Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

The Thing from Another World (1951)

Old 27th November 2016, 07:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Day of the Triffids 1962

The Day of the Triffids

As a genre there has not really been that many killer plant movies,segment in Dr. Terror’s House of Horrors , Donald Pleasance turning young 1970s students into plants in The Mutations,Steve King going green in The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill episode of Creepshow and Im sure there is another killer vine movie out there somewhere's and there has bound to of been at least one Dr Who episode with a rampaging plant in its story. I suppose on the whole we see plants as rather sedentary and placid things,plus they do not have legs which makes it easy to runaway from. Still this all changed with John Wyndham's novel The Day of the Triffids,as these lumbering penis shaped rose bushes manage to waddle around quite well and blind and kill anybody they came across including the odd canine.Of course when ever its gets a bit Beyond the Thunderdome on earth,its not just the killer plants that are the problem but the surviving humans,most of which are blinded by a meteorite,are bumping into things and just generally annoying each other.In this 1962 adaptation Howard Keel is the last man standing as he was all bandaged up in hospital ,(how convenient a plot device) when the rest of the planet was getting bombarded by an early fireworks night. Its no secret that 28 Days Later (2002) was influenced by this part of the story,which is good because they ripped it off whole sale id say. But like slow zombies and the Inland revenue,the Triffids always manage to get you when you least expect it.And while they might look like the kind of trees you would get in a school play,the Triffids in this version do have a kind of weird nightmare appearance,even if they do shuffle along like an old lady .Its all great B-movie fun,especially when Keel goes all Rambo with his machine gun,something he never did in Dallas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg day_of_triffids_poster_02.jpg (105.1 KB, 1 views)

Old 2nd March 2017, 10:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Dr. Cyclops (1940, USA)

There did not seem to be a thread for 1940's sci-fi,so I stuck it here.

Dr Cyclops (1940)

What first stands out as the film begins,is how extraordinarily vibrant the color is on the screen,which seems quite incredible when you consider how old it is.And although I love black and white films,you do begin to wonder what other films from that era would of looked like in this vibrant color.The story see's Albert Dekker as Dr. Thorkel,summon some other scientist to his hide out in the deepest dankest jungles of Peru,where he has been secretly been experimenting,on what you may ask?? well we do not find out until his colleagues start to get on his nerves,he then tricks them into a room ,and hey presto he shrinks the whole lot of them down to size,well about twelve inches to be precise.Yes Dr Cyclops has got himself a shrinking gizmo,that's probably not the technical term but it will do.Its quite extraordinary to think that this movie was made in 1940,especially considering how much better it is compared to say Honey I shrunk the Kids (1989) ,and the special effect's are equally effective to anything that was in that film,it has some excellent miniature effects work and would certainly make a great double bill with The Incredible Shrinking Man.When checking out the credits on the WWW,I was surprised to read that the film has some underling but unintentional references to world war 2,with Dr Cyclops looking decidedly Japanese and his gizmo drawing power from a radium mine. (nuclear power) To be honest my mind was working in a total different direction,in one scene Frank Yaconelli as Pedro,is trying to talk to his dog,unfortunately Pedro is only twelve inches high,and well his dogs genitals would of been in his eye level,slightly off putting when your that tall. Directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack, who made not only King KOng but the equally brilliant The Most Dangerous Game,does a sterling job in keeping the action flowing,although at 77 minutes its not exactly Gone with the Wind either. Whether you want a dose of quick B-Movie science fiction or you have a thing for shrinking things,you could do no worse than this cracking film,my only gripe was that when Dr Cyclops shrunk the group,there clothes didn't shrink with them,but when we next see them they are conveniently wearing bed sheets or probably handkerchiefs as toga's,still a great entertaining movie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dr_cyclops_poster_06.jpg (95.9 KB, 0 views)

Old 28th April 2017, 09:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
There did not seem to be a thread for 1940's sci-fi,so I stuck it here.

