Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2019, 07:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Yes it's a very odd cover picture of Pertwee it just doesn't work, the head looks out of place on the body. Hopefully it will change before production. I'm glad we aren't getting another Tom Baker set though and Pertwee is getting a look in.
I was expecting Davisons last season with how the releases have went but more than happy with this, a lot of great story's!
Old 16th April 2019, 09:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
wow, i remember this Special. i read it till it dropped apart. if memory serves me right there were some brilliant double page photos? wasn't there a colour one of Jamie and Victoria being chased by a yeti? i'd hate to think that was a false memory.
Yes, i have that and a few others on file for future use.
Old 16th April 2019, 09:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
I was expecting Davisons last season with how the releases have went but more than happy with this, a lot of great story's!
Problem with that idea is you'll also get The Twin Dilemma.
JAMIOUSE and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th April 2019, 10:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Problem with that idea is you'll also get The Twin Dilemma.
Still would rather watch that than what we got in the last season!
iank likes this.
Old 17th April 2019, 06:59 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Sea Devils – Episode 1
(Trenchard leads the way along a corridor to the cell and enters. The Master is now working out on a rowing machine.)
Trenchard: Visitors for you.
The Master: Why, Doctor! And Miss Grant! What a very pleasant surprise.
The Doctor: Yes, well, how are you?
The Master: Well, as you see, very well. Trying to keep fit.
Trenchard: Yes, well, I'll leave you all together. Give the guard a shout when you want to leave.
The Doctor: Thank you, Colonel.
(Trenchard leaves.)
The Master: He's quite a decent sort, really. Used to be the Governor of a colony once, so he tells me.
The Doctor: Very small colony, wasn't it? In fact, I believe they claimed independence soon after he arrived.
Jo: He seems to be looking after you very well.
The Master: Oh, yes, I've got everything I want, except, of course, my freedom.
The Doctor: You can consider yourself lucky. Quite a few people were in favour of having you executed.
The Master: My dear Doctor, don't think I'm not grateful. I've had a chance to think about things while I've been in here.
The Doctor: Have you now?
The Master: I wish that something like this had happened a long time ago.
Jo: Surely you don't like being locked up?
The Master: No, but, it's given me a chance to reconsider my life.
The Doctor: Am I to take it that you're a changed man?
The Sea Devils – Episode 2
Jo: Those things that attacked us. You said you'd seen something like it before.
The Doctor: Something very similar, certainly. They emerged from some caves in Derbyshire.
Jo: The Silurians, wasn't it? The Brigadier was telling me.
The Doctor: That's a complete misnomer. The chap who discovered them must have got the period wrong. No, properly speaking, they should have been called the Eocenes.
The Sea Devils – Episode 3
Trenchard: What's going on here?
(The Doctor looks round as the knife thuds into the bathroom door frame.)
The Master: I was defending myself. This man came here to kill me.
Trenchard: Be so good as to explain yourself, Doctor.
The Doctor: Only a complete fool would listen to such an accusation. Though I suppose in your case.
Trenchard: Don't speak to me like that. I shall have a full enquiry into the whole thing. Meanwhile, consider yourself under arrest. Take him to my office immediately.
The Doctor: Oh, don't be absurd, man.
Trenchard: You heard me. Take him away. (A guard keeps the Doctor covered with his pistol as he throws down the foils and walks across the cell.)
The Doctor: If you must continue with this ridiculous charade. Only take care not to lose him this time, won't you?
