Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28510Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2019, 05:53 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Three Doctors – Episode 1
The First Doctor: Oh, so you're my replacements - a dandy and a clown. Have you done anything?
The Second Doctor: Well, we've assessed the situation...
The First Doctor: Just as I thought - nothing.
The Three Doctors – Episode 2
The Brigadier: All right, now we're in here, what do we do?
The Second Doctor: Well, we have a think. Care for a jelly baby?
The Three Doctors – Episode 3
Omega: Without me there would be no time travel. You and our fellow Time Lords would still be locked in your own time, as puny as those creatures you now so graciously protect.
The Three Doctors – Episode 4
The Second Doctor: If only I could find my recorder, I could play you a little something to pass the time.
The Brigadier: We must be thankful for small mercies.

**NOTE - It's a real shame I'm only doing one quote per episode. The constant bickering between the second and third Doctor, and the confusion of the situation by the regulars (Jo, the Brigadier, Benton) result in a truly wonderful and hilarious script by Bob Baker and Dave Martin

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th April 2019, 08:45 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 15

Ten years ago on Easter Saturday we were about to watch the episode Planet of the Dead, the first of the so called year of specials that would result in the regeneration of the 10th Doctor (David Tennant), seen here with guest star Michelle Ryan, in the Dubai desert where three days of filming took place. The bus in the background was flown out to Dubai by the BBC FX department.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg who27.jpg (90.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 20th April 2019, 10:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Rumours circulating that The Faceless Ones may be the next animation.
Mojo and trebor8273 like this.
Old 20th April 2019, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
When you said The Faceless Ones i thought you meant Whitaker, Yaz, Graeme and that other lad whose name i can't remember.
trebor8273 and iank like this.
Old 21st April 2019, 05:15 AM
Cult Master

Carnival Of Monsters – Episode 1
Vorg: The generators were built by the old Eternity Perpetual company. They were designed to last forever; that's why the company went bankrupt.
Carnival Of Monsters – Episode 2
Kalik: In what way does this machine amuse?
Vorg: Your worship, allow me to demonstrate. If you will watch the glo-sphere.
(Claire and Andrews appear on the round screen.)
Orum: What is this?
Vorg: These creatures are Tellurians, a species discovered in a distant galaxy. Scientists have been amazed at the remarkable similarity between these little chaps and our own dominant lifeform.
Orum: The resemblance is unpleasant.
Vorg: These are the only Tellurians in captivity. Some scientists think that their discovery refutes Valdek's theory that life in the universe is infinitely variable. An even more interesting though less amusing form of life is the Ogron. (The picture changes.) They are of limited intelligence and are used as servants by some race called, er, Daleks, I believe. We will shortly be seeing the prize of my collection. The Drashigs!
Kalik: Drashigs?
Vorg: They are, without doubt, the most evil, the most vicious and undoubtedly the most frightening form of life in the whole of the universe!
Shirna: Oh look, there's one.
(Something with lots of eyes on stalks sinks into a mist.)
Kalik: Amazing.
Vorg: The Drashigs have no intelligence centre, unfortunately, so I cannot control their behaviour.
Orum: But these pictures, they are recorded, surely?
Vorg: Oh no, your worship. The Scope is good, old-fashioned live entertainment. The picture on the glo-sphere is an actual projection of what is now taking place deep down inside.
Kalik: Do you mean that all these creatures are living in there?
Vorg: Within their own miniaturised environments, of course
Carnival Of Monsters – Episode 3
Jo: Oh, Doctor, I've got to rest.
The Doctor: Yes, I'm beginning to feel the century's myself.
Jo: That, that swamp place. It wasn't the real outside, was it?
The Doctor: No. I thought it was at first, though.
Jo: But that hand, that came from the real outside, didn't it? The giants were trying to help us.
The Doctor: Yes. By jingo, I've got it! I know what this is.
Jo: What?
The Doctor: We're in a miniscope!
Jo: Miniscope?
The Doctor: Yes, you know, Jo, it's like, it's like one of those things, those glass cases that people keep colonies of ants in.
Jo: Well, yes, but I don't see. Well, wait a minute. Do you mean that that Major Daly and all those people on the ship are in a sort of a peepshow?
The Doctor: That's right, Jo, and you and I are inside its works.
Jo: And outside there are people and creatures just looking at us for kicks?
The Doctor: Very probably.
Jo: They must be evil and horrible.
The Doctor: No, not necessarily, Jo. Thoughtless, maybe.
Jo: Thoughtless?
The Doctor: Well, haven't you ever been to the zoo? Have you never kept goldfish in a bowl?
Jo: Well, yes, but that's slightly different. We're not animals.
The Doctor: We are to those creatures up there, Jo. Roll up! Roll up! Roll up! And see these funny little creatures in their native habitat! Watch them go through their funny little tricks! Poke them with a stick and make them jump!
Jo: Oh, stop it, Doctor. It's not funny.
The Doctor: No. Oh no, believe me, I'm just as angry as you are. As a matter of fact, I had a great deal to do with the banning of these miniscopes.
Jo: You did?
The Doctor: Yes, I did. I managed to persuade the High Council of the Time Lords they were an offence against the dignity of sentient lifeforms.
Jo: But I thought the Time Lords never interfered?
The Doctor: Yes, well, they don't as a rule. But, frankly, I made such a nuisance of myself. Well, they banned the things.
Carnival Of Monsters – Episode 4
Pletrac: The function of this tribunal is to keep this planet clean. This Tellurian creature comes from outside our solar system and is a possible carrier of contagion. Furthermore the creature may be hostile.
The Doctor: Would you kindly stop referring to me as "the creature", sir. Or I may well become exceedingly hostile!

