Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28620Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2012, 11:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Don't understand the happiness of the Ponds' (or better: The Williams') departure, they are among the best companions of the Doc for me, excellent acting and just the charme of them both...

@Demdike: What was your #1 episode of this series (which means the 5 episodes this year, right? )?

And come on people, Dinosaurs on a Space Ship was a fun episode, no more no less, somehow like a kid's birthday, some of you just must have eaten too much candy and now you blame it on the party ...errr... episode
Old 1st October 2012, 01:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
@Demdike: What was your #1 episode of this series (which means the 5 episodes this year, right? )?

And come on people, Dinosaurs on a Space Ship was a fun episode, no more no less, somehow like a kid's birthday, some of you just must have eaten too much candy and now you blame it on the party ...errr... episode
Asylum of the Daleks by a mile.

Dinosaurs was a fun episode, however it was marred with a nasty streak, especially the line by Soloman about breaking in Nefertiti.

Either go with total fun or go sadistic, not both. It left a sour taste in my opinion.
Old 1st October 2012, 01:58 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Asylum of the Daleks by a mile.
OK, that is a good choice, but I see the Dalek episode on the same level as the Angels episode, but too tough to really compare...

Quote:
Dinosaurs was a fun episode, however it was marred with a nasty streak, especially the line by Soloman about breaking in Nefertiti.

Either go with total fun or go sadistic, not both. It left a sour taste in my opinion.
Hmmmh... OK, maybe my language is not good enough to have found that being annoying, lucky me then
Old 1st October 2012, 02:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
Don't understand the happiness of the Ponds' (or better: The Williams') departure, they are among the best companions of the Doc for me, excellent acting and just the charme of them both...

I haven't got a bad word to say about the Ponds however even I was glad for the change, for a program that keeps changing its main cast they were starting to become a little stale.

However the plot hole at the end seems silly, surely The Doctor could go back to a different year and arrange to meet them up again in an alternative location. Shouldn't be too hard to arrange this.
Old 1st October 2012, 02:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
I haven't got a bad word to say about the Ponds however even I was glad for the change, for a program that keeps changing its main cast they were starting to become a little stale.

However the plot hole at the end seems silly, surely The Doctor could go back to a different year and arrange to meet them up again in an alternative location. Shouldn't be too hard to arrange this.
Did they specify an actual year they were taken back to second time around?

I understood it that the time paradoxes caused so many problems in the fabric of time that the Tardis wouldn't be able to locate them a second time.

Thats how i saw it. Moffats scripts are always so full of holes that they often become tough to figure out what he actually means.

Why did the Tardis explode in The Big Bang for a start?
Old 1st October 2012, 02:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

"never travel alone" hmmmmm. The Deadly Assassin anyone??

Regardless, I enjoyed the first 20 minutes, then laughed my arse off at the next 20.

Meh.

Il probably end up hating JLC as well

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st October 2012, 04:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
"never travel alone" hmmmmm. The Deadly Assassin anyone??
Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars, The Next Doctor, The End of Time.

Doctor ten never had a problem with it really.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Planet of the Dead, The Waters of Mars, The Next Doctor, The End of Time.

Doctor ten never had a problem with it really.
I'd actualy say all of the above did have companions. Just not traveling companions.

DVD and BD collection
Old 1st October 2012, 09:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Did they specify an actual year they were taken back to second time around?

I understood it that the time paradoxes caused so many problems in the fabric of time that the Tardis wouldn't be able to locate them a second time.

Thats how i saw it. Moffats scripts are always so full of holes that they often become tough to figure out what he actually means.

Why did the Tardis explode in The Big Bang for a start?
I don't think they did specify an exact year however with River apparently able to get in touch with Amy to complete the book then they must have had some idea or lets face it they would only need to check the graveyard records and you would not need to be a genius to trace them back to at least within in a few years.

All they would need to do then is travel to an earlier time and send a letter to the Ponds to meet at a certain future point maybe a few years after they arrived, after all that same method worked out ok for Marty McFly.

To see this as some big ending where they can never return from is quite honestly a huge plot hole which makes no sense at all and it kind of devalues the rest of the episode.

To be honest I have found this series to be a real disappointment with only the first episode being any where near the quality of previous series.

Hopefully things will improve however I hope when the eventual regeneration occurs again that they get an older darker Doctor to give the program a new lease of life.

Personally I have always wanted to see what Bill Nighy could do with the part.
Old 1st October 2012, 09:49 PM
Cult Master

Slept thru 'The Time of Angels'

Think I was drunk!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!