(The Doctor and the guard leave.)
The Sea Devils – Episode 4
Trenchard: What is it?
The Master: One of the creatures that have been destroying the ships.
Trenchard: You told me it was enemy agents. Why didn't you tell me the truth?
The Master: If I had, would you have believed me?
(On the beach, the guards are staring at the reptile.)
The Doctor: There's only one thing for it. We'll have to go through the minefield.
(The reptile uses its weapon and kills one guard, then another. A gunfight starts. The Doctor throws himself across the first roll of barbed wire to flatten it and let Jo across, then the second and into the minefield proper.)
Jo: We'll get blown up.
The Doctor: No, don't worry.
Jo: What are you doing?
The Doctor: My sonic screwdriver. It converts into rather a good mine detector. (The screwdriver pings like sonar. This attracts the reptile who has now killed all the guards.) Look out. Look, there's one over there. Now, you'll have to move round to the right. Now follow me.
The Master: Stupid beast. Why doesn't it attack them?
(The Master alters the amplitude of the transmission and the reptile heads for the minefield. The Doctor and Jo reach an area where an unwary seagull has previously set a mine off.)
Jo: Doctor, it's following us! (The reptile comes through the gaps made by the Doctor.) Doctor!
The Doctor: Relax, Jo, relax. (The Doctor adjustments the screwdriver and aims it back towards the reptile. A nearby mine goes Bang! then another and another. It takes a fourth and fifth to sent it screaming back to the waves. The Doctor retunes again.) Right, follow me.
The Sea Devils – Episode 5
Sea Devil: This is our planet. My people ruled the Earth when man was only an ape.
(The Doctor is out of the bell.)
The Doctor: Your people went into hibernation and abandoned Earth to its fate.
Sea Devil: Our astronomers predicted that a great catastrophe would end all life on the face of the Earth.
The Doctor: Yes, but the catastrophe that you predicted never happened. And the apes that you left behind on the surface to die became man.
Sea Devil: You know our history?
The Doctor: Yes. Yes, I've encountered your people before. That is why I want to prevent a conflict that can only end in your destruction.
Sea Devil: We shall destroy man and reclaim the planet. Already we have begun to sink his ships.
The Doctor: Yes, and already more ships are being sent to hunt you down.
Sea Devil: The submarine? We have captured it.
The Doctor: You may win a few victories to begin with but eventually you're bound to lose.
Sea Devil: There are many thousands of our people in hibernation in this base. We have other colonies hidden all round the world. We shall be the victors in the war against mankind.
The Doctor: But there's no need for a war. Why can't you share the planet?
Sea Devil: That would be impossible.
The Doctor: The depths of the sea and those areas on Earth where man cannot live can be yours.
Sea Devil: And man would agree to that?
The Doctor: There's a chance. Wouldn't it be better to try for a peace, than to launch yourself into a war that you cannot possibly win?
Sea Devil: I will consider what you have said.
The Doctor: Let me return to the humans, and I will endeavour to make a peace for you.
Sea Devil: Perhaps it would be possible.
The Master: No! The Doctor is your deadly enemy! He must be destroyed!
The Sea Devils – Episode 6
The Master: Once they see that the device works properly, they'll release me.
The Doctor: I very much doubt it. You see, before you reactivated it, I reversed the polarity of the neutron flow.
The Master: You did what? You realise what will happen?
The Doctor: Oh, yes. Do you?
The Master: Well, there'll be a massive reverse feedback into their whole power system.
The Doctor: Exactly. In about ten minutes from now the whole place should go up. Enjoy your revenge.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th April 2019, 08:47 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 12

