Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28634Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2019, 09:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

Attack is my favourite Colin.
Old 26th April 2019, 05:34 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Episode 1
Duffy: Right, on your feet! Prisoners, forward. Prisoners numbers one seven double seven eight oh, one seven double seven eight one and one seven double seven eight two, sir.
The Doctor: We do have names, you know.
Shears: Just these three, Sergeant?
Duffy: Yes, sir.
Shears: All right, let's get on with it. I have to be back at HQ in ten minutes time. Evidence?
Duffy: Seven eight oh, Lodge, sir. Caught in possession of two tape recorders, one radio and a colour television set.
Shears: Anything to say?
Lodge: Well, yes. I, er, found the stuff, see. I was going to hand it in.
Shears: You've been found guilty of looting. Under the authority vested in me by the Emergency Powers Act, I'm issuing an order that you be held in a military detention centre for the duration of the emergency. You'll be handed over to the civil authorities for trial and sentence when time permits. Next!
Duffy: Seven eight one and seven eight two were caught together, sir, in possession of furs, jewels and stolen money.
Shears: Were they now?
Duffy: Yes, sir.
Shears: Anything to say?
Sarah: We found those things after someone else had stolen them.
Shears: And you were going hand them in?
Sarah: Yes.
Shears: Very original. You've been found guilty of looting.
The Doctor: Now just one moment.
Duffy: Hey, keep quiet.
Shears: Well, what is it?
The Doctor: Sir, I am the scientific advisor to UNIT, and I demand to be put in immediate touch with Brigadier Lethbridge Stewart.
Shears: I suppose he's an old friend of yours?
The Doctor: Yes, as a matter of fact he is.
Shears: How very interesting. You've been found guilty of looting. Under the authority vested in me by the Emergency Powers Act, I'm issuing an order that you'll be held in a military detention centre for the duration of the emergency. You will be handed over to the civil authorities for trial and sentence when time permits. Put them on the next transport for detention centre, will you?
Duffy: Sir.
Shears: I must be off.
Duffy: Attention!
Shears: Carry on, Sergeant.
(Shears leaves.)
Duffy: Right, back over there.
Lodge: See? I told you. Stuck in a detention camp for months. In prison.
Sarah: What are we going to do, Doctor? Nobody will listen to us.
The Doctor: (sotto) Tell me, my friend. What was that idea that you had about escaping?
Lodge: (sotto) Well, there's three of us. We could jump him.
The Doctor: (sotto) Oh, I think we can be a bit more original than that, can't we?
Lodge: (sotto) So what do we do, then?
The Doctor: (sotto) We have a fight.
Lodge: Eh?
The Doctor: You're the nark, aren't ya? It was you wot grassed on us!
Lodge: I never grassed in my life!
The Doctor: Yes, you did. Come on! On your feet! Come on, up!
Lodge: All right then, you great dressed up twit, you asked for it!
(The Doctor blocks the punch.)
The Doctor: (sotto) Steady.
(They exchange blows then Lodge starts to throttle the Doctor.)
Sarah: Guard, stop them! You have to stop them!
Soldier: Break it up! Break it up!
(The Doctor grabs the soldier with a nerve pinch to the back of the neck, and he collapses. Lodge takes his weapon.)
Lodge: What did you do?
The Doctor: Never mind that now. Come on, let's get out of here.
Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Episode 2
