Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2013, 10:57 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Not to be a pain but is there any way of knowing which classic Who DVDs have been reissued? Is it just the case that any DVD labelled as 'Special Edition' is a re-release with extra features etc?

Also watched The Five Doctors yesterday. Didn't enjoy it as much as when I first saw it, it felt a bit disjointed and box-ticking at times (Dalek? Check! Cybermen? Check! K-9? Check!) because of the anniversary. I loved the ending though with the Doctor rejecting the Timelords and his promotion as president, in favour of going on the run again. It also made me realise I haven't seen any of the second Doctor's stories so have just ordered The Tomb of the Cybermen off eBay.
Old 5th July 2013, 11:41 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
Not to be a pain but is there any way of knowing which classic Who DVDs have been reissued? Is it just the case that any DVD labelled as 'Special Edition' is a re-release with extra features etc?

Also watched The Five Doctors yesterday. Didn't enjoy it as much as when I first saw it, it felt a bit disjointed and box-ticking at times (Dalek? Check! Cybermen? Check! K-9? Check!) because of the anniversary. I loved the ending though with the Doctor rejecting the Timelords and his promotion as president, in favour of going on the run again. It also made me realise I haven't seen any of the second Doctor's stories so have just ordered The Tomb of the Cybermen off eBay.
Yeah if its called a Special edition then its a reissue, all the ones in the Revisitations box sets are also reissue special editions.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
Yeah if its called a Special edition then its a reissue, all the ones in the Revisitations box sets are also reissue special editions.
Cheers Dem!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th July 2013, 12:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Great choice with The Tomb of the Cybermen Paul. It's one of the best episodes in the shows history!
Old 5th July 2013, 03:12 PM
Cult Addict

The Five Doctors is the poorer younger brother to The Three Doctors. The first and still the best anniversery special. The fan winks are so subtle you constantly over look them (2's Recorder etc) and it's so well acted, you actualy have to question just what kind of a relationship Troughten and Pertwee shared!

DVD and BD collection
Old 5th July 2013, 03:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
The Five Doctors is the poorer younger brother to The Three Doctors. The first and still the best anniversery special. The fan winks are so subtle you constantly over look them (2's Recorder etc) and it's so well acted, you actualy have to question just what kind of a relationship Troughten and Pertwee shared!
Quite agree (apparently, while Troughton and Pertwee were great friends in later years, they did not get on well when filming this special, with Pertwee wanting them to share as less scenes as possible to not get upstaged!). Though I really do like the Five Doctor's too. And it's worth a watch, if only just to see this: One of the best moments in the shows history
Old 5th July 2013, 03:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I'd go with The Five Doctors personally. Once Omega is discovered and all the action centres around him, the battle of wits for instance it all becomes a bit tedious.

The Five Doctors does tries to cram too much in at once, just like you should at a huge party. You have fun watching but realize its all a bit much at the end. For my money Anthony Ainley's Master in this one is better than Omega as well.
Old 5th July 2013, 03:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Great choice with The Tomb of the Cybermen Paul. It's one of the best episodes in the shows history!
It always seems like i go against everything Gothmog says but i don't really.

I've never thought Tomb of the Cybermen that great.

It has some great scenes - the Cybermen emerging, the Doctor chatting to Victoria, but as a whole i don't find it that satisfying. Possibly because it takes two of the four episodes before we see a Cyberman.

I loved the Target book as a kid and got caught up in the whole great lost Tomb of the Cybermen stories. Then when it turned up on vhs we discovered it wasn't anywhere near as good as the lost story hype suggested.

To those who weren't around at the time, it was like expecting to see Superman and all we got were the kids from Kick Ass.

Edit - I should add as far as Cybermen stories go then only The Invasion and Earthshock are its betters imo.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 5th July 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 5th July 2013, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
It always seems like i go against everything Gothmog says but i don't really.

I've never thought Tomb of the Cybermen that great.

It has some great scenes - the Cybermen emerging, the Doctor chatting to Victoria, but as a whole i don't find it that satisfying. Possibly because it takes two of the four episodes before we see a Cyberman.

I loved the Target book as a kid and got caught up in the whole great lost Tomb of the Cybermen stories. Then when it turned up on vhs we discovered it wasn't anywhere near as good as the lost story hype suggested.

To those who weren't around at the time, it was like expecting to see Superman and all we got were the kids from Kick Ass.
Ah the target novel! I enjoyed that too! I got it with the DVD and enjoyed it as much as the actual episode...

The only thing I find hilariously bad about Tomb is... This. Go to 03:47. (sigh) Even by 60's standards thats pretty poor!

Old 5th July 2013, 04:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:

Edit - I should add as far as Cybermen stories go then only The Invasion and Earthshock are its betters imo.

I love Earthshock. Probably the best Old Who episode I've seen to date.

Like this? Share it using the links below!