Old 21st April 2019, 09:56 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 16

Clayton Hickman's cover art for the 2001 Big Finish audio play Blood Tide, featuring the sixth Doctor (Colin Baker) and the return of the Silurians.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bloodtide.jpg (92.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 22nd April 2019, 06:19 AM
Cult Master

Frontier In Space – Episode 1
The Doctor: There we go.
Jo: Doctor, what are you doing?
The Doctor: I'm reversing the polarity of my ultrasonic screwdriver's power source, thereby converting it into an extremely powerful electromagnet.
Jo: Oh. What good will that do?
The Doctor: You wait and see, Jo.
Frontier In Space – Episode 2
The Doctor: Hello, Jo.
Jo: Doctor, where've you been?
The Doctor: I've been paying a brief but unwilling visit to the Draconian embassy. And I'm afraid I had to leave in rather a hurry and found myself back here.
Jo: What happened?
The Doctor: Well, believe it or believe it not, Jo, they think we're working for General Williams and trying to provoke a war.
Jo: Oh no!
The Doctor: Yes, Earth is blaming Draconia and Draconia is blaming Earth.
Jo: And both sides are blaming us.
The Doctor: That's about it. What's the matter?
(A noise has started up somewhere.)
Jo: Well, that sound. The one I heard on the cargo ship. I think I can hear it again. (So can all the people in and around the security building. A guard briefly sees an Ogron, but it turns into a Draconian and he gets shot. Weapons fire continues as a pair of Ogrons lope through the stairways, burst into the cell block and shoot the guards outside the cell before blasting open the door.) Ogrons!
Ogron: You, come.
Frontier In Space – Episode 3
The Master: Penny for them, Miss Grant?
Jo: You. What are you doing here?
The Master: To coin a phrase. I've come to take you away from all this.
Jo: What are you talking about?
The Master: Well, surely you don't want to spend the rest of your life in here, do you?
Jo: Well, I'm not going anywhere with you, that's for sure.
The Master: Oh, but you are, you know. Believe it or not, I am a fully accredited Commissioner from the planet Sirius 4, and you and the Doctor are two dangerous criminals being handed over into my custody.
Jo: So it was you! You ordered those Ogrons to attack the ships and pretend they were Draconians!
The Master: But of course. Those lumbering idiots could never have thought up such a brilliant scheme by themselves.
Jo: Why did you want to start a war?
The Master: Now, come on, Miss Grant, be reasonable. You want to see the Doctor again, don't you?
Jo: Where is he?
The Master: He's in another prison, on the moon. We're going to collect him.
Jo: How do I know you're telling the truth?
The Master: You don't. And the only way you'll find out is by coming with me. Well?
Jo: How did you know we were here in the first place?
The Master: Well, after they'd attacked the cargo ships, the Ogrons returned to their planet, taking their loot with them. Now imagine my surprise, and my delight, when I found that they'd brought me the Doctor's Tardis.
Jo: And why are you taking us with you?
The Master: Oh, need you ask? How could I leave two dear friends in such dire straights?
Jo: Oh, you don't seriously think that I'm going to believe that you want to help us
The Master: Believe what you like, Miss Grant. I have my reasons. Now, are you coming, or do you really wish to vegetate in this hole for the rest of your natural?
Jo: Very well. I'll come.
The Master: Excellent! The prisoner and I are ready to leave now, guard.
Jo: Anywhere is better than here.
Frontier In Space – Episode 4
(In a hold is a barred cage with two beds. Jo is there. The Doctor is brought in, wearing his usual clothes.)
The Doctor: Hello, Jo.
Jo: Doctor!
The Doctor: How are you? All right?
Jo: Well
The Master: Right, they'll be plenty of time for the exchange of social pleasantries. Put him inside. (A guard opens the cage, the Doctor enters and is locked in.) Thank you, gentlemen. You can leave them to me now. (The guards leave.) Well, Doctor, this is an interesting reversal. I remember your once visiting me when I was in prison.
The Doctor: You know, I'd very much like to know why?
The Master: Why you've been locked up?
The Doctor: No. Why I'm still alive.
The Master: Oh, your health is very precious to me, for the moment. You see, my employers are most interested in you.
Jo: The Ogrons?
The Master: Miss Grant, please. I employ them.
The Doctor: Yes, well whatever it is you're up to, you needn't expect any help from me.
The Master: I don't need any help. Your simple presence will be quite enough. Oh, by the way, I need hardly warn you there is no point in trying to escape. This is an interplanetary police spaceship, specially built for carrying prisoners, as you can see.
The Doctor: Stolen, of course?
The Master: Of course. Oh, and another thing. There's a closed circuit television camera trained on you from up there, so you will be under continuous observation. I think that's all. Well now, if you'll excuse me, I have some rather complicated astro-navigational calculations to work out.
The Doctor: Er, may I ask where we're going?
The Master: Certainly. To the home of our friends, the Ogrons. A barren and uninteresting planet on the remote fringes of the galaxy.
Jo: Why are you taking us there?
The Master: That, Miss Grant, you will discover when you arrive.
(The Master leaves.)
Frontier In Space – Episode 5
The Master: Great lumbering idiots! Now you tell me that you've left one of your fellows in the palace. Do you realise what this means? As soon as the effect of the hypnosound wears off, the Draconians will know who it really was who attacked them. You've ruined everything!
Ogron: What shall we do now?
The Master: Do? There's only one thing we can do. Make sure that the Doctor and his evidence is never allowed to reach Earth
Frontier In Space – Episode 6
The Master: There's nothing to worry about. The Doctor will be perfectly safe in my hands. I promise you, when I deliver him to you, he'll be a broken man.
Dalek [OC]: Do not fail the Daleks.
The Master: The war is certain now. And once the great empires destroy each other, I ask but one thing. Let me rule the planet Earth in your name.

