Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28503Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2019, 05:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Rererererewatching Genesis. Wisher is Davros. The rest were just playing a part. The most malicious character in "children's" tv?? Plus the ever odious Peter Miles slithering about in the background (his comments during the comm are worth a listen )
Ahem. My quinth favourite story
"To hold in my hand, a capsule that contained such power. To know that life and death on such a scale was my choice. To know that the tiny pressure on my thumb, enough to break the glass, would end everything. Yes! I would do it! That power would set me up above the gods! And through the Daleks, I! SHALL! HAVE! THAT! POWER!"

A masterpiece in TV, not just as a Doctor Who Story, but as TV full stop. its unmatched by 99% of other Doctor Who Stories, only the smallest handful either match it or arguably surpass it.
Old 28th April 2019, 06:06 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
"To hold in my hand, a capsule that contained such power. To know that life and death on such a scale was my choice. To know that the tiny pressure on my thumb, enough to break the glass, would end everything. Yes! I would do it! That power would set me up above the gods! And through the Daleks, I! SHALL! HAVE! THAT! POWER!"
No fair jumping the gun!

I've got that lined up for my 'Episode 5' of 'Genesis Of The Daleks' quotes!
Demoncrat and Gothmogxx like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 28th April 2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 28th April 2019, 06:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
" Crush the lesser races. Conquer the galaxy. Unimaginable power. Unlimited rice pudding, et cetera, et cetera."

Old 28th April 2019, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Whilst I don't quite agree with the best ever epithet for Genesis, it always does the job in this lair.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th April 2019, 09:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Whilst I don't quite agree with the best ever epithet for Genesis, it always does the job in this lair.
So what might be your best ever, D?

Myself? Well i think it's Remembrance of the Daleks. Unlimited rice pudding and all.
Demoncrat and iank like this.
Old 29th April 2019, 05:32 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
Planet Of The Spiders – Episode 1
Clegg: I'm sorry. I, I saw, well, just fantasies.
The Brigadier: Don't worry, Professor. You're doing very well.
The Doctor: Indeed you are, Professor. Indeed you are. (The Doctor takes back his screwdriver.) Now, er, do you feel up to bending the odd fork?
(Benton enters with a package.)
Benton: Doctor, I. Ah, doing a bit of hairdressing on the side, eh?
The Brigadier: Benton.
Benton: Sorry, sir. I didn't see you there.
The Brigadier: What do you want?
Benton: Well, this package, sir. It's just arrived by express post. I thought it may be urgent.
The Brigadier: Well, for the Doctor or for me?
Benton: Well, that's just it. It's addressed to the Doctor or The Brigadier or Captain Yates or, er, Sergeant Benton. It's from South America, sir.
The Doctor: What, from Jo?
Benton: I reckon so.
The Doctor: Well, let's take a look. (The Doctor is about to open the package when he stops.) Oh, no, wait a minute. I've got a better idea. Er, Mister Clegg, would you like to tell us what's inside this package?
Clegg: This has come a long way.
The Brigadier: Yes, of course, from the Amazon. Sergeant Benton just told you.
The Doctor: Brigadier, please.
Clegg: From beyond the stars. Could it be a meteorite? Oh, it's beautiful. A gemstone. A blue jewel.
The Brigadier: Lord, not that stone of yours?
The Doctor: The crystal from Metebelis Three. Thank you, Mister Clegg. Let's take a look, shall we? (The Doctor opens the package and takes out the large stone.) Well, well, well.
Planet Of The Spiders – Episode 2
Sarah: You know, this is barmy. Here am I, calmly discussing fabulous planets with blue moons, giant spiders, magic crystals, as if I was talking about er, pussycats, fish and chips and the Liverpool docks.
The Doctor: Well, they're just as real.
Sarah: Oh, I know, but that's what gets me.
Planet Of The Spiders – Episode 3
Queen: We are successful?
Spider: Totally. The crystal is ours.
Queen: You have done well.
Spider : I thank you, O Queen.
Queen: Now you must prepare to return, bringing the crystal with you.
Spider: It shall be done.
Lupton: What about me? I am to be forgotten?
Queen: You are not necessary!
Lupton: Oh, but I am. Without me, you would never have recovered your precious crystal. I've been your friend.
Queen: A friend? A two leg dares to claim friendship with the eight legs, the noble ones?
Spider: He means no harm, O Queen, and it is true that he has served us well.
Queen: Very well. His reward will be to serve us further. We could use him in the great work, the conquest of Earth.
Spider: Conquest?
Queen: This is the secret purpose of the Great One.
Council: All praise to the Great One!
Queen: That is why she requires the crystal. We shall return to our rightful home, Earth, as rulers. We have exhausted our power. Be ready to return. Be ready.
Planet Of The Spiders – Episode 4
Sabor: The eight legs? Why they came from Earth too.
Sarah: But there aren't any spiders as big as these on Earth.
Sabor: Keep your voice down, my child. That word's forbidden here. But you're quite right. An ordinary eight legs, he must have been blown by the wind out of that crashed ship up in the mountains. There are blue crystals there. They have strange powers.
Sarah: Oh, you don't have to tell me that.
Sabor: Ah, then you must know that these crystals can enlarge the mind. Over the years, these spiders became cleverer and cleverer and larger and larger. By the time man found out, it were too late.

