Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2018, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

"... A tear Gothmog? Where there's life there's..."

Emotional end to a fantastic era.

Planet of the Spiders is a good end for Pertwee. Not perfect, this isn't Inferno or Silurians, and your right Dem it is too long.

I personally think that it started out really well, before you got to Metabelius III, and ended really well right around Episode 5 where the Great One dominates the Doctor (more on that in a bit). The problem is the stuff in the middle. We've seen it all before. Two characters arguing about attacking or waiting (Planet of the Daleks and Monster of Peladon stand out, whether its Thals and explosives or Miners impatient to attack). Its been done and done better than this. I couldn't care less about these people.

However back on Earth there are a lot of people I do care about. And its thanks to them that this Story and this era are so strong.

Benton volunteers to put himself at the crystals mercy instead of the Doctor because "I'm more expendable". What a trooper.

Yates. He was not as good as Benton but I feel like he re-deems himself here. Trouble is on the way and he has to go get help (I do wish he shared a scene with the Brig somehow after pulling a gun on him last time).

The Brig has terrible aim, as displayed when he can't hit Lupton. But the scenes where his eyes are nearly popping out his head due to a stripper, along with his final scenes with Pertwee, are good in their own ways.

Sarah Jane is now firmly the next companion. She already was but there is no doubt as to how good a character she is by this point.

And that letter from Jo! A nice touch to know she's doing well. Sarah and Liz are good, but Liz was there for a single Season whilst Sarah is more at home with the next Doctor. Jo was the companion for this Doctor, so good to hear from her.

But what about the other characters? Tommy is amazing and his development is done well, with how the crystal helps him. The other people in the house are all decent actors too...

One of the more controversial parts of this Story is the entire last half of Episode 2. The chase. And you know what? I loved every second of it. Its like a "greatest hits compilation". Right from the start its like "Oh yes Bessie and the Who-mobile in one scene, chasing each other!" They basically thanked Pertwee for all he'd done for the show, giving us the most consistently good era, and gave him an almost entirely long episode chase sequence. To that I say GOOD! It's a nice addition that I accept adds nothing to the story but I don't care because it's simply fun to watch the Doctor enjoying himself. At least it's in character for the third Doctor. I couldn't see any of the others doing this, besides perhaps Tennant and Capaldi.

Now people like to talk about how Sutekh dominates the Fourth Doctor in Pyramids of Mars. Its great but so is this, when the Great One makes the Doctor walk in a circle. Why? Because as the Great One notes, this Doctor isn't used to fear. He is usually the one to dominate any situation he's in, either physically or verbally. So to see him powerless like this is very uncomfortable.

Metabelius III looks terrible. I wish I could be nice but it looks fake, even for back then. There are Stories from the 60's that have more convincing worlds than this one. And again the villagers were same old same old, done better in other Stories.

Finally the regeneration. He's "home". UNIT is now his home. Having longed to get away from the planet he's finally accepted that this is where this Doctor belongs. He collapses onto the UNIT HQ floor and leaves us, the Brig and Sarah (characters he's spent time a lot of time with. Unlike say Tom Baker falling from a satellite surrounded by people he doesn't know) with a few last sad words. Now, who's that strange man on the floor with the curly hair?

My only real regret is that Roger Delgardo wasn't alive for this. Its a good Story with the best regeneration yet. But what might have been...

Pertwee done and dusted. And it took less than a month I believe.

His era revived the show and ensured it continued to this day. UNIT were a great concept (thankfully they still have a couple more hurrahs to go) and they, spearheaded by the Brig, helped back up a great Doctor. I'll miss him more than I missed Hartnell or Troughton. But as I said a while back when I finished the Troughton era, its time for change. Tom Baker... And Philip Hinchcliffe.