Sara Griffiths as Ray and Sylvester McCoy as the Doctor (plus Vincent motorbike) in a promo image for the 1987 story Delta and the Bannermen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm1.jpg (98.4 KB, 35 views)
Old 18th April 2019, 07:13 AM
Cult Master

The Mutants – Episode 1
(What looks like a very large chocolate Easter egg materialises on the workbench.)
The Doctor: Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
Jo: Lunch?
The Doctor: No.
Jo: Bomb?
The Doctor: No, nothing so exciting.
Jo: Well?
The Doctor: It's an assignment.
Jo: Well then, it is exciting.
The Doctor: No, it's a container of some kind, Jo, from them.
Jo: Time Lords?
The Doctor: That's right.
Jo: Well, aren't you going to open it?
The Doctor: I'm not allowed to open it.
Jo: Huh?
The Doctor: I couldn't, even if I wanted to. No, I'm not meant to. I couldn't open it, even if I wanted to. No, it's only meant for one person, and or creature. It will only open for one person.
Jo: And or creature.
The Doctor: Yeah, that's right. Yes, I'm just the messenger boy.
The Mutants – Episode 2
Jo: How long before they track us down?
Ky: The caverns run for miles. They will never find us.
Jo: But that means neither will the Doctor.
Ky: We must wait. My people will tell me when the Doctor comes.
Jo: Your people?
Ky: The dispossessed, the outcasts, the terrorists, as the Overlords label them. Tell me about the caverns of Earth.
Jo: The what?
Ky: The caverns, where you live on Earth.
Jo: I live in London.
Ky: A sky city.
Jo: No, London. London on the ground.
Ky: No, I have seen pictures of Earth. No one lives on the ground. The air is too poisonous. And soon Solos will be the same. The Overlords only promise independence so they can go on plundering our resources, turning our green fields into their grey slagheaps. Am I not right? Is it not true?
The Mutants – Episode 3
Stubbs [OC]: It's us, Doctor. Stubbs and Cotton. Is Miss Grant with you?
The Doctor [OC]: Yes, she's over here. She appears to be injured.
(The Marshal turns off his comm. and speaks to his guards.)
Marshal: Right, prepare the grenades.
Guard: But, sir, they're all in there.
Marshal: Exactly. Fire the grenades. (The guards throw the gas grenades further down the passage.) Pull out! Everyone out of the cave. (The Marshal fastens the detonators to the passage wall and triggers them, setting the timer.) (into comm.) All sections, seal off exits. Fire grenades.
The Mutants – Episode 4
The Doctor: It must be a code of some kind. It must. Eureka, it's a calendar! Spring, summer, autumn, winter.
Sondergaard: But Solos has no seasons. It does not tilt on its axis relative to its sun.
The Doctor: Well, it may not tilt, Professor, but it could move closer. Look, these ellipses here, they're the orbits.
Sondergaard: But Solos takes two thousand years to go round its sun. We know that.
The Doctor: Then the seasons must be five hundred years long.
Sondergaard: Possibly.
The Doctor: See, these signs here. They only appear in the summer. And these little matchstick men here only appear in the spring.
Sondergaard: Yes, but what about these spirals? They're like small sun symbols.
The Doctor: Yes, like small sun symbols. Well, yes, but that's it! That that's what I said. That's radiation. That's thaesium radiation! So that's why they sent me here. Professor, I want you to take me to that place where you found Jo.
Stubbs: The radiation cave? But I've only one suit. If you spend any time in there without one, Doctor, you will die. Any man would.
The Doctor: Any man, perhaps. (More debris falls from the ceiling.) Hurry, Professor.
The Mutants – Episode 5
Marshal: You're right, Miss Grant. Your friend the Doctor, is alive, and on Solos. And we know where he is.
Jo: Then why don't you arrest him?
Marshal: Oh, we shall, never fear.
Jaeger: You see, Miss Grant, there's a technique known as particle reversal. We wish to use the Doctor's knowledge of this technique to, as it were, sweep the dust under the carpet before the Investigator arrives.
Jo: And supposing the Doctor refuses to cooperate?
Marshal: Oh, he will cooperate. He will, Miss Grant. You are our guarantee. Now I shall return to Solos, supervise his capture. Guard!
The Mutants – Episode 6
The Doctor: You destroyed these poor people for no reason at all.
Marshal: They would have died anyway.
The Doctor: Not died, Marshal, changed.
Marshal: It was my duty! My duty to save Solos from contamination!
The Doctor: Duty? Your idea of duty was to keep this planet for yourself.
Marshal: They're mutants! Mutts! They're diseased! To be wiped off the face of the planet! I
The Doctor: Need I say more, Investigator?

