Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28628Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2019, 05:22 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 724

The Cybermen arrive on Voga in 1975's Revenge of the Cybermen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01bwljv.jpg (81.4 KB, 54 views)
Mojo, Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 21st January 2019, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 725

The corpses of witches rise from the ground in The Witchfinders (2018)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg mud-witches (Large).jpg (68.5 KB, 45 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 22nd January 2019, 09:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 726

Kamelion as seen in the 1984 story Planet of Fire.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kamelion_in_TARDIS.jpg (42.0 KB, 39 views)
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 22nd January 2019, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Loved Trial of a Timelord. I actually thought the Matrix scenes in Episodes 13-14 were better than the ones in Deadly Assassin.

Also watched Time and the Rani and Paradise Towers. Rani has a couple of good cliff hangers, her cool traps, some good monster costumes and of course the Rani... But the problem is literally everything else. Its so boring 95% of the time...

Towers was average. Neither really good or very bad. Just okay: McCoy seems to be finding his feet very quickly though. He wasn't quite the Doctor in Rani but two Stories in and he feels more like the character (and having already seen Rememberance, I know by then he's firmly got a grip on the role).
Old 23rd January 2019, 11:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 727

A Host of The End of the World (2005)

Old 23rd January 2019, 12:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I didn't watch it but apparently when The Chase won at the NTA's last night they announced Bradley Walsh couldn't collect the prize because 'He was in South Africa filming another show'.
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I didn't watch it but apparently when The Chase won at the NTA's last night they announced Bradley Walsh couldn't collect the prize because 'He was in South Africa filming another show'.
Good. He's one of the very few good things about Doctor Who right now. Literally when any of the other three are onscreen I'm begging he turns up quickly.

Interestingly, a lot of people on social media seem to be asking what it would have been like, had he been the Doctor. It'd have been better, that's for sure, although the writing would have stopped him being great. Not like that's his fault though.
Old 23rd January 2019, 02:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

On the topic of writing, take a look at Paradise Towers. Its a brilliant concept. The execution isn't quite as good and as brilliant as you'd like (garbage collecting robots, the ridiculous robot crab that somehow has Bonnie that scared she won't stop screaming) BUT, unlike Series 11, it does have solid cliff hangers and plot points which actually get resolved. Episode 1:

Chief: This is the Great Architect returned to Paradise Towers. Bid him welcome. All Hail the Great Architect, all hail!
Deputy: What shall we do with him now then, Chief?
Chief: Kill him.

I had never seen this Story before and didn't know what was coming. I was laughing throughout the end credits. What about the best part, where the Doctor uses the rulebook against the guards to escape? Such a clever "Doctory" idea (McCoy reminds me of Troughton a lot, I could see him doing that as well). Or when the 2 women that hold Bonnie captive turn cannibal? I mean I knew something was strange about them but I never expected that...

Its about a 6/10 overall but Time and the Rani aside, if this is McCoy at his near weakest Story ranking-wise, then his average Stories are better than at least one other Doctors (Jodie) best.
Old 23rd January 2019, 03:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My McCoy story ranking (For what it's worth)

Remembrance of the Daleks
Ghost Light
Survival
Curse of Fenric
Battlefield
Delta and the Bannermen
The Happiness Patrol
The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
Silver Nemesis
Dragonfire
Time and the Rani
Paradise Towers

Scores range from 9.5/10 to 5/10 for Paradise Towers.

The only season 11 stories i like better than Paradise Towers are Resolution, The Witchfinders and maybe The Woman Who Fell to Earth.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 23rd January 2019, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I've generally heard over the years that Season 24 is pretty bad and the last two are really good. I've half of 24 and 26 (Battlefield and Fenric) and all of 25.

24, Time and the Rani aside, isn't really that bad. I'm halfway through Delta and the Bannerman right now and its alright. Feels like you could have put it in the modern series actually. I've heard Dragonfire is okay aside from a cliff hanger in Episode 1 which is very weird/implausible or whatever people were saying.

Not a single Story from 25 is below average, all are at least good and Rememberance and Silver Nemesis (extended edition) are amazing.

26 has Fenric and Battlefield which are pretty good: The Brig is back (sadly for the last time unless you count the SJA) for a start and I liked the plot of Fenric. Ghost light is apparently very confusing but a masterpiece and Survival is also supposed to be a good finale for the Classic Series.

I think the only reason people hate McCoy is because he was the Doctor when the show was cancelled, leading to unfair blame and because of Season 24 (which is nowhere near as bad as I heard. I know I'm just over the halfway mark but based on that alone I'd say Season 15 and Series 11 are worse because I barely liked anything in them whereas Paradise Towers was decent and Delta and the Bannerman has promise).

Like this? Share it using the links below!