Or at least the latter when I get through the Barry Letts produced Jon Pertwee Story Robot, which is only missing Pertwee himself!
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

His return from the 'blue planet' is one of my highlights

I think the budgets were always tighter towards the end of the series weren't they?
trebor8273 and Gothmogxx like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd June 2018, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
His return from the 'blue planet' is one of my highlights
It looked like a much better planet in The Green Death. I wish they stuck with that look.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 4th June 2018, 06:33 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
Okay lets just get it out the way. The Invasion of the Dinosaurs has one clear flaw, the dinosaurs. I appreciate this was the 70's and I respect their ambition but it just doesn't work. Some non-scary ones, like the Stegosaurus and the Triceratops, aren't as bad but the Pterodactyl, Brontosaurus and the T-Rex... Oh dear. They aren't scary and they use the T-Rex THREE times as a cliff-hanger!
Whenever anyone mentioned 'Invasion Of The Dinosaurs', there is always one thing that immediately springs to mind for me:

"KKLAK"!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
The scene with the Doctor getting chased in Episode 5 was pointless as well, should have been cut
I think I'm correct in saying that this was done as a 'thank you' and a treat for Jon Pertwee. Because it was known that his time as The Doctor was ending, and because he loved any kind of motorised vehicle, writer Malcolm Hulke came up with an extended chase sequence featuring Bessie, a gyrocopter, a speedboat, a hovercraft and the Whomobile as well as a comedy copper and tramp. All of this was filmed in a single day, and while it is gratuitous, Pertwee enjoyed himself immensely!

**Edit - Actually, I might be getting confused with the chase scenes during 'Planet Of The Spiders'
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 4th June 2018 at 07:50 AM.
Old 4th June 2018, 06:56 AM
Cult Master

June 4th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1914 - Edward Evans (Ted Moss in Image of the Fendahl)
1925 - Peter R. Newman (writer of The Sensorites)

1927 - Geoffrey Palmer (Masters in Doctor Who and the Silurians, Administrator in The Mutants and Captain Hardaker in Voyage of the Damned; father of Doctor Who director Charles Palmer)
1930 - Lisa Daniely (Madeleine Issigri in The Space Pirates)
1933 - Bill Wiesener (White Robot in The Mind Robber); Ric Felgate (American Journalist in The War Machines, Brent in The Seeds of Death and Charles van Lyden & Alien Ambassador in The Ambassadors of Death)
1939 - John Joyce (Garvin in The Dæmons)
1951 - David Yip (Veldan in Destiny of the Daleks; Big Finish Productions actor - Curly in The Girl Who Never Was and Hector in the Gallifrey story Evolution)
1960 - Bradley Walsh (Graham [Thirteenth Doctor's companion in the upcoming series of Doctor Who]; the Pied Piper in the Sarah Jane Adventures story The Day of the Clown)

1964 - Ralph Salmins (Lorells member in Delta and the Bannermen); Sean Pertwee (Himself in the 50th anniversary spoof The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot; son of Third Doctor actor Jon Pertwee)
1969 - Julie Gardner (executive producer [2005-2010])

1980 - Philip Olivier (Hex Schofield [Seventh Doctor's companion in the Big Finish audios])

Deaths
2011 - Donald Hewlett (Sir George Hardiman in The Claws of Axos; father of Torchwood guest actress Siobhân Hewlett) aged 90

Episodes
1966 - The Savages, Episode Two: 5.6 million viewers
2005 - Boom Town: 7.68 million viewers
2011 - A Good Man Goes to War: 7.57 million viewers

Documentaries
2005 - Doctor Who Confidential: Unsung Heroes and Violent Deaths
2011 - Doctor Who Confidential: The Born Identity

Introductions
2011 - First appearance of the Paternoster Gang, consisting of Silurian detective Madame Vastra, her wife and maid Jenny Flint and Sontaran warrior Strax

Releases
1998 - Issue 266 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

2001 - The Year of Intelligent Tigers and Superior Beings (BBC Books)
2007 - Robot (DVD - region 2)
2009 - Torchwood: The Sin Eaters (BBC Audio); issue 118 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)
2013 - Harvest of Time (BBC Books); issue 322 of Doctor Who Adventures (Immediate Media Co.)
2015 - The Scientific Secrets of Doctor Who (BBC Books); The Cloisters of Terror (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1981 - Scripts for Mawdryn Undead were commissioned
2009 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Pyralis Effect took place
2011 - Following transmission of A Good Man Goes to War, the sixth series of the 'revived era" of Doctor Who took a temporary break, resuming on 27th August with Let's Kill Hitler

