Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2019, 08:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It didn't stop them tuning in for the first few episodes until they decided that a monsterless, lecturing series was a load of bollocks.
lols! Wait a minute, didn't they move it in the first place because Saturday evening was getting too competitive!
Guess Whittaker wasn't the 2nd Coming after all....
Old 27th February 2019, 09:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
lols! Wait a minute, didn't they move it in the first place because Saturday evening was getting too competitive!
Guess Whittaker wasn't the 2nd Coming after all....
I watched every episode and whilst some were okay, one or two quite enjoyable they were also instantly forgettable thanks to having no 'event' episodes or decent enemies.

I can barely recall a thing about episodes such as Rosa and that Tsuranga thing.
Old 28th February 2019, 10:13 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 763

A Silurian from the classic third Doctor story Doctor Who and the Silurians (1970)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CbvTDsKXIAAlrmz (Medium).jpg (54.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 28th February 2019, 08:39 PM
Cult Master

Record store day, Both 2x lp's

"Exclusive to Record Store Day 2019, Demon Music presents a narrated full-cast TV soundtrack adventure starring Tom Baker as the Doctor, pitted against his arch-enemies the Daleks and their wizened creator, Davros. In this thrilling 4 part adventure, first shown on BBC TV in September 1979, the Daleks return to their home planet Skaro, scene of their defeat at the hand of the Doctor (Tom Baker) in Genesis of the Daleks. What - or who - have they returned for? It soon becomes apparent that the ruthless scientist Davros, creator of the Daleks, may not be as dead as the Doctor assumed. When Romana (Lalla Ward) falls into the hands of the Daleks themselves, a life and death struggle begins to divert the Doctor' s adversaries from their self-proclaimed destiny. Presented across 2 x Heavyweight 180g pieces of Red with Blue Splatter Vinyl, this narrated TV soundtrack evokes a classic Doctor Who adventure in all its aural magnificence. From the eerie sonics of Ron Grainer & Delia Derbyshire' s theme tune, and the familiar ' wheezing, groaning' of the TARDIS, through to the bass thrum of the Daleks' headquarters, and their clamorous shriek of "Exterminate! Exterminate!", the story is alive with weird and wonderful sound. Add to that the sparkling dialogue of a script written by Terry Nation and script edited by Douglas Adams, and you have 2 hours of joyful sci-fi entertainment. Linking narration is provided by Lalla Ward (Romana) and the cast includes David Gooderson as Davros, Tim Barlow as Tyssan, Peter Straker as Commander Sharrel and Suzanne Danielle as Agella.Dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum, dummedy-dum..."

and

"Exclusive to Record Store Day 2019, Demon Music presents a narrated full-cast TV soundtrack adventure starring William Hartnell as the Doctor, pitted against a race of deadly female clones and their mechanical slaves.In this classic 4 part ' lost' adventure, first shown on BBC TV in September/October 1965, the TARDIS materialises on a doomed planet. The Doctor (William Hartnell), Steven (Peter Purves) and Vicki (Maureen O' Brien) discover two crashed spaceships, their inhabitants locked in battle with each other. In one corner stand the Drahvins, a race of female cloned warriors; in the other the Rills, hideous inhuman space travellers. The Doctor and his friends become pawns in a deadly game of strategy and deception. Will anyone escape with their lives?Presented across 2 x Heavyweight 180g pieces of Orange with Purple Splatter vinyl, this narrated TV soundtrack evokes a classic Doctor Who adventure in all its aural magnificence. From the eerie sonics of Ron Grainer & Delia Derbyshire' s theme tune, and the familiar ' wheezing, groaning' of the TARDIS, through to the menacing chirrup of the squat, metallic Chumbley robots and the atmospherics of the Rills' spaceship, the story is alive with weird and wonderful sound. Written by William Emms, the story presents a traditional morality tale with a twist. Linking narration is provided by Peter Purves (Steven) and the cast includes Stephanie Bidmead as Maaga. The final episode leads into the prelude to the epic adventure The Daleks' Master Plan (just released on Demon Records). The film recordings of all but one episode of this story are lost from the BBC archives.Dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum, dummedy-dum..."
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st March 2019, 10:05 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 764

The Quarks from the classic 1968 story The Dominators.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quarks.jpg (40.7 KB, 42 views)
Old 1st March 2019, 04:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I watched every episode and whilst some were okay, one or two quite enjoyable they were also instantly forgettable thanks to having no 'event' episodes or decent enemies.

I can barely recall a thing about episodes such as Rosa and that Tsuranga thing.
I remember a lot of the Tsuranga one... Although I wouldn't argue that that's a good thing, because I deeply want to forget it.

At least another Story classed as bad like The Twin Dilemma, is bat$%$% insane and somehow enjoyable. It shouldn't be, but I just find the whole thing hysterical even if its not supposed to be. Unlike Tsuranga, its at least entertaining, for all the wrong reasons but still.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd March 2019, 11:32 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 765

A Tereleptil from the 1882 story The Visitation

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vis3 (Medium).jpg (43.8 KB, 36 views)
Old 3rd March 2019, 10:19 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Isn't it set in 1666? ....

Rewatched Talons .... for me the pinnacle. Sod Genesis . Yes, the rat sucketh greatly ... but so do the Drashigs ... and I don't hear people whining about Carnival as much.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd March 2019, 12:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 766

Sally Sparrow (Carey Mulligan) threatened by a Weeping Angel in Blink (2007)

Mojo, Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 3rd March 2019, 06:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Isn't it set in 1666? ....

Rewatched Talons .... for me the pinnacle. Sod Genesis . Yes, the rat sucketh greatly ... but so do the Drashigs ... and I don't hear people whining about Carnival as much.

Neither the rat nor the Drashigs bother me. Both solid stories. Talons is a stone cold classic. The only thing that bothers me about it is not the Story itself, which is as perfect as Doctor Who can get with very, very few exceptions, but the fact that its the last Hinchcliffe/Holmes double effort. The last true masterpiece until City of Death and the last Story I would consider at the very least above average until The Ribos Operation (which to be fair is a pretty good one, certainly well above average).

When I consider how bad Season 15 is, at least to me as my least favourite from the Classic Series, I often wonder how different it would have been had Hinchcliffe/Holmes decided to stay a bit longer. At least 1 more year...

Like this? Share it using the links below!