Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Poll: Who's your favourite Doctor?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Who's your favourite Doctor?

Like Tree28504Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th April 2010, 11:56 AM
Ex-member

The new console looks far too chaotic to me...And what was that empty glass bottle going up and down?
Looked more like a mad inventor version of the console...Perhaps Cushing's Doctor had a hand in designing it!

As for the new story....

I wish they'd shove the choirs up their arse!! Overblown pretension! Even shoved them on the credit music now.

Smith is still damn weird looking, but I like his performance and I think the old head on young shoulders thing will work well here.
And at least he does not shout and make stupid noises as much as Tennant (or have that shouty pseudo-Cockney shtick).

But (yet again) everything is made very hard to follow (must be half impossible for little kids) thanks to having to SHOUT THE ENTIRE ****ING PLOT AND EXPLANATIONS WHILE RUNNING because you have only one episode to actually tell a complex story.

Worse when the story also has to introduce a new Doctor...Hell the old series could take a total of a whole episode's running time spread throughout the 4 part story just to introduce a new Doctor.

Flawed to buggery by the stupid time restrictions, saddled with pompous choral noise and far too SHOUTY...but it could herald something less tiresome and more watchable than most of the Tennant era.

In fact this whole AGGHHHHHHGGHHHHAGHH attitude of the new re-boot was summed up at Tennant's end by the stupid as hell idea to turn a simple regeneration into a ****ing nuclear explosion that almost destroyed the Tardis (WHY?!) and nearly killed this new Doctor before he even started.
Old 5th April 2010, 01:01 PM
Cult Addict

Hold on now! Lets not tar it with the dreaded Hollyoaks brush, it wasn't THAT bad. Infact I quite enjoyed it. As being a fan of Tennant I was expecting to be saying , Its just not the same without him, but at no point did I find myself doing that. The one thing that I did find slightly repeatative was the veiled warning of impending doom that is to come. It reminded me of the story in which dalek Khan was predicting the future. On the plus side though, how could you not love the dalek at the end in british army green going through the trenches. Class!
Old 10th April 2010, 06:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The thing i find with dr who nowadays is it promises so much yet delivers nothing.....when tonight episode started i thought it wasnt going to be good. i thought the smilers in the boxs where pretty good like the idea, but the whole concept mounted to and deliverd nothing,, and become dull and boring. i also thik that sometimes u cant cram a decent story line in 40 min r so... be good if they built 1 over a period of 3 4 episodes
Old 10th April 2010, 06:53 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

The old classic stories often ran for at least 4 or more episodes. Troughton's The War Games ran to 10 and Hartnell's (mostly missing) The Daleks Masterplan ran to a walloping 12 episodes.
Old 10th April 2010, 07:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

There are a couple of two parters lined up for this series, but I'd prefer them all to be at least two episodes. The thing that made the original series so good was the cliff hangers every week. Even if the following week they would often have a cop out resolution.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 10th April 2010, 09:51 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'd like to see them try a new story over 4 parts,just to see how it goes down with the new viewers.I know old school Who fans would be open to it.If it works,great,if it doesn't then at least they've tried.
Old 11th April 2010, 09:28 AM
Active Cultist

Yeah the classic series cliff hangers were superb. They actually had you shouting 'OMGWTF?! , how is the Doctor and/or companion going to survive that' and made you want to find out. Then usually it was something cheesey but who cares, it was still awesome and highly entertaining. I think these days, there is far too much music played over scenes, I think they use music in abundance on TV these days to hide poor acting and rubbish writing. Go back to classic Who, not one use of bloody stupid music over a scene, yeah, the acting was quite bad a lot of the time but the writing made up for that the majority of the time.

I just can't take to new Doctor Who at all to be honest, and I doubt I ever will. I have recently gone back and watched the full Eccleston series, and I actually found it to be very watchable and enjoyable but it will never be a patch on any of the classic series.
Old 11th April 2010, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Just watched Episode 1 and thought the story sucked but Matt shows promise as the Doctor. Hoping this will pick up in next few episodes. Looking forward to follow up story to Blink!
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 12th April 2010, 12:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Some of my favourite Who stories are the six or seven part Jon Pertwee tales. I don't feel they're 'padded' at all - just gripping from start to finish.

Saturday night's story tried to cram a bit too much into one 45 minute tale, which is a pity. I also thought the Smilers were underused.

I can't ever see the Beeb doing four parters again, but maybe a series of two parters spread across two nights ( to placate the crap attention span of today's viewers ) might be an idea?
Old 12th April 2010, 01:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I thought the smilers where a gr8 creature at the opening scenes then just went down hill.. i realy dont think u can a decent story line in just 45 min the prob is there eg 13 12 episodes where they come up with 12 13 dif creatures etc, even if they do use old creature like the daleks all the time that the actual story plot etc is left behind because there sometimes trying to much to come up with new ideas that sometimes fail miserable... dont get me wrong the odd episode is good i like the staue angels in blink they where excellent, i do think they do come up with some realy good creatures even if they dont do much with them... i thought the oods where good creature def dif

Like this? Share it using the links below!