Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28506Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:19 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Thanks guys for the tips, I'll make a checklist of them ;-)

It would not be fair for me to name a favourite Doctor, as I have not seen anything (clips excluded!) of 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8...

As to the frustration of not putting the old Docs into the anniversary, I cannot really follow the complaint, how should they have done it other than with the help of CGI? I thought that was an excellent nod to all of them alive or dead. There is just no logic in putting in the aged actors, it would be a time paradox that even Moffat may not be able to cope with
PaulD likes this.
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:39 AM
Cult Master

Favourite Doctors?

Well, from Classic Who, each has good and bad points:

1) William Hartnell was the original Doctor, and as such many of the now accepted mythos is atributed to him; He was the Doctor when the Daleks and Cybermen were introduced; but because he was an old man in real life, he regularly forgot his lines, and no one was really sure about the character of the Doctor in the early days - more often than not, it was his companions who solved problems

2) Unfortunately most of the Patrick Troughton adventures are lost to the public because during the 60's and 70's the BBC wiped many TV shows (not just Dr Who, but also things like The Beatles on Top Of The Pops). The Troughton era was known as 'The Monsetr Yeras' and they introduced (amonst others) The Ice Warriors and the Yeti. But because Troughton had a history of playing comedy roles, there is a lot of humour in these stories

3) Jon Pertwee brought action to the series because he was an action-man type of actor. It was also the time that the Master was introduced, but because the Doctor was exiled on earth during the first part of this era, many of his stories became 'samey'

4) Tom Baker is most commonly associated with the role. During his first years, the stories were fast and scary - almost gothic in origin. This incarnation also had the most gorgeous companion ever - Lalla Ward (Romana version 2). But by the later series, it has become an accepted notion that he "believed he was the Doctor", and took little (or no) notice of directors and writers, leading to him sending up the show a bit too much. Also, he was the Doctor who used K-9 as a companion, which (more than anything) destroyed the show for me

5) The Peter Davison stories were quite often more intelligent and thought provoking than they had been in previous years, but he was too young to lay the role convincingly

6) Colin Baker wasn't given a fair chance. Some of his stories were very enjoyable, but right from the start he was give an uphill battle

7) Sylvester McCoy tried to bring back some of the mystery and magic to the series, but again but again the stories suffered

8) The guy from the Americanised TV movie version was just wrong. This was not 'Doctor Who' - this was a cross between 'The X-Files' and 'Star Trek' - i.e science fiction for an American audience during the 1990's!!!!
Roughale, PaulD and Criterion7 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Nice wrap-up suziginajackson thanks for that! I think since Tom Baker was the best known actor, he was the one chosen for the repeats on that dodgy cable TV station where I first got to see some episodes (as I found out by now, mostly from his first two years...), it was good fun and I cannot remember if the station was taken down, my time table changed, but I lost touch for many years - until a German TV station started the Eccleston episodes, I was hooked immediately, but appaled by the weak dub, so I started collecting the DVDs (and now BDs) and that was a good decision, looking at the weird release policy over here...
Old 22nd May 2013, 09:20 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughale View Post
As to the frustration of not putting the old Docs into the anniversary, I cannot really follow the complaint, how should they have done it other than with the help of CGI? I thought that was an excellent nod to all of them alive or dead. There is just no logic in putting in the aged actors, it would be a time paradox that even Moffat may not be able to cope with

I totally agree. It looked absurd when the Tenth Doctor met the Fifth Doctor in the Children in Need Time Crash special (which I'm assuming is canon due to what happenes before and after it) - the excuse they gave for the fifth Doctor looking old was just laughable.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:28 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I totally agree. It looked absurd when the Tenth Doctor met the Fifth Doctor in the Children in Need Time Crash special (which I'm assuming is canon due to what happenes before and after it) - the excuse they gave for the fifth Doctor looking old was just laughable.
I liked Time Crash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi
8) The guy from the Americanised TV movie version was just wrong. This was not 'Doctor Who' - this was a cross between 'The X-Files' and 'Star Trek' - i.e science fiction for an American audience during the 1990's!!!!
Go and listen to some Big Finish audio dramas and read the "Izzy" arc of the DWM comic strip. The former much more than the latter, McGann is outstanding in the role. Try Max Warp and Daimos+Ressurection of Mars.

DVD and BD collection
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:31 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I liked Time Crash!

To be honest Hawky, so did I. I thought it was really sweet and heartwarming having Tenant's Doctor so in awe of one of his previous selves (kinda meta too since I understand Tenant grew up watching Davidson's Doctor). Just the whole "oh something's gone wrong with the time stream - that's why you're fat and balding" (or whatever it was) thing was so stupid and undercut the moment for me.

God, I really want to get back into watching Doctor Who but I have so much work to do!
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Finally ordered The Mutants.
Hawkmonger and Gothmogxx like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:29 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Haha, I managed to watch Time Crash on YouTube, I liked it, I generally love the charity things, Red Nose day and Comic Relief - I wish we had something comparable over here (we do have the Red Nose Day here, but apart from the same reason and the same name, nothing even close to comparable here...).

And I have to be grateful to the inventor of lunch break, because I found this:

Excellent! (How do we get these Doctors into the canon? )
Old 22nd May 2013, 11:29 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I always loved that one! A very underrated story.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
I was surprised how much i enjoyed this again on dvd.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!