Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th August 2019, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

JNT wanted cheap flights
Same with Peri. Created to appeal to the legions of septic fans

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th August 2019, 05:39 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Parting Of The Ways
The Doctor: Do you know what they call me in the ancient legends of the Dalek Homeworld? The Oncoming Storm. You might've removed all your emotions but I reckon right down deep in your DNA, there's one little spark left, and that's fear. Doesn't it just burn when you face me? So tell me. How did you survive the Time War?
Emperor [OC]: They survived through me.
(The lights come up to reveal a large apparatus, which on closer inspection is an exploded giant Dalek casing, and a blue-skinned one-eyed mutant is happy for everyone to see it sitting there as if on its throne..)
The Doctor: Rose, Captain, this is the Emperor of the Daleks.
Emperor: You destroyed us, Doctor. The Dalek race died in your inferno, but my ship survived, falling through time, crippled but alive.
The Doctor: I get it.
Dalek: Do not interrupt.
Dalek 2: Do not interrupt.
Dalek 3: Do not interrupt.
The Doctor: I think you're forgetting something. I'm the Doctor, and if there's one thing I can do, it's talk. I've got five billion languages, and you haven't got one way of stopping me. So if anybody's going to shut up, it's you! Okey doke. So, where were we?
Emperor: We waited here in the dark space, damaged but rebuilding. Centuries passed, and we quietly infiltrated the systems of Earth, harvesting the waste of humanity. The prisoners, the refugees, the dispossessed. They all came to us. The bodies were filtered, pulped, sifted. The seed of the human race is perverted. Only one cell in a billion was fit to be nurtured.
The Doctor: So you created an army of Daleks out of the dead.
Rose: That makes them half human.
Emperor: Those words are blasphemy.
Dalek: Do not blaspheme.
Dalek 2: Do not blaspheme.
Dalek 3: Do not blaspheme.
Emperor: Everything human has been purged. I cultivated pure and blessed Dalek.
The Doctor: Since when did the Daleks have a concept of blasphemy?
Emperor: I reached into the dirt and made new life. I am the God of all Daleks!
Daleks: Worship him. Worship him. Worship him.
The Doctor: They're insane. Hiding in silence for hundreds of years, that's enough to drive anyone mad. But it's worse than that. Driven mad by your own flesh. The stink of humanity. You hate your own existence. And that makes them more deadly than ever

Jack: Doctor, you've got twenty seconds maximum!
(The Tardis hurtles through time, all the time sending energy into Rose.
Jack runs out of bullets. He throws away the machine gun and takes out a pistol. Then that too is empty.)

Dalek: Exterminate.
Jack: I kind of figured that.
(The blast throws Jack back into the lift.)
The Doctor: It's ready! (The Daleks enter from all sides.) You really want to think about this, because if I activate the signal, every living creature dies.
Emperor [on viewscreen]: I am immortal.
The Doctor: Do you want to put that to the test?
Emperor [on viewscreen]: I want to see you become like me. Hail the Doctor, the Great Exterminator.
The Doctor: I'll do it!
Emperor [on viewscreen]: Then prove yourself, Doctor. What are you, coward or killer?
(But he cannot throw the final switch.)
The Doctor: Coward. Any day.
Emperor [on viewscreen]: Mankind will be harvested because of your weakness.
The Doctor: And what about me? Am I becoming one of your angels?
Emperor [on viewscreen]: You are the heathen. You will be exterminated.
The Doctor: Maybe it's time.
(The Doctor closes his eyes, and the Tardis materialises behind him.)
Dalek: Alert! Tardis materialising!
Emperor [on viewscreen]: You will not escape!
(The Tardis doors open. Rose is silhouetted in a blinding golden light. Energy tendrils snake outwards.)
The Doctor: What've you done?
Rose: I looked into the Tardis, and the Tardis looked into me.
The Doctor: You looked into the Time Vortex. Rose, no one's meant to see that.
Emperor [on viewscreen]: This is the Abomination!
Dalek: Exterminate!
(Rose stops the beam with her hand.)
Rose: I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself. I take the words, I scatter them in time and space. A message to lead myself here.
The Doctor: Rose, you've got to stop this. You've got to stop this now. You've got the entire vortex running through your head. You're going to burn.
Rose: I want you safe. My Doctor. Protected from the false god.
Emperor [on viewscreen]: You cannot hurt me. I am immortal.
Rose: You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space. Every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. (A Dalek disintegrates gently.) Everything must come to dust. All things. Everything dies. The Time War ends.
(The Daleks crumble.)

