Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28612Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st February 2020, 05:30 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #32

Episode: 'The Empty Child'
Artist: Kate Harvey
Title: It Had To Be You
Notes:
* Heard as The Doctor enters a nightclub in 1940
* Written by Isham Jones and Gus Kahn, the song was first published in 1924
* This version was recorded especially for this story
* The story also features the tune 'Moonlight Serenade'. The following episode, 'The Doctor Dances' featured 'In The Mood'. Both were performed by The Glenn Miller Orchestra. These were previously heard in 'Revelation Of The Daleks' being performed by The Ted Heath Orchestra

As seen in the show

The full song, as performed by Doris Day in 1955

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 1st February 2020, 11:45 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 300

Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Peter Davison attempt to get a part in the fiftieth anniversary episode as seen in the half hour special The Five (ish) Doctors (2013)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p01mm8m9.jpg (86.9 KB, 46 views)
Old 1st February 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Still trying to work out that last episode. Liked the other Tardis, I will say.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:00 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #33

Episode: 'The Christmas Invasion'
Artist: Slade
Title: Merry Xmas Everyone:
* Heard being played on the radio in the garage where Mickey Smith was working when the newly-regenerated Tenth Doctor crash-landed his TARDIS on the Powell Estate
* As with most Slade songs, 'Merry Xmas Everyone' was written by the bands vocalist / rhythm guitarist Noddy Holder and bass player Jim Lea
* Not featuring on any albums, the song was released as a single in 1973, where it quickly reached #1 in the UK charts. It has since been re-released to the UK charts numerous times:
- UK Singles Chart: #70 (1980)
- UK Singles Chart: #32 (1981)
- UK Singles Chart: #67 (1982)
- UK Singles Chart: #20 (1983)
- UK Singles Chart: #47 (1984)
- UK Singles Chart: #48 (1985)
- UK Singles Chart: #71 (1986)
- UK Singles Chart: #99 (1989)
- UK Singles Chart: #93 (1990)
- UK Singles Chart: #30 (1998, Slade vs Flush)
- UK Singles Chart: #21 (2006)
- UK Singles Chart: #20 (2007)
- UK Singles Chart: #32 (2008)
- UK Singles Chart: #41 (2009)
- UK Singles Chart: #50 (2010)
- UK Singles Chart: #33 (2011)
- UK Singles Chart: #35 (2012)
- UK Singles Chart: #49 (2013)
- UK Singles Chart: #55 (2014)
- UK Singles Chart: #55 (2015)
- UK Singles Chart: #30 (2016)
- UK Singles Chart: #16 (2017)
- UK Singles Chart: #17 (2018)
- UK Singles Chart: #19 (2019)
* It has also appeared in:
- 'The Runaway Bride', where it was played at Donna's first wedding
- 'Turn Left', where it was heard on the radio in an alternate version of Christmas 2007
- 'The End Of Time', when Sylvia Noble opened up a musical Christmas card that played the song
- 'The Power Of Three', where it was played at the hospital where Rory worked
- 'Last Christmas', where Shona sang and danced along to the song to keep her distracted from thinking about the dream crabs

As seen in the programme

The full song by Slade

Old 2nd February 2020, 11:45 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 301

The third Doctor (Jon Pertwee) faces off with a Dalek in a publicity still for Day of the Daleks (1972)

I've seen stills similar to this many times in the past but don't think i've actually seen this one before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day_daleks_doc_hi005764916 (Large).jpg (59.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 2nd February 2020, 07:28 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Praxeus.

I genuinely think that was the worst episode of what used to be Doctor Who i've ever seen.

With around fifteen minutes to go i was feeling out and out sympathy for Jodie Whitaker, having to spew out all that garbage that was supposedly dialogue. How could anyone convince with scripts as abysmal as that.
Mojo, trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 3rd February 2020, 05:09 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #34

Episode: 'The Christmas Invasion' (ii)
Artist: Murray Gold and Tim Phillips
Title: Song For Ten
Notes:
* Played as the Doctor chooses his defining style of dress for the first time (after spending most of the episode in jim-jams and a housecoat), and later joins Rose and her family for Christmas dinner.
* The song was composed by Murray Gold especially for this episode
* The tune and melody are also used as part of the incidental music at the end of 'School Reunion', during the Sarah Jane Smith goodbye scene.

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 3rd February 2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

And today’s lecture is.....
If I want to watch an entertaining eco - message Doctor Who story with characters I actually care about, I’ll rewatch The Green Death ( which I did very recently, as it happens ).
After some promising improvements with Spyfall and Tesla, we had last week’s mess and this week’s drek - and we are sliding back into all the reasons I stopped watching series 11.
Don’t think I’ll bother turning up for next week’s lecture. Wake me up when the Cybermen return.
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Saw this review last night and sent it to someone I know .

Think they hit nail on the head

Doctor Who: Praxeus, review: the science-fiction has taken a back seat to preaching

Oh, Doctor Who. I have tried to love you, really I have. A female Doctor? Bring it on! Bradley Walsh as a companion? Could be inspired casting. Two extra companions? Been done before, and there’s no reason why it couldn’t work. Storylines about Rosa Parks and Partition? Well, the show has lots of young viewers for whom these subjects could be both new and interesting, and there’s nothing in the rules which says it can’t tackle significant moments in history.

But the Praxeus episode was the final proof, if it were needed, that Doctor Who (BBC One) is not what it was. By which I mean that it is no longer a sci-fi show. It is a show preaching messages to children, which happens to have the occasional alien in it as a bit of sci-fi window dressing.

We were back in James Bond adventure mode, rapidly switching datelines from Peru to Madagascar to Hong Kong. It began promisingly enough, with astronaut Adam (Matthew McNulty) missing presumed dead after his spacecraft hurtled out of control on a return from the International Space Station. Back on Earth, a man called Jake (Warren Brown) received a text from Adam, begging for help and pinpointing his position to Hong Kong.

Then to Peru, and a clue to where this was all heading. Two backpacking travel vloggers turned up to a spot which three years earlier had been an unspoilt paradise, but was now covered in rubbish. To cut a long story short, the astronaut and one of the backpackers became infected by an alien bacteria. And what did it feed on? Microplastics.

“It’s in the air, it’s in your food, it’s in your water. Humans have flooded this planet with plastics that can’t be broken down,” explained the Doctor. This is a subject worth exploring – Anita Rani and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did an excellent job in last year’s War on Plastic series. But in the context of Doctor Who, it felt like a school lecture. This didactic tone means that everything feels as if it has been shoehorned in to make a point.

It shouldn’t be of note that Jake and Adam turned out to be married, and yet the series has somehow got itself to a place where everything seems deliberately worthy.

On top of this, the script was confusing and boring and the actual alien bit – human bodies being covered by a sort of creeping carapace – was genuinely horrible, far too scary for the younger children who would have been most receptive to the environmental message. The show has lost its way
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:09 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Saw this review last night and sent it to someone I know .

Think they hit nail on the head

Doctor Who: Praxeus, review: the science-fiction has taken a back seat to preaching

Oh, Doctor Who. I have tried to love you, really I have. A female Doctor? Bring it on! Bradley Walsh as a companion? Could be inspired casting. Two extra companions? Been done before, and there’s no reason why it couldn’t work. Storylines about Rosa Parks and Partition? Well, the show has lots of young viewers for whom these subjects could be both new and interesting, and there’s nothing in the rules which says it can’t tackle significant moments in history.

But the Praxeus episode was the final proof, if it were needed, that Doctor Who (BBC One) is not what it was. By which I mean that it is no longer a sci-fi show. It is a show preaching messages to children, which happens to have the occasional alien in it as a bit of sci-fi window dressing.

We were back in James Bond adventure mode, rapidly switching datelines from Peru to Madagascar to Hong Kong. It began promisingly enough, with astronaut Adam (Matthew McNulty) missing presumed dead after his spacecraft hurtled out of control on a return from the International Space Station. Back on Earth, a man called Jake (Warren Brown) received a text from Adam, begging for help and pinpointing his position to Hong Kong.

Then to Peru, and a clue to where this was all heading. Two backpacking travel vloggers turned up to a spot which three years earlier had been an unspoilt paradise, but was now covered in rubbish. To cut a long story short, the astronaut and one of the backpackers became infected by an alien bacteria. And what did it feed on? Microplastics.

“It’s in the air, it’s in your food, it’s in your water. Humans have flooded this planet with plastics that can’t be broken down,” explained the Doctor. This is a subject worth exploring – Anita Rani and Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall did an excellent job in last year’s War on Plastic series. But in the context of Doctor Who, it felt like a school lecture. This didactic tone means that everything feels as if it has been shoehorned in to make a point.

It shouldn’t be of note that Jake and Adam turned out to be married, and yet the series has somehow got itself to a place where everything seems deliberately worthy.

On top of this, the script was confusing and boring and the actual alien bit – human bodies being covered by a sort of creeping carapace – was genuinely horrible, far too scary for the younger children who would have been most receptive to the environmental message. The show has lost its way

totally agree, easily the worst episode ever, failed in ever area didn't have one redeeming quality.

its not the casts fault need to fire the writers and the bbc needs to stop forcing its preaching bullshit

Like this? Share it using the links below!