(The Doctor is trying to pick Sarah's handcuffs with a small screwdriver.)
Sarah: Ow!
The Doctor: Sorry. (He finally succeeds.) There we are. Right, now let's review the situation. A prehistoric monster's turned up in central London.
Sarah: Well, how how do you know it's only central London?
The Doctor: Because those soldiers were talking about the central zone, weren't they.
Sarah: But where did that monster come from?
The Doctor: That's a very good question, Sarah.
Sarah: Suppose suppose there was an egg, buried in the ground somewhere, and somehow or other it hatched out?
The Doctor: What, producing a sweet little baby monster?
Sarah: Yes. Ah. No. No, how would it grow to that size without anyone noticing.
The Doctor: Perhaps somebody kept it as a pet and turned it out when it got too big to feed.
Sarah: Oh.
The Doctor: Anyway, aren't you forgetting that pterodactyl that attacked us in the warehouse?
Sarah: I suppose you've got the explanation, then.
The Doctor: Yes, as a matter of fact, I think I have. (A man runs for the door.) Hello? Who are you?
Peasant: Back! Back, accursed wizard!
The Doctor: Wizard? I'm no wizard, I assure you. You've got no need to be frightened of me.
(The man produces a knife.)
Sarah: Doctor, be careful.
The Doctor: How did you get here?
Peasant: The witch. She's cast a spell on me. I'll tell the priest and have her burned!
The Doctor: Yes, yes, of course. Look, do you know what year it is?
Sarah: What's the name of the King?
Peasant: Well, Richard, of course. But he's in the Holy Land. John rules now. Look, take the curse off me, wizard. Send me home.
The Doctor: I only wish I could.
Peasant: Send me home. Send me home or you die!
The Doctor: I'm afraid I don't have that power.
(The man lunges at the Doctor. Sarah grabs him from behind, then a sound fills the workshop and she lets the man go. He moves back to near the door and disappears.)
Sarah: What happened? He was going to kill you.
The Doctor: Fascinating. Absolutely fascinating. That was a time eddy. For a moment there, time went backwards.
(A vehicle pulls up outside.)
Sarah: Doctor. (Sarah looks out through the doorway.) Soldiers. they're searching. They're coming nearer!
The Doctor: Can you bolt that door?
Sarah: No!
The Doctor: Hide. (They stand either side of the door. It opens, and the Doctor is about to give the person entering a karate chop when he sees who it is.) Hai! Brigadier.
The Brigadier: What do you think you're doing, Doctor?
Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Episode 3
(The Doctor checks that T Rex is secure in its chains in the main hangar, and surrounded by detectors.)
The Brigadier: All set up then, Doctor?
The Doctor: Yes, I think so. Mind you, that creature isn't what I wanted at all. What I really wanted was a brontosaurus.
The Brigadier: What's the difference?
The Doctor: The difference, Brigadier, is that the brontosaurus is a placid vegetarian, whereas the Tyrannosaurus is the largest and fiercest flesh eater ever known on your planet.
Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Episode 4
Sarah: Don't you think that people have a right to choose what kind of life they want?
Ruth: People on Earth were allowed to choose. And see what kind of a world they made. Moral degradation, permissiveness, usury, cheating, lying, cruelty.
Sarah: There's also a lot of love and kindness and honesty. You've got a warped view of things.
Ruth: You mustn't say such things.
Sarah: I'll say whatever I like.
Mark: The strain of reawakening must have disturbed her mind.