Dr Cyclops (1940)

What first stands out as the film begins,is how extraordinarily vibrant the color is on the screen,which seems quite incredible when you consider how old it is.And although I love black and white films,you do begin to wonder what other films from that era would of looked like in this vibrant color.The story see's Albert Dekker as Dr. Thorkel,summon some other scientist to his hide out in the deepest dankest jungles of Peru,where he has been secretly been experimenting,on what you may ask?? well we do not find out until his colleagues start to get on his nerves,he then tricks them into a room ,and hey presto he shrinks the whole lot of them down to size,well about twelve inches to be precise.Yes Dr Cyclops has got himself a shrinking gizmo,that's probably not the technical term but it will do.Its quite extraordinary to think that this movie was made in 1940,especially considering how much better it is compared to say Honey I shrunk the Kids (1989) ,and the special effect's are equally effective to anything that was in that film,it has some excellent miniature effects work and would certainly make a great double bill with The Incredible Shrinking Man.When checking out the credits on the WWW,I was surprised to read that the film has some underling but unintentional references to world war 2,with Dr Cyclops looking decidedly Japanese and his gizmo drawing power from a radium mine. (nuclear power) To be honest my mind was working in a total different direction,in one scene Frank Yaconelli as Pedro,is trying to talk to his dog,unfortunately Pedro is only twelve inches high,and well his dogs genitals would of been in his eye level,slightly off putting when your that tall. Directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack, who made not only King KOng but the equally brilliant The Most Dangerous Game,does a sterling job in keeping the action flowing,although at 77 minutes its not exactly Gone with the Wind either. Whether you want a dose of quick B-Movie science fiction or you have a thing for shrinking things,you could do no worse than this cracking film,my only gripe was that when Dr Cyclops shrunk the group,there clothes didn't shrink with them,but when we next see them they are conveniently wearing bed sheets or probably handkerchiefs as toga's,still a great entertaining movie.
Love this. Great review!! It needs more fans certainly ....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th September 2017, 09:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default b

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cap_0001.jpg (44.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0005.jpg (72.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0010.jpg (37.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0016.jpg (56.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0017.jpg (68.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0018.jpg (67.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0026.jpg (47.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0029.jpg (46.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0036.jpg (68.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0032.jpg (68.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0074.jpg (48.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0099.jpg (46.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0119.jpg (64.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0360.jpg (56.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0362.jpg (67.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0463.jpg (62.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0832.jpg (69.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0557.jpg (43.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0666.jpg (46.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0737.jpg (46.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0936.jpg (63.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_0960.jpg (32.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1001.jpg (44.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1080.jpg (52.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1071.jpg (40.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1092.jpg (47.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1113.jpg (41.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1128.jpg (41.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1197.jpg (51.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1241.jpg (68.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1323.jpg (37.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1324.jpg (42.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1327.jpg (44.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1328.jpg (42.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1329.jpg (40.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg cap_1330.jpg (20.6 KB, 2 views)

Old 10th October 2017, 08:18 PM
Cultist

I adore Barbarella - very fond of the comics too.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 15th December 2017, 06:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Black Scorpion (1957)

The Black Scorpion (1957)

20171215-183358.JPG

Nothing good ever comes out of the ground, especially if its got the word giant in front of it.I mean nothing spoils a picnic more than say a giant ant nibbling your jam sandwiches or a rather large mantis stomping around knocking things over, just because it's in a bit of a bad mood.And if you thought Mexican food was a bit scary then you definitely do not want to come across there prehistoric giant scorpions which come scurrying out of there lair after they are disturbed by an erupting volcanic, which intern was created by an earthquake,(gee that's a lot to happen in one day) there none too pleased about being woken up and they go about trampling on house's and the odd police car and maybe snacking on the odd Mexican when the need takes them.As usual, we have dashing American scientist (geologist actually) played by Richard Denning as Dr. Hank Scott and Carlos Rivas as Dr. Arturo Ramos, and of course, we also need a love interest, and since lady scorpions are not that appealing it comes in the very shapely shape of Mara Corday as Teresa Alvarez a local rancher and hottie. And while the effects are little crude and rough and ready around the edges, they are remarkably effective in that primitive way you only get with this type of low budget monster movie.In fact, the scorpions are quite creepy if a little bit otherworldly and are far more sinister in there demeanour than say your average giant ant who is basically a sucker for a big pile of a sugar cube and a marmalade sandwich.Of course, you can always rely on the military to end the fun of any giant creature, that eats trains or tanks and any military personnel not quick enough to outrun these tortilla dodging monsters.Highly recommend for anyone who likes insects the size of a house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171215-183450.JPG (65.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20171215-183521.JPG (73.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20171215-183544.JPG (54.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20171215-183552.JPG (70.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20171215-183659.JPG (60.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20171215-183749.JPG (41.3 KB, 2 views)

Old 15th December 2017, 07:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
The Black Scorpion (1957)

