Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28655Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2018, 06:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post

What we need is Jodie on her own squaring off with an old foe. Have confidence in her. Lets see her gravitas. Currently with the way things are Davros (played by any actor but especially Wisher) would dominate her.

"Do i have the right?"
trebor8273 and Gothmogxx like this.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Visualising it I could see her in the scenes about "the power to end all life" and "Do I have the right". Given that quality standard of writing and opportunities to act I think that she would improve drastically in a scenario like that.

Even little bits of humour like in Seeds of Doom "like Scorby here" or The Leisure Hive "Arrest the scarf then!": Even little bits like that aren't present in the current Stories for the Doctor to take advantage of. Graham on the other hand has benefitted from this massively: unquestionably the best of the current TARDIS crew.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Visualising it I could see her in the scenes about "the power to end all life" and "Do I have the right". Given that quality standard of writing and opportunities to act I think that she would improve drastically in a scenario like that.

Even little bits of humour like in Seeds of Doom "like Scorby here" or The Leisure Hive "Arrest the scarf then!": Even little bits like that aren't present in the current Stories for the Doctor to take advantage of. Graham on the other hand has benefitted from this massively: unquestionably the best of the current TARDIS crew.
The thing is for me is she can't break through the bad writing unlike previous Doctors.

No matter how poor a story was (Hello Nightmare in Silver) the actor always gave a good showing - whereas Jodie comes across as unable to actually live the role.
Old 11th December 2018, 06:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I don't mean to rant but I mean... Sure a returning foe would help, especially one of the big ones. But even then its not a major problem. Compare Season 13 and Series 11: all have no returning monsters or villains. Yet 5 out of 6 of those Stories from Season 13 are all 10/10's (and make my Tom Baker top 13 list).

And despite Android Invasions faults: Its first Episode alone is a 10/10, its just a lousy conclusion. But its still better than most of Series 11.

Lets compare monsters and villains by order of episode release for Season 13 and Series 11.

Tim Shaw vs The Zygons: Zygons all the way.

Floating bandages vs The anti-matter monster/jungle: anti-monster wins on atmosphere alone when you can't see it but even when it does appear its still more threatening.

Captain Jack wannabe and random racists from the 50's vs Sutekh, Scarman and the Mummies: Do I even need to give the correct answer?

Androids and Kraals vs the Arachnids. Tougher one. Neither the Kralls or the Arachnids are great but the Androids dominate both, if only for that cliff hanger with the Sarah android.

The Pting vs Solon and Morbius: Hahahahahahahahahahaha……Hahahahahahahahahaha.

Random nationalists who shoot a guy (cause the demons weren't actually the villains !!!!!!!!!!!) vs Chase, Scorby and the Krynoid. Any of those three from Seeds of Doom win any time.

Its fine to do new things if you get the show. Hinchliffe (and Holmes) got it. Chibnall doesn't.
Old 12th December 2018, 05:55 AM
Cult Master

December 12th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1916 - Michael Leeston-Smith (director of The Myth Makers)
1938 - Leslie Schofield (Leroy in The War Games and Calib in The Face of Evil)

1944 - Kenneth Cranham (Tom Cardwell in the Big Finish audio Blood of the Daleks)

1952 - Sarah Douglas (Adventure Games actress - Professor Elizabeth Meadows in Blood of the Cybermen, the Entity in TARDIS and Jones in Shadow of the Vashta Nerada; Big Finish Productions actress - Sibor in Prisoners of Fate, Chancellor Dondequest in the Gallifrey story Reborn and Mary Christmas in the Iris Wildthyme story The Claws of Santa)

1961 - Sarah Sutton (Nyssa [Fourth & Fifth Doctors' companion]; Ann Talbot in Black Orchid, Sarah in the BBV audio Race Memory and Herself in the 50th anniversary spoof The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot; Big Finish actress - Miss Foster in Zagreus, the Lady of the Manor in The Eternal Summer)

Deaths
1992 - Gladys Spencer (High Minister voice in The Ark in Space) aged 98

2001 - Francis Batsoni (extra in The Enemy of the World and The Mind of Evil) aged 89

Episodes
1964 - The Dalek Invasion of Earth, Episode Four ('The End of Tomorrow'): 11.9 million viewers

Releases
1985 - Issue 108 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1989 - The Daleks (Titan Books)

2002 - Issue 325 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)
2009 - Iris Wildthyme: The Panda Book of Horror (Obverse Books)

2012 - 1001 Nights (Big Finish)
2013 - Issue 468 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)
2014 - The Highest Science (Big Finish)
2016 - Erimem: Moments of Passing (Thebes Publishing)

Behind-the-Scenes
1962 - Sydney Newman began his post as Head of Drama at the BBC
1966 - The BBC's Audience Research Department filed the report on the third episode of The Power of the Daleks, ranking at 44% whilst Patrick Troughton's Second Doctor got mixed reviews
2005 - Press release was issued on the interactive game Attack of the Graske
2011 - Recording of the Big Finish audio UNIT Dominion took place

2012 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Eldrad Must Die! took place
2017 - Recording of the Jago & Litefoot story Jago & Litefoot Forever took place

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 12th December 2018, 04:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Series 11 has been full of non-threatening villains/"monsters" and writing which has hurt Jodie's portrayal of the Doctor. She's a great actress who hasn't had a fair chance, she deserves better...

