Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th February 2021, 12:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I gave a rewatch to Dragonfire (1987) last night to see if i really wanted to get the season 24 blu-ray set that's out soon.

The answer is a big fat NO.

When i first saw the final story of the seventh Doctor's first season i really liked it. It seemed to have all the classic Doctor Who ingredients that i felt were missing from the first three stories of the season and this was easily my favourite.

However after buying and rewatching Dragonfire on vhs and dvd it's shortcomings are there for all to see. For a start it's not my favourite of the season anymore. Delta and the Bannerman took that honour many years ago, but it remains the second best story, although when it's competition is Time and the Rani (Great effects, locations and fun Tetrap monsters but awful everything else) and Paradise Towers (Just generally awful from start to finish) then it's not saying much.

For all that works well about Dragonfire - The dragon itself which appears to have nicked it's body from the Xenomorphs from Alien and Aliens, Patricia Quinn as Belazs, the welcome return of Glitz (Tony Selby), Kane's messy death - there are dozens of things that don't.

Ace (Sophie Aldred) is terrible. Her dialogue is cringe worthy at best, why they picked her over Ray (Sarah Griffiths) from Delta as the new companion to take over from Bonnie Langford's Mel i'll never know. Then there's the episode cliffhangers. Part one is well documented and the reasons behind it are bullshit. The production team say the Doctor climbed down a cliff face and got stuck dangling as he was edging towards the next level. Watching part two, Glitz just walks below him and helps him down. Why not just drop, Doctor? It was only about seven foot. There's easily room to drop onto the ledge because he and Glitz lounge on rocks once he's down with their legs outstretched in front of them.

Meanwhile Kane (Edward Peel) has a "Nothing in ze vurld can stop me now" moment in the cliffhanger to episode two as he looks into the camera and growls "At last, after 3000 years the Dragonfire shall be mine". Aside from this face palm moment Peel is pretty good.

However... For someone searching for the Dragonfire for 3000 years it's embarrassing that the Doctor should show up with a carrot juice drinking health freak, an annoying rebellious teen who swear PG style, and a comedy sidekick in Glitz and find the Dragonfire within an hour. You have to wonder what Kane was doing imprisoned on Iceworld for 3000 years. All he seems to have done was build a supermarket.

It might not be so bad if these were all that was wrong with Dragonfire you could forgive it, but it isn't, there's so much more that can be pulled apart whilst watching. Having said that, it still works, sort of, as a fun romp but pales in comparison to every seventh Doctor story that would follow it.
Your review if Dragonfire pretty much sums up my feelings about the entire 7th Doctor era, Dem.
Sylvester McCoy’s performance really grates on me, his relationship with Ace is cringeworthy ( what age is Ace supposed to be? ) and I can’t really recall one story I actually enjoyed ( in fact it contains some of my least favourite stories ).
I did try and rewatch some stories in recent times and I’m still as unimpressed as ever. It’s just a personal opinion of course and I know the 7th Doctor has lots of fans, but just not for me. Suffice to say, I won’t be buying the boxset either !
Old 26th February 2021, 01:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 682

Another publicity still of Lalla Ward as Romana (with K-9) taken in 1979.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 671387166_EN527H_122_88lo (Large).jpg (80.7 KB, 47 views)
Old 26th February 2021, 01:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Your review if Dragonfire pretty much sums up my feelings about the entire 7th Doctor era, Dem.
Sylvester McCoy’s performance really grates on me, his relationship with Ace is cringeworthy ( what age is Ace supposed to be? ) and I can’t really recall one story I actually enjoyed ( in fact it contains some of my least favourite stories ).
I did try and rewatch some stories in recent times and I’m still as unimpressed as ever. It’s just a personal opinion of course and I know the 7th Doctor has lots of fans, but just not for me. Suffice to say, I won’t be buying the boxset either !
I love the rest of McCoy's era. The follow on story from Dragonfire, Remembrance of the Daleks, is my favourite story of all time and the next season but one (season 26) my favourite season ever. I did buy that on blu-ray even though i can't play it as i didn't want to miss out.
Old 26th February 2021, 08:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Got this .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61W9xtVpa4L.jpg (79.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 27th February 2021, 05:52 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #326
Name: Christopher Coll
Year(s): 1969 / 1972
Stories: The Seeds Of Death episode 1 – The Seeds Of Death episode 4 / The Mutants episode 1 – The Mutants episode 5
Character(s): Phipps / Stubbs

Before Who:
Film: The Boy Who Carried a Torch (1960), Press For Time* (1966)

Television: The Eggheads / Suspense: Fantasy and Fugue / The Big Pull / Emergency-Ward 10 [5 episodes as Donald Pearse] / ITV Play of the Week: The Gentle Assassin / Maigret: Seven Little Crosses / The Avengers: Killer Whale / Detective: Death in Ecstacy / The Big Noise / The Sullavan Brothers: Incident / The Villains: Three to a Cell / Public Eye: All for a Couple of Ponies / The Flying Swan: The Gold Rosette / United! [34 episodes as Dave Rockway] / Adam Adamant Lives!: The Village of Evil* / The Newcomers / Harry Worth: Where There's Brass / ITV Play of the Week: Stories of D.H Lawrence #9: Strike Pay / Trapped: You're a Brave Man, Jack / Man in a Suitcase: The Bridge* / Mr. Rose: The Heralds of Death

After Who:
Films: Walk a Crooked Path (1969), To Encourage the Others (1972), The Naked Civil Servant* (1975), Death of an Informer (1976), Suez 1956 (1979), A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square (1979), Whoops Apocalypse (1986)

Television: The Worker: When Adam Delved and Eve Span / Follyfoot: One White Foot Charley* / The Persuaders!: Anyone Can Play* / The Brothers: A Family Gathering / The Flaxton Boys: 1945: Welcome Home, Tommy Atkins / Warship [4 episodes as Lieutenant Boswall] / Oh, Father!: A Little Law / Love Story: Walter / Crown Court: Death in the Family / Hunter's Walk: Visitors / Sam and the River [6 episodes as John Taylor] / The Sweeney: Supersnout / Clayhanger: The Adventure / Orde Wingate: Turn You to the Strong Hold / Victorian Scandals: The Fruits of Philosophy / Angels [2 episodes as Dr. Tyler] / The Liver Birds: They Decide Up There What Goes on Down Here / Grange Hill [2 episodes as Mr. Malcolm] / Out of the Past: Charles Dickens: Storyteller Extraordinary / Shoestring: Private Ear / Sykes: Bad Medicine / Noah's Castle: Pressure / A Question of Guilt [4 episodes as Rev. Mr. Swinton] / The Cuckoo Waltz: The Press Ball / Leap in the Dark: Jack Be Nimble / BBC2 Playhouse: Fatal Spring / BBC2 Playhouse: Skylark / Sink or Swim: The Folk Club / Minder: The Son Also Rises / Strangers: A Free Weekend in the Country / Play for Today: Soft Targets / Nobody's Hero: [2 episodes as Mr. Parkinson] / Coronation Street [33 episodes as Victor Pendlebury (1982-1992)] / Slinger's Day: A Right Royal Mix Up / The Bill: Fall Guy

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 27th February 2021, 12:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 683

The Doctor (Jon Pertwee) and fishnet friend in a promo photo for the 1972 story The Sea Devils.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7b236050cd261c2cefef347fd3d50b89 (Large).jpg (67.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 28th February 2021, 06:19 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #327
Name: Philip Ray
Year(s): 1969
Stories: The Seeds Of Death episode 1 – The Seeds Of Death episode 6
Character(s): Daniel Eldred

Before Who:
Film: Old Roses (1935), Sexton Blake and the Bearded Doctor (1935), Blue Smoke (1935), Father and Son (1936), Twelve Good Men (1936), Find the Lady (1936), Not So Dusty (1936), Head Office (1936), Dark Journey (1937), The Perfect Crime (1937), Troopship (1937), The Man Who Made Diamonds (1937), Murder on Diamond Row (1937), Larceny Street (1937), Second Best Bed (1938), Mystery of Room 13 (1938), Double or Quits (1938), Strange Boarders (1938), George Takes the Air (1938), The Outsider (1939), The Nursemaid Who Disappeared (1939), Wanted by Scotland Yard (1939), Jamaica Inn (1939), Chamber of Horrors (1940), The Green Finger (1946), The October Man (1947), Fame Is the Spur (1947), Miranda (1948), The Winslow Boy (1948), The Blind Goddess (1948), Adam and Evalyn (1949), No Place for Jennifer (1950), Night and the City* (1950), Fortune in Diamonds (1951), No Highway in the Sky (1951), The Hundred Hour Hunt (1952), Derby Day (1952), Project M7 (1953), Gilbert and Sullivan (1953), The Fake (1953), A Day to Remember (1953), Gilbert Harding Speaking of Murder (1953), Trouble in Store (1953), Follow the Plough (1953), Hell Below Zero (1954), The Maid of Domrémy (1954), The Good Die Young (1954), Shadow of Fear (1955), Barnet's Folly (1955), Where There's a Will (1955), Passage Home (1955), The Dragon Embellishment (1956), The Extra Day (1956), Flash (1956), Tiger in the Smoke (1956), No Road Back (1957), The Secret Place (1957), Count Five and Die (1957), Violent Playground (1958), Dunkirk (1958), A Night to Remember (1958), Sapphire (1959), From Out of the West (1959), Hot Money Girl (1959), The Food of Love (1959), Date at Midnight (1959), Sons and Lovers (1960), The Adventures of Alice (1960), No Love for Johnnie (1961), Flame in the Streets (1961), In the Doghouse (1961), Backfire! (1962), The Mind Benders (1963), Panic (1963), Devil Doll* (1964), Dracula: Prince of Darkness* (1966), Frankenstein Created Woman* (1967)

Television: Midshipman Barney / For the Children: Cottage-Pie / Jan at the Blue Fox [4 episodes as Jan] / Worzel Gummidge Turns Detective (1953): Enter Two Scarecrows / Rheingold Theatre: Second Wind / The Windmill Family [2 episodes as The Rev. Allbright] / The Mulberry Accelerator [6 episodes as Uncle Robin] / Patrol Car: The Innocent Victims / The Blakes / Theatre Royal: Bride Wore an Opal Ring / BBC Sunday-Night Theatre: Manhandled / Rex Milligan [2 episodes as Dr. Stallybone] / Adventure Theater: Thirty Days to Die / New Ramps for Old: Strictly Legal / Bill Radford: Reporter: Star Turn / Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde [2 episodes as Gabriel John Utterson] / Armchair Theatre: Tears in the Wind / Boyd Q.C.: At the Third Stroke / Armchair Theatre: Now Let Him Go / Dixon of Dock Green: The Nelson Touch / Life with the Lyons: Where There's a Will / The Adventures of Robin Hood: The Mark / The Adventures of Robin Hood: The Charter / ITV Television Playhouse: Test of Truth / The Invisible Armies / Sailor of Fortune: Hearse at High Noon / Starr and Company [52 episodes as Jim Turner] / ITV Play of the Week: The Killing of the King / Hancock's Half Hour: Twelve Angry Men / Ask for King Billy / The Flying Doctor: Boomerang / Strife [3 episodes as Henry Thomas] / A Life of Bliss: Plead Guilty / Emma [6 episodes as Mr. Weston] / The Secret Kingdom / Interpol Calling: The Absent Assassin / Deadline Midnight / Emergency-Ward 10 [3 episodes as the Padre] / The Adventures of Tom Sawyer [2 episodes as Mr. Jones] / Saturday Playhouse: The Bachelor Brothers / The Cheaters: The Fine Print / Harpers West One / Bonehead: Dig That Treasure / The Edgar Wallace Mystery Theatre: Backfire! / The Six Proud Walkers [6 episodes as Uncle Robin] / Z Cars [8 episodes, different characters (1962-1973)] / No Hiding Place: The Skeleton Wore Boots / Silent Evidence: The Desirable Propety / Dr. Finlay's Casebook [3 episodes as Police Sergeant] / The Old Curiosity Shop [6 episodes as Mr.Garland (1962-1963)] / Tales of Mystery: Dream Cottage / Ghost Squad: The Retirement of the Gentle Dove / Maigret: The Crime at Lock 14 / Detective: The Moving Toyshop / Rupert of Hentzau [2 episodes as Herbert] / Silas Marner [3 episodes as Macey] / The Old Wives' Tale: Sisters / The Mill on the Floss: High Tide / Reluctant Bandit [2 episodes as Turi] / Gideon C.I.D.: The Wall / The Flying Swan: The Streets / Compact: Appearances Can Be Deceptive / The Mind of the Enemy [5 episodes as Barlow] / Heiress of Garth [2 episodes as Purslow] / Jury Room: The Baccarat Scandal / The Newcomers [20 episodes as Cornwallis (1965-1966)] / Quick Before They Catch Us [3 episodes as Scott] / Television Club [3 episodes as Sam Barnard] / The Forsyte Saga [2 episodes as Pettigrew] / Conqueror's Road [7 episodes as Jonathan Pitt-Royden] / Angel Pavement: Up and Up / Vanity Fair [2 episodes as Raggles] / Point Counter Point: A Frog He Would A-Wooing Go / The First Lady: Upset / Pere Goriot: Gilded Youth / Resurrection: Temptation

After Who:
Films: None
Television: The Troubleshooters: They've More Than Their Assets Frozen / Hadleigh: The Ring / The Doctors / Sentimental Education: A Start to Loving / ittle Women [3 episodes as Rodgers] / Horizon: The Gargantuan Triumph of Science / Little Big Time [7 episodes as Clockwork King] / Fathers and Sons / The Moonstone [2 episodes as Dr. Candy] / Treasure Over the Water [2 episodes as Grandfather] / Public Eye: The Golden Boy / Thursday's Child: Light in the Window

Old 28th February 2021, 10:18 AM
Cult Master

Best of 2020-21 Awards: The Winners / Doctor Who TV

Earlier this month, Doctor Who TV asked you to vote in our awards celebrating the best of the show from the past year. After almost 10,000 votes we can now present the results.

Best Visual Effects: “Revolution of the Daleks” - With 31.7% of the overall vote.

Best Music Score: Spyfall, Part 1 - With 27% of the overall vote.

Best Director: Jamie Magnus Stone (“Spyfall, Part 1”, “Praxeus”, “Ascension of the Cybermen” & “The Timeless Children”) - With 33.4% of the overall vote.

Best Writer: Maxine Alderton (The Haunting of Villa Diodati) - With 41.4% of the overall vote.

Best Episode: Fugitive of the Judoon - With 39% of the overall vote.

Best New Monster or Villain: Ashad - With 57.8% of the overall vote.

Best Returning Monster or Villain: The Master - With 56.6% of the overall vote.

Best Lead Actor: John Barrowman – Jack Harkness - With 38% of the overall vote.

Best Male Guest Actor: Sacha Dhawan – O / The Master - With 57.8% of the overall vote.

Best Female Guest Actor: Jo Martin – Ruth Clayton / The Doctor - With 68% of the overall vote

Old 28th February 2021, 11:07 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Image of the Day # 684

William Russell (Ian Chesterton) and William Hartnell (The Doctor) on the set of Marco Polo (1964).

Attached Images
File Type: jpg marco-polo-additional-picture.jpg (66.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 1st March 2021, 06:23 AM
Cult Master

Who: Before And After #328
Name: Derrick Slater
Year(s): 1969
Stories: The Seeds Of Death episode 4
Character(s): Security Guard

Before Who:
Film: None
Television: Storyboard: Tickets to Trieste / The Bacchae / Corrigan Blake: The Scientific Approach / Softly Softly: Minor Incident /

After Who:
Films: To Encourage the Others (1972)n Phoelix (1979),
Television: The Elusive Pimpernel: The Shadow of the Guillotine / ITV Sunday Night Theatre: Steve / The Expert: Lethal Weapon / Pegasus: More Than Our Lives Are Worth / Paul Temple: Murder in Munich: Part 1 / Z Cars: Who's Sylvia, Then? / Owen, M.D.: The Whole Hog / The Brothers: The Party / Churchill's People: The Whip of Heaven / Softly Softly: Task Force: Blind Alley / Treasure Island [2 episodes as Tom] / Secret Army: Just Light the Blue Touch-Paper / A Tale of Two Cities / Nancy Astor: Scandals / Cockles: King Neptune / Moonfleet: Let us hob and knob with death / Late Starter

Like this? Share it using the links below!