Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28651Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2018, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I've just picked up one of the signed copies of the I was a Doctor Who Monster VHS, the only signature I recognise is Peter Hawkins so I was wondering if anyone knows who the other 5 belong to?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Monster.jpg (89.4 KB, 5 views)
Old 28th April 2018, 03:21 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
I've just picked up one of the signed copies of the I was a Doctor Who Monster VHS, the only signature I recognise is Peter Hawkins so I was wondering if anyone knows who the other 5 belong to?
Top left - Gregory de Polnay - Played D84 in 'The Robots Of Death'
Middle left - David Banks - Played the Cyber-Leader in Earthshock, The Five Doctors, Attack of the Cybermen and Silver Nemesis. ALso appeared in the stage play 'The Ultimate Adventure' and wrote the Virgin New Adventure novel 'Iceberg' (featuring the Cybermen) and the part non-fiction, part speculative 'Doctor Who: Cybermen'
Bottom Left - no idea
Top right - Keith Barnfather - 'I Was A Doctor Who Monster' video director and producer
Middle right - Martin Cort - Played three parts in 'The Keys Of Marinus' (a Voord, a Warrior and Aydan) and Locke in The Seeds of Death

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 28th April 2018, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Okay first off apologies for lack of updates, I would've done it last Saturday but as I got jumped by a bunch of chavs outside my local nightclub I've been kind of preoccupied on that, although I have continued watching the show.

So The Mind Robber. I think this is the most ambitious episode yet. It certainly has the best cliff hanger I've ever seen in the show, that being the end of episode 1. I mean I've seen it already so I know what happens but going into this for the first time and seeing the TARDIS crew in this weird world, not having a clue whats going on, only helps to sell the terror in the last 30 seconds or so. The TARDIS breaks apart, the Doctor is just floating around and Zoe is screaming her head off (and credit to Wendy she sounds very convincing here, especially as this is a character who doesn't really scream). The other 4 episodes are all incredibly interesting with some nice set-pieces on show and I like the idea of The Land of Fiction.

I appreciate the crews ability to think on their feet. Fraser Hines gets chickenpox? No bother just replace him quickly with another actor onscreen then write in his return and show how it happens. Episode 1 wasn't even originally planned either, it was a 4 parter but they needed to have it. I think as good as Episodes 2-5 are, not having 1 would have hurt the story.

But in all seriousness all 5 are amazing. A genuine 10 out of 10 without any long thought. No gripes on my end. And we're not even at the other masterpieces of this season...

The Invasion. Now I have to confess. I kind of broke the rules here but not intentionally. My friend likes classic Who and wanted to watch one. Now I wanted to show him one I know he'd like and by this point I hadn't watched Mind Robber, which I hadn't seen in a few years, so I wasn't sure about showing him one which I remembered was a bit different. So after arguing internally with myself I decided: The Invasion is a masterpiece. If you do this you can argue he was just watching it at his house with you present, then you can watch Mind Robber and then re-watch The Invasion as part of your official marathon. In other word you get to watch one of the all time greats twice.

So I did that and I found it very easy to sit through a second time after just barely watching it at my friends as its so good.

First off sadly Episodes 1 and 4 don't exist. But the animation for the DVD does a really good job, but to see the real images, directed with all the skillful direction that Douglas Camfiled brings to the rest of this story (and all his stories, of course) would raise the story even higher, I’m sure.

Oh the positives here outshine the negatives. But this story is Tobias Vaughn. Vaughn may be the best human villain on the show so far, with his only rival being Salamander. Its certainly much better a performance than for Mavic Chen, which whilst well done on Kevin Stoney's part, was written a bit worse (he was stupid enough to believe the Daleks would work with him long term). Vaughn however assumes the Cybermen will betray him so decides he wants to draw first blood before they do. It makes him believeable. You can believe that this man means business and his gang of thugs are certainly a believable part of this world "packeeeeeeer". The other guest characters are good fun too, Isabel bonding with Zoe is efficiently realised and really helps with the story.

Of course UNIT are now here and the Brig is now actually a Brig. You can see why the Pertwee era takes influence from this Story as its done so well. The Cybermen come across as really menacing and are FAR better here than in Wheel in Space.

My ONE criticism is that about halfway through Episode 8 things kind of grind to a standstill. But aside from that I think its near perfection. I'd give this one a 9 out of 10. If they cut it down to 7 episodes I think it'd have been absolute perfection.

The Krotons. Oh god this is average. After Mind Robber and The Invasion you get this.

I re-hash my comments about The Dominators. "Dulkis as a planet is a complete joke and so is their civilisation. The whole of Dulkis deserves to be invaded and quite frankly their entire population wiped out. Harsh but their attitude and weak stance on ANYTHING that threatens them is laughable." That entire quote also applies to the Gonds. They are such a pathetic species rolling over for their masters. If the Doctor hasn't showed up they'd have been completely subservient for life.