Old 22nd April 2019, 11:41 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 17

A second helping from the 1973 Radio Times special sees the Cybermen pursuing Ben (Michael Craze) and Polly (Anneke Wills) along the shore line.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 268eb773e361a6bbdf3502c928bf690fc5250d9c.jpg (74.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 22nd April 2019, 03:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Good and bad news. Bad in the sense that it means they haven't found any more episodes from it but obviously good as it is a cracking Story and as such a good choice to animate. If I recall correctly, this was where I firmly felt that Troughton became the Doctor. He seems to still be settling in throughout Power of the Daleks, The Highlanders and The Underwater Menace (at first I was actually missing Hartnell in comparison). But he gradually gets there in Moonbase "there are some corners of the Universe which have bred the most terrible things" and in Macra Terror. But by the end of The Faceless Ones, he starts taking effective control and begins playing off the bad guys against each other, before offering to open peaceful negotiations with the aliens. He didn't try and destroy them or get someone else to do it, he showed humanity and forgiveness, which is exactly what I'd expect the Doctor to do.

Regarding missing episodes, if any more have been found, then it remains likely that many of them or all of them will not be from Season 4. Season 4 sold badly compared to a lot of the other Seasons and most of the foreign archives have confirmed they destroyed all the prints. We only have the majority of the Troughton Season 4 episodes we have due to fan efforts in tracking them down, not the BBC. Underwater Menace 2, Moonbase 4 (I think, could have been episode 2, but I think a private collector returned the print), Faceless Ones 3 and Evil of the Daleks 2 were either returned by private collectors or found in car boot sales.

If anything, we are more likely to have episodes from Season 1, 2 and 5. Marco Polo, The Reign of Terror and The Crusade all sold well abroad. As for Season 5, Abominable Snowmen and Wheel in Space were supposed to be with Enemy of the World and Web of Fear when they were found. If anything, Phil Morris has a decent chance of tracking them down if he follows the trail they came from.
trebor8273, nosferatu42 and iank like this.
Old 22nd April 2019, 10:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

They do seem to have a yen for animating season 4, which may or may not suggest that they don't reckon much to the odds of finding them.

Like this? Share it using the links below!