Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Sci-Fi & Fantasy (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=542)
-   -   The Doctor Who Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/sci-fi-fantasy/2137-doctor-who-thread.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st January 2010 09:06 PM

The Doctor Who Thread

Anyone catch the final episodes of David Tennants tenure as the doctor and what did you think about it? Live up to expectations? or a pile of old rubbish? I personally thought it was ok but nothing special.A lot of speculation going on by people before it was aired,myself included,which never happened.And what does everyone think of the next doctor,Matt Smith? I realize we only saw him for about a minute and there is a promo online for the new series in the spring but I just can't see him being as popular as Tennant,He even sounded like a bit of a wet blanket in the scene at the end of the episode.I can see Doctor Who ending up on CBBC with the sarah Jane Adventures :lol:

vincenzo 1st January 2010 09:33 PM

Singularly unimpressed, as I have been with the return of Dr Who in general.

It started to descend into the 'guest star/bad script' days of the 80's within a few months of the series returning, and I can't see this changing much in the future.

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st January 2010 09:40 PM

It's been a good run in general for the new series I think.Younger viewers wouldn't touch the older Doctor Who episodes with the proverbial bargepole but new Who does lack the punch that old Who packed.I do prefer the oldr stories over a period of episodes instead of the newer self contained stories and while David Tennant has,imo been a fantastic doctor,for me Tom Baker will always be No1,folloewd by John Pertwee.

vincenzo 1st January 2010 09:46 PM

I can't say I've enjoyed any of the Tennant stories, and would rate him among the worst Doctors of all time (along with McCoy & Colin Baker). Chris Eccleston was excellent to begin with but the mediocrity of the scripts soon became apparent.

William Hartnell is my favourite, followed by Jon Pertwee. Tom Baker and (the sadly mostly missing) Patrick Troughton come in as joint 3rd.

I'd like to have seen more of Paul McGann. A shame he only did the TV movie.

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st January 2010 09:59 PM

I liked Tennant a hell of a lot better than Colin baker or Sylvester McCoy.The Trial Of A Timelord with CB was an underrated story.I really wished there was a regeneration with McGann at the beginning of the Eccleston era an would liked to have seen more of him,I enjoyed the tv movie a lot and though Eric Roberts made a good Master.That was one of the rumours about The End Of Time,that perhaps McGann would appear as his doctor was part of the time war but alas it never happened.

vincenzo 1st January 2010 10:18 PM

Yes the McGann/Eccleston regeneration was never really explained alas. McGann showed real promise as the Doctor and it's a shame it only lasted for one film.

My ideal choices for the Doctor & Master would be Bill Nighy & Alan Rickman. It'll never happen but it's worth imagining. :cool:

42ndStreetFreak 2nd January 2010 12:23 AM

Not really a fan of new "Dr Who". And I hate all the SHOUTING and running, and running while SHOUTING.

This AAAAAGAAGAGAHAHAHAGAGAGGGAAGGGGAAAHHHHH attitude reached farcical levels in this last episode when the simple regeneration process suddenly becomes an explosion in a nuclear firework factory!
This one was so bad it almost blew the ****ing TARDIS apart!! WTF!

I did like the back story reveal on The Master and why he really went nutty. Very clever little plot point after all these decades.

The story was too hard for most kids to follow I think (my 5 year old Daughter, BIG Dalek fan, was lost) and when added to the (nicely done actually) darker aspect of The Doctor being so emotionally worn down by his centuries of flight, loss and battle...means "Dr Who" has really become a teen show today at least.

Can't beat a bit of Pertwee or prime Baker though.

DeadAlive 2nd January 2010 10:15 AM

After all the talk about how emotional this final episode was meant to be I found it rather hollow and boring. Most of the last 15 minutes were pretty cringeworthy with all those "guest" appearances. The only person I could see getting emotional was David Tennant himself. My daughter loves Tennant as the Doctor and her fist look at Matt Smith was met with an "Oh no!", but she has no real experience of the classic Doctors, who for me were Troughton, Pertwee and Tom Baker. Colin Baker had some good moments too and as Vincenzo said, Eccleston started off well, but he had no intention of staying past the first series. We'll have to see how this goes in the spring with a new Doctor and a new writer/producer, but I'm not rasing my hopes up too high.

vincenzo 2nd January 2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak (Post 55718)
Can't beat a bit of Pertwee or prime Baker though.

Hear, hear. Throw some early Hartnell into the mix and you get TV Heaven. :cool:

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd January 2010 04:54 PM

I sold all of my Doctor Who dvds recently,over 40 of them,a lot of Tom Baker and Pertwee stories and now I'm seriously regretting it.Damn this stupid credit crunch :lol:

gag 2nd January 2010 04:56 PM

I been a bit give and take... a lot of the 1hr specials etc etc i found all to be pants as a whole i didnt mind David tennant but i preferd christopher eccleston
1 of my fav episodes have been the Blink where you not to look at the statues.. i found that realy good on many levels, the problem is i find there relying a lot on dr old enemies....just keep bringing back old enemies and revamping them

DeadAlive 3rd January 2010 10:28 AM

Blink was the best episode of the Tennant incarnation IMHO. Strange that The Doctor is almost a supporting character in that story

Mojo 3rd January 2010 06:13 PM

'Blink' was an absolute classic.
Looks like the Weeping Angels are back for the next series ... ;)

LineSix 23rd March 2010 04:43 PM

Doctor Who

Hi

I can't believe theres no Doctor Who thread, one of the greatest Sci-Fi series of all time, and my personal favourite. I actually grew up at a time when Doctor Who wasn't even on TV (the 90's), so I'm wedged between the classic series and the new series. I started watching the classic series at an early age and have been a fan ever since. I actually don't like the new series to be honest, I had gotten used to the 'cheap' and 'old fashioned' way the classic series was made, so when I saw the new and flashy series I just couldn't take to it at all and I've only watched a few episodes of it.

I'm actually looking forward to this new Doctor though, Matt Smith, he actually looks the part and has a Troughton-esque thing going.

Of course my favourite classic Doctor is Patrick Troughton, he didn't do a bad story in my opinion and it sucks that most of his stories are lost forever, although the audio reproductions are superb and really capture the feel.

Anyway, I just thought I would get a bit of Doctor Who discussion going.

Thanks.

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 04:48 PM

Threads merged. ;)

LineSix 23rd March 2010 05:04 PM

I didn't even realise there was a Doctor Who thread, I searched for 'Doctor Who' and nothing came up... :dizzy:

Stephen@Cult Labs 23rd March 2010 05:06 PM

Strange.Well not to worry,all mashed together now. :)

vincenzo 23rd March 2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LineSix (Post 68929)
Of course my favourite classic Doctor is Patrick Troughton, he didn't do a bad story in my opinion and it sucks that most of his stories are lost forever

Hartnell was my favourite but I agree about Troughton. Only 6 complete stories out of 21 survive which is unforgivable. He was a fine successor to Hartnell, just as Pertwee was an excellent successor to Troughton.

It all seemed to go wrong after Tom Baker. :ohwell:

Debzz 24th March 2010 04:09 PM

i love Doctor Who!! the old ones, not too keen on the new ones though!
the mind robber is one of my favourites! :D
i actually quite like some of sylvester mccoys ones! his later ones like ghost light and curse of fenric!
i love robots of death!!

Mojo 24th March 2010 06:39 PM

I rate The Mind Robber highly, too. It's a travesty that so many of Pat Troughton's stories are lost. He is definitely one of my favourite Doctors.

Tom Baker, then Jon Pertwee then Pat T.

Great choice with Robots Of Death . Classic!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 08:18 PM

I used to watch Dr Who all the time when I was kid. My mum used to work with someone who had nearly all the episodes on VHS, and we used to borrow them, so I've probably seen the vast majority of the seven Dr's adventures. :biggrin:

I used to read the old Target books when I was young too, one of my favourites being The Celestial Toymaker, of which I think only two of the televised episodes remain(?). In no way a 'challenging read' ;), but they were absorbing and fun - I could usually read two a night.

My favourite Doctor's were Troughton and Tom Baker - Both legendary! :nod:

As for my favourite story, I would probably have to go with The Tomb of the Cybermen from the Troughton era, yet there were many others that I loved: Genesis of the Daleks, Inferno, The Green Death, Terror of the Autons, The Talons of Weng-Chiang... :cool:

I don't rate the new Dr Who at all. It feels cheap, empty, and very cobbled together. It also seems to have got very 'dumbed down', and almost seems to rely on z-list celebrity cameos to carry it over the ratings barrier. With the classic stories, it used to be enjoyable watching a story unfold over about 8 or so 30 minute episodes, now an entire story is usually crammed into about 40 minutes of cheap CGI-heavy drivel. That said, Christopher Eccleston made a pretty good Dr. :nod:

Pointless Dr Who trivia fact: The story The Five Doctors was released on the day, month, & year I was born! :biggrin:

LineSix 24th March 2010 08:28 PM

Yeah, one of the many reasons I dislike the new series is the way it's just one story per 45 minute episode. Whereas the classic series had a story develop over four, six, eight or even twelve episodes in the case of The Daleks' Master Plan. Time was taken for proper plot development, cliff hangers at the end of the episodes were amazing, the Doctor getting into a situation that you think 'How the hell is he going to get out of that situation/survive that?!' :eek:

It just feels like a soap opera these days with flashy CGI, Z-list celebs etc. I understand that they can't make it like the old series because it won't appeal to as wide an audience, but I feel it just doesn't have anything in common with what made the classic series so special.

And all of that coming from a person that grew up when Doctor Who wasn't even actively on TV. I used to watch all the UK Gold weekend omnibuses, all of the VHS I could find and afford, and I also read the novels aswell, just superb stuff.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LineSix (Post 69272)
...And all of that coming from a person that grew up when Doctor Who wasn't even actively on TV. I used to watch all the UK Gold weekend omnibuses, all of the VHS I could find and afford, and I also read the novels aswell, just superb stuff.

Yeah me too - I think McCoy was coming to the end of his run when I was a toddler! :biggrin: :lol:

Debzz 24th March 2010 09:02 PM

yeah it is such a shame that a lot of troughton stories are missing! he was an amazing doctor!!
i quite liked how they did the invasion using animation to do the missing scenes, they should do that to more i think!
mind robber and robots of death definitely two of the greatest episodes ever!!
i also love genesis of the daleks.

LineSix 24th March 2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debzz (Post 69291)
i quite liked how they did the invasion using animation to do the missing scenes, they should do that to more i think!

I'm pretty sure they are actually in the process of doing more animations for the lost episodes to get the serials out on DVD.

Debzz 24th March 2010 09:10 PM

yaaaaaas thats exciting!!

do u know which stories? i would love it if celestial toymaker was animated.

LineSix 24th March 2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debzz (Post 69293)
yaaaaaas thats exciting!!

do u know which stories? i would love it if celestial toymaker was animated.

I'm not sure to be honest, I think The Tenth Planet was one of them, Hartnell's last serial.

Debzz 24th March 2010 09:22 PM

that would be cool!
i've always wanted to see tenth planet!
i think the cybermen look pretty scary in this one!

:D

LineSix 24th March 2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debzz (Post 69299)
that would be cool!
i've always wanted to see tenth planet!
i think the cybermen look pretty scary in this one!

Yeah, the original Cybermen were quite weird looking.

Mojo 24th March 2010 09:25 PM

I enjoyed the animated episodes of The Invasion ( the best ever Cybermen story! ) and look forward to other lost serials getting the same treatment.

As for the new series, I have to say I am looking forward to the next series under the guidance of chief writer Steven Moffat, who looks to be taking it away from RTD's ever increasing soap opera slush and into darker territory.

'Smilers', anyone?..

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/smilers.jpg

LineSix 24th March 2010 09:30 PM

Yeah, I have to say, I've had zero interest in the modern series but this new series has actually got me interested and quite excited, it looks really good, Matt Smith actually looks the part and reminds me of Troughton somewhat, I'll definitely be tuning in for the new series.

Debzz 24th March 2010 09:31 PM

wooo
is that gonna be in the new series??
that looks very creepy!
woohoo rtd's soap opera slushs wont be in the new series...hopefully

Mojo 24th March 2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debzz (Post 69308)
wooo
is that gonna be in the new series??
that looks very creepy!
woohoo rtd's soap opera slushs wont be in the new series...hopefully

It is! ( second episode I think ).

Debzz 24th March 2010 09:35 PM

that picture has now made me excited for the new series.
when is it the new series starts? april?

vincenzo 24th March 2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 69302)

Blimey it's John Prescott!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye (Post 69266)
one of my favourites being The Celestial Toymaker, of which I think only two of the televised episodes remain(?).

Yes sadly this is one of the victims of the BBC wipe. Only episode 4 (of the 4 episodes) still exists. The main casualties came during 1966-68. Namely Hartnell's final season and Troughton's first two, including his encounters with the Daleks and the Yeti. Very few complete stories survive from this period. Also completely missing (bar the audio) is Hartnell's early epic Marco Polo. :(

The final episode of The Tenth Planet is one of the top 10 on the BBC's missing 'hit list'. The VHS version attempted bravely to reconstruct it through audio, telesnaps, stills and the 3 mins or so surviving footage (which luckily includes the regeneration scene).

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debzz (Post 69310)
that picture has now made me excited for the new series.
when is it the new series starts? april?

It should be April 1st by the looks of it :lol: Can you tell I can't seem to muster up any excitement for it? I'll probably change my mind 5 minutes into the first episode.

Debzz 24th March 2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 69313)
It should be April 1st by the looks of it :lol: Can you tell I can't seem to muster up any excitement for it? I'll probably change my mind 5 minutes into the first episode.

hahahahahahahahahaha.
yeah, i was excited for the david tennent ones, but then after a few episodes i got bored and wanted to punch his face :P
but i'm hoping this series is good!
none of the new eps even come close to as being as good as the old series! and i haven't watched any of the new ones more that once.

Stephen@Cult Labs 24th March 2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debzz (Post 69317)
none of the new eps even come close to as being as good as the old series! and i haven't watched any of the new ones more that once.

Snap.Even if I turn over and they're on BBC3,I turn away again.Mulitple viewings of Baker classics like The Horror Of Fang Rock,The Talons Of Weng-Chiang,The Brain Of Morbius and Genesis Of The Daleks gets me my required fix of Who. :D

vincenzo 24th March 2010 09:59 PM

The Three Doctors and Hartnell's Inside The Spaceship (Edge Of Destruction) are my favourites.

LineSix 24th March 2010 10:00 PM

I can spend all day watching multiple serials of the classic series, one after another, of any classic Doctor. I can watch maybe two new Who episodes and then I get bored. :dizzy:

I don't really want to turn this thread into 'Slag off the new Doctor Who', but I guess most of us share the same opinion that the classics are far superior to the modern re-imagining.