Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28501Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2020, 11:18 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 332

Tom Baker is the FOURTH Doctor (1974-81)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg EOfTrC4XUAEEp2i (Large).jpg (80.7 KB, 63 views)
Old 5th March 2020, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Massacre released on vinyl for Record Store Day.

I've listened to the cd version countless times. I love the story. Very grim.

Not one i'm bothered about seeing animated though as i have my own ideas what it looks like in my head and to be honest animation just wouldn't do them justice.
gag, Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th March 2020, 11:44 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 333

Peter Davison is the FIFTH Doctor (1982-84)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg doctor-who-quotes-fifth-doctor-peter-davison (Large).jpg (64.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 7th March 2020, 12:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Been busy and still am so don't really have time to analyse the last episode in detail. Whilst it was entertaining, i'm really at odds with the twist. No, not the bit about the found child being a girl or that the Doctor will have unlimited regeneration's: that was always something that needed sorting out to take the character into the future. My beef is with the retconning of the Doctor's motivation to leave Gallifrey. There was something noble and poetic about the Doctor being a renegade who escaped a stifling existence. The idea that he/she had always been an unwitting agent of the Time Lords takes all that away and frankly is insulting to the 'buy in' that fans had to the series. Yes, I know the renegade stuff was retconning in itself but at the end of the second Doctor's run, the Doctor was still mysterious enough to have a past sketched, and at least then, the writers were good enough to come up with something that added to the legend rather than diminishing it.

I was going to give each episode a mark out of ten but that would be too depressing. I can't help thinking the series desperately needs new writers and ones that are steeped in the history of Who rather than jobbing hacks. One more season of Chibnall to endure , than hopefully a renaissance?
Old 7th March 2020, 01:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 334

Colin Baker is the SIXTH Doctor. (1984-86)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yhfgh.jpg (95.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 7th March 2020, 09:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I can't help thinking the series desperately needs new writers and ones that are steeped in the history of Who rather than jobbing hacks. One more season of Chibnall to endure , than hopefully a renaissance?
Sadly, judging by the last 15 years, the ones 'steeped' in it seem to be the ones most obsessed with revising the show's history and lead character to suit their own ego and warped agendas.
hivemind likes this.
Old 7th March 2020, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Been busy and still am so don't really have time to analyse the last episode in detail. Whilst it was entertaining, i'm really at odds with the twist. No, not the bit about the found child being a girl or that the Doctor will have unlimited regeneration's: that was always something that needed sorting out to take the character into the future. My beef is with the retconning of the Doctor's motivation to leave Gallifrey. There was something noble and poetic about the Doctor being a renegade who escaped a stifling existence. The idea that he/she had always been an unwitting agent of the Time Lords takes all that away and frankly is insulting to the 'buy in' that fans had to the series. Yes, I know the renegade stuff was retconning in itself but at the end of the second Doctor's run, the Doctor was still mysterious enough to have a past sketched, and at least then, the writers were good enough to come up with something that added to the legend rather than diminishing it.

I was going to give each episode a mark out of ten but that would be too depressing. I can't help thinking the series desperately needs new writers and ones that are steeped in the history of Who rather than jobbing hacks. One more season of Chibnall to endure , than hopefully a renaissance?

Good job you put the question mark there. The question I would pose would be, what renaissance would that be exactly.
Old 8th March 2020, 11:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
Good job you put the question mark there. The question I would pose would be, what renaissance would that be exactly.
well quickly and personally:
  1. have a full season of two part stories, that are standalone and without a season story arc. perhaps go back to when the Doctor couldn't always accurately control the Tardis and therefore ended up in unexpected places.
  2. does the threat always have to be universe wide? lets have some localised stories. DW works best when in an enclosed environment with a limited number of characters.
  3. let's get some horror back in. my favourite two seasons Tom Baker S2&3 were very horror tinged and drew on famous horror literature for inspiration.
  4. go back to just one (maybe two) companion(s). having 3 makes them compete for equal screen time and stalls the stories.
  5. reset the Doctor's character back to what it was i.e. someone curious, didn't know everything, someone who values life but definitely not a pacifist.
  6. take out the PC lecturing. if the story has a 'message' let it live within the story instead of koshing the audience over the head with it.

i'm sure there is more but that will do for starters
Old 8th March 2020, 12:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tbh updating , modernising, special effects , cgi, pointless humour and all that malarkey doesn't necessary mean better with anything, irrelevant if like or don't tennant, or Eccleston / or certain stories the nu who really doesn't have the same charm and appeal as the original, as the old saying goes if it isn't broke don't fix it, That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
iank likes this.
Old 8th March 2020, 12:43 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 335

Sylvester McCoy is the SEVENTH Doctor (1987-89 & 96)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg _50161575_006680143-1 (Large) (Medium).jpg (36.9 KB, 31 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!