Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th September 2019, 12:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 166

The TARDIS, London, 1966. The War Machines.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-war-machines-tardis-in-london1.jpg (70.3 KB, 49 views)
Old 20th September 2019, 05:07 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A great action style publicity still of third Doctor, Jon Pertwee.

I can't place it though. If anyone can say which story it's from i'd be grateful. I thought Terror of the Autons due to the bus but the bus in that is completely different. I'm pretty sure it's either his first or second series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
When i saw the still my brain said "Inferno" for some reason so i looked it up.
Found this image from an old dvd cover that uses the shot, not sure if it's the right story or just a pic they decided to use.
It's actually from a series of photos that were used for publicity purposes, taken during the recording of 'Spearhead From Space', in September 1969

Rare photos of Jon Pertwee filming his Doctor Who debut 50 years ago | Radio Times
nosferatu42 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 20th September 2019, 05:41 AM
Cult Master

Doctor Who over the years: Episode quotes
The Waters Of Mars
Adelaide: State your name, rank, and intention.
The Doctor: The Doctor. Doctor. Fun.

Adelaide: What's that device?
The Doctor: Screwdriver.
Adelaide: Are you the Doctor or the janitor?
The Doctor: I don't know. Sounds like me. The maintenance man of the universe.

Adelaide: And close down all water supplies. All pipes and outlets. Don't consume anything. Have you got that, everyone? That's an order. Don't drink the water. Don't even touch it. Not one drop.
The Doctor: Can you talk? Human beings are sixty percent water, which makes them the perfect host.
Adelaide: What for?
The Doctor: I don't know. I never will. Because I've got to go. Whatever's started here, I can't see it to the end. I can't. (Andy and Tarak start gushing water at the airlock seals.) This thing's airtight, yeah?
Adelaide: And therefore watertight.
The Doctor: It depends how clever the water is.

Adelaide: You saved us.
The Doctor: Just think though. Your daughter, and your daughter's daughter, you can see them again. Family reunion.
Adelaide: But I'm supposed to be dead.
The Doctor: Not any more.
Adelaide: But Susie, my granddaughter. The person she's supposed to become might never exist now.
The Doctor: Nah! Captain Adelaide can inspire her face to face. Different details, but the story's the same.
Adelaide: You can't know that. And if my family changes, the whole of history could change. The future of the human race. No-one should have that much power.
The Doctor: Tough.
Adelaide: You should have left us there.
The Doctor: Adelaide, I've done this sort of thing before. In small ways, saved some little people, but never someone as important as you. Oh, I'm good.
Adelaide: Little people? What, like Mia and Yuri? Who decides they're so unimportant? You?
The Doctor: For a long time now, I thought I was just a survivor, but I'm not. I'm the winner. That's who I am. The Time Lord Victorious.
Adelaide: And there's no one to stop you.
The Doctor: No.
Adelaide: This is wrong, Doctor. I don't care who you are. The Time Lord Victorious is wrong.
The Doctor: That's for me to decide. Now, you'd better get home. Oh, it's all locked up. You've been away. Still, that's easy. (He points his sonic screwdriver at the front door, and it opens.) All yours.
Adelaide: Is there nothing you can't do?
The Doctor: Not any more.
(Adelaide goes inside, drawing her gun and closing the door. Then we hear the shot and see the energy blast light up the window. The Doctor turns around and in his head, he watches the history record change her place of death from Mars to Earth. Susie Fontana Brooke still goes into space, though.)
Adelaide [OC]: I don't care who you are. The Time Lord Victorious is wrong.
(The Doctor turns to see an Ood looking at him.)
The Doctor: I've gone too far. Is this it? My death? Is it time?
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Old 20th September 2019, 11:16 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 167

Joanna Page, (Queen Elizabeth I) David Tennant, (The 10th Doctor) Jenna Coleman (Clara) and Matt Smith (The 11th Doctor) at the read through for the fiftieth anniversary special The Day of the Doctor (2013).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01nxv0h.jpg (81.6 KB, 43 views)
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 21st September 2019, 06:16 AM
Cult Master

The End Of Time [Part 1]
Woman: They call it the Legend of the Blue Box.
Wilf: Oh. I've never been in here before. I'm not one for churches. Too cold.
Woman: This was the site of a convent back in the thirteen hundreds. It's said a demon fell from the sky, then a man appeared. A man in a blue box. They called him the sainted physician. He smote the demon and then disappeared.
Wilf: That's a bit of a coincidence.
Woman: It's said there's no such thing as coincidence. Who knows? Perhaps he's coming back.
Wilf: Oh, that would make my Christmas.

The Doctor: Ah! Now, sorry. There you are. So, where were we? I was summoned, wasn't I? An Ood in the snow, calling to me. Well, I didn't exactly come straight here. Had a bit of fun, you know. Travelled about, did this and that. Got into trouble. You know me. It was brilliant. I saw the Phosphorous Carousel of the Great Magellan Gestadt, saved a planet from the Red Carnivorous Maw, named a galaxy Alison. Got married. That was a mistake. Good Queen Bess. And let me tell you, her nickname is no longer. Ahem. Anyway, what do you want?
Sigma: You should not have delayed.
The Doctor: The last time I was here you said my song would be ending soon, and I'm in no hurry for that.
Sigma: You will come with me.
The Doctor: Hold on. Better lock the Tardis. (The Doctor points a remote key at the Tardis. The door locks and the light flashes at it beeps.) See? Like a car. I locked it like a car. Like. It's funny. No? Little bit? Blimey, try to make an Ood laugh. So how old are you now, Ood Sigma?

Governor: Mrs Saxon. Let me introduce myself. I'm your new Governor. I'm afraid the previous Governor met with something of an accident, which took quite some time to arrange. Miss Trefusis, if you will prepare. You kept your silence well, Mrs Saxon. Your trial was held in secret, with no jury, so no one knows who Harold Saxon was, where he came from, why you killed him. Make her kneel. There are those of us who never lost faith. And in his wisdom, Harold Saxon prepared for this moment. He knew that he might die and he made us ready. Tonight, Mrs Saxon, he returns.

Lucy: You can't bring him back. You can't! I'm begging you! Stop this now before it's too late!
Governor: We give ourselves that Saxon might live.
(Energy is pulled out of the Governor and her acolytes.)
Lucy: Can't you see? He lied to you. His name isn't even Harold Saxon.
Governor: And this was written also, for his name is the Master!

[Inside the TARDIS]
The Doctor: Bigger on the inside. Do you like it?
Wilf: I thought it'd be cleaner.
The Doctor: Cleaner? I could take you back home right now.
Wilf: Listen, Doctor, if this is a time machine, that man you're chasing, why can't you just pop back to yesterday and catch him?
The Doctor: I cant go back inside my own timeline. I have to stay relative to the Master within the causal nexus. Understand?
Wilf: Not a word.
The Doctor: Welcome aboard.
Wilf: Thank you.

The Master: The human race was always your favourite, Doctor. But now, there is no human race. There is only the Master race. Bwahahahahahaha!
Narrator [OC]: And so it came to pass, on Christmas Day, that the human race did cease to exist. But even then, the Master had no concept of his greater role in events. For this was far more than humanity's end. This day was the day upon which the whole of creation would change forever. This was the day the Time Lords returned. For Gallifrey.
Time Lords: For Gallifrey!
Narrator: For victory!
Time Lords: For victory!
Narrator: For the end of time itself!
Time Lords: For the end of time itself!

Old 21st September 2019, 10:33 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 168

A colour still from part one of 1964's Marco Polo.

Pictured are William Russell (Ian Chesterton), Carole Ann Ford (Susan), William Hartnell (The Doctor) and Jacqueline Hill (Barbara Wright)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg hartnell04.jpg (93.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 22nd September 2019, 05:08 AM
Cult Master

Free download - TERRANCE DICKS - A TRIBUTE | Candy Jar Books

"Last week the world of Doctor Who lost Terrance Dicks. To celebrate the life and career of ‘Uncle Terrance’ Candy Jar has released a free PDF, Terrance Dicks – A Tribute.

Terrance Dicks wrote thirty-five episodes of Doctor Who, including classics such as Horror of Fang Rock and The Five Doctors; he was script editor of the show for six years, overseeing the transition from Patrick Troughton and the entirety of the Jon Pertwee era; he wrote over sixty novelisations of Doctor Who stories; and all this is before even touching on his multiple stage, audio, and non-fiction productions, or his innumerable scripts and children’s books outside of the Who universe.

Wherever stories of the Doctor were being told, Terrance Dicks’ name was sure to be found, whether in the Target Books of the ’70s and ’80s, or the Virgin New Adventures and Big Finish productions throughout the ’90s and 2000s. Through the fallow years before Doctor Who’s return to screens, the fandom was kept alive in no small part to Terrance Dicks’ prodigious output.

He was an ever-present at conventions and on documentaries, a warm, witty and humble custodian of the show he had been so pivotal in developing. In the words of James Middleditch in Candy Jar’s free PDF: “The wisdom and twinkling joy with which he spoke about Doctor Who would… become fundamental to the experience of the series in the 1990s.”

Terrance Dicks – A Tribute is a collection of memories from the authors and artists who were inspired by Terrance’s work. This range of writers and artists – with Nick Walters, Chris Achilleos, Gary Russell, John Levene, John Peel and many more – is a testament to the depth of Terrance’s influence.

In Nick Walters’ own words: “I know for absolute certain that I am not the only writer who will say that Terrance Dicks was a major, if not the major, inspiration for their career. His books, with their clarity of prose, vivid descriptions, and economic yet evocative renditions of televised Doctor Who stories, were our bread and butter.”

And it’s not just writers who hold him dear. Shaun Russell, Candy Jar’s head of publishing, was motivated to compile this collection by his own debt to Terrance’s work. He says: “Like a lot of our readers, I grew up on Target’s Doctor Who books. And when we first acquired the rights to Lethbridge-Stewart, it was their example that we aspired to. With those titles – and none more so than in Terrance’s books – you could tell that the storytelling came from a place of deep understanding and genuine love for Doctor Who and its universe.”

The free PDF also includes artwork by Adrian Salmon, Terry Cooper and Paul Cowan.

Shaun Russell continues: “There’s a great piece in the collection, by George Ivanoff, which talks about Terrance’s wonderful way with opening lines – how he could suck you into a story with just a few words. That’s the standard for us always: that deep knowledge, that genuine affection, but most of all that flair that came pouring off of every page of Terrance’s work. I very much doubt I’d be doing what I am today if it wasn’t for his influence.""
nosferatu42 and iank like this.

Old 22nd September 2019, 05:45 AM
Cult Master

The End Of Time [Part 2]
The Master: Tell me, where's your Tardis?
The Doctor: You could be so wonderful.
The Master: Where is it?
The Doctor: You're a genius. You're stone cold brilliant, you are. I swear, you really are. But you could be so much more. You could be beautiful. With a mind like that, we could travel the stars. It would be my honour. Because you don't need to own the universe, just see it. To have the privilege of seeing the whole of time and space. That's ownership enough.
The Master: Would it stop, then? The noise in my head?
The Doctor: I can help.
The Master: I don't know what I'd be without that noise.
The Doctor: I wonder what I'd be, without you.
The Master: Yeah.

The Doctor: I'm older than you.
Wilf: Get away.
The Doctor: I'm nine hundred and six.
Wilf: What, really, though?
The Doctor: Yeah.
Wilf: Nine hundred years. We must look like insects to you.
The Doctor: I think you look like giants.
Wilf: Listen, I, I want you to have this. I've kept it all this time, and I thought
(Wilf offers his revolver to the Doctor.)
The Doctor: No.
Wilf: No, but if you take it, you could
The Doctor: No. You had that gun in the mansion. You could have shot the Master there and then.
Wilf: Too scared, I suppose.
The Doctor: I'd be proud.
Wilf: Of what?
The Doctor: If you were my dad.
Wilf: Oh, come on, don't start. But you said, you were told he will knock four times and then you die. Well, that's him, isn't it? The Master. That noise in his head? The Master is going to kill you.
Wilf: Then kill him first.
The Doctor: And that's how the Master started. It's not like I'm an innocent. I've taken lives. I got worse. I got clever. Manipulated people into taking their own. Sometimes I think a Time Lord lives too long. I can't. I just can't.
Wilf: If the Master dies, what happens to all the people?
The Doctor: I don't know.
Wilf: Doctor, what happens?
The Doctor: The template snaps.
Wilf: What, they go back to being human? They're alive, and human. Then don't you dare, sir. Don't you dare put him before them. Now you take this. That's an order, Doctor. Take the gun. You take the gun and save your life. And please don't die. You're the most wonderful man and I don't want you to die.
The Doctor: Never.

Wilf: They gone, then? Yeah, good-o. If you could let me out?
Wilf: Only, this thing seems to be making a bit of a noise.
The Doctor: The Master left the Nuclear Bolt running. It's gone into overload.
Wilf: And that's bad, is it?
The Doctor: No, because all the excess radiation gets vented inside there. Vinvocci glass contains it. All five hundred thousand rads, about to flood that thing.
Wilf: Oh. Well, you'd better let me out, then.
The Doctor: Except it's gone critical. Touch one control and it floods. Even this would set it off.
(The sonic screwdriver.)
Wilf: I'm sorry.
The Doctor: Sure.
Wilf: Look, just leave me.
The Doctor: Okay, right then, I will. Because you had to go in there, didn't you? You had to go and get stuck, oh yes. Because that's who you are, Wilfred. You were always this. Waiting for me all this time.
Wilf: No really, just leave me. I'm an old man, Doctor. I've had my time.
The Doctor: Well, exactly. Look at you. Not remotely important. But me? I could do so much more. So much more! But this is what I get. My reward. And it's not fair! Oh. Oh. I've lived too long.
Wilf: No. No, no, please, please don't. No, don't! Please don't! Please!
The Doctor: Wilfred, it's my honour. Better be quick. Three, two, one.
(The Doctor quickly goes into the open booth and unlocks Wilf's side. Wilf runs out and red light floods the Doctor's booth. It hurts a lot. The Doctor curls up into a ball. Then the power shuts down. After a few moments, the Doctor gets up.)
Wilf: What? Hello.
The Doctor: Hi.
Wilf: Still with us?
The Doctor: The system's dead. I absorbed it all. Whole thing's kaput. Oh. Now it opens, yeah.
(The Doctor comes out of the booth.)
Wilf: Well, there we are, then. Safe and sound. Mind you, you're in hell of a state. You've got some battle scars there. (The Doctor rubs his face and the cuts vanish.) But they've. Your face. How did you do that?
The Doctor: It's started.

The Doctor: I don't want to go. (The golden energy regenerates David Tennant, and starts a lot of fires in the Tardis. He turns into a gangly hyperactive drink of water with a long fringe of hair dangling over one eye. Well, I suppose at least Matt Smith does look slightly alien.) Legs. I've still got legs. Good. Arms. Hands. Ooo, fingers. Lots of fingers. Ears, yes. Eyes, two. Nose, I've had worse. Chin, blimey. Hair. I'm a girl! No. No. I'm not a girl. And still not ginger. And something else. Something important. I'm, I'm, I'm (Bang!) Ha! Crashing! (The Tardis is plummeting back down to Earth.) Ha, ha! Whoo hoo hoo! Ah! Geronimo!

Old 22nd September 2019, 11:54 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 169

The Cybermen emerge from their tombs on Telos in the 1985 story Attack of the Cybermen.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg da4ee3c30de505f9cdd1d7b81d1bdef3.jpg (55.2 KB, 29 views)
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw The Five Doctors last night. I haven't seen this for a very long time, at least 7 years and I have a feeling it may even be longer than that, but for some reason I was just feeling in the mood and threw it on last night. Loved it. A glorious celebration of classic Who with enough nostalgia and warmth to cheer anyone up. Troughton and Pertwee slip back in like they've never been away, and Hurndall makes a way better faux 1st Doctor than a certain someone else ever did. Lovely.

Like this? Share it using the links below!