Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2018, 02:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
8.2m viewers is good in today's standards but what about the other viewers who will watch it later on catch up etc they can't figure that one out, they might have been watching another channel or out. People always say well its not good considering so and so got 22m viewers in 1985 but that's because we had very little channels in them days now we literally have hundreds, there is no need to be sat in watching now when its on because there so many ways to watch it if you miss it , online, recorded , catch up or when its repeated probably during the week etc, then it was simple if you didn't watch or record it you missed it .
The official seven day figures are what the charts go off when compiled after, well seven days obviously. Those include the viewers you mention. There's also a 28 day figure as well, but the main one with BARB are the seven day viewers.

The overnight figure is simply that - those who watched it on transmission or a certain number of hours after and are becoming more irrelevant due to what you say, however a strong overnight figure bodes very well for it's final total.

Incidentally the audience share was 40.1 of the total viewing audience which is excellent. Most of the last series achieved a very low 20%.
Old 8th October 2018, 03:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

I have to say I wasn't blown away by it to be honest.Jodie's performance got better towards the end, when we didn't have the manic 'just generated' stuff. Having said that, this is always the case with a new Doctor, so I'll reserve judgement until we are three or four episodes in. The story itself was merely ok, but, apart from the majestic Spearhead From Space ( and, it has to be said The Eleventh Hour ) all new Doctor first stories have all been pretty average.

It was lushly photographed and I have to agree the incidental music is miles better.

The 'coming soon' trailer with a list of upcoming actors in the series was a bit desperate. I'm more interested in the quality of the stories / aliens etc than a list of actors and celebrities. RTD was a master of the ' coming soon' trailers.

Anyway, I'll keep watching...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th October 2018, 04:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

I just watched my HD pvr recording, well... I really did like the fact that the 'baddie' was a quite nasty B%@tard who does actually kill, and Jodie was great (especially near the end) but... no young companion? and as a personal view I thought the scenes were filmed in a murky dark style not showing off Sheffield at all, the trails looked much more vibrant IMHO, but as a first intro story it was easily good enough to keep me watching as long as not every episode has a teary weepy scene to get the kiddies boo-hooing to mum & dad on the sofa, when as a nipper watching Dr Who all I wanted was to be scared by the monster not crying my eyes out cause a nice character snuffs it but that's just me.
Demdike@Cult Labs and Rob4 like this.
Old 8th October 2018, 08:57 PM
Cult Master

Barbie reborn as The Doctor

She's certainly a bit busty!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th October 2018, 08:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

I loved Doctor Who on Sunday.

I watched The Ambassadors of DEATH!
Old 8th October 2018, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 623

The Predator alien known as Tim Shaw from The Woman Who Fell to Earth (2018)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16498012-low_res-doctor-who-series-11 (Large).JPG (76.0 KB, 42 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 9th October 2018, 04:57 AM
Cult Master

October 9th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1912 - Seymour Green (Hargreaves in The Seeds of Doom and the Chamberlain in The Twin Dilemma)

1936 - Brian Blessed (King Yrcarnos in The Trial of a Time Lord: Mindwarp)

1968 - James Dreyfus (John Harrison in the Sarah Jane Adventures story The Man Who Never Was; Big Finish Productions actor - the Master in the Big Finish audio The Destination Wars and the Most Exalted High Persian in the Tales from New Earth story The Cats of New Cairo)

Deaths
2003 - Martin Johnson (designer on The Tomb of the Cybermen) aged 64
2009 - Barry Letts (Producer [1970-1975]; executive producer [1980-1981]; uncredited co-writer on The Dæmons [under the pseudonym Guy Leopold], The Time Monster, The Green Death and Planet of the Spiders; writer of several Doctor Who-related books and audio adventures; director of The Enemy of the World, Inferno [uncredited], Terror of the Autons, Carnival of Monsters, Planet of the Spiders and The Android Invasion; co-creator of the Master) aged 84

2014 - Victor Winding (Spencer in The Faceless Ones) aged 85

Episodes
1965 - Mission to the Unknown: 8.3 million viewers
1976 - The Hand of Fear, Part Two: 10.5 million viewers

Releases
1980 - Issue 46 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1986 - Issue 118 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

2000 - The Five Doctors (DVD - region 4)

2006 - The Sontaran Experiment (DVD - region 2)
2008 - The Forever Trap (BBC Audio); issue 85 of Doctor Who Adventures (BBC Magazines); The Torchwood Archives (BBC Magazines)
2013 - Issue 331 of Doctor Who Adventures (Immediate Media Co.)
2015 - Toby Hadoke's Who's Round 141 (Big Finish)

Behind-the-Scenes
1963 - At the request of Sydney Newman, the first episode of An Unearthly Child was re-recorded based on his notes and feedback
1965 - Mission to the Unknown, Doctor Who's first one-episode story, doesn't feature the Doctor or any companions as William Hartnell, Peter Purves and Maureen O'Brien were on holiday at the time of filming. The story, serving as a prequel to The Daleks' Master Plan, was to compensate for the previous year's Planet of Giants, which was edited down from a four-part story to three, and was Verity Lambert's final credit as Doctor Who's first producer
2014 - Recording of the Big Finish audios Little Doctors and The Way of the Empty Hand took place

2017 - Recording of the Big Finish audios The Dispossessed and the fourth series of the Doctor Who spin-off The Diary of River Song took place
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 9th October 2018, 04:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 624

A Cybermat from Closing Time (2011)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cybermat5 (Large).jpg (53.1 KB, 34 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 10th October 2018, 05:15 AM
Cult Master

October 10th: Today in WHO-story

Births
1923 - Nicholas Parsons (Reverend Wainwright in The Curse of Fenric)

1931 - Victor Pemberton (Scientist in The Moonbase; script editor on The Tomb of the Cybermen; writer of Fury from the Deep and Argo Records' audio adventure Doctor Who and the Pescatons; creator of the Sonic Screwdriver)

1982 - Dan Stevens (Rick ausGarten in the Big Finish audio The Cradle of the Snake)
1986 - Lucy Griffiths (Mabel Dobbs in the Big Finish audio The Auntie Matter)

Deaths
1977 - Angelo Muscat (Chumbley in Galaxy 4) aged 47
1982 - Laidlaw Dalling (Rouvray in The Reign of Terror) aged 54

1984 - Alan Lake (Herrick in Underworld) aged 43

2009 - Stephen Gately (Tommy Tomorrow in the Big Finish audio Horror of Glam Rock) aged 33

Episodes
2011 - The Sarah Jane Adventures: The Curse of Clyde Langer, Part One (CBBC): 0.79 million viewers
2015 - Before the Flood: 6.05 million viewers

Releases
1985 - Issue 106 of Doctor Who Magazine (Marvel)

1992 - The Sixties (Virgin Books - First Edition)

2002 - Dalek Survival Guide (BBC Books)

2011 - Series 6: Part 2 (DVD box set - region 2)
2013 - Doctor Who Figurine Collection (Eaglemoss Publications Limited)

Behind-the-Scenes
1963 - Donald Wilson sent a memo to Sydney Newman, Joanna Spicer and Richard Laver, requesting a higher special effects effort on Doctor Who
2013 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The War to End All Wars took place

2017 - Recording of the Big Finish audio The Dispossessed took place
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 10th October 2018, 06:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I notice we had no comment from Susan on what she thought of the first episode.

Like this? Share it using the links below!