Old 4th June 2018, 12:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 501

Part of the Cyberman guarding the Pandorica in 2010's The Pandorica Opens.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1434201_1416155620186_full.jpg (75.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 4th June 2018, 05:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Part of the Cyberman guarding the Pandorica in 2010's The Pandorica Opens.

As mad and confusing as The Pandorica Opens is I still love it. Amy is still by far the best companion modern Who has had.
iank likes this.
Old 5th June 2018, 07:57 AM
Cult Master

June 5th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1908 - Bill Fraser (General Grugger in Meglos and Bill Pollock in the one-off Doctor Who spin-off K9 & Company)
1917 - Anne Tirard (Locusta in The Romans and the Seeker in The Ribos Operation)
1919 - Laurence Payne (Johnny Ringo in The Gunfighters, Morix in The Leisure Hive and Dastari in The Two Doctors)
1921 - Bill Sellars (director of The Gunfighters)

1923 - William Symon (film editor of Spearhead from Space, Colony in Space, The Time Warrior and The Monster of Peladon)
1957 - Steven Pacey (Trevor in the Big Finish audio The Zygon Who Fell to Earth)
1968 - Gareth Roberts (writer of The Shakespeare Code, The Unicorn and the Wasp, Planet of the Dead, The Lodger, Closing Time and The Caretaker, the interactive game Attack of the Graske, regular writer of The Sarah Jane Adventures and several Doctor Who-related books, audio adventures and comic strips)

1980 - Andrew Swann (sound designer on Big Finish Productions' Bernice Summerfield stories The Mirror Effect and The Bellotron Incident)

Obituaries
1988 - Michael Barrington (Sir Colin Thackeray in The Seeds of Doom) aged 63
2008 - Bruce Purchase (Captain in The Pirate Planet) aged 69
2012 - Caroline John (Liz Shaw [Third Doctor companion]; Madame Salvadori in the Big Finish audio Dust Breeding) aged 71

Episodes
1965 - The Chase, Episode Three ('Flight Through Eternity'): 9.0 million viewers
1971 - The Daemons, Episode Three: 8.1 million viewers
2010 - Vincent and the Doctor: 6.76 million viewers

Documentaries
2010 - Doctor Who Confidential: A Brush with Genius

Introductions
1965 - Peter Purves' Doctor Who debut, though not as Steven Taylor

Releases
1980 - Issue 35 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1989 - The Daleks and omnibus editions of The Time Warrior and The Ark in Space (VHS)

1995 - The Power of Kroll and The Armageddon Factor (VHS)
1997 - Issue 253 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)
2000 - The Banquo Legacy and Heart of TARDIS (BBC Books); The Ghosts of N-Space (BBC Audio)
2008 - Mad Martha (online comic strip); issue 67 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines)

Behind-the-Scenes
2008 - Recording of Big Finish's audio adaptation of the stage show The Ultimate Adventure took place

2017 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Middle took place

Old 5th June 2018, 09:00 AM
Cult Acolyte

VERY interesting Radio Skaro podcast with missing episode man Paul Vanezis, in which he confirms what many fans have long suspected - that there ARE private collectors with missing episodes of Who, says he knows it for a fact, that there is a chance they may eventually give them back but that you can't pressure such people. However the fact that this is coming from Vanezis, someone not exactly known for being so informative, has already set speculation wagging that maybe some already have. Either way it's quite big news.
JAMIOUSE, Mojo, trebor8273 and 1 others like this.
Old 5th June 2018, 12:12 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 502

The Brains of Morphoton from the 1964 story The Keys of Marinus.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Keys-of-Marinus-3.jpg (26.6 KB, 0 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!