Sarah: There's nothing wrong with my mind.
Adam: I was assured that everyone had been most carefully selected. I don't think you're going to be happy with us. If you feel like this, why did you join us?
Sarah: I didn't join you. I was brought here against my will.
Ruth: We shall have to do something about this. She'll be a disruptive influence.
Adam: I think you'd better come with me.
Sarah: Where to?
Ruth: You can't be allowed to go about saying these things. You'll have to be re-educated
Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Episode 5
Sarah: Now will you believe me?
Mark: There must be some explanation.
Sarah: Mark, where is this planet we're heading for?
Mark: In another solar system close to Earth.
Sarah: The nearest possible solar system to us is four light years away. With the most advanced spaceships developed, it would take hundreds of years to reach there.
Mark: One of our members invented a new space drive.
Sarah: Do you see that bruise? I got that just before I was kidnapped and brought here. Now if I'd been here three months, it would have gone.
Mark: You were in suspended animation.
Sarah: Oh, Mark! I've only been here a matter of hours. All right. All right, if we're in space, how did I get here?
Mark: You must have been transferred from one of the other ships.
Sarah: There aren't any other ships. All this is a fake! We're not on a spaceship at all.
Mark: Oh, that is ridiculous!
Sarah: I'll prove it to you. I'm going out through that airlock!
Mark: That opens directly out into space. You'll be killed.
Sarah: No, I won't, because the whole set up is a fake. Now go out there and watch.
Invasion Of The Dinosaurs – Episode 6
Whitaker: Everything's ready.
Grover: General Finch should be here.
Whitaker: I hope you don't propose to wait. The timing is crucial.
Grover: He must be somewhere in the area. So long as he's in the protective field, he'll be all right.
Adam: Stop! We shall have no part in this.
(The people from the spaceship enter. Mark grabs Whitaker before he can pull a lever.)
Ruth: You've cheated us.
Grover: My friends, listen to me. I have not cheated you. Let Professor Whitaker pull that lever and you shall have the golden age that I promised you.
Adam: You're going to destroy all the civilisations of man. Leaving Earth for another planet, that was one thing, but this is evil!
Grover: Civilisation has already destroyed man. It's time to make a fresh start. If we take the Earth back in time, we can guide man onto a better path.
(The Doctor enters.)
Sarah: Oh, Doctor!
Grover: Congratulations, Doctor. You're just in time to be present at the most important moment in the world's history.
The Doctor: On the contrary, I'm just in time to prevent an atrocity.
(The Brigadier and Benton enter with a couple of soldiers.)
The Brigadier: Don't move, any of you! Benton.
(Whitaker throws off Mark and pulls a lever. A fierce time eddy fills the room, freezing everyone. Only the Doctor is unaffected, who pushes against the effect to put the lever back where it was. Then the Doctor goes to another panel and flicks some switches. Grover dives for the lever again.)
Whitaker: No! He's reversed the polarity!
(Whitaker and Grover fight over the lever.)
The Doctor: Keep back!
(Grover pulls the lever down again, and he and Whitaker and the console disappear.)
Sarah: Well, where've they gone?
The Doctor: Back to their golden age. And I hope they like it.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th April 2019, 12:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 21