Planet Of The Spiders – Episode 5
The Doctor: [being held captive in a giant cobweb] Now I know what a fly feels like. An absolutely fascinating experience.
Planet Of The Spiders – Episode 6
The Brigadier: Hello, Miss Smith.
Sarah: Oh, hello, Brigadier. I just thought I'd pop in and. Well, to tell you the truth, I don't quite know why I did pop in, actually.
The Brigadier: To see if there was any sign of the old fellow, eh?
Sarah: Yes. But there can't be, can there? I mean, he's been gone over three weeks now.
The Brigadier: Oh, that's nothing. One time I didn't see him for months. And what's more, when he did turn up, he had a new face. Could have been a completely different man.
Sarah: No. he knew if he went back there he would destroy himself. We'll never see him again. (The Tardis materialises and the Doctor almost falls out of the doorway.) Doctor!
The Doctor: Hello, Sarah. I got lost in the time vortex. The Tardis brought me home.
(The Doctor steps out of the Tardis and falls onto the floor. The Brigadier puts a cushion under his head.)
Sarah: Oh! Oh, Doctor, why did you have to go back?
The Doctor: I had to face my fear, Sarah. I had to face my fear. That was more important than just going on living.
Sarah: Please, don't die.
The Doctor: A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. While there's life there's
Sarah: No.
(She closes the Doctor's eyes. There is a faint buzzing sound, then K'Anpo-Cho-Je appears, sitting cross-legged in midair.)
Cho-Je: It's all right. He is not dead.
Sarah: Oh no. I don't think I can take much more.
Cho-Je: I am sorry to have startled you, my dear.
The Brigadier: Won't you introduce me to your friend, Miss Smith?
Sarah: Oh, er, yes. This is the Abbot of. No, it's Cho-Je. I mean, it looks like Cho-Je but it is really K'Anpo Rinpoche. I think.
The Brigadier: Thank you. That makes everything quite clear.
Cho-Je: The Doctor is alive.
Sarah: No, you're wrong. He's dead.
Cho-Je: All the cells of his body have been devastated by the Metebelis crystals, but you forget, he is a Time Lord. I will give the process a little push and the cells will regenerate. He will become a new man.
The Brigadier: Literally?
Cho-Je: Of course, he will look quite different.
The Brigadier: Not again.
Cho-Je: And it will shake up the brain cells a little. You may find his behaviour somewhat erratic.
Sarah: When will all this happen?
Cho-Je: Well there's no time like the present, is there. (Cho-Je aims his fingers at the Doctor, then fades away.) Goodbye. Look after him.
The Brigadier: Now wait a moment.
Sarah: Look, Brigadier. Look. I think it's starting.
The Brigadier: Well, here we go again.
(The silver wavy hair becomes brown wavy hair, and the face becomes younger. Number Four Doctor has arrived.)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th April 2019, 11:32 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 24

A promotional photo of William Russell as Ian Chesterton for the very first Doctor Who story An Unearthly Child (1963)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg anunearthlychild (2).jpg (50.3 KB, 28 views)
Old 29th April 2019, 05:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So what might be your best ever, D?

Myself? Well i think it's Remembrance of the Daleks. Unlimited rice pudding and all.
Talons. Well, it's my favourite anyhow

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2019, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Talons. Well, it's my favourite anyhow
Good call.

Mr. Sin scared the life out of me as a kid. Stalking Leela with knife drawn was too much for the young Dem when it was first shown.
Old 29th April 2019, 08:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed. For me, twas Fang Rock ... now I can just admire its charnel house qualities

Rewatched Destiny Of The Daleks. Lalla Ward's first story (as Romana cough). A story of bits really. A bit of Asimov ... a bit of Adams ... well, quite a lot of Adams if you listen to the comm ... ahem. Movellans. I like saying it. Yes, they resembleth a Brit funk band a tad, but that adds to the fun imho. Plus the old Cyclops is back... a bit dustier but still as malevolent as ever (a touch broader though, I notices) ... it's fun to watch them spar. Plus it's got that line
nosferatu42 and iank like this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!