Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28655Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2019, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's the perfect storm. Highest budget, greatest producer/script editor team, best story structure (unlike the majority of 6 parters, you do learn more as it goes on). I'm gushing. but lying I'm not......

Onto Terror Of The Zygons. I have watched this in tandem with The Loch Ness Horror . Harry's last stand. A shame. yes, I see where he was "a spare part", but still....
Gothmogxx likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 4th March 2019, 05:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 767

The Skovox Blitzer as seen in The Caretaker (2014)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41873157_141019_0754_42 (Large).jpg (41.6 KB, 32 views)
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 4th March 2019, 07:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

New issue

Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 4th March 2019, 07:24 PM
Cult Master

Covers for 'The Macra Terror' - DVD/Blu-Ray and Steelbox

Extra features

Audio Commentary: Toby Hadoke presents an audio commentary track on all four episodes of ‘The Macra Terror’, featuring cast and crew from the original 1967 production - Frazer Hines (Jamie), Terence Lodge (Medok), Anthony Gardner (Alvis), Maureen Lane (Majorette) and director, John Davies. Commentary produced by John Kelly and recorded in London on 4th January 2019.

Episode Reconstructions: Surviving film frames, fragments of existing footage and set photographs are brought together with the original unedited audio to reconstruct a presentation of the original now lost live-action production of ‘The Macra Terror’, as seen by viewers of BBC 1 in 1967. Produced by Derek Handley. Available to watch with or without an optional narration track read by Anneke Wills.

Bonus Mini-Episode: A ten-minute animated short, built around an otherwise lost Doctor Who episode from 1968 starring Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines. Directed by AnneMarie Walsh.

Animation Test: Prior to the project being formally commissioned, this short animation test (of a scene from episode 3 of ‘The Macra Terror’) was produced in March 2018, to investigate the feasibility of mounting the production in full.

Animatics: A selection of scenes showing how the new animated production of ‘The Macra Terror’ went from initial storyboards to final animation. Storyboard art by Adrian Salmon.

Animation Gallery: A gallery of artwork from the development, pre-production and animation of the new animated version of ‘The Macra Terror’, including character art from Martin Geraghty and background paintings from Graham Bleathman, Colin Howard and Lydia Butz.

Teaser Trailer: A short teaser trailer animated by Rob Ritchie, produced to promote the announcement of a new production of ‘The Macra Terror’ in December 2018.

Alternative Black and White presentation: The full four-part animation is also available to view in an alternative black and white format on disc 2.

1992 Audio Presentation: In 1992, the BBC Audio Collection released ‘The Macra Terror’ on audio cassette, in a special release narrated by Colin Baker. It was the first time that the story had been made commercially available by the BBC and that audio-only release is included here in full.

Surviving Footage: Less than two minutes of original footage still exist from the 1967 production of ‘The Macra Terror’. These film fragments have been painstakingly restored and digitally remastered for this release, with considerable improvements made to the overall picture quality and resolution of this unique footage. Film restoration by Peter Crocker.

Behind the scenes film: In 1967, during pre-production of ‘The Macra Terror’, film cameras visited the visual effects workshop in Uxbridge where work was underway on construction of the Macra props. Special effects props and models from other Doctor Who stories can also be seen in the workshop, including parts of a Cyberman from ‘The Tenth Planet’ (1966) and an aeroplane from ‘The Faceless Ones’ (1967). This footage is accompanied by a new audio commentary track from Doctor Who visual effects designer and BBC visual effects historian, Mike Tucker, explaining some of the effects techniques and props featured in the film.

Censored Scene: A reconstruction of a scene from episode 2 of ‘The Macra Terror’ that was heavily re-edited by censors for the episode’s Australian television transmission in November 1967.

Title sequences: ‘The Macra Terror’ saw the debut of a new title sequence for Doctor Who - the first time the programme had made such a change. The title sequence is presented here in full, remastered in HD and in a number of alternative versions.

Photo gallery: A collection of 36 photographs taken during the production of ‘The Macra Terror’ in 1967, featuring original design department set photographs and Radio Times publicity images. All presented in HD.

Production Paperwork: A full set of original camera scripts, studio schedules, floor plans and other materials are available to view by accessing disc 2 via your computer’s DVD or Blu Ray ROM drive.