Clara (Jenna Coleman) at the controls of a TARDIS in Hell Bent (2015)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12 and co. (1) (Large).jpg (70.4 KB, 42 views)
Old 26th April 2019, 09:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I've always rather enjoyed Attack of the Cybermen + Revelation of the Daleks. The Twin Dilemma certainly would've been a perfect story for Jodie Whittaker's highly lame PC monstrosity of a season. A Twin Dilemma indeed. Instead of Romulus and Remus, we have Tweedledum (Whittaker) and Tweedledee (Chibnall) Very fitting.
Twin Dilemma is far from perfect, but I honestly think its much better than anything from Series 11. It at least got me to laugh at it a lot, which technically got me more engaged in it more than any Whittaker episode did.

As for Attack of the Cybermen and Revelation of the Daleks, both are okay, especially Attack episode 1, which was amazing. Its sad we only got two Stories with Lytton, he should have had at least one more.
Old 27th April 2019, 05:48 AM
Cult Master

Death To The Daleks – Episode 1
The Doctor: Listen.
Sarah: I can't hear anything.
The Doctor: Yes, exactly. Not a click, not a tick. Nothing. The TARDIS is a living thing, with thousands of instruments. Its energy sources never stop.
Sarah: Well, they have now. Everything's completely dead.
Death To The Daleks – Episode 2
Dalek 1: The Earth creatures are to be exterminated! Fire at my command!
Railton: Wait a minute! Wait! You can't!
Dalek 1: Total extermination! Fire, fire, fire! [the Dalek weapons pulse as they fire continuously. Jill Tarrant cowers against the Doctor. The Doctor closes his eyes, then slowly peeks out from one, noticing they still are alive] Maximum power! Fire! Fire! Fire! [the Dalek weapons again pulse ineffectively, dry-firing] Weaponry malfunction.
Dalek 2: Total power failure in armament circuit.
[They stop attempting to fire]
The Doctor: [approaches the Daleks] Well, well, well. Daleks without the power to kill. How does it feel?
Dalek 1: Keep away. Keep away!
The Doctor: And if I don't, what will you do? Your weapons are totally useless, affected by the same energy blackout that has stranded us.
Dalek 2: The power failure is temporary! Superior Dalek technology will overcome interference shortly! Meanwhile, you will obey our orders!
The Doctor: [firmly] You're not in a position to give any orders. No, no, we're all in this together. All equal, all powerless!
Dalek 1: The Daleks are the supreme beings of the Universe. Dalek technology is the...
Railton: [steps forward] Spare us the propaganda. I think our best interest will be served by joining forces.
Dalek 1: Daleks do not require the co-operation of inferior creatures.
Railton: Think about it. There are four of you and five of us, and this planet is swarming with creatures that want to destroy us. That's a fact that must penetrate even Dalek arrogance.
Dalek 1: We will confer.
Death To The Daleks – Episode 3
Dalek: The Exxilons are working too slowly.
Galloway: Well, with the primitive equipment they're using, I'm not surprised.
Dalek: Then the workforce must be increased. You will arrange it.
Galloway: Look, the High Priest wasn't all that cooperative. We were lucky to get this many workers.
Dalek: More workers! More workers! More! Exxilons will obey our commands!
Galloway: And if they don't?
Dalek: Their leaders will be exterminated.
Galloway: But we made an agreement.
Dalek: It was expedient. You will advise the High Priest that his people will comply with Dalek law or suffer the consequences.
Galloway: I can't tell him that!
Dalek: You will obey! You will obey! You will obey! You will obey! You will obey!
(The Dalek glides off.)
Galloway: All right, you lot. Put your backs into it. Get going. Come on! You're idle, idle, idle!
Death To The Daleks – Episode 4
Dalek: Work to commence at dawn. Move! Move! [Exxilons moan and disperse. Dalek approaches where Jill Tarrant is kept] Move! Move! [Dalek uses manipulator arm to awaken Jill under the blanket, but she is not there] Human female has escaped! I have failed! [backing away] Female prisoner has escaped! I have failed! [spinning, wailing] I have failed! Self destruct! I have failed! Destruct! I have failed! I have failed! I've failed! I've failed! I, I, I, I... [Dalek slows, pitch dropping] I... I... I... I... [Dalek dies]

Old 27th April 2019, 09:51 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rererererewatching Genesis. Wisher is Davros. The rest were just playing a part. The most malicious character in "children's" tv?? Plus the ever odious Peter Miles slithering about in the background (his comments during the comm are worth a listen )
Ahem. My quinth favourite story
trebor8273, Gothmogxx and Graeme73 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th April 2019, 11:30 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 22

Andrew Skilleter's 1982 artwork for the Target book reprint of The Abominable Snowmen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg abominable-snowman.jpg (81.6 KB, 30 views)
Old 27th April 2019, 12:14 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Andrew Skilleter's 1982 artwork for the Target book reprint of The Abominable Snowmen.
This book contains some dialogue that made me fall about laughing when I first read it:

Jamie: Have you thought up some clever plan, Doctor?
The Doctor: Yes, Jamie, I believe I have.
Jamie: What are you going to do?
The Doctor: Bung a rock at it.

