Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2020, 06:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I don't. I stopped watching midway through Capaldi's last series. But I do keep an eye on Parody Who with some rather great reviews on YT.

I didn't even watch Capaldi's last entry,
Twice Upon a Time.
This is what i don't get, you let others do your thinking for you.

I disliked the first Transformers film enough to not want to see any others but i can't dismiss them all as shit because i haven't seen them, to do so would be ridiculous, no matter if someone told me they were shit.

The same goes for you with Doctor Who. It's ridiculous that you say something you haven't actually seen is rubbish based on someone else's opinions. Simply coming out with the same old BBC agenda's and diversity get's tiresome.

I thought you were better than that, hivemind.
Old 18th February 2020, 07:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes, even though I had to wait a bothersome amount of time, I am now up to speed with JW. As bitterly disappointing as that turned out to be, I did not let naysayers put me off it. Masochistic maybe? Whatever.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th February 2020, 07:44 PM
Cult Master

With the exception of 'Fugitive of the Judoon' I have not, and will not, see any of the new series until I get the DVD release in March

Then I will go into the episodes with an open mind, not caring about what other people think

I can make my own decisions about whether an episode is good or not!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th February 2020, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
This is what i don't get, you let others do your thinking for you.

I disliked the first Transformers film enough to not want to see any others but i can't dismiss them all as shit because i haven't seen them, to do so would be ridiculous, no matter if someone told me they were shit.

The same goes for you with Doctor Who. It's ridiculous that you say something you haven't actually seen is rubbish based on someone else's opinions. Simply coming out with the same old BBC agenda's and diversity get's tiresome.

I thought you were better than that, hivemind.

These days, most people will accept any old crap, even when it says the words Dr Who, and it isn't Doctor Who, because they want the show to succeed badly. Similar to Star Wars I suppose. Especially when you pay good money to be subjected to total shite.

Carry on enjoying it by all means. At least it will be an honor to watch Parody Who sink into the vortex of diminishing returns.
iank likes this.
Old 19th February 2020, 01:36 AM
Cult Acolyte

See, this is what I don't get. This idea that you can't tell something is terrible unless you've sat through every last moment of it. I sat through ten seasons of New Who, more than enough to come to the conclusion that it just isn't the same show anymore and I'm never going to like it as much as the original series. I watched the first ten minutes of The Woman Who Lived, enough to see that Whittaker was nails down a blackboard irritating. I've read enough plot descriptions and reviews to tell this is not my show anymore, and seen enough clips and bits of trailers to see she has not improved one iota and was utterly miscast even if the idea of genderbending Time Lords wasn't a massive joke to begin with (which it always was).
I don't have to watch 95% of modern movies to know they're not for me either. Trailers and plot descriptions are more than enough to make that call.
will graham and hivemind like this.
Old 19th February 2020, 05:45 AM
Cult Master

Popular music in 'Doctor Who' #49

Episode: 'Human Nature / Family Of Blood'
Artist: Choir of Christ College
Title: He Who Would Valiant Be / To Be A Pilgrim
Notes:
* In 'Human Nature', the song is heard In the post-opening titles scenes of John Smith entered Farringham School for Boys in 1913, while 'The Family Of Blood' it features as the animated scarecrows are being shot down by the school pupils
* The song 'To Be A Pilgrim', which is also known by its alternate title 'He Who Would Valiant Be', is the only hymn John Bunyan is credited with writing
* The date the hymn was written is unknown, but it first appeared in the second part of Bunyan's Christian allegory 'The Pilgrim's Progress', which was written in 1684

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th February 2020, 11:11 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
See, this is what I don't get. This idea that you can't tell something is terrible unless you've sat through every last moment of it. I sat through ten seasons of New Who, more than enough to come to the conclusion that it just isn't the same show anymore and I'm never going to like it as much as the original series. I watched the first ten minutes of The Woman Who Lived, enough to see that Whittaker was nails down a blackboard irritating. I've read enough plot descriptions and reviews to tell this is not my show anymore, and seen enough clips and bits of trailers to see she has not improved one iota and was utterly miscast even if the idea of genderbending Time Lords wasn't a massive joke to begin with (which it always was).
I don't have to watch 95% of modern movies to know they're not for me either. Trailers and plot descriptions are more than enough to make that call.
When Russell T. Davies and Steven Moffat won't discuss the current state of Dr Who, then what does that tell you. A wall of silence seems to be the order of the day. When they announced Chris Chibnall as showrunner, that was a clear indication that Dr Who was well and truly over. Under the BBC's guidance and support, the show has become a lecture in how not to present the viewing public with direct and open propaganda that's actually turned masses of viewers off, and this is what I don't get. Back in 1989, the BBC was only too willing to destroy Dr Who. In 2020, the BBC commissions a further season of Parody Who, when vertually no one is watching the show with extremely low ratings that actually mirror the ratings of the final series of Slyvestor McCoy's era. It just goes to show that the BBC's diversity and Inclusion strategy, coupled with continual brainwashing of the viewers hasn't ultimately worked, except for those that watch Parody Who for sake of it being similar to Dr Who, in all but name + enjoy the social change messages in the stories (if you can call them stories). But there we go.

Last edited by hivemind; 19th February 2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 19th February 2020, 11:31 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 317

Colin Baker as the sixth Doctor.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg dw (7).jpg (84.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 19th February 2020, 11:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I stopped at the later stages of David Tennant, but I don't understand why so many people seem to feel threatened by diversity and inclusivity. That is where we are with the younger generations coming through. I refuse to shake my zimmer frame at societal change. I think it's a good thing. It can feel like being preached at and 'holier than thou' at times when i'm feeling touchy, but i'm comfortable with the knowledge that i'm no longer the target audience because i'm now middle-aged.

If younger people are no longer watching it, it may be that the stories simply aren't up to scratch rather than because of the identity politics that we oldies seem to get caught up with.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 19th February 2020, 05:38 PM
Active Cultist

It's not the identity politics that are the problem. (although i have noticed that the bbc in general doesn't want to feature racial divide in history unless it's astory is about racism)

It's just written like those old school programs are, There are no underlying themes, just straight to the point preach. At the moment i wouldn't be surprised if Doctor Who had a go at another character if they were caught smoking and gave them a lecture about what it does to the body, while looking at the camera at the same time!

Like this? Share it using the links below!