Additional extras exclusive to Steelbook:

Gridlock: The Macra returned to Doctor Who in 2007, in this episode starring David Tennant and written by Russell T. Davies.
Audio commentary: Julie Gardner, Travis Oliver and Marie Jones discuss the making of 'Gridlock' in this audio commentary track from 2007.
Doctor Who Confidential – Are we there yet?: A documentary looking at the making of the 2007 story, 'Gridlock'.
Mojo and Demoncrat like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th March 2019, 07:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Covers for 'The Macra Terror' - DVD/Blu-Ray and Steelbox

Extra features

Audio Commentary: Toby Hadoke presents an audio commentary track on all four episodes of ‘The Macra Terror’, featuring cast and crew from the original 1967 production - Frazer Hines (Jamie), Terence Lodge (Medok), Anthony Gardner (Alvis), Maureen Lane (Majorette) and director, John Davies. Commentary produced by John Kelly and recorded in London on 4th January 2019.

Episode Reconstructions: Surviving film frames, fragments of existing footage and set photographs are brought together with the original unedited audio to reconstruct a presentation of the original now lost live-action production of ‘The Macra Terror’, as seen by viewers of BBC 1 in 1967. Produced by Derek Handley. Available to watch with or without an optional narration track read by Anneke Wills.

Bonus Mini-Episode: A ten-minute animated short, built around an otherwise lost Doctor Who episode from 1968 starring Patrick Troughton and Frazer Hines. Directed by AnneMarie Walsh.

Animation Test: Prior to the project being formally commissioned, this short animation test (of a scene from episode 3 of ‘The Macra Terror’) was produced in March 2018, to investigate the feasibility of mounting the production in full.

Animatics: A selection of scenes showing how the new animated production of ‘The Macra Terror’ went from initial storyboards to final animation. Storyboard art by Adrian Salmon.

Animation Gallery: A gallery of artwork from the development, pre-production and animation of the new animated version of ‘The Macra Terror’, including character art from Martin Geraghty and background paintings from Graham Bleathman, Colin Howard and Lydia Butz.

Teaser Trailer: A short teaser trailer animated by Rob Ritchie, produced to promote the announcement of a new production of ‘The Macra Terror’ in December 2018.

Alternative Black and White presentation: The full four-part animation is also available to view in an alternative black and white format on disc 2.

1992 Audio Presentation: In 1992, the BBC Audio Collection released ‘The Macra Terror’ on audio cassette, in a special release narrated by Colin Baker. It was the first time that the story had been made commercially available by the BBC and that audio-only release is included here in full.

Surviving Footage: Less than two minutes of original footage still exist from the 1967 production of ‘The Macra Terror’. These film fragments have been painstakingly restored and digitally remastered for this release, with considerable improvements made to the overall picture quality and resolution of this unique footage. Film restoration by Peter Crocker.

Behind the scenes film: In 1967, during pre-production of ‘The Macra Terror’, film cameras visited the visual effects workshop in Uxbridge where work was underway on construction of the Macra props. Special effects props and models from other Doctor Who stories can also be seen in the workshop, including parts of a Cyberman from ‘The Tenth Planet’ (1966) and an aeroplane from ‘The Faceless Ones’ (1967). This footage is accompanied by a new audio commentary track from Doctor Who visual effects designer and BBC visual effects historian, Mike Tucker, explaining some of the effects techniques and props featured in the film.

Censored Scene: A reconstruction of a scene from episode 2 of ‘The Macra Terror’ that was heavily re-edited by censors for the episode’s Australian television transmission in November 1967.

Title sequences: ‘The Macra Terror’ saw the debut of a new title sequence for Doctor Who - the first time the programme had made such a change. The title sequence is presented here in full, remastered in HD and in a number of alternative versions.

Photo gallery: A collection of 36 photographs taken during the production of ‘The Macra Terror’ in 1967, featuring original design department set photographs and Radio Times publicity images. All presented in HD.

Production Paperwork: A full set of original camera scripts, studio schedules, floor plans and other materials are available to view by accessing disc 2 via your computer’s DVD or Blu Ray ROM drive.

Additional extras exclusive to Steelbook:

Gridlock: The Macra returned to Doctor Who in 2007, in this episode starring David Tennant and written by Russell T. Davies.
Audio commentary: Julie Gardner, Travis Oliver and Marie Jones discuss the making of 'Gridlock' in this audio commentary track from 2007.
Doctor Who Confidential – Are we there yet?: A documentary looking at the making of the 2007 story, 'Gridlock'.
Happy I went with the steelbook! as the other artwork is awful.
Old 4th March 2019, 07:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Happy I went with the steelbook! as the other artwork is awful.
Hopefully the dvd will be reversible so it will at least fit in the collection.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 4th March 2019, 07:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Steel book reverse.