Rose: What happened?
The Doctor: Don't you remember?
Rose: It's like there was this singing.
The Doctor: That's right. I sang a song and the Daleks ran away.
Rose: I was at home. No, I wasn't, I was in the Tardis, and there was this light. I can't remember anything else
(The Doctor's skin is darkening.)
The Doctor: Rose Tyler. I was going take you to so many places. Barcelona. Not the city Barcelona, the planet Barcelona. You'd love it. Fantastic place. They've got dogs with no noses. Imagine how many times a day you end up telling that joke, and it's still funny.
Rose: Then, why can't we go?
The Doctor: Maybe you will, and maybe I will. But not like this.
Rose: You're not making sense.
The Doctor: I might never make sense again. I might have two heads, or no head. Imagine me with no head. And don't say that's an improvement. But it's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're going to end up with
(The Doctor double over in pain.)
Rose: Doctor!
The Doctor: Stay away!
Rose: Doctor, tell me what's going on.
The Doctor: I absorbed all the energy of the Time Vortex, and no one's meant to do that. Every cell in my body's dying.
Rose: Can't you do something?
The Doctor: Yeah, I'm doing it now. Time Lords have this little trick, it's sort of a way of cheating death. Except it means I'm going to change, and I'm not going to see you again. Not like this. Not with this daft old face. And before I go
Rose: Don't say that.
The Doctor: Rose, before I go, I just want to tell you, you were fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. And do you know what? So was I. (Golden light burst out of the Doctor's body. This is not a nice quiet regeneration of the usual kind. Everything changes very suddenly and the tenth Doctor is standing there. Everyone say Hi! to David Tennant using a South London accent instead of his natural Scottish burr.) Hello. Okay. Ooo, new teeth. That's weird. So, where was I? Oh, that's right. Barcelona.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th August 2019, 10:27 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 121

Lee Binding's original artwork for the 2017 novel The Shining Man.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg d96d2dbc6c3d78e8b1da3a6bb14e9cda.jpg (96.8 KB, 28 views)
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th August 2019, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Second Doctor Patrick Troughton in a promotional image for his final story the epic ten parter The War Games (1969)

Also in the photo - A Yeti, Dalek, Ice Warrior, Cyberman and a Quark.

The War Games is a masterpiece. There are occasions where I dither between something is worth a 9 or a 10 (I mean there's always going to be mistakes, even in a 10/10 serial, but you can't hate something like Caves of Androzani or Mind of Evil because of the Magma Creature or the Chinese Dragon Hallucination) but The War Games is an exception: its 10 episodes and over 4 hours long but I can easily sit through it in one sitting, which always feels like it flies by (unlike certain 2 parters cough Edge of Destruction, The Awakening cough).

But... That promo implies that literally every main monster from the Troughton era is in it (and not in a courtroom flashback as was shown). Could you imagine that was how it played out? You could keep the basic plot with the War Lord, War Chief and Security Chief stealing people out of time but instead of just WW1 soliders, it could also be Daleks. Cybermen. Yeti: all of them in the picture. That... Would have been a sight to see (and very feasonibly have been the first fight between Daleks and Cybermen instead of in Doomsday).