Old 28th April 2019, 05:00 AM
Cult Master

The Monster Of Peladon – Episode 1
Sarah: Well, Doctor?
The Doctor: This way, I think.
Sarah: We're lost.
The Doctor: Mislaid, possibly.
Sarah: Oh, why don't we just go back to the Tardis?
The Doctor: For two good reasons. One, that I don't want to leave Peladon without having a word with my good friend, the King.
Sarah: Name dropper.
The Doctor: And second.
Sarah: What?
The Doctor: We are lost. Come on.
The Monster Of Peladon – Episode 2
Sarah: Oh. Ow.
The Doctor: Are you all right, Sarah?
Sarah: Well, I don't think anything's broken. What are they going to do, just leave us here?
The Doctor: No, I think there's more to it than that.
Sarah: Oo, that smell. It's sort of musky, like the lion house at the zoo. (Roar.) Oh, Doctor, there's something in here with us. Something alive!
The Doctor: Yes, I know. Now don't move, Sarah.
The Monster Of Peladon – Episode 3
The Doctor: I'll just have quick word with the Ambassador and then I'll be off. Sarah, why don't you, er, why don't you stay and have a few words with the Queen? I have an idea you could give her some good advice.
Sarah: Oh.
(The Doctor leaves.)
Thalira: What advice did the Doctor mean?
Sarah: Well, it's going to be rather difficult to explain but I think he was referring to Women's Lib.
Thalira: And what's that?
Sarah: Women's liberation, your Majesty. On Earth it means well, very briefly, it means that we women don't let men push us around.
Thalira: It's not like that on Peladon. The ruler is always a man. I was only crowned because my father had no son. It's Ortron who holds the real power.
Sarah: Well, only if you let him. You've just got to stand up for yourself.
Thalira: It would be different if I was a man. But I'm only a girl.
Sarah: Now just a minute. There's nothing only about being a girl, your Majesty. Never mind why they made you a Queen, the fact is you are the Queen, so just you jolly well let them know it.
The Monster Of Peladon – Episode 4
Azaxyr: Let us see what has emerged. (to Ortron) You say that the miners have rebelled against their proper rulers. But Gebek here says that the nobles have cheated them of their rights. You say that the Doctor here is a spy and a saboteur. But the Ambassador says that he is an old and valued friend. (to Gebek) You say that your god appears to you because he is angry, but the Doctor here is sure that the appearances are caused by trickery.
The Doctor: An excellent summing up, Commander Azaxyr. Do you know, you'd have made a very good judge?
Azaxyr: You forget, Doctor, I am your judge, your jury and executioner too. Perhaps. Only Engineer Eckersley here says nothing and accuses nobody.
Eckersley: Look, all this argy-bargy's nothing to do with me. I came here to do a job. I just wish people would let me get on with it.
Azaxyr: Excellent. A splendid example to you all. Now listen to me, all of you. I am not concerned with the situation here on Peladon. One thing concerns me and one thing only. The Federation must have the trisilicate it needs.
The Doctor: Yes, but it's the situation on Peladon that is stopping you getting the trisilicate.
Azaxyr: Precisely, Doctor, and let me suggest a simple solution. (to Gebek) Your miners will return to work immediately. And they will work under armed guards which you will provide. (to Ortron) And if they refuse to work, they will be killed.
Gebek: My miners are united and will defy you, Commander!
Ortron: I refuse to allow my troops to kill their countrymen at the orders of an alien power.
Sarah: (sotto) He was willing enough to do it on his own account.
The Doctor: (sotto) That was different.
Azaxyr: Have the hostages been taken?
Sskel: Yes, Commander.
Azaxyr: Until the miners return to work, a number of selected hostages will be executed each day.
The Monster Of Peladon – Episode 5
Sarah: You killed him! You killed the Doctor!
Azaxyr: I was defending the safety of the Citadel. The death of the Doctor was an unfortunate necessity. You would do well to accept the situation.
(Azaxyr turns off the monitor. In the cave, the sonic lance is a twisted wreck and Ettis cannot be seen. The Doctor lies still nearby, face down.)
Sarah: You still haven't won, you know? The rebels control the mines and you can't go down there because of the heat.
Azaxyr: But we have switched off the heating controls. We merely have to wait for the temperature to return to normal.
The Monster Of Peladon – Episode 6
(Sarah looks through the hole in the door then enters. The Doctor is motionless in the chair. Just as she leans over him, crying, he opens his eyes.)
Sarah: Oh!
The Doctor: Tears? (The Doctor wipes moisture from his face.)[/I] Anyone would think you thought I was dead.
Sarah: Well, of course I did. You looked dead.
The Doctor: Well, even I couldn't stand the row from Eckersley's patent alarm system any longer, so I put myself into a complete sensory withdrawal.
Sarah: What?
The Doctor: Well, a sort of trance. I shut myself off.
Sarah: You did it on purpose? You mean I had all that worry for nothing!
The Doctor: Well, don't sound so aggrieved. Anybody would think you prefer me dead. Come on, let's go and find the others

Old 28th April 2019, 11:27 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 23

Tom Baker as the Doctor in a promotional photo for the opening story of The Key to Time season, The Ribos Operation (1978)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4272cbf8803f61a6b081f9d9e38181b22ebb67ea.jpg (90.3 KB, 24 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!