullshit.
There was a Doctor Who joke on Have i Got News For You this week, concerning its moral lesson messaging, a sign that the the mainstream media have noted the slightly preachy tone of the series.

Bring on another female doctor. but next time make sure they at least give the role the gravitas it needs and not someone who thinks ending a sentence with a gurn is all that's needed. JW is utterly useless.
DT, PC, MS even CE all made he believe you are watching a character hundreds of years old, there's just nothing with her.
Old 4th December 2018, 11:20 AM
Cult Master

December 4th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1925 - Geraldine Stephenson (Choreographer on The Brain of Morbius)
1926 - Roy Pattison (Draconian Space Pilot in Frontier in Space and Zazzka in The Hand of Fear)

1930 - Ronnie Corbett (Rahnius in Comic Relief's Sarah Jane Adventures story From Raxacoricofallapatorius With Love)

1937 - David Bailie (Taren Capel in The Robots of Death and Magic Bullet Productions' Kaldor City stories Taren Capel and Checkmate and the Celestial Toymaker in the Big Finish audios The Nightmare Fair and Solitaire)

Deaths
1971 - Alec Ross (Bob Hall in The Evil of the Daleks) aged 49

1982 - George Tovey (Ernice Clements in Pyramids of Mars; father of the Dalek movies' Susan actress Roberta Tovey) aged 68

1983 - Maurice Browning (Karlton in The Daleks' Master Plan) aged 64

1994 - Gerald Taylor (Dalek [1963-1967]; Zarbi in The Web Planet, WOTAN voice & War Machine in The War Machines, Damon's Assistant in The Underwater Menace, Baker's Man in The Dæmons and Vega Nexos in The Monster of Peladon) aged 54

Episodes
1965 - The Daleks' Master Plan, Episode Four ('The Traitors'): 9.5 million viewers
2003 - Scream of the Shalka, Part Three (webcast)

Documentaries
2006 - Torchwood Declassified: Beyond the Grave (BBC Three)
2016 - Class: Behind-the-Scenes (iTunes and Amazon Prime Video)

Introductions
1965 - First appearance of Jean Marsh as Sara Kingdom, Doctor Who's first "one-off companion" (a character deliberately written to become the Doctor's companion for one story only)

Departures
1965 - Final appearance of Adrienne Hill as Katarina

Releases
1980 - The Monster of Peladon (Target Books)

2006 - Doctor Who Official Soundtracks: Series One and Two (Silva Screen Records)

2008 - Number 1, Gallows Gate Road, Part One (online short story); issue 93 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)

2013 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 38 (Big Finish Productions)
2014 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 83 (Big Finish)
2015 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 149 (Big Finish)
2017 - Shada (DVD and Blu-ray - region 2)

Behind-the-Scenes
2011 - Recording of the third series of Big Finish's Doctor Who spin-off Iris Wildthyme took place
2012 - Recording of The Library of Alexandria took place
2017 - Recording of Big Finish's Doctor Who spin-off Jenny: The Doctor's Daughter took place
MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!