But that's not to criticise what we got: what we got is top 10 Doctor Who of all time material. For me its unquestionably better than most final Stories, with the (possible) exception of The Caves of Androzani and Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways. I think I might (its very close between them) prefer World Enough and Time/The Doctor Falls but hey, they really screwed up by not having that as the regeneration story eh?
Old 5th August 2019, 04:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Martha (Freema Agyeman) in the TARDIS in Utopia (2007)

Utopia was amazing. When I saw it I had no idea who the Master was (I was in Primary 5 and had only seen New Who) but the final 5 minutes had me sold. Classic villain. I often wonder, much as I love Simm, what it would have been like had Jacobi not regenerated almost immediately...
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 5th August 2019, 04:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Watching The Green Death

Another ending. That flying beastie cough. Welsh people on TV. I always enjoyed the novel.
When the working class start turning up dead, UNIT send The Doctor to the land of leeks to stir the pot. What he finds is a faceless corporation (BOO HISS etc) bent on the old domination lark. Mix in some hippie scum, and you have a classic piece of marxist propaganda, er, childrens entertainment COUGH.
Best departure of any companion ever. I had previously thought that Rose's was equal or better, but as amazing as it is, I rewatched Doomsday the other month and it didn't have the same impact. Jo leaving however gets me crying every time (so does Adric for that matter, even if he does have his annoying moments)
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 5th August 2019, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Finished off The Masque of Mandragora last night.

A beautiful slice of Who Gothic that you'd never know wasn't filmed in Italy thanks to it's delightful Portmeirion location work.

The story i suppose isn't anything special but it's one i love thanks to it's Poe influences and it's Occult sub plot. As for the masks at the Masque and in the Occult rites? Well they are terrific. I was terrified as a kid and they still stand up today i feel as creations as good as any from pretty much any horror production both then and now.
Its not an absolute favourite of mine, but its production values and location work are near unmatched. And yeah the masks are terrific. The cliff hanger to episode 3 in particular always stays with me.
Old 6th August 2019, 05:20 AM
Cult Master

Looks like the next special edition of the DWM, in the shops from August 8th, is going to based around the Target books

Mojo and nosferatu42 like this.

Old 6th August 2019, 05:52 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Christmas Invasion
(Dressing gown on, the Doctor leads the trio out. Down on the ground, three Santa's gaze up, one holding a radio controller.)
Mickey: That's them. What are they?
Rose: Shush!
(The Doctor aims the screwdriver at them and the Santa's back away. Then they are beamed away.)
Mickey: They've just gone. What kind of rubbish were they? I mean, no offence, but they're not much cop if a sonic screwdriver's going to scare them off.
The Doctor: Pilot fish.
Rose: What?
The Doctor: They were just pilot fish.
(The Doctor is in pain.)
Rose: What's wrong?
The Doctor: You woke me up too soon. I'm still regenerating. I'm bursting with energy. (He exhales the golden energy.) You see? The pilot fish could smell it a million miles away. So they eliminate the defence, that's you lot, and they carry me off. They could run their batteries on me for a couple of ow!
Jackie: Oh! Oh! Oh!
The Doctor: My head! I'm having a neuron implosion. I need
Jackie: What do you need?
The Doctor: I need
Jackie: Say it. Tell me, tell me, tell me.
Jackie: Painkillers?
Jackie: Do you need aspirin?
Jackie: Codeine? Paracetamol? Oh, I don't know, Pepto-Bismol?
Jackie: Liquid paraffin. Vitamin C? Vitamin D? Vitamin E?
Jackie: Is it food? Something simple. Bowl of soup. A nice bowl of soup? Soup and a sandwich? Soup and a little ham sandwich?
The Doctor: I need you to shut up.
Jackie: Oh, he hasn't changed that much, has he?
The Doctor: We haven't got much time. If there's pilot fish, then. Why's there an apple in my dressing gown?
Jackie: Oh, that's Howard. Sorry.
The Doctor: He keeps apples in his dressing gown?
Jackie: He gets hungry.
The Doctor: What, he gets hungry in his sleep?
Jackie: Sometimes.
The Doctor: Argh! Brain collapsing. The pilot fish. The pilot fish mean that something, something, something is coming.
(The Doctor passes out.)

