Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28657Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2010, 12:15 PM
Active Cultist

Yeah, Hartnell was great as the Doctor, my favourite Hartnell story that still exists is probably The Time Meddler, the Meddling Monk character was great.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:22 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The Monk (Peter Butterworth) also reappeared in The Daleks Master Plan though alas most of this story has been exterminated.
Old 27th March 2010, 12:24 PM
Active Cultist

Have you seen the colourisations video on YouTube? Basically someone has colourised certain scenes from Hartnell and Troughton stories, all done in Adobe Photoshop, one frame at a time. It's absolutely amazing, just something to behold. I know that they should be viewed in black and white, but the fact that this guy has taken to the time to go through frame by frame to colourise them and show us what they would have looked like in colour is amazing.

Here is the video:

Old 27th March 2010, 02:56 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Wow! Those scenes look good.I know colourized film can look a little unnatural but it would be interesting to see some of these in colour (providing the original B/W versions are included of course).Colourization has come a long way since the 80's.The colourized version of It's A Wonderful Life looks pretty darn good.
Old 27th March 2010, 03:48 PM
Active Cultist

Yeah, it would be cool if for the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who they colourised some stuff for a DVD release and included the original black and white versions, that would be awesome.
Old 27th March 2010, 07:49 PM
Ex-member

Wow! That actually looks damn good. he even got the coloured light FX down where it was shining on just half of the face.

Agreed, these would make good bonus additions on the DVD's. Get more young kids interested in the old shows too. Best of all were the Daleks and Michael Gough.

Impressive...Hell looked better than some of those professional colourisation jobs done a a few years back on stuff like "NOTLD" and "Scrooge".
Old 27th March 2010, 10:46 PM
Cultist

the colouring in that is really good, it would be cool if it was added as bonus on the dvd or something, bust take forever would that be done frame by frame?
Old 27th March 2010, 11:18 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debzz View Post
the colouring in that is really good, it would be cool if it was added as bonus on the dvd or something, bust take forever would that be done frame by frame?
The guy who made that video colourised it frame by frame using Adobe Photoshop. But I'm guessing there would be more advanced ways of doing it for professionals at the BBC or the restoration team who work on the classic Doctor Who releases.
Old 28th March 2010, 08:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Good interview with Matt Smith on Jonathan Ross on Friday night.

Also a nice touch - they showed a clip from a future episode ( Vampires In Venice ) when the Doctor showed his id card and it had a photo of William Hartnell on it
Old 29th March 2010, 03:38 PM
Cult Addict

It has to be 'The Invasion of time' with Tom Baker for me. The surprise twist in the middle of the story revealing the Sontarins is just class. Btw, I love the way they have incorparated new cgi effects into the dvds. Brings the storys bang up to date if you watch them with the cgi (well, it does in my jaded mind lol).

Like this? Share it using the links below!