And full cover image.

trebor8273 likes this.
Old 5th March 2019, 08:04 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
An Unearthly Child Episode 1: An Unearthly Child
The Doctor: You don't understand, so you find excuses. Illusions, indeed? You say you can't fit an enormous building into one of your smaller sitting rooms?
Ian Chesterton: No.
The Doctor: But you've discovered television, haven't you?
Ian Chesterton: Yes.
The Doctor: Then by showing an enormous building on your television screen, you can do what seemed impossible, couldn't you?
Ian Chesterton: Well, yes, but I still don't know...
The Doctor: Not quite clear, is it? I can see by your face that youre not certain. You don't understand. And I knew you wouldn't! Never mind.
An Unearthly Child Episode 2: The Cave Of Skulls
Susan Foreman: We've left 1963.
The Doctor: Oh, yes, undoubtedly. I'll be able to tell you where presently. Zero? That's not right. I'm afraid this yearometer is not calculating properly. Hm! Well, anyway, the journey's finished. [looking at Ian on the ground] What are you doing down there?
Barbara Wright: What have you done?
Ian Chesterton: Barbara, you don't believe all this nonsense.
Susan Foreman: Well, look at the scanner screen.
The Doctor: Yes, look up there. They don't understand and I suspect they don't want to. Well, there you are. A new world for you.
Ian Chesterton: Sand and rock?
The Doctor: Yes. That's the immediate view outside the ship.
Barbara Wright: But where are we?
Ian Chesterton: You mean that's what we'll see when we go outside?
Susan Foreman: Yes, you'll see it for yourself.
Ian Chesterton: I don't believe it.
The Doctor: You really are a stubborn young man, aren't you?
Ian Chesterton: All right, show me some proof. Give me some concrete evidence. I'm sorry, Susan. I don't want to hurt you, but it's time you were brought back to reality.
Susan Foreman: But you're wrong, Mr. Chesterton.
The Doctor: They are saying I'm a charlatan. What concrete evidence would satisfy you? Hmm?
Ian Chesterton: Just open the doors, Doctor Foreman.
The Doctor: Eh? Doctor who? What are you talking about?
An Unearthly Child Episode 3: The Forest Of Fear
Dr. Who: You seem to have elected yourself leader of this little party.
Ian Chesterton: There isn't time to vote on it.
Dr. Who: Just as long as you understand that I won't follow your orders blindly.
Ian Chesterton: If there were only two of us, you could find your own way back to the ship.
Dr. Who: Aren't you a tiresome young man?
Ian Chesterton: And you're a stubborn old man. But you will lead. The girls in between and I'll bring up the rear. Because that's the safest way.
An Unearthly Child Episode 4: The Firemaker
Dr. Who: Yes, it's matching up.
Susan Foreman: We're beginning to land.
Dr. Who: Oh, how I wish.
Ian Chesterton: Have you taken us back to our own time?
Dr. Who: You know I can't do that. Please be reasonable.
Ian Chesterton: What?
Barbara Wright: Please, you must take us back. You must.
Dr. Who: You see, this isn't operating correctly. Or rather, the code is still a secret. When you put the right data, precise information to a second of the beginning of a journey, then we can fix a destination, but I had no data at my disposal.
Barbara Wright: Are you saying that you don't know how to work this thing?
Dr. Who: Well, of course I can't. I'm not a miracle worker.
Susan Foreman: You can't blame Grandfather. We left the other place too quickly, that's all.
Ian Chesterton: Just a minute, did you try and take us back to our own time?
Dr. Who: Well, I got you away from that other time, didn't I?
Ian Chesterton: That isn't what I asked you.
Dr. Who: It's the only way I can answer you, young man. Now. [switches on moniter] Now we shall see.
[the moniter displays images from planet Skaro]
Dr. Who: It could be anywhere. Dear, dear, dear, dear. It's no help to us at all. Well, I suggest before we go outside and explore, let us clean ourselves up.
Susan Foreman: Yes.
Dr. Who: Now, what does the radiation read, Susan?
Susan Foreman: It's reading normal, Grandfather.
[after she turns away, the radiation dial switches across to read 'Danger']
Demoncrat likes this.

Old 5th March 2019, 09:28 AM
Cult Master

I've finally been able to watch the 2018 series and New Years special, so here are my thoughts:

The Woman Who Fell To Earth
An entertaining opener, but it was much too rushed. There was too much plot to fit into a single episode, and would probably have worked better as a two-parter - the Doctor's regeneration, regeneration trauma, the introduction of three new companions (four if you count Grace), the Tzim-Sha character and threat were all featured, but nothing was really covered in any detail. There were also some hideously gaping plot holes - would a building site really have a tall crane working after dark, especially being driven by someone afraid of heights and who has confidence issues? What happened to the metal bar across the end of the crane that the Doctor jumped from?