Alex: Did you think you were clever with your stolen words? We are the Sycorax, we stride the darkness. Next to us you are but a wailing child. If you are the best your planet can offer as a champion
Sycorax: Then your world will be gutted
Alex: Then your world will be gutted
Sycorax: And your people enslaved.
Alex: Hold on, that's English.
Harriet: He's talking English.
Rose: You're talking English.
Sycorax: I would never dirty my tongue with your primitive bile.
Rose: That's English. Can you hear English?
Mickey: Yeah, that's English.
Alex: Definitely English.
Sycorax: I speak only Sycoraxic!
Rose: If I can hear English, then it's being translated. Which means it's working. Which means
(Everyone turns to look at the Tardis. The Doctor opens the doors.)
The Doctor: Did you miss me? (The Sycorax cracks his whip. The Doctor catches the end and pulls it out of his hand.) You could have someone's eye out with that.
Sycorax: How dare!
(The Doctor takes a thick club off another Sycorax and breaks it across his knee.)
The Doctor: You just can't get the staff. Now, you, just wait. I'm busy. Mickey, hello! And Harriet Jones MP for Flydale North. Blimey, it's like This Is Your Life. Tea! That's all I needed, a good cup of tea! Superheated infusion of free radicals and tannin. Just the thing for healing the synapses. Now, first thing's first. Be honest, how do I look?
Rose: Er, different.
The Doctor: Good different or bad different?
Rose: Just different.
The Doctor: Am I ginger?
Rose: No, you're just sort of brown.
The Doctor: I wanted to be ginger. I've never been ginger. And you, Rose Tyler, fat lot of good you were. You gave up on me. Oh, that's rude. That's the sort of man I am now, am I? Rude. Rude and not ginger.
Harriet: I'm sorry. Who is this?
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor.
Rose: He's the Doctor.
Harriet: But what happened to my Doctor? Or is it a title that's just passed on?
The Doctor: I'm him. I'm literally him. Same man, new face. Well, new everything.
Harriet: But you can't be.
The Doctor: Harriet Jones, we were trapped in Downing Street and the one thing that scared you wasn't the aliens, it wasn't the war, it was the thought of your mother being on her own.
Harriet: Oh, my God.
The Doctor: Did you win the election?
Harriet: Landslide majority.
Sycorax: If I might interrupt.
The Doctor: Yes, sorry. Hello, big fellow.
Sycorax: Who exactly are you?
The Doctor: Well, that's the question.
Sycorax: I demand to know who you are!
The Doctor: I don't know! See, there's the thing. I'm the Doctor, but beyond that, I just don't know. I literally do not know who I am. It's all untested. Am I funny? Am I sarcastic? Sexy? Right old misery? Life and soul? Right handed? Left handed? A gambler? A fighter? A coward? A traitor? A liar? A nervous wreck? I mean, judging by the evidence, I've certainly got a gob. And how am I going to react when I see this, a great big threatening button. A great big threatening button which must not be pressed under any circumstances, am I right? Let me guess. It's some sort of control matrix, hmm? Hold on, what's feeding it? (The Doctor opens the base of the pillar under the button.) And what've we got here? Blood? Yeah, definitely blood. Human blood. A Positive, with just a dash of iron. Ah, but that means blood control. Blood control! Oh, I haven't seen blood control for years. You're controlling all the A Positives. Which leaves us with a great big stinking problem. Because I really don't know who I am. I don't know when to stop. So if I see a great big threatening button which should never, ever, ever be pressed, then I just want to do this.
(He hits the button.)

The Doctor: Don't challenge me, Harriet Jones, because I'm a completely new man. I could bring down your Government with a single word.
Harriet: You're the most remarkable man I've ever met, but I don't think you're quite capable of that.
The Doctor: No, you're right. Not a single word, just six.
Harriet: I don't think so.
The Doctor: Six words.
Harriet: Stop it!
The Doctor: Six. (The Doctor goes over to Alex and whispers in his ear.) Don't you think she looks tired?

Old 6th August 2019, 08:48 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 122

A classic image from a classic story. UNIT troops are no match for an Axon in 1971's The Claws of Axos.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01b8n54.jpg (92.3 KB, 20 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!