Old 18th April 2019, 10:40 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 13

Andrew Skilleter's cover painting for the 1988 Cybermen book by David Banks.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cybermen.jpg (94.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 19th April 2019, 07:06 AM
Cult Master

The Time Monster – Episode 1
Jo: Doctor. Doctor. Are you all right?
The Doctor: Oh. Oh, I must have been dreaming.
Jo: I'll say you were. A real pippin of a dream. I've brought you a cup of tea. Do you want it?
The Doctor: Yes. Volcanoes and earthquakes (The Doctor gets up, walks a few steps and hands the cup of tea back to Jo.) Thank you. I enjoyed that.
Jo: Doctor, have you been working all night again? On that? I don't know. What is anyway, a super dematerialisation circuit?
The Doctor: Oh, no. No, that'll have to wait. No, this is far more important. It might make all the difference the next time he turns up.
Jo: The next time who turns up?
The Doctor: The Master, of course.
The Time Monster – Episode 2
The Doctor: Cut the power!
Ruth: I can't. It won't budge!
The Doctor: Then reverse the polarity!
Ruth: What?
The Doctor: Reverse the temporal polarity!
The Time Monster – Episode 3
(The Master is adjusting TOM-TIT's controls as Kronos flies around the radiation lab like an angry albino crow.)
Krasis: What are you doing?
The Master: Reversing the interstitial flow. Now don't interrupt me. I've got to concentrate.
Krasis: You have not the power to control him!
The Master: I shall have, never fear. Just give me time. Now, I must put him back where he belongs.
The Time Monster – Episode 4
(The Tardis dematerialises. The soldiers don't bat an eyelid.)
Farmer: Londoners!
The Time Monster – Episode 5
Galleia: Dalios, listen. I hear strange music. (A Tardis is materialising somewhere.) There it is again. (In the lower right corner of the plaza, a mainframe computer appears.) Look!
Dalios: Guards! (The Master steps out of his Tardis and pushes a trident aside.) Who are you?
The Master: I am the Master. I come as an emissary from the gods.
Dalios: Indeed? Any god in particular?
The Time Monster – Episode 6
Jo: Makes it seem so pointless, really, doesn't it?
The Doctor: I felt like that once when I was young. It was the blackest day of my life.
Jo: Why?
The Doctor: Ah, well, that's another story. I'll tell you about it one day. The point is, that day was not only my blackest, it was also my best.
Jo: Hmm? Well, what do you mean?
The Doctor: Well, when I was a little boy, we used to live in a house that was perched halfway up the top of a mountain. And behind our house, there sat under a tree an old man. A hermit, a monk. He'd lived under this tree for half his lifetime, so they said, and had learnt the secret of life. So, when my black day came, I went and asked him to help me.
Jo: And he told you the secret? Well, what was it?
The Doctor: Well, I'm coming to that, Jo, in my own time. Ah, I'll never forget what it was like up there. All bleak and cold, it was. A few bare rocks with some weeds sprouting from them and some pathetic little patches of sludgy snow. It was just grey. Grey, grey, grey. Well, the tree the old man sat under was ancient and twisted, and the old man himself was... he was as brittle and dry as a leaf in the autumn.
Jo: But what did he say?
The Doctor: Nothing. Not a word. He just sat there silently, expressionless, and he listened whilst I poured out my troubles to him. I was too unhappy even for tears, I remember. And when I'd finished, he lifted a skeletal hand and he pointed. Do you know what he pointed at?
Jo: No.
The Doctor: A flower. One of those little weeds. Just like a daisy, it was. Well, I looked at it for a moment and suddenly I saw it through his eyes. It was simply glowing with life, like a perfectly cut jewel, and the colours... the colours were deeper and richer than anything you could possibly imagine. Yes, it was the daisiest daisy I'd ever seen.
Jo: And that was the secret of life? A daisy [scoffs] Honestly, Doctor!
The Doctor: Oh, yes, I laughed too when I first heard it. So, later, I got up and I ran down that mountain and I found that the rocks weren't grey at all. They were red, brown, purple and gold. And those pathetic little patches of sludgy snow, they were shining white. Shining white in the sunlight. You still frightened, Jo?
Jo: [smiling] No, not as much as I was.
The Doctor: That's good. I'm sorry I brought you to Atlantis.
Jo: I'm not.
The Doctor: Thank you.

Old 19th April 2019, 09:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 14

It's a lovely warm Good Friday so why not go to the park as the Doctor (Matt Smith) and Amy (Karen Gillan) did in the 2012 story Angels in Manhattan, shown here in a publicity pose in New York's Central Park.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (1) (Large).jpg (88.6 KB, 22 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!