I just find it so boring. I mean the Krotons look and sound nice but like Wheel in Space I've got little to say. Philip Madoc is a good actor of course and the regulars are fine as per. Moving on.

The Seeds of Death was fun. I don't think it was quite as good as The Invasion or Mind Robber but it was a nicely made story. I liked the Ice Warriors plan for instance, it was an inventive way of taking over Earth. I do question their vision though, on two occasions. One where Phipps is hiding from a warrior. How did he not see him?! That wasn’t bad peripheral vision – it was bad vision full-stop! I’m sorry, but that was badly directed. The high-angle shot looked great, but he should have seen him hiding there. The second very annoying example is how the Ice Warrior, who by this point control the moonbase, fail to see a massive rocket park practically right next to them with the TARDIS crew on board..

I hate the idea that the only way to the moon was by T-mat and if the T-mat wasn't working... Well without the rocket they are kind of screwed right?... The low points are outweighed by the high points. There are great scenes of the Ice Warrior stalking through the park. And interested shots on the moon base, characters going bit mad, plenty to enjoy... Fewsham is the best guest character of the lot and I liked him turning good by the end. 8 out of 10.

Oh god... Ok so i'm at a historic moment for myself. When I finish Episode 6 of The Space Pirates i'll have watched every 60's episode of Doctor Who. The problem? ... Its The Space Pirates. I've been putting this off for a few days because I've heard its among the very worst. One Episode in and its not off to a good start either, I was struggling to keep up with what was going on. That and the regulars don't turn up until way over the halfway mark: that would be fine except I do not care about a single one of these other people

Oh I just want to get to The War Games. It may be 10 Episodes long but I'm sure I sat through it in a single sitting when I first watched it in 2015 so that's a good sign.
Old 28th April 2018, 03:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 464

The Doctor captured by the Vanir aboard Terminus (1983)

Old 28th April 2018, 04:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Top left - Gregory de Polnay - Played D84 in 'The Robots Of Death'
Middle left - David Banks - Played the Cyber-Leader in Earthshock, The Five Doctors, Attack of the Cybermen and Silver Nemesis. ALso appeared in the stage play 'The Ultimate Adventure' and wrote the Virgin New Adventure novel 'Iceberg' (featuring the Cybermen) and the part non-fiction, part speculative 'Doctor Who: Cybermen'
Bottom Left - no idea
Top right - Keith Barnfather - 'I Was A Doctor Who Monster' video director and producer
Middle right - Martin Cort - Played three parts in 'The Keys Of Marinus' (a Voord, a Warrior and Aydan) and Locke in The Seeds of Death
Thanks Susan!
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 28th April 2018, 04:24 PM
Active Cultist

hope u r ok now goth
Gothmogxx likes this.
Old 28th April 2018, 07:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Seconded. Lawdy!

I'll be rewatching The War Games shortly myself .....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th April 2018, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeTheCylon View Post
Liking the new avatar btw ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th April 2018, 11:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by will graham View Post
hope u r ok now goth
Thanks Will i'm much better.
Old 29th April 2018, 04:35 AM
Cult Master

April 29th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1917 - William Squire (Shadow in The Armageddon Factor)

1926 - Leonard Fenton (Casmus in the webcast Death Comes to Time)
1938 - Ann Bell (Big Finish Productions actress - Sylvia O'Donnell in A Thousand Tiny Wings, Gesima Gazalet in Night of the Stormcrow and Lisa Burrows in The Diary of River Song story Five Twenty-Nine)
1949 - Anita Dobson (Eileen Klint in the Big Finish audio Blood of the Daleks)

Episodes
1967 - The Faceless Ones, Episode Four: 6.9 million viewers
1972 - The Mutants, Episode Four: 7.5 million viewers
2006 - School Reunion: 8.3 million viewers
2017 - Thin Ice: 5.61 million viewers

Documentaries
2006 - Doctor Who Confidential: Friends Reunited

Releases
2004 - Issue 343 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini Comics UK)

2010 - Issue 164 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines); Genesis of the Daleks (BBC Audio - released as a freebie with The Telegraph); The Coldest War, Claws of the Macra, Judoon Monsoon and Empire of the Wolf (BBC Books); Eleventh Doctor Regeneration Sticker Guide (Penguin Character Books); issue 421 of Doctor Who Magazine (Panini)

2013 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 15 (Big Finish)
2016 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 167 (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
2001 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The One Doctor took place
2005 - Recording of the Big Finish audio Other Lives took place
2009 - Recording of Big Finish's audio adaptation of the unmade TV story Leviathan took place
2010 - Recording of the Big Finish audio A Death in the Family took place

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!