What we need is Jodie on her own squaring off with an old foe. Have confidence in her. Lets see her gravitas. Currently with the way things are Davros (played by any actor but especially Wisher) would dominate her.

She just talks and talks and talks but its all nonsense. Woman Who Feel to Earth gave a false start: when she made that leap across the crane or whatever it was I thought "yes, its an average Story to start with like Castrovalva (sorry guys) she seems to be getting involved in decent life-endangering action to save people". All ruined of course by the subsequent Stories with only It Takes You Away giving Jodie a decent opportunity to work.

But I have little faith in Chibnall. I am not taking the p$%$ here when I say that I and all of the regular contributors to this thread could probably write, say, a decent Dalek Story and make Jodie a better character. It may not be up there with Genesis but it'd certainly be better than practically anything from the last Series: and that's because we UNDERSTAND the character of the Doctor and how the show works.
I have no faith in the BBC. Hopefully Doctor Who will be done and dusted by next series. No matter how much the genuine fans pine, like myself for the return of Dr Who, not the current Parody Who, the BBC will carry on regardless. All this white hating, single parent bashing gets on my tits, and Doctor Who was never about social agenda's. Now it's all about PCness and pushing social change messages into your face. Ms. Whittaker has no real depth or genuine character that even remotely attracts you to her. She's bland and quite honestly, totally aggravating beyond belief. The only actor that sticks out in my mind was Walsh. The rest were just planks of wood with no real feeling or sense of warmth.

Bah! Humbug to Parody Who.
Old 12th December 2018, 06:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 686

Kalid attempts to enter the TARDIS in Time Flight (1982)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p00vbbqs.jpg (26.3 KB, 45 views)
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 12th December 2018, 08:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I have no faith in the BBC. Hopefully Doctor Who will be done and dusted by next series. No matter how much the genuine fans pine, like myself for the return of Dr Who, not the current Parody Who, the BBC will carry on regardless. All this white hating, single parent bashing gets on my tits, and Doctor Who was never about social agenda's. Now it's all about PCness and pushing social change messages into your face. Ms. Whittaker has no real depth or genuine character that even remotely attracts you to her. She's bland and quite honestly, totally aggravating beyond belief. The only actor that sticks out in my mind was Walsh. The rest were just planks of wood with no real feeling or sense of warmth.

Bah! Humbug to Parody Who.
I'm impressed with anyone who managed to last the season. Three minutes of her was all I could take!
Old 13th December 2018, 05:16 AM
Cult Master

December 13th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1893 - Jeanne Doree (extra in Day of the Daleks)
1905 - Norman Atkyns (Guardian in Colony in Space and the Rear Admiral in The Sea Devils)

1915 - Mary Morris (Panna in Kinda)

1939 - Eric Flynn (Leo Ryan in The Wheel in Space)

1942 - Hamish Wilson (Jamie McCrimmon in The Mind Robber)

1946 - Peter Wragg (visual effects designer on The Visitation, Resurrection of the Daleks and episodes 5-8 of The Trial of a Time Lord and an uncredited Fendahleen operator on Image of the Fendahl)

1952 - Christopher Reynolds (Child in The Mind Robber)

1969 - Tony Curran (Vincent van Gogh in Vincent and the Doctor and The Pandorica Opens)

Deaths
2011 - Tony Sibbald (Huckle in Terror of the Zygons) aged 75

Episodes
1975 - The Android Invasion, Part Four: 11.4 million viewers
1980 - State of Decay, Part Four: 5.4 million viewers

Departures
1975 - Ian Marter and John Levene's final appearances as Harry Sullivan and John Benton respectively

Releases
1979 - Issue 10 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1984 - Issue 96 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)
2001 - Issue 312 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)
2006 - Issue 19 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)

2007 - Issue 45 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazine); issue 390 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)
2012 - Issue 455 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)
2014 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 91 (Big Finish Productions)
2016 - Absolute Power and Quicksilver (Big Finish)
2017 - The Wreck of the World (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1975 - Following transmission of the final episode of The Android Invasion, the thirteenth series of the 'classic era' of Doctor Who took a Christmas break, resuming on 3rd January 1976 with the first episode of The Brain of Morbius
1980 - Following transmission of the final episode of State of Decay, the eighteenth series of the 'classic era' of Doctor Who took a Christmas break, resuming on 3rd January 1981 with the first episode of Warriors' Gate; Tom Baker and Lalla Ward were married at Chelsea Register Office

2003 - Recording of Big Finish's Bernice Summerfield story Death and the Daleks took place

2007 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Haunting of Thomas Brewster took place

2010 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Rat Trap took place
2011 - Recording of the Big Finish audio UNIT Dominion took place

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th December 2018, 02:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 687

The Doctor (David Tennant) flees the Cybermen in the 2006 story Rise of the Cybermen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg d10-8t-007.jpg (46.9 KB, 34 views)
Mojo and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!