The Ghost Monument
It was like a cut down segment from the 1964 story 'The Keys Of Marinus'. Again it was enjoyable, but it could have been so much better. The 'curtain monsters' were especially disappointing. The best moments came at the end, when the Doctor was reunited with the TARDIS

Rosa
A great episode, but it would have worked so much better of it has been done as a straight forward historical story with no science fiction elements. It should have been an examination into who Rosa Parks was, and her importance in world history instead of featung a time travelling racist alien. It should have had the older members of the TARDIS crew (the Doctor and Graham) aware of what was going on and willing to let things unfold as they actually did, while the younger members (Yasmin and Ryan) ignorant of the facts, and insistant that they should fight the injustices that they see, leading to the whole "you can't re-write history. Not one line" dilemma from 'The Aztecs'

Arachnids In The UK
It seemed to me that the whole point of this story was to scare viewers by the use of spiders. The title would have made more sense if it had been a period piece, set in 1976, when 'anarchy in the UK' actually meant something. As it is, it was stupid - 'Arachnids in Sheffield' would have been more acceptable! It was also a missed opportunity for a bit of continuation - there should have been some kind of mention of the Doctor's previous encounter with giant spiders, even if it was a throwaway one: "Ugh! Spiders. I once had a bad experience with them on a planet called Metebelis 3. Anyway, who wants a bacon butty and a cup of char, m'ducks?". The ultimate resolution was all wrong as well. Rather than finding some way for the spiders to live in peace, they were locked in a vault and left to die. The Doctor once again commits genocide. Didn't she learn anything from 'Terror Of The Vervoids'?

The Tsuranga Conundrum
I know it's come in for a lot of critisism from people on the forum, but I thought this was a highly enjoyable piece of throwaway fluff. However, I thought there was too much comedy in the story, and it was a huge mistake making the Pting creature a complete rip-off of Nibbler from the 'Futurama' series

Demons Of The Punjab
For me, this was easily the worst episode of the series. It bored me on viewing, and sent me to sleep when I watched it with the DVD commentary. Again, tho, it could have been so much better. Like 'Rosa', the inclusion of science fiction elements in an important historic even was a big mistake, and it should have been played straight. I knew nothing about The Partition Of India before I watched the story, and afterwards, all I know about it was it included a race of alien creatures who would honour the dead when there was no-one else around to do it!

Kerblam!
Exploding bubblewrap? That is the kind of thing that The Joker would have come up with in the 1960's 'Batman' show! 'Doctor Who' works well when it takes something from everyday life, and makes it into a monster to scare children with - transistor radios from 'The Invasion'; plastic chairs, flowers and toys from 'Terror Of The Autons'; Sat-Navs from 'The Sontaran Stratagem' etc, but bubblewrap really missed the boat

The Witchfinders
A great episode, and 'Doctor Who' how it should be done. Fast, funny and (above all) frightening

It Takes You Away
Something about a cabin in the woods with a magic door that lead to a mirror dimension where a father ran to, leaving his blind daughter in Norway where she was frightened by tape recorder sounds of monsters in the woods. Or something

The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos
The return of the Tzim-Sha character and a plot that was a totally copy of the Tom Baker story 'The Pirate Planet'. A great dilemma story for Graham, but other than that, it was eminently forgettable

Resolution
Surely a Dalek story should feature the Daleks! The problem here is that for over half its runtime, the 'Dalek' was the squelchy flesh-and-blood creature rather than the mechanical killing machine. It was boring! And then when the proper Dalek appeared, it was a poorly redesigned one. Yes, I know it was a 'one-off', and yes, I know that sometimes a redesigned Dalek is good - the power to fly, and the mid-section that is able to turn thru 360 degrees while firing spring to mind - but why does a Dalek need to have missiles beneath it's skirt section? What's wrong with a basic laser which has the power to drill a hole in the moon when shot from the Earth. Ultimately this new Dalek just made me think of the RefBot from 'Robot Wars'!

This series of 'Doctor Who' has come in for a lot of critisism, and I think that some of it is justified. However, it is nothing to do with the cast. I think that Jodie, Bradley, Tosin and Mandip acquitted themselves fine. I think that the problem lies wholly and solely with the writing, which were perfectly acceptable...for first draft efforts. Problem is, you need to get to third or fourth draft efforts before the show is ready to film

What it needs is a proper script editor, who is going to look at stories, and get out the red pen before returning them to the writer with the note 'please do re-writes and make amendments before returning the script to me in four weeks time'!

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 5th March 2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 5th March 2019, 12:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Pic of the Day # 768

An Ice Warrior hunts Jamie and Zoe in the 1969 story The Seeds of Death.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw-ice-warrior-00.jpg (67.0 KB, 32 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!