Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28655Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2019, 12:02 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 30

Another photo from the 1973 Radio Times special sees the Cybermen still pursuing Ben (Michael Craze) and Polly (Anneke Wills) along the shore line.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg fbb2380df8113c8faf8e2179429595a63e4ccf8f.jpg (78.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 5th May 2019, 12:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Now all I can see is Cybermen at the beach
with buckets and spades

"Is this the human treat known as ice cream, Leader?"
Ahem. Great picture etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 5th May 2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 5th May 2019, 01:14 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Now all I can see is Cybermen at the beach
with buckets and spades

"Is this the human treat known as ice cream, Leader?"
Ahem. Great picture etc.
I was thinking more of a Rollin / Who cross-over.

Also, the lead Cyberman looks like he's flipping them off...
Old 5th May 2019, 01:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

"...now clear off!"

I'll stick with mine ... Black Leader sitting knitting with the windbreak flapping as the other 3 run about (I'm watching Revenge again as I type ahem)
Ah, the fun we have ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 6th May 2019, 06:20 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Planet Of Evil – Part 1
Sarah: How long have we been travelling?
The Doctor: Hmm? What did you say?
Sarah: You promised me we'd be back in London five minutes before leaving Loch Ness.
The Doctor: Did I?
Sarah: Oh, you're trying to wriggle out of it.
The Doctor: Wriggle out of what?
Sarah: Your promise.
The Doctor: Listen, we're on the edge of a time-space vortex and you're talking in minutes.
Sarah: Oh, I see. What's gone wrong this time?
The Doctor: Nothing. Nothing at all. What makes you think something's gone wrong?
Sarah: Because you always get rude when you're trying to cover up a mistake.
The Doctor: Nothing of consequence. Slight overshoot, easily rectified.
Sarah: Come on, where are we?
The Doctor: We've come out of the time vortex at the wrong point, that's all. A few years too late.
Sarah: How many?
The Doctor: Thirty thousand.
(A beeping sound starts up.)
Sarah: That's a distress call.
The Doctor: Someone's in trouble.
Sarah: Where?
The Doctor: Who knows
Planet Of Evil – Part 2
Salamar: You've seen the body?
Sorenson: All my party died the same way. A type of total dehydration.
Salamar: I have the bio-analysis here. All the organs are undamaged. No contusions or evidence of pressure. Complete extraction of bodily fluids from tissue.
Vishinsky: We've no weapon in our technology that could produce such an effect.
Salamar: No, a heat weapon would have produced external injuries. All the indications are that some very rapid form of freeze-drying occurred.
Sorenson: Isn't this irrelevant, Controller?
Salamar: Irrelevant?
Sorenson: I came to Zeta Minor to prove a theory that could save our civilisation. I've been successful. That's all that matters.
Salamar: Seven men have died at the hands of these aliens.
Sorenson: There is more at stake here than seven lives. Our solar system is dependant upon a dying sun. I've discovered a new and inexhaustible source of energy. Rock formations on the fringe of the universe.
Morelli: Controller, the oculoid tracker has located the prisoners.
Salamar: Order out the pursuit party.
Ponti: Right, Controller.
Sorenson: You're wasting time. My mineral samples must be loaded aboard and we must prepare for immediate take off.
Salamar: I am well aware of your high position in the science authorities, Professor, but this is a military expedition with military objectives. The manual says hostile alien forces must be searched out and liquidated. That operation is now in hand.
Planet Of Evil – Part 3
Sarah: Do something.
Sorenson: There is nothing to be done.
Vishinsky: He has disappeared into the vortex between this universe and the next.
Sarah: No, not the Doctor! He can't be dead.
Sorenson: He has ceased to exist. Controller, it is nearly night. We must prepare to launch.
Salamar: I agree. Vishinsky, see the Professor Sorenson's mineral samples are removed.
Sorenson: No. No, you can't leave those canisters behind.
Salamar: Those minerals are endangering the safety of my command. They must be jettisoned.
Sorenson: You arrogant young fool. The whole purpose of your command was to get me and that positron material back to our cosmos.
(Sarah sneaks out, unseen.)
Salamar: So that you can be hailed as the saviour of civilisation? No, Professor. My orders were simply to find your party and get back.
Sorenson: If you abandon that material, you destroy years of my life's work.
Salamar: You are a civilian aboard a military vessel. There will be no further argument.
Planet Of Evil – Part 4
The Doctor: Keep away.
Sorenson: I require an explanation.
The Doctor: Professor Sorenson, you're ill.
Sorenson: What do you mean, ill?
The Doctor: You think you've discovered an oral vaccine to protect you against antiquark penetration, but you're wrong.
Sorenson: It worked.
The Doctor: For a time, but it set up a cycle of chemical change. There's no way back, Sorenson. You've reached the point where your tissues are so monstrously hybridised that the next metabolic change could be the final one.
Sorenson: No.
The Doctor: There isn't much time.
Sorenson: No!
The Doctor: You and I are scientists, Professor. We buy our privilege to experiment at the cost of total responsibility.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th May 2019, 12:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 31

As this years May bank holiday weekend draws to a close, here's a final promo photo of Jo Grant (Katy Manning) and the Doctor (Jon Pertwee) from the 1971, Mayday set story, The Daemons.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (90.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 6th May 2019, 07:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Just re-watched The Silurians. Sheer perfection from start to finish: as a 7 parter, it feels as if it flies by quicker than some 4 parters if I'm honest.

Each and every episode adds something new to the Story as it goes on, which keeps it fresh and makes it easy to watch in one whole sitting. The power losses, the mystery death in the caves, the escaped Silurian, Quinn acting weird, the whole "lets destroy them before they destroy us" dialogue on both sides, the virus outbreak, the overloading reactor and the shock ending. Malcolm Hulke is easily one of the greatest writers Doctor Who has had in its entire period. Between this and The Faceless Ones, The War Games, The Ambassadors of Death, Colony in Space (why oh why is this one hated?), The Sea Devils, The Frontier in Space and Invasion of the Dinosaurs, his resume is top notch. Only the likes of Robert Holmes (do I need to justify why?), Don Houghton (he only wrote Inferno and The Mind of Evil, but Inferno is the best Story ever and Mind of Evil is top 5 Pertwee), Russell T Davies (I'm re-watching the new era and I haven't seen a bad Story he has written) and Steven Moffat (despite his worst work being bad, he has written enough gems to give him a top 5 writers slot) can match him.

The scenes of the outbreak in London are amongst the best the show has ever shown. Pertwee is as good as ever. The Silurians are a genius idea. The special effects when people get killed by the outbreak are shocking (you would never get away with it back when the Show revived in 2005, let alone in this PC Chibnall day and age).

The ending is powerful. You can see the arguments for both sides throughout. It doesn't really have a truly genuine villain either: even the younger, angry Silurian is basically his species version of the Brigadier, doing what he thinks is best for his species, even if he's wrong.

I wish some other Stories flow as well as this one does.
Old 7th May 2019, 06:17 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Pyramids Of Mars – Part 1
(The Tardis is in flight, and the Doctor is just standing still when Sarah enters in an Edwardian dress.)
Sarah: Hey, Doctor. Doctor, look what I've found.
The Doctor: Hello, Vicky.
Sarah: What?
The Doctor: Hmm? Where did you get that dress?
Sarah: I just told you. I found it back there in the wardrobe. Why, don't you like it?
The Doctor: Yes. Yes, I always did. Victoria wore it. She travelled with me for a time.
Sarah: Well, as long as Albert didn't wear it. Oh, come on, Doctor. That's worth a smile, surely? What's the matter? You should be glad to be going home.
The Doctor: The Earth isn't my home, Sarah. I'm a Time Lord.
Sarah: I know you're a Time Lord.
The Doctor: You don't understand the implications. I'm not a human being. I walk in eternity.
Sarah: What's that supposed to mean?
The Doctor: It means I've lived for something like seven hundred and fifty years.
Sarah: Oh, you'll soon be middle aged.
The Doctor: Yes! About time I found something better to do than run around after the Brigadier.
Sarah: Oh, come on. If you're tired of being UNIT's scientific advisor, you can always resign.
Pyramids Of Mars – Part 2
Laurence: Great heavens! This is unbelievable. Totally unbelievable!
The Doctor: You're going to say it transcends all the normal laws of physics.
Laurence: I am, yes. I mean, it does. It's preposterous!
The Doctor: Isn't it. I often think dimensional transcendentalism is preposterous, but it works. Would you like to look around?
Laurence: May I?
The Doctor: Please.
Sarah: Well now we are here, why don't you tune up 1980 and we can, well, leave.
The Doctor: I can't.
Sarah: Ah. Why can't you?
The Doctor: Because if Sutekh isn't stopped, he'll destroy the world.
Sarah: But he didn't, did he. I mean, we know the world didn't end in 1911.
The Doctor: Do we?
Sarah: Yes, of course we do!
The Doctor: All right. If we leave now, let's see what the world will look like in 1980.
(The Doctor works the console.)
Laurence: I say, this is like something by that novelist chap, Mister Wells.
(The Tardis lands, and the doors open to show a bleak, rocky landscape with howling winds and an electrical storm.)
The Doctor: 1980, Sarah, if you want to get off.
(Sarah doesn't, and the doors close.)
Sarah: It's a trick!
The Doctor: No. That's the world as Sutekh would leave it. A desolate planet circling a dead sun.
Sarah: It can't be! I'm from 1980.
The Doctor: Every point in time has its alternative, Sarah. You've looked into alternative time.
Laurence: Fascinating. Do you mean the future can be chosen, Doctor?
The Doctor: Not chosen, shaped. The actions of the present fashion the future.
Laurence: So a man can change the course of history?
The Doctor: To a small extent
Pyramids Of Mars – Part 3
The Doctor: Careful. Walking into a deflection barrier is like walking into a brick wall.
(The Doctor holds a long stick out in front of them.)
Sarah: Painful.
(Boing.)
The Doctor: Ah. There we are. Now all we've got to do is find the door. (He turns left and walks along with the stick against the barrier. The beeps get faster then stop.) Door. (A jackal headed canopic jar is in the leaf litter, humming to itself. The Doctor gets out his sonic screwdriver.) Key.
Sarah: As simple as that?
The Doctor: No, not really.
Sarah: No, I didn't think it could be.
The Doctor: No obvious booby traps. Are you going to help or are you just going to stand there and admire the scenery?
Sarah: Your shoes need repairing. I actually wasn't admiring the scenery. I was waiting for you to tell me what to do.
The Doctor: Just hold the base. I don't want it to fall.
Sarah: Dangerous?
The Doctor: Very dangerous. (Sarah supports the base of the jar as the Doctor cranks up the screwdriver. There is a loud noise and he backs off.) Deactivating a generator loop without the correct key is like repairing a watch with a hammer and chisel. One false move and you'll never know the time again.
Sarah: Any more comforting thoughts?
The Doctor: Yes. Just let me know if it starts to get warm.
Sarah: Don't worry. You'll hear me breaking the sound barrier.
Pyramids Of Mars – Part 4
Sutekh: No, you will not die yet. Identify yourself.
The Doctor: Just destroy me, Sutekh. Nothing else now is left within your power.
Sutekh: Identify yourself. It is within my power to choose the manner of your death. (The eyes glow green again, and the Doctor clutches his head in pain.) I can, if I choose, keep you alive for centuries, racked by the most excruciating pain. Since your interference has condemned me for ever to remain a prisoner in the Eye of Horus, it would be a fitting end. You would make an amusing diversion. (The Doctor is released again.) Identify yourself, plaything of Sutekh.
The Doctor: I'm a traveller.
Sutekh: From where?
The Doctor: Gallifrey, in the constellation of Kasterborus.
Sutekh: Names mean nothing. What is the binary location from galactic zero centre?
The Doctor: Ten zero eleven, zero zero by zero two.
Sutekh: I know the planet. Data retrieval. (A four small panels light up.) So, you are a Time Lord.
The Doctor: I renounced the society of the Time Lords. Now I'm simply a traveller.
Sutekh: In time and space. In time and space?
(He does the green eyes thing.)
The Doctor: (screaming) Yes! Yes!
Sutekh: Ah. Approach closer. What are you called, Time Lord?
The Doctor: Doctor.
Sutekh: I offer you an alliance, Doctor. Serve me truly, and an empire can be yours.
The Doctor: Serve you, Sutekh? Your name is abominated in every civilised world, whether that name be Set, Satan, Sodos
Sutekh: Serve me, Doctor.
The Doctor: Never! Argh!
Sutekh: You pit your puny will against mine? Kneel!
The Doctor: No!
Sutekh: Kneel before the might of Sutekh.

Old 7th May 2019, 11:30 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 32

Jacqueline Hill as Barbara Wright in a promotional photo for the very first Doctor Who story - 1963's An Unearthly Child.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg anunearthlychild (1).jpg (44.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 7th May 2019, 03:07 PM
Cult Master

Early days yet, and nothing is confirmed, but...

Doctor Who Christmas special 'still a possibility for 2019' | Female First

Like this? Share it using the links below!