Attachment 199938

Nothing good ever comes out of the ground, especially if its got the word giant in front of it.I mean nothing spoils a picnic more than say a giant ant nibbling your jam sandwiches or a rather large mantis stomping around knocking things over, just because it's in a bit of a bad mood.And if you thought Mexican food was a bit scary then you definitely do not want to come across there prehistoric giant scorpions which come scurrying out of there lair after they are disturbed by an erupting volcanic, which intern was created by an earthquake,(gee that's a lot to happen in one day) there none too pleased about being woken up and they go about trampling on house's and the odd police car and maybe snacking on the odd Mexican when the need takes them.As usual, we have dashing American scientist (geologist actually) played by Richard Denning as Dr. Hank Scott and Carlos Rivas as Dr. Arturo Ramos, and of course, we also need a love interest, and since lady scorpions are not that appealing it comes in the very shapely shape of Mara Corday as Teresa Alvarez a local rancher and hottie. And while the effects are little crude and rough and ready around the edges, they are remarkably effective in that primitive way you only get with this type of low budget monster movie.In fact, the scorpions are quite creepy if a little bit otherworldly and are far more sinister in there demeanour than say your average giant ant who is basically a sucker for a big pile of a sugar cube and a marmalade sandwich.Of course, you can always rely on the military to end the fun of any giant creature, that eats trains or tanks and any military personnel not quick enough to outrun these tortilla dodging monsters.Highly recommend for anyone who likes insects the size of a house.
I only saw this for the first time around 18 months ago. The first thing that struck me was how gory ( for its time ) it was, the Scorpion is bizarre looking and have to agree Inspector, it is quite unnerving, especially the lingering shots of it salivating before it dines on someone. Great monster flick highly recommended.
Old 22nd December 2017, 04:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Attack of the Puppet People (1958)

vlcsnap-2017-12-20-05h54m05s694.jpg

The trouble with Mr. Franz the owner of Dolls Inc,(says what it does on the tin) is that he really makes no attempt to hide his rather eccentric behavior, especially as he keeps all of his victims in jars on a shelve in his reception.The fact that no one ever comes into his office and says, hey isn't that Bob but shrunk down to twelve inches is very surprising since everybody from the girl scouts to the police seems to just wander in uninvited...In fact, Mr. Franz behavior is so oddball and screwy, I'm surprised there wasn't a baying mob wielding pitchforks and burning torches trying to kick his door down.And the scene between him and the little girl who wants her doll repaired is particularly creepy post-Saville. Attack of the Puppet People is a sparsely made and very low budget (I mean the drive-in scene is a prime example of a minimalist budget you are ever likely to see). But whatever Puppet People lacks in budgetary restrictions it more than makes up for it in science fiction hokum and rayguns that can shrink a cat and more importantly a human bean into a pint-sized action figure.Depending on your viewpoint John Hoyt as Mr. Franz is either a sad lonely man who cannot accept rejection and acts accordingly or a sick perv who probably looks up a doll's skirts. Anybody who has ever watched Land of the Giants or the Incredible Shrinking Man, should know the score, basically, a bunch of actors are filmed next to a giant ball of string or a large telephone, which was a surprise to our heroine June Kelley as Sally as she awakens to find herself shrunken down to size and lying next to the biggest phone she's ever come across. Interestingly the other miniature captors have all excepted there fate and only decide to take action once Sally and her boyfriend played John Agar prompt them into trying to escape.Being a Bert I.Gordon film it may come as no surprise that its pure 1950's nonsense, but enjoyable nonsense all the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2017-12-20-05h53m54s164.jpg (19.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2017-12-20-05h54m00s199.jpg (13.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2017-12-20-05h53m25s080.jpg (19.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2017-12-22-16h14m40s377.jpg (18.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2017-12-22-16h15m58s301.jpg (19.7 KB, 4 views)

Old 12th March 2018, 10:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

AOTPP is a strange one alright. Kudos as always A!!

The Angry Red Planet (IB Melchoir)

More scifi hokum from IBM . A lone survivor struggles to tell the tale of a seemingly failed space mission, whilst the viewer struggles to care about such ... if indeed this was meant to be anti communist propaganda, then line me up for 're education' sharpish, as these 4 represent the most hidebound traditionalism imaginable.
When the crew arrive at their destination finding no apparent life signs, they venture out into the unknown. Due to the screen being stained with tomato soup during these sequences, I cannot vouch for the 'reality' of this part ... but my tired peepers were sure glad when it ended . After fighting some rather shit looking puppets, they cut theit losses and head for home ...well, I won't spoil that bit. Decent enough print.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 12th March 2018 at 01:08 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!