Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2020, 11:14 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #43

Episode: 'Love And Monsters' (iv)
Artist: Il Divo
Title: Regresa a m?*
Notes:
* Played by Jackie Tyler in her apartment when she was trying to seduce Elton Pope
* The song, originally recorded by Toni Braxton in 1996, has the English title 'Unbreak My Heart'.
* Operatic vocal group Il Divo recorded a cover of the song in 2004
* Their version can be found on the 2004 debut album 'Il Divo'

MrBarlow likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 13th February 2020, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 312

The space station used for The Trial of a Time Lord (1986)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trial space station (Large).JPG (42.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 13th February 2020, 03:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Apparently there was complaints about Sunday episode to do with graham cancer scare .

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a30895...s-cancer-line/
Old 14th February 2020, 05:28 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #44

Episode: 'Doomsday'
Artist: Murray Gold and Melanie Pappenheim
Title: Doomsday
Notes:
* Heard during the separation of The Doctor and Rose at Bad Wolf Bay
* The song, which was composed specially for this story, can also be heard in 'Partners In Crime'
* Melanie Pappenheim is also featured on the soundtracks on a number of Hollywood films including 'Eyes Wide Shut' and 'Gangs of New York'
* The track can be found on the 2006 album release 'Doctor Who: Original Television Soundtrack'

trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th February 2020, 02:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 313

Sarah (Elisabeth Sladen) with Alpha Centauri, in The Monster of Peladon (1974)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p017jlgp.jpg (63.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 14th February 2020, 03:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

This sums up the last episode perfectly and what Doctor who has become.

After that episode i beginning to agree with Ian just end the show, no Who is better than the shit we have now.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
This sums up the last episode perfectly and what Doctor who has become.

After that episode i beginning to agree with Ian just end the show, no Who is better than the shit we have now.
Last night i watched Rose and The End of the World.

First time i've seen them in at least ten years (Mainly thanks to the cumbersome TARDIS box housing the discs which falls apart when you look at it) and Doctor Who in 2020 just isn't the same show.

People can think what they like about the character of Rose Tyler but within the first six minutes of the opening episode writer Russell T Davies had already turned her into a fully rounded character that we could all relate to. We'd seen her home, her mum, her boyfriend Mickey, her job and had a riveting slice of creepy sci-fi as shop mannequins came alive and tried to kill her.

Her relationship with the Doctor (an excellent Christopher Eccleston) seems so natural. She asks questions, the Doctor answers, the story moves at break neck pace.

There's none of the endless techno babble that Whitaker comes out with constantly even when there's no one around. Todays writing is so poor bordering on the nonsensical in that respect and there was certainly none of the preachy lecturing dialogue that is rammed down our throats nowadays.

Yes the Doctor tells Rose why they are witnessing the final moments of planet Earth during The End of the World but it's touching and brilliantly written as part of the story rather than friggin Whitaker looking at the camera lecturing any unfortunate soul who is still watching.

I'll be continuing with more of the first series tonight i think. It's just so much fun in comparison to what we have now which is no longer Doctor Who. Russell T Davies must be gnashing his teeth in frustration at the rubbish masquerading under the name Doctor Who in 2020.
Mojo, trebor8273, hivemind and 1 others like this.
Old 14th February 2020, 04:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

First time i've seen them in at least ten years (Mainly thanks to the cumbersome TARDIS box housing the discs which falls apart when you look at it) and Doctor Who in 2020 just isn't the same show.

People can think what they like about the character of Rose Tyler but within the first six minutes of the opening episode writer Russell T Davies had already turned her into a fully rounded character that we could all relate to. We'd seen her home, her mum, her boyfriend Mickey, her job and had a riveting slice of creepy sci-fi as shop mannequins came alive and tried to kill her.

Her relationship with the Doctor (an excellent Christopher Eccleston) seems so natural. She asks questions, the Doctor answers, the story moves at break neck pace.

There's none of the endless techno babble that Whitaker comes out with constantly even when there's no one around. Todays writing is so poor bordering on the nonsensical in that respect and there was certainly none of the preachy lecturing dialogue that is rammed down our throats nowadays.

Yes the Doctor tells Rose why they are witnessing the final moments of planet Earth during The End of the World but it's touching and brilliantly written as part of the story rather than friggin Whitaker looking at the camera lecturing any unfortunate soul who is still watching.

I'll be continuing with more of the first series tonight i think. It's just so much fun in comparison to what we have now which is no longer Doctor Who. Russell T Davies must be gnashing his teeth in frustration at the rubbish masquerading under the name Doctor Who in 2020.

Never really noticed until I watched the YouTube video but Whitaker is written as a nasty self obsessed cow.

Big difference between being social awkward and being a bitch!
Old 14th February 2020, 05:46 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I did the same thing last year, just before Xmas, watched the entire first series all the way through to Matt Smith's beginning. Jesus! You really do miss Dr Who, and actually mourn it's passing. The Unquiet Dead is very watchable, and the rather great Parting of the Ways with Bad Wolf. Peter Capaldi's outing in series 8 has some of the best material his Doctor ever got, in terms of written stories. Flatline was a marvel, and so was Mummy on the Orient Express. Good times. Miss them very much.
Old 14th February 2020, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Never really noticed until I watched the YouTube video but Whitaker is written as a nasty self obsessed cow.

Big difference between being social awkward and being a bitch!
Just thank the BBC and Chibnall for this. I'll never forgive them for selling out Dr Who.

I took the decision to cancel my Licence Fee with Capita back in Jan. Sod them. That's